Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Attorney at Funk posted:

Lion's Eye Diamond is on the Reserved List, I think, so it won't be appearing in paper. They could definitely put that in Vintage Masters, though. Isn't LED like the most expensive card on MTGO?

Most expensive by far.

121/128 for promo and non promo force and 169 for LED at mtgotraders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

an skeleton posted:

I'm guessing that art will be in Conspiracy or something? ^^

Digital products get new art that never sees paper release all the time. Other examples: Force of Will; Hanna, Ship's Navigator; Black Lotus; Orzhov Signet.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Jabor posted:

Kinda want a high-res version of that art for proxies.

Within a couple weeks it will be here. A great source for all your proxying needs. Galleries here and here. They did this with all the moxen + power9 within a week of the new modo art being announced.

edit: Especially useful is their habit of old-bordering and old rule-style text to make vintage decks look more consistent.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 19, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Different strokes. I like that art so much less than the original. It's technically well done, of course.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

I'll never not love the story about how someone designed LED to be the shittiest card ever, and now it's the most widely-played card from that set (block?). I love it when plans hilariously backfire like that.

Mystical Tutor and Flash are both banned in Legacy. Otherwise, both of those would see more play than LED.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I really don't like new frame artifacts vs the old frame ones. Artifacts are brown, not silver.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Looks like MTGO decided that my Omnath was no longer going to get +1/+1 per green mana floating after the first time I played it. What a stupid rear end program.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Niton posted:

It's still kind of surprising, since it implies that the few players who played with it were overall successful with the strategy. The only one that comes close is Boulderfall, and I suspect that's just because Boulderfall got cast a tiny % of the time people included it in their decks.

Maybe Messenger's Speed is a legitimate 22nd/23rd card in aggro archetypes now? :iiam:

It's a card that almost no one includes in their deck, but the few times it actually gets cast it's being used to push through lethal. The way those results are calculated doesn't count the games where it was drawn but never cast, which is probably a lot. Same principle as Boulderfall: decks that are running it might lose a lot, but the games where they actually somehow manage to cast it are the games they win.

It's really bad data.

Look at Chromanticore and Ashen Rider, too. When you only look at the times the card is cast, then of course Ashen Rider wins you games. Not counting games where it was drawn but not cast hugely skews the data.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 19, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Hey it's Magic Online PTQs again: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/02172014/ptqmagic2015

New system in a nutshell:
Each PTQ capped at 256 players, invite only. PTQ preceded by ten preliminary tournaments on the 3-4 days before it. Preliminaries capped at 128 players, five rounds, 4 match wins to qualify for the PTQ. Standard PTQs have Standard preliminaries, Limited PTQs limited preliminaries. Extra staff on hand to oversee events, with more admin tools to handle technical problems with the PTQs.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It might be worth noting that even if all 10 preliminaries fill up, there will only be 240 people qualified for the associated finals. So there's no chance of anyone getting the four preliminary wins and then being unable to play the finals because it's full.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think this system is much better than having huge tournaments, especially for Limited. Having a 700 player Sealed tournament cut to Top 8 means you have to open an insane pool. Only issue I can see is the prelims filling up too quickly.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Lunsku posted:

Hey it's Magic Online PTQs again: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/02172014/ptqmagic2015

New system in a nutshell:
Each PTQ capped at 256 players, invite only. PTQ preceded by ten preliminary tournaments on the 3-4 days before it. Preliminaries capped at 128 players, five rounds, 4 match wins to qualify for the PTQ. Standard PTQs have Standard preliminaries, Limited PTQs limited preliminaries. Extra staff on hand to oversee events, with more admin tools to handle technical problems with the PTQs.

So now we have qualifiers for qualifiers. Finally a real solution that will allow MTGO to be taken seriously.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

JerryLee posted:

Different strokes. I like that art so much less than the original. It's technically well done, of course.

Yeah, this new art is really boring, particularly for a Bizarro World Black Lotus originally printed in one of the most aesthetically distinct (for western fantasy at least) settings they've done.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hopping Ghost posted:

Yeah, this new art is really boring, particularly for a Bizarro World Black Lotus originally printed in one of the most aesthetically distinct (for western fantasy at least) settings they've done.

I still think they should do a block where Zhalfir phases back into existence because reasons and they look around at what's left of Dominaria and it's all "holy poo poo what the gently caress happened." Also Zhalfir returning reignites Teferi's spark and Jace never leaves Ravnica again.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

If you want to make ~your Magic experience~ look cool and unique without spending mortgage payments on JP foils then maybe read this http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/02/19/affordable-luxury/

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I still think they should do a block where Zhalfir phases back into existence because reasons and they look around at what's left of Dominaria and it's all "holy poo poo what the gently caress happened." Also Zhalfir returning reignites Teferi's spark and Jace never leaves Ravnica again.

Seriously Teferi is so much better than Jace, why can't he be the blue walker.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Seriously Teferi is so much better than Jace, why can't he be the blue walker.

Isn't he dead?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It's Magic, nobody is really truly dead.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

What about Urza :can: (or Mishra or Volrath or Gerrard Capashen).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

He was involved with waking up Nicol Bolas, and gave up his spark thousands of years ago to fix a time rift.

But as Mr. Time, there's no reason to suspect that he could possibly die of old age. Also, I want him as the main blue planeswalker so the M:tG movie can star Samuel L. Jackson.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's no way an MTG movie actually happens before 2020.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

But as Mr. Time, there's no reason to suspect that he could possibly die of old age. Also, I want him as the main blue planeswalker so the M:tG movie can star Samuel L. Jackson.

"I've had it with these Mana Leaking Phyrexians, on this Mana Leaking plane!"
"You read the Comprehensive Rules, Jace?"
"Final Judgement. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill everyone in the room, accept no substitutes."

Yes please.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Applebees posted:

Digital products get new art that never sees paper release all the time. Other examples: Force of Will; Hanna, Ship's Navigator; Black Lotus; Orzhov Signet.

Could you link me an image of this? I've never seen it. It seems like an odd one out since it's much more recent than the rest, and Modern-legal.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Say gui again, motherfucker!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

LordSaturn posted:

He was involved with waking up Nicol Bolas, and gave up his spark thousands of years ago to fix a time rift.

I thought he gave up his spark during/right after timespiral which wasn't thousands of years ago in the mtg timeline.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Entropic posted:

There's no way an MTG movie actually happens.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

If you want to make ~your Magic experience~ look cool and unique without spending mortgage payments on JP foils then maybe read this http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/02/19/affordable-luxury/

That was a very cool article, it actually stopped me from buying some zendikar lands and this made me go through my old shards of alara cards and the mountains are quite beautiful, so I will be using them instead. People say unhinged lands are very cool, but what about unglued? I really like their forests. :)

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

No word on miscuts, eh. I guess those aren't exactly budget friendly.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Stinky Pit posted:

There's no way an MTG movie actually happens.

And there have been at least 3 Dungeons and Dragons movies, a movie based on a board game, a movie based on an amusement park ride (that started a humongously successful series) to name a few. Not to mention they are making a movie about the Guardians of the Galaxy, which includes an anthropomorphic raccoon with rocket launchers. At this point I would be more surprised if we DONT end up with a MTG movie before 2020.

That's not saying it will be good.......but I am almost certain it will exist.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bugsy posted:

I thought he gave up his spark during/right after timespiral which wasn't thousands of years ago in the mtg timeline.

Looking it up here: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Timeline#The_Mending

Teferi apparently gives up his spark in 4505, with the storyline currently hovering around 4606 or so, so I guess it's only been about a hundred years.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Time Spiral storm island is one of the better islands that's overlooked imo.

Look at that beauty:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zoness posted:

Time Spiral storm island is one of the better islands that's overlooked imo.

Look at that beauty:

At a quick glance it looks more suited to being a swamp.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Wait a minute. Are you guys saying there is an actual story behind Magic?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

jhorphear posted:

Wait a minute. Are you guys saying there is an actual story behind Magic?

Kind of. I mean planeswalker interact with each other and have motivations, and they retcon changes by story explanation. Like why were planeswalkers not a card then a card? There was some event, and they went from being immortal all powerful beings to much weaker, and blah blah now they're cards.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

MrBling posted:

Magic is actually really good about keeping dead people dead. Who have they "killed" that they then resurrected? They've said they desperately wanted to avoid doing what comic books do.

Samael posted:

That was a very cool article, it actually stopped me from buying some zendikar lands and this made me go through my old shards of alara cards and the mountains are quite beautiful, so I will be using them instead. People say unhinged lands are very cool, but what about unglued? I really like their forests. :)
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I figured the basic land part would be popular.

What a Judas posted:

Those are neither cool looking nor budget friendly.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Magic is actually really good about keeping dead people dead. Who have they "killed" that they then resurrected? They've said they desperately wanted to avoid doing what comic books do.

The Phyrexians. Also Jeska kinda.

What a Judas posted:

What's the proper term for a Mistcutter Hydra that is miscut?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Those are neither cool looking nor budget friendly.

The latter is true but if you think they are not cool looking then you, sir, are no longer a good person.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Anyone know a good place to buy foreign language (Russian or Japanese) basic lands? The Wonder Weapon has me rethinking my Beta Basics.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Didn't MaRo say that Venser will stay dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

The Phyrexians. Also Jeska kinda.

What's the proper term for a Mistcutter Hydra that is miscut?

I like the cut of your jib sir.

• Locked thread