Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

goobernoodles posted:

So I got this piece of poo poo in the mail without a controller:

http://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Italia-Remote-Control-Formula/dp/B0080MJ2VI

IBM wants me to meet them in order to get a controller, but gently caress that. It's got a 27.145Mhz sticker on the bottom. Can I get a cheap-o controller somewhere for this thing? Might be fun to harass people in the office with it.

Depending if it is an AM or FM crystal, you can still get controllers that can take the old style crystals fairly cheaply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

You Am I posted:

Stick with plastic parts, it is cheaper, and it doesn't take long to replace an upright or knuckle or even an arm.

This makes 100% perfect sense and I didn't even think about it. Better to snap an axle than a transmission type thing, as a bad analogy. Thanks.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

You Am I posted:

Depending if it is an AM or FM crystal, you can still get controllers that can take the old style crystals fairly cheaply.
I don't know anything about these magic crystals. The only R/C vehicle I have ever owned was when I was a kid and I ended up using it as a delivery system for blowing up a porta-potty. How do I determine what I should get, and from where?

DeCaFf
Jan 27, 2005
Alcohol is a way of life. Alcohol is MY way of life, and I aim to keep it!
So, this came in the mail today:

This should be fun.

DeCaFf fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 6, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

YES a King Hauler! I'm actually looking at doing one of these very soon. Let me know how the build goes.

DeCaFf
Jan 27, 2005
Alcohol is a way of life. Alcohol is MY way of life, and I aim to keep it!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

YES a King Hauler! I'm actually looking at doing one of these very soon. Let me know how the build goes.

Will do, but it'll be a while. I'm going to take my time and enjoy the build. Plus, I don't have a lot of time with work and honey-do lists.

Now just need to find a good 4 channel radio for a cheap price.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
The main fun with these things is the build right? I mean what exactly do you do with it once its built?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

visuvius posted:

The main fun with these things is the build right? I mean what exactly do you do with it once its built?

Build a trailer to go with it, find places to take tilt shift photos and post it on line for people to go :psyduck:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

^^^^Yes what Heroic said!

I'm looking forward to getting one to build yes, but I plan on using mine as a pulling truck. We have a local spec class where they must use a Castle 3800 system and the RC4WD knobby semi tires. The class emulates the full scale "Super Semis" and has given many of us excuses to finally build one of these things.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Okay well that sounds super fun.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Had my 2nd race with my EBuggy this past weekend. Forgot how much I missed this stuff. I am also really liking the switch from nitro to electric. So much less hassle. Though the noise I will miss. But going back into off-road I had some major trouble with the jumps. Realized after the main my rear ride height was only 9mm and bottoming out on the jump face. DOH!

Anyways, here is the lineup.

Also first time hitting the awesome off-road tracks here in Georgia.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 13, 2014

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
That King Hauler kit looks like so much fun to build. I had a blast painting and cutting out the decals for my Stampedes Raptor body today. A Tamiya kit like that looks like tons of fun.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Also first time hitting the awesome off-road tracks here in Georgia.

Sweet! Where'd you race?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Loganville so far, But Dalton And Henry county raceway are close too. It's been a while since I've been to this thread but aren't you around Savannah? (Or am I thinking about another goon?)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I owned 3 savages back in my nitro days (1 SS kit, 21 RTR and 25RTR parts cars/friends cars) and eventually sold all three to buy an LST2.

I greatly preferred the LST2 for a few reasons, one being the amazing handling in comparison to the Savage and the easier to work on design. Interesting to hear someone say they are lovely to work on because that was never my experience.

the three speed in the savage with a hot .28 was pretty fun, I will admit. the savage could take an absolute beating as well. I was regularly hucking mine off berms at the BMX track and hitting 30-40 feet high flat drops onto gravel and the only times that killed it was when one wheel took the impact.

The Savages achilles heel however is the spur gear/slipper clutch. even with the dual slipper I could never get it to 'work'. it was either locked or slipping to the point of melting the centre out of itself after a few runs. essentially on a day out with the guys it was always 1-2 spur gears a meet, although we did drive them pretty god drat hard.

The savage of today is pretty different to what I had - seems they lost the twin shocks (which was probably a good idea - it was always too stiff to handle well, but could take the big impacts great) and the extended TVPs are probably nice but I really liked the stout, scale-esque shape of the originals (though I upgraded mine to a set with bolt-in skid plates for extra rigidity). the plastic diff cups were poo poo and chewed themselves apart (so I went up to metal), I had never tuned nitro before, and back then the parts supply for HPI in Australia was literally one guy in Canberra buying SS kits in bulk and parting them out, so any gently caress up (and I had many) resulted in a week or so of waiting for new parts.

I wish I still had friends in the scene because I would love to try one of these new ones out, but I just dont have the time or the patience for it any more :(. I dont even get to use my VTA racer that i built.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The Savage line has had a ton of running changes since its first release to make it pretty solid nowadays. Steel spur gear, big bore shocks, lots of webbing on the uprights, easy-out diffs, sintered gear diffs, HD outdrives and dogbones, lots of stuff. I haven't bashed one in a while but the only issue I've had with one has been a (Castle) speedo which burst into flame in mid-air...which was really cool.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

The Savage line has had a ton of running changes since its first release to make it pretty solid nowadays. Steel spur gear, big bore shocks, lots of webbing on the uprights, easy-out diffs, sintered gear diffs, HD outdrives and dogbones, lots of stuff. I haven't bashed one in a while but the only issue I've had with one has been a (Castle) speedo which burst into flame in mid-air...which was really cool.

You guys should get the product department to make this an actual feature!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha - I'm sure some mentalist on YouTube would happily fit a flamethrower if you just dare them on their channel!

Also, recently finished these bodies:

The chrome striping works better under racing lights, I guess, and the headlights came out too dark overall but still happy with these. I probably should have done more orange, it's one of the main colors of the website. I'm still at the point where doing these bodies I can see measurable improvement with each finished body.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 19, 2014

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
man that paint job is sweet.....still need to figure out what body to get for a drifter and maybe a nice monster truck body.

speaking of monster truck bodies, I really need to stop following your builds ColonelJohnMatrix, now i'm thinking about a Mega truck myself! Already have a spare set of wraith axles and tranny. Just would need 14mm hexes for maxx wheels and tires and the same chassis....

Wraiths almost done.

only real issue is the servo horn, i installed a Futaba S9157 and ordered a axial metal 25t horn but its a really tight fit on the spine, once i get it on i don't think ill be able to get it off.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That looks really good (both of you guys)!

I get my mega truck tires tomorrow so I'm pumped!

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

HoWSeR posted:

man that paint job is sweet.....still need to figure out what body to get for a drifter and maybe a nice monster truck body.

speaking of monster truck bodies, I really need to stop following your builds ColonelJohnMatrix, now i'm thinking about a Mega truck myself! Already have a spare set of wraith axles and tranny. Just would need 14mm hexes for maxx wheels and tires and the same chassis....

Wraiths almost done.

only real issue is the servo horn, i installed a Futaba S9157 and ordered a axial metal 25t horn but its a really tight fit on the spine, once i get it on i don't think ill be able to get it off.

Is that a DMG stiffy on there? Looks like Jerrys work.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Evil_Ash posted:

Is that a DMG stiffy on there? Looks like Jerrys work.

that it is, good eye, you know Jerry? Was a great guy to deal with.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

HoWSeR posted:

that it is, good eye, you know Jerry? Was a great guy to deal with.

Yep cool guy. He runs KCRC our crawler club. He does do good work. He fixed mine when my dog ate it too...lol

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Someone tell me what a 'DMG Stiffy' is, I must know this before I die.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

krushgroove posted:

Lol, a friend of ours hand welds tube chassis for crawlers.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well that looks pretty badass! I don't even want to know how much it costs. It looks like a plastic tube chassis in the other picture above, I guess it's the matte finish to the paint.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

krushgroove posted:

Well that looks pretty badass! I don't even want to know how much it costs. It looks like a plastic tube chassis in the other picture above, I guess it's the matte finish to the paint.

Right, he makes full on chassis, and then there is the "stiffy" which is a hybrid. it bolts into a stock Wraith cage.

It's funny, the pricing is a "if you have to ask you probably cant or wont be able to pay for it." thing on RCC..

Evil_Ash fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 21, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Much like the 'roof chopper' or 2strokers cages for the HPI Baja. Priced one out for my Baja and it was something like $1400 after shipping? Too rich for my blood right now when I have like 3 1/5ers and a plethora of 1/10 cars.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been reading Patrick Obriens Aubrey/Maturin series and it got me wondering if anyone made fully rigged rc sailboats. Turns out there's a company that makes a ship from the series, the HMS Surprise, that costs $5k. And you have to be a pretty masterful modeler to make it look good after that. There are some amazing rear end RC sailboats out there though.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Evil_Ash posted:

Yep cool guy. He runs KCRC our crawler club. He does do good work. He fixed mine when my dog ate it too...lol

send him my thanks, works perfectly and looks awesome to boot. Love how his company is called DMG (Death Metal Garage) being a metal head myself. the stiffy kit came very well packaged and the smaller peaces were in a little black envelope with skulls.

krushgroove posted:

here's what mine looked like before install.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Hey, have a setup question for you racers, been a while since I've worked on this. Anyways, I'm running a Hot Bodies ve8 and it feels like I have little on-power steering. I like to have a bit of power all the way through the corner, but it pushes with any power applied so I pretty much have to brake, take the corner with no power, aim straight, and go! I can give further setup specs if that will help you help me.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Just finished my wraith last night.

Just in time for the weekly trail run!

I love this thing. I should have gotten one a long time ago. Stock it was doing amazing, even on a dinky integy 45t motor I had laying around. I am liking 45t motors. I was worried because my larger 4000mah 3s packs don't fit in the wraith battery tray because it is sized for standard hardcase packs, but I only used 1 and a half of my small 2200mah packs and we covered at least 2 miles, with a lot of stopping and fooling around in particularly fun spots.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Hey, have a setup question for you racers, been a while since I've worked on this. Anyways, I'm running a Hot Bodies ve8 and it feels like I have little on-power steering. I like to have a bit of power all the way through the corner, but it pushes with any power applied so I pretty much have to brake, take the corner with no power, aim straight, and go! I can give further setup specs if that will help you help me.

That was kind of my experience with the Ve8 too. I talked to a Hot Bodies driver last year at Psycho Nitro and we did some tweaking to my car to get it handling better but it's been a year and I sold the car so I don't recall all of it. One thing I do remember was that we ran pretty light oils compared to the Mugen and Losi buggies. The car just seems to work better with a softer suspension. I never was super happy with the way it drove, especially after I borrowed a friend's Losi for a bit. It was better after I swapped on some of the Hara parts from an old D8 but I was always fighting a lot of understeer through the corners.

What oils are you running now in the shocks and diffs?

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Loganville so far, But Dalton And Henry county raceway are close too. It's been a while since I've been to this thread but aren't you around Savannah? (Or am I thinking about another goon?)

Yep, that's me! I'm about an hour from Savannah but I race there pretty regular. I'm mostly into carpet oval right now but I'll probably start messing around with off-road again this summer.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 24, 2014

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Okay, so, I've got the feel for these, And I'm eyeing a highend truggy/buggy on nitro, or even a larget (1:5/1:6?)buggy on a l large fuellie

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

TremorX posted:

That was kind of my experience with the Ve8 too. I talked to a Hot Bodies driver last year at Psycho Nitro and we did some tweaking to my car to get it handling better but it's been a year and I sold the car so I don't recall all of it. One thing I do remember was that we ran pretty light oils compared to the Mugen and Losi buggies. The car just seems to work better with a softer suspension. I never was super happy with the way it drove, especially after I borrowed a friend's Losi for a bit. It was better after I swapped on some of the Hara parts from an old D8 but I was always fighting a lot of understeer through the corners.

