Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Everyone in here hates on 645 but I love using the ETRSi, definitely a good camera for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
On the RB67 vs Pentax 67 the last thing I would say it the RB is heavy as hell when compared to the pentax. They're both beasts as far as weight is concerned. The RB is much bulkier then the pentax, and the pentax does have faster glass then the RB, but I bought into the RB system as it was a bit cheaper, and the flexibility the film magazines give you.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The only thing about 645 is it's not a huge amount greater than 35mm, and the lenses are medium format speed. It's a rare system that has a normal lens faster than f/2.8, and the exceptions tend to be spendy. Autofocus systems exist but are expensive as hell. You get more frames than 6x6+, but that means a smaller negative, and it's less frames than 35mm or (especially) digital.

If you're going to put up with MF's downsides, for a main camera I advocate maximizing the negative size. I love my GS645 for a travel camera, it's a fine negative size, but it's not hugely more expensive or inconvenient to do 6x7 or 6x9, and you can't get a f/2 or f/1.4 lens like a 35mm rangefinder.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 16, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I had a crack at Ambrotypes for the first time on the weekend with my new DIY 8x10 camera and Chamonix wet plate holder. Instead of glass I used plexiglass as the substrate to make the negative.

Fence Test - Ambrotype by mr_student, on Flickr

The reason why I was trying to shoot Ambrotypes instead of Tintypes was that I want big contrasty negatives to do alt-printing with. So from that above negative (ambro), I made an Agyrotype print from it, super simple process that I think everyone should have a good at, lots of fun.

Fence Test - Agyrotype by mr_student, on Flickr

I just need to work on making better quality Ambrotypes of more interesting subjects, to hopefully make more interesting prints.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ferris Bueller posted:

On the RB67 vs Pentax 67 the last thing I would say it the RB is heavy as hell when compared to the pentax. They're both beasts as far as weight is concerned. The RB is much bulkier then the pentax, and the pentax does have faster glass then the RB, but I bought into the RB system as it was a bit cheaper, and the flexibility the film magazines give you.

Having bought a Pentax 67 recently, it is a bulky, heavy camera. A lot of the weight is in the prism, so a folding focus hood will make it more manageable.

On that note tho: dang shooting through that hood is real tricky.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The P67 is large, bulky, and the prism is heavy, but it doesn't feel cumbersome. I shot one daily for 2 years and you really really stop noticing how heavy it is given how sensible the rest of the design is.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Dead Tree, Lorinna, Tasmania by Alex Gard, on Flickr
I use LFN wetting agent on the final wash, but even when the sheets are dry they still have little bits of drying marks/residue on the lowest hanging corner. Happens sometimes, not all the time though. Any ideas?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sludge Tank posted:

Dead Tree, Lorinna, Tasmania by Alex Gard, on Flickr
I use LFN wetting agent on the final wash, but even when the sheets are dry they still have little bits of drying marks/residue on the lowest hanging corner. Happens sometimes, not all the time though. Any ideas?

Increased dilution of wetting agent, or barring that your water's hard so mix the chemicals and do a final pre-wetting-agent rinse with distilled water.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

If Sludge is in Tasmania or Victoria the water should be pretty soft.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
In Tassie. On rain/tankwater. We do put it through a purifier before drinking. Maybe i'll try purified for washing.

E: I use the LFN at suggested dilution (10 drops per litre). It doesn't foam up anywhere near as much because I'm really cautious with agitating the mod54 as i've lost a few sheets getting to know it. I tend to use the stirring rod for stop, fixing and final wash and very gentle agitations for dev. I give it a pretty rough ride with roll film and the LFN gets super soapy. Maybe its just not "shAken up" enough

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 18, 2014

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Got my first 2 rolls back from my Yashica C, as well as trying to make use of a $25 craigslist scanner - an Epson 4490. It's a start!

First some Ektar

And some Ektachrome that expired in 1987

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Band shoot.

25 year old expired tmax that's been in a freezer

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Bud posted:

And some Ektachrome that expired in 1987

Sweet! Cool shots. I have a roll of ektachrome that expired about the same time. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

E: Some 4x5 FP4+ from today.

Delapidated House, Wilmot by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Trees, Mole Creek by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Regrowth, Gowrie Park by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 19, 2014

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Went to Miami, shot three rolls, took two acceptable pictures.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Velvia in Kyoto

Tenryuji I, Kyoto, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Tenryuji II, Kyoto, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Tenryuji III, Kyoto, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Picked up a Polaroid 600 SE with a 127mm lens for super cheap. Beat all to hell but it works! Now I'm looking for a 6x9 back.

