Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MrYenko posted:

VG278H bros unite. :hfive:

I do wish it was a 1440p display, though.

I do too but I rather have 120fps for 2d sidescrollers and FPS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You guys have any recommendations for an ergonomic chair for someone who's 6'9"?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not for someone who's 6'9, but I'd ask Steelcase if any of their chairs are made for people your height.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

From what I remember, it's easier to achieve a steady 1440p @ 60fps than to do 1080p @ 120/144fps, so I ended up getting a 27" 1440p Benq monitor because I don't really play FPS much these days although I did think Borderlands 2 looked great at 1440p60.

For stuff like WoW and Civ V I figured I'd gain more from the extra resolution than extra framerate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Maxwell Adams posted:

The 3d you get from nVidia shutter glasses is way better than the stuff you get from a 3DS. Software support is lacking, though. Most games won't work right in 3d.

UPS is dropping off a replacement pair of the shutter glasses today before I get home. Guess I'll find out tonight if amblyopia is gonna leave those nonfunctional too. It probably won't work, I'm guessing on a violent headache from the shuttering, but we'll see!

That being said, does anyone know if TF2 supports 3D? Failing that, does nVidia provide any demos or something that I can test with?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Ciaphas posted:

That being said, does anyone know if TF2 supports 3D? Failing that, does nVidia provide any demos or something that I can test with?

Source engine games generally work well in 3d, but you might have trouble with the crosshair. Medusa 3d is pretty straight forward.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well, good news: I didn't get a screaming headache or dizzy. Bad news, nothing doing. Opened up TF2, toggled on 3D vision, and saw the same drat thing I always see even at max depth on the control panel.

Not that I was expecting better mind you, and I know 3D isn't exactly gaming Mecca or anything but it still pisses me off. Stupid amblyopic brain, turn on the other god drat eye already t:mad:

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I have one 120Hz monitor and 2 normal 1080p monitors (all roughly the same size and astoundingly I don't notice a difference in lag.). If I wanted to power them all simultaneously for gaming, would I be better served going SLI with my current card or just upgrading outright?

I'm running an overclocked i5-2500k and a GTX 660 2 GB right now. I suppose I'd rather keep going with Nvidia since 3D Vision is a thing I've enjoyed using. 120hz gaming on one monitor will probably benefit with either choice I make.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/04/survival-rpg-reroll-wants-to-map-most-of-the-world/

Have you guys seen this? I love games with big ideas in this genre. The survival/exploration thing has really got me ever since playing the dayz mod.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jippa posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/04/survival-rpg-reroll-wants-to-map-most-of-the-world/

Have you guys seen this? I love games with big ideas in this genre. The survival/exploration thing has really got me ever since playing the dayz mod.

You know they could just use the money they could use developing this and fund an actual game of global hide n seek.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Jippa posted:

So 2 people from management positions want to raise money for a "hot right now" genre with a single gimmick. It will take decades to complete because they want to painstakingly map a majority of the 500+ million kilometers of Earth, most of which will be useless to the player. They have nothing to show for but their previous accomplishments at big studios because their talent is reserved for a minor part in game development. What a joke.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
To the peeps who recommended the Corsair K70 -- thank you! Nice upgrade from my G110.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Has anyone here played Naruto Ninja Whatever 3? I just tried running it, and it is performing very strangely. It's not quite frame stuttering, though there is some of that I think. Instead, it looks like one of those "Xbox processor clock speed" problems that terrible old ports had; the game runs somewhat smoothly, just slowly. A little googling revealed that a lot of people have this issue, but there's also a million solutions posited and none that I've tried so far have worked.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

YourAverageJoe posted:

^^Fabric chairs can lose support really quickly, and they damage more easily.

NihilCredo posted:

Durability is an issue that can be offset by price, though. You could afford 5-6 replacements of those $170 chairs for the price of one $1000 chair, so if the comfort level is similar the maths can easily work out in your favour.

The MARKUS Swivel chair has a 10 year limited warranty that covers the structural frame and any moving parts.

Has anyone owned this chair long enough to witness any breakdown of the fabric that would be cause for putting more money into a better chair? A buddy of mine has one, but i'm not sure he sits in it enough to notice.

I understand the price:performance thing quite well in this regard, however, budgets are getting in my way and this thing seems like it hits the mark well enough. Is this good enough, or am I better off sitting in what is essentially a lawn-chair for another year to pick up something that will last longer than what I'm guessing will be 3-4 years.

e. Didn't mean to bring up an old topic. Just realized I haven't checked in for a while.. :( Any comments are appreciated regardless. Thanks guys.