What oils are you running now in the shocks and diffs?

Yep, that's me! I'm about an hour from Savannah but I race there pretty regular. I'm mostly into carpet oval right now but I'll probably start messing around with off-road again this summer.

I'm running the stock setup. I believe it's 35f 45r and 5-5-2. I may try some lighter shock oils and go a little heavier on the front and center diffs. One step at a time and go from there. I really like the car, and for most people the stock setup is wonderful. It's really stable, jumps great, handles bumps well, and for the most part it corners well. I just need to adjust it to my driving style and cut some more time.

Btw, you going to the Psycho Nitro Blast this year? I'm on the fence. Have a big project at work and it will be hard to get some time away.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Method Loser posted:

Okay, so, I've got the feel for these, And I'm eyeing a highend truggy/buggy on nitro, or even a larget (1:5/1:6?)buggy on a l large fuellie

If you are checking out large scale check my post history in this thread. Any questions you have I'll be happy to answer. You can even call me at work (since it's my job)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Seems like most of you dudes are into off road stuff. Anyone here into onroad racing? I'm think I'm about to get into The rabbit hole that is Tamiya racing.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I'm running the stock setup. I believe it's 35f 45r and 5-5-2. I may try some lighter shock oils and go a little heavier on the front and center diffs. One step at a time and go from there. I really like the car, and for most people the stock setup is wonderful. It's really stable, jumps great, handles bumps well, and for the most part it corners well. I just need to adjust it to my driving style and cut some more time.

Btw, you going to the Psycho Nitro Blast this year? I'm on the fence. Have a big project at work and it will be hard to get some time away.

Yep, I'm going!

I want to say I was running 5-7-3 for the diffs and 30/40. If you do wind up going to PNB, I'll introduce you to Charlie Yates, he's an HB driver and usually makes the A at PNB. He helped me set my D8 up last year and I had it outdriving Mugens until the engine lost tune. I'm running a Losi 8ight 3.0 this year.

visuvius posted:

Seems like most of you dudes are into off road stuff. Anyone here into onroad racing? I'm think I'm about to get into The rabbit hole that is Tamiya racing.

I do a little of both. I love carpet oval but I like switching it up.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 25, 2014

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

Stregone posted:

Just finished my wraith last night.

I love this thing. I should have gotten one a long time ago. Stock it was doing amazing, even on a dinky integy 45t motor I had laying around. I am liking 45t motors. I was worried because my larger 4000mah 3s packs don't fit in the wraith battery tray because it is sized for standard hardcase packs, but I only used 1 and a half of my small 2200mah packs and we covered at least 2 miles, with a lot of stopping and fooling around in particularly fun spots.

Time to do the "hood mod" and run your battery upfront. I run 3S up there no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

visuvius posted:

I love onroad racing. 1/8th GT onroad is my favorite class. But onroad is pretty dead around here.

TremorX posted:

Yep, I'm going!

I want to say I was running 5-7-3 for the diffs and 30/40. If you do wind up going to PNB, I'll introduce you to Charlie Yates, he's an HB driver and usually makes the A at PNB. He helped me set my D8 up last year and I had it outdriving Mugens until the engine lost tune. I'm running a Losi 8ight 3.0 this year.

I do a little of both. I love carpet oval but I like switching it up.

yeah I think I'm going to try a similar setup. I did a search on some of the local GA forums and found what people were using from a few years ago, and it's very similar. How do you like the losi 8ight 3.0? I bought this ve8 a few years ago but never ran more than a single battery in it until this year. But there is something strange going on with HB/HPI and I have a crazy hard time finding certain parts for it. Planning on switching to an E-8ight next year. Most everyone is running the Mugen's around here, but I like the skinny chassis buggies.

I'll probably miss the PNB, even though I really want to go. Just getting back into racing after a 3 year break, and I'm a bit rusty. Plus I really don't know if I can get the time off. But I'm totally planning on making it next year.