Overexposed but just a test shot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else tried Ultrafine Xtreme black & white 120 film? I got a brick of it for Christmas and I could not get that stuff loaded for the life of me. It felt like the film leader was short so I didn't have room to tighten everything into the film back before I missed my arrow.

After two wasted rolls I pulled out some Ilford and everything was right again.

deaders posted:

Everyone in here hates on 645 but I love using the ETRSi, definitely a good camera for the money.

I love my Bronica. With a 220 back you can load on Sunday and shoot all week.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Blue Moon camera have put together a handy little guide for anyone wanting a medium format camera:

http://codex.bluemooncamera.com/2014/02/21/becoming-medium-format/

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

Picked up a Polaroid 600 SE with a 127mm lens for super cheap. Beat all to hell but it works! Now I'm looking for a 6x9 back.

Overexposed but just a test shot.

Nice find! Aren't the film adapters and film backs for this camera hard to find/super expensive? One of the reasons why I went with the Mamiya Press Pro.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fuji Provia 400x I shot on a Bronica SQ-A

Affaire by Quantum of Phallus

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Putrid Grin posted:

Nice find! Aren't the film adapters and film backs for this camera hard to find/super expensive? One of the reasons why I went with the Mamiya Press Pro.

Polaroid 600 SE by natebol, on Flickr

This is probably the coolest camera I have ever used. Shot a box and 1/2 of film today. Yes the backs are rare and expensive but part of the fun of Polaroid stuff for me is the hunt. I would have been an idiot to not buy this for so cheap. My only issue with it so far is I feel the 127mm is too wide. I need to pick up the 150mm.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 23, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yay new toy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009
My grandmothers birthday is next month so I got this as a surprise for her. she is going to be pissed for a little bit. Done by Cody Rutland at Death Before Dishonor in San Jose. Her name is Anita. She gave me hers a few years ago.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OjaiYoda posted:

she is going to be pissed for a little bit.

I'm an rear end for saying this but you wrote her name on an object which looks like a robot tombstone and had it permanently inked on your skin.
e: decent tattoo though

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 3, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

OjaiYoda posted:

My grandmothers birthday is next month so I got this as a surprise for her. she is going to be pissed for a little bit. Done by Cody Rutland at Death Before Dishonor in San Jose. Her name is Anita. She gave me hers a few years ago.

That sure is a tattoo.

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm an rear end for saying this but you wrote her name on an object which looks like a robot tombstone and had it permanently inked on your skin.
e: decent tattoo though

when she asks me what i have done, i will reply that i got her a robot tombstone. she will get a laugh at least.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Tree, Midlands by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Wish I'd used stand development. The rest of these negs are super cooked (delta 100, ID-11 1:3 22 mins, stirred not shaken)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aggh crop the border on that, otherwise excellent.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Tree, Midlands by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 6, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I have this skink pinhole kit I bought off ebay. It's just a little pinhole that screws into the compur shutter.

How exactly do I use this? Is there a certain bellows draw I have to use? I can't find a simple tutorial on how to use it.... stupid question as I'm sure it's much easier than I'm giving credit for. I haven't done this stuff since high school. Just not sure how to figure out the f-stop and exposure time.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

I have this skink pinhole kit I bought off ebay. It's just a little pinhole that screws into the compur shutter.

How exactly do I use this? Is there a certain bellows draw I have to use? I can't find a simple tutorial on how to use it.... stupid question as I'm sure it's much easier than I'm giving credit for. I haven't done this stuff since high school. Just not sure how to figure out the f-stop and exposure time.

Maybe this might help? http://www.mrpinhole.com/holesize.php

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Pardon me for being dumb but I still don't quite get it. Is that certain that my pinhole is the same size he uses? I don't quite understand how if it's giving me the precise f-stop?

On the front of this skink pinhole it has: "∅ 43"

If I put in 150mm in the calculator, it says my f-stop is f/290. Is that correct? Is he sure that my pinhole is the right size? I'm really bad at maths so all I see is numbers.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

What does the ebay auction say? All of the Skink auctions that come with the apertures list a pinhole size and suggested focal length.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I haven't stopped taking pictures for some reason.

---_0378 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_0480 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_0838 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_0078 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_0840 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_0101 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

It wouldn't let me do the "share" thing to three of those. not really sure what I'm doing with my life but here are some pictures

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

The new Flickr is weird about letting me share things.
Ektar is a pain to scan.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

---_0101 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Good. Don't stop plz.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 11, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How much direction are you giving your portrait subjects?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -