Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Shukaro posted:

Ya but the issue is that's just throwing a temper tantrum and making the stream unwatchable.
Yeah but watching a dude move one step every ten seconds is pretty unwatchable too. I mean I see where you're coming from, but I'm just gonna keep anarchy'ing and start9'ing because I find democracy mode totally boring even when start9 doesn't win, like in the maze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just need to repeat this again. The villain of the stream is this;

Not the rat that is undoing all of our progress.

I can't stop laughing.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Honestly democracy was implemented pretty well in that it is entirely up to the stream as to whether or not it is chosen, and can likewise be disabled at any time with only the stream's input. The downside is that people are ridiculous.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

How can you have any thought about this being a social experiment and not absolutely love Start9?

Argeta
Apr 29, 2009
Why is the slow mode timer more than 3 minutes long?? That seems way dumber than the whole anarchy/democracy thing.

e: it's 5 minutes lmao gently caress off this is poo poo now

Argeta fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 19, 2014

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Democracy is how everyone managed to get through both spinner mazes and unlock the shortcut.

And anarchy is how we managed to get through Mt. Moon, Surge's gym, Ledge Hell, and the Rocky Tunnel, along with all the other less difficult parts of the game.

Again, the point of this isn't to get through the game efficiently. It's to watch crazy stupid bullshit happen and laugh at it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Democracy is how everyone managed to get through both spinner mazes and unlock the shortcut.

And anarchy is how we managed to get through Mt. Moon, Surge's gym, Ledge Hell, and the Rocky Tunnel, along with all the other less difficult parts of the game.

Again, the point of this isn't to get through the game efficiently. It's to watch crazy stupid bullshit happen and laugh at it.

E: Double posted again, sorry.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Republicans posted:

Haven't been keeping up, what's the deal with Eevee/Flareon?

He. Is. The. New. God.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Livingtrope posted:

in all honesty your posts are exactly what i would expect out of a games poster

nice animu avatar

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
It seems most of the twitch chat doesn't realize we have to go back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The democrats can only function when they're united in purpose. When their only goal is getting power because they don't like the other guys, it falls apart because the opposition is just as united in getting rid of them. So the only time the democrats are going to be effective is when there's a crisis that the vast majority are attempting to address in the same way. Reacting to a set back and throwing the vote to the democrats doesn't do any good because once they're in control they fragment.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Rurea posted:

theres also this one now

Jeez, there's so much amazing fanart stuff being produced with such a short life-cycle to it. I must have missed a few hours when Flareon and Drowzee were boxed and consequently missed these two gems.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lightanchor posted:

Loving the neoliberal line of comparing revolutionaries to children :start9:

ahahahahaha

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The Shortest Path posted:

This doesn't count as crazy stupid bullshit to you?

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I just need to repeat this again. The villain of the stream is this;

Not the rat that is undoing all of our progress.

I can't stop laughing.

Digrat is a shadowy figure growing in the background. I have the feeling something's going to pop up around Digrat canonically.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

No, whining about start9 does not count as crazy bullshit.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

waffle posted:

Yeah but watching a dude move one step every ten seconds is pretty unwatchable too. I mean I see where you're coming from, but I'm just gonna keep anarchy'ing and start9'ing because I find democracy mode totally boring even when start9 doesn't win, like in the maze

Democracy is boring but watching the start menu open and close for an hour is infinitely more boring. Yeah nobody likes democracy but if you're literally going to throw a temper tantrum and ruin it for everybody just because people vote it in then get hosed.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Shukaro posted:

Ya but the issue is that's just throwing a temper tantrum and making the stream unwatchable.

If you think repeatedly performing the same actions over and over again instead of playing through Pokemon in a normal fashion is "unwatchable" you may have tuned into the wrong stream to begin with.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

The game freezing for thirty second intervals while manchildren argue about things that don't exist isn't really entertaining, no.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Most of us are sick of this crazy stupid bullshit, which has gotten repetitive. We want to see new crazy stupid bullshit in new locations, and that wasn't gonna happen if we were trapped on a spinner maze for three weeks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mineaiki posted:

Digrat is a shadowy figure growing in the background. I have the feeling something's going to pop up around Digrat canonically.

Digrat is the Mandrakk to Flareon's Darkseid

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Jay O posted:

It's not about efficiency, it's about observing the psychology of internet hivemind. They could have shoved for anarchy and gotten it back just as fast if not faster, but the start9 spam is a childish behavior borne only out of the desire to have it their way and only their way even if it deliberately hinders all progress.

"It's your turn to play with the truck for five minutes? WELL I'LL FIND A WAY TO RUIN THOSE FIVE MINUTES FOR YOU INSTEAD OF WAITING EVEN FIVE loving MINUTES."

See again: US Government Shutdown.

Not trying to ruin anyone's fun with all the serious words, but if this is really a social experiment, that's one of the most interesting parts about it.

I actually think you're making a pretty interesting point! I think its more that people feel the issue was forced onto the stream, though, and they basically rebel in order to say they aren't happy with it. Start9's just the most flashy and attention-grabbing way when compared to, say, thudding into a wall or pressing A at thing air.

Less a desire to not share and more just denying an option they hate. Still kinda childish and it brings the stream to a halt, but so does the incredibly slow vote speed. At this point its usually just best to let the "arguments" simmer away and wait for the stream to re-unify.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jay O posted:

nice animu avatar

its uh spelled anime but thank you

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Most of us are sick of this crazy stupid bullshit, which has gotten repetitive. We want to see new crazy stupid bullshit in new locations, and that wasn't gonna happen if we were trapped on a spinner maze for three weeks.

But we were trapped on the spinner maze for less time than it took to get past a single ledge, and democracy voting isn't actually helping.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Mineaiki posted:

Digrat isn't malicious, just really stupid. He's like a dog that starts digging for no apparent reason, ignoring the desperate wailing of the player.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

There is no way in hell we were ever getting through the maze unless the stream died down to like double-digit viewers. Unlike the ledge, you couldn't just spam one direction, so the lag makes it ungodly difficult. We'd still be at the maze right now, and like for days and days, if it wasn't for democracy.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Thank you, for the correct response. But in as much as I'm joking, I'm serious too

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

But we were trapped on the spinner maze for less time than it took to get past a single ledge, and democracy voting isn't actually helping.

What? No. The Ledge took like 10 hours. We've been in Celadon for loving 2 days.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Democracy is necessary for very specific parts of the game like the game corner.

We shouldn't use it for anything else.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Livingtrope posted:

its uh spelled anime but thank you

In japan it's called doki doki panic.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
start9

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Disable democracy problem solved

Man gently caress all democracy mode haters. seeing 80k+ people learn to overcome a delay and work together to actually achive is fuckin' awesome. haters just poo poo on it because thier short attention spans can't handle the delay between moves so they throw a hissy fit and spam start until anarchy returns.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

We only spent 10 hours on the Ledge. This has been going on for over 24 hours.

And now the social experiment is to see how the community fractures under the pressure of digging.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Red is currently wandering around aimlessly, attempting to get anywhere except the Spinny Maze of torment.
Also: How much you wanna bet that we'll get to Giovanni's room again, and then proceed to dig out AGAIN?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kild posted:

What? No. The Ledge took like 10 hours. We've been in Celadon for loving 2 days.

Half of that was the entirety of the gym, as well as getting Eevee, shopping for the stone, loving it up and getting a Flareon instead of a Vaporeon, etc.

The ledge was 10 hours in the same small patch of area running in a circle.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Democracy sucks sometimes, anarchy sucks other times. Stop whining about this poo poo because your input means fuckall to a group of people in the tens of thousands. It'd be great if we didn't get stuck in the same place for hours on end but the nature of this thing pretty much condemns us to that and proper planning isn't going to happen with 100k+ people controlling some stupid-rear end kid.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
How long until people start dressing up as Pidgeot Jesus and Digrat?

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I'm ok with this "stupid crazy bullshit" because it affords some downtime to let me catch my breath after all that just happened. Maybe I'll even get some sleep. Even when it was just all Anarchy all the time there was lots of downtime in between the highlights.

Your username makes me chuckle in the context of this stream.

fakeedit: WHAT IS THAT BEEPING

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Giovanni's gym has spinners too, so don't think we haven't seen the last of them.

What the gently caress is it with that dude and spinners :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Again, we were in the maze for more than a day before we made any progress at all.

• Locked thread