Edgy Bees fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 11, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is this likely a dying graphics card? (the artifacts in the text)

It goes away on mouse over or when highlighted, and only seems to affect text (or graphics around text). It's not really repeateable. That is there are a few places and pages where it is more likely to happen (like mousing over the unread post count) but it won't always happen. And it seems to be relegated to a small part of a screen if it occurs at all - never the whole page. I've had this occur with Firefox and Chrome, but nothing outside a browser so far (I think). Haven't had trouble with 3D performance either.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Are you using Firefox with an older ATI graphics card? If so, try to update your graphics drivers. Microsoft changed some backend stuff in the lead-up to Internet Explorer 11 that broke things a bit.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 12, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Dark One posted:

Are you using Firefox with an older ATI graphics card?

Yes, crappy HD Radeon (at least 6 years).

Drivers are as new as are available to this card.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rinkles posted:

Yes, crappy HD Radeon (at least 6 years).

Drivers are as new as are available to this card.
No clue if this would make a difference, but try turning off hardware acceleration in Firefox (Options > Advanced > under the General Tab). I was having a much worse problem with my GeForce 560 (it's gone away since I upgraded to a 650) where the computer would randomly lock up and have to be restarted when using Firefox, and this was one of the suggestions. It doesn't look or feel any noticeably different either, so it's worth a try.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

No clue if this would make a difference, but try turning off hardware acceleration in Firefox (Options > Advanced > under the General Tab). I was having a much worse problem with my GeForce 560 (it's gone away since I upgraded to a 650) where the computer would randomly lock up and have to be restarted when using Firefox, and this was one of the suggestions. It doesn't look or feel any noticeably different either, so it's worth a try.

Yes, thanks, that seems to have done it - though it's hard to know for certain immediately. Should have asked earlier (months ago), but I figured the card was right about due a failure anyway. (Though I guess this doesn't disprove entirely that it's the card acting up).

What you described on your end sounds majorly lovely, if indeed it was MS's fault. What I had was a minor annoyance in comparison.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Edgy Bees posted:

The MARKUS Swivel chair has a 10 year limited warranty that covers the structural frame and any moving parts.

Has anyone owned this chair long enough to witness any breakdown of the fabric that would be cause for putting more money into a better chair? A buddy of mine has one, but i'm not sure he sits in it enough to notice.

I understand the price:performance thing quite well in this regard, however, budgets are getting in my way and this thing seems like it hits the mark well enough. Is this good enough, or am I better off sitting in what is essentially a lawn-chair for another year to pick up something that will last longer than what I'm guessing will be 3-4 years.

e. Didn't mean to bring up an old topic. Just realized I haven't checked in for a while.. :( Any comments are appreciated regardless. Thanks guys.

I've had this chair for a couple of months, sit in it for like 14 hours a day and except for the leather on the seat creasing a bit it's like new. Feels really sturdy too (at least for the price / for being from Ikea).

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Christ, I was having this issue as well. I just switched to Chrome instead.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rinkles posted:

Yes, thanks, that seems to have done it - though it's hard to know for certain immediately. Should have asked earlier (months ago), but I figured the card was right about due a failure anyway. (Though I guess this doesn't disprove entirely that it's the card acting up).

What you described on your end sounds majorly lovely, if indeed it was MS's fault. What I had was a minor annoyance in comparison.
Yeah it was pretty stupid, although it seems like it might be Firefox's fault. Also I forgot I still have HW acceleration turned off, I just never turned it back on, so I don't know if it's still an issue or not. I just know that was a common problem from the internet searching I did on the subject, and I'm not sure if Firefox has updated to fix it yet.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm looking for a new keyboard. I've been using a Saitek Eclipse II "gaming keyboard" for about two years and its been okay during that time, but now one of the feet have broke, and some of the more frequently used keys have become less responsive then they used to be. I bought a Steelseries Apex keyboard from Best Buy yesterday, but I didn't like the flat keys so I returned it. I guess I shouldn't bother with gaming keyboards and look into mechanical keyboards? Best Buy had a Razor and a Logitech mechanical keyboard on display, but they didn't say what switch type they were. Do I really need to know for sure what switch types I like or can I just go by the articles I read? I've never bought an expensive keyboard before so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
From what I've read, Cherry Browns area nice middleground while the Reds are more for gaming. I'm interested in a more detailed answer myself since I'm in the market for one too.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

There's no way to know what switch you'll like best without getting your fingers on them. There are sample packs you can order like this one to try the most common switch types, but it's still not the same as actually typing on a keyboard. For the most part saying certain switches are for gaming or typing is just marketing. The one thing I'd consider is that very heavy switches like Clears, Greens, and buckling springs (Model M switches) can be tiring to hold down for a long time, as you do in a FPS.

It's ultimately down to personal preference. Browns are the middle of the road choice and probably the safest bet.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I just picked up a pair of the Sound Blaster EVO ZX headset and I am really enjoying them so far especially with the wireless bluetooth functionality. For the price there is a little more plastic than I'd like but so far I have no complaints. Anyone else have any experience with these things?

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Quatrefoil posted:

I've had this chair for a couple of months, sit in it for like 14 hours a day and except for the leather on the seat creasing a bit it's like new. Feels really sturdy too (at least for the price / for being from Ikea).

This is just what I was hoping to hear. :) I picked up the chair the other day and it does seem quite solid. The casters are a tidbit iffy, however, they can be replaced easily (and cheaply) *if* they ever break.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Playing through Tomb Raider (2013) now and it's definitely one sweet-looking game. TressFX might be my favorite graphical perk since ambient occlusion became a big deal. I can get 60+ fps with TressFX on and ultra everything else by setting Shadows to normal (don't even really recognize the difference) and turning off Post Processing, which as far as I can tell just adds a ton of motion blur and is a big performance hit for no reason. Oh yeah, and the game is fun to play too.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

TressFX just looked like lovely CGI hair to me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Can anybody recommend a good set of speakers that aren't super expensive? I have a tax return coming, and my current PC speakers are doing that thing where you have to jiggle the volume knob to get the sound coming out of both speakers.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

exquisite tea posted:

Playing through Tomb Raider (2013) now and it's definitely one sweet-looking game. TressFX might be my favorite graphical perk since ambient occlusion became a big deal. I can get 60+ fps with TressFX on and ultra everything else by setting Shadows to normal (don't even really recognize the difference) and turning off Post Processing, which as far as I can tell just adds a ton of motion blur and is a big performance hit for no reason. Oh yeah, and the game is fun to play too.

Yes, Tomb Raider is a legit great game.

I thought that TressFX does some weird stuff to Lara's hair sometimes that I actually found it looked better with TressFX disabled though :I

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

According to some GPU tweaking guides I've read, TressFX on certain AMD-based card makes Lara's hair flicker around uncontrollably, which while sounding very funny does not happen on my GTX 760.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

exquisite tea posted:

According to some GPU tweaking guides I've read, TressFX on certain AMD-based card makes Lara's hair flicker around uncontrollably, which while sounding very funny does not happen on my GTX 760.

I have an Nvidia card but I still think it looks somehow worse than with TressFX off. It's not a technical issue, more an aesthetic preference.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I thought TressFX made it look like her hair was underwater every time she moved.

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...

deadly_pudding posted:

Can anybody recommend a good set of speakers that aren't super expensive? I have a tax return coming, and my current PC speakers are doing that thing where you have to jiggle the volume knob to get the sound coming out of both speakers.

I've been really happy with my 2.1 set of Genius speakers. They go from 2.0s up to at least 5.1s depending on what you need. Available on amazon, newegg, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh yeah, is Tomb Raider one of those games that will let me go back and get 100% when I complete the main story or is there a point of no return where I can't zip around and look for crap anymore?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

Oh yeah, is Tomb Raider one of those games that will let me go back and get 100% when I complete the main story or is there a point of no return where I can't zip around and look for crap anymore?

You can go back as long as you don't complete the last mission.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

LLJKSiLk posted:

You can go back as long as you don't complete the last mission.

The point of no return for that last mission is made obvious too when you get there.

Boarding the boat you fix at the beach

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You also get to go back after the final mission as well so anything is fine. The island is mostly empty of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Been playing the Titanfall beta, and it's raised an issue I'm getting more and more as more things start to use DX11.

I have 2 monitors, and more often than not a given fullscreen DirectX 11 game will black out the second monitor. Not all the time though, because that would be sensible. So probably 7/8 times I launch (or alt-tab to) a dx11 game my second screen will black out, and once in a while it'll be fine.

Is there any solid way to stop this happening? Setting the executable to disable desktop composition used to work for some dx10 games, but doesn't seem to do anything any more.

• Locked thread