Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

A vast majority of my playtime on Sunshine was devoted to just running and swimming around aimlessly just admiring all the painfully beautiful tropical settings. Galaxy never appeals to me in this sense. Nintendo please bring back big expansive playing areas that contain all sorts of little details and secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

pandaK posted:

A vast majority of my playtime on Sunshine was devoted to just running and swimming around aimlessly just admiring all the painfully beautiful tropical settings. Galaxy never appeals to me in this sense. Nintendo please bring back big expansive playing areas that contain all sorts of little details and secrets.

Bring back the Mario 64 style open worlds that you could just run around and do poo poo in. I want to accidentally find star number 7 while searching for star 2. That kind of level design philosophy in a modern platformer engine would be amazing. Throw in some galaxy gravity shenanegins and you could create some totally mind bending zones to play in.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Neruz posted:

Bring back the Mario 64 style open worlds that you could just run around and do poo poo in. I want to accidentally find star number 7 while searching for star 2.

Mario 64 worlds didn't have half the amount of charm that Sunshine or even Galaxy do. I'm willing to trade open star collecting in favor of design.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

pandaK posted:

Mario 64 worlds didn't have half the amount of charm that Sunshine or even Galaxy do. I'm willing to trade open star collecting in favor of design.

There's no reason why you can't have open world star collecting with charming level design; Mario 64 suffered a lot from being highly experimental but I sometimes feel like Nintendo's designers learned the wrong lessons from it.

Sunshine came close; but iirc it artificially restricted you by not having other shines than the one you were going for exist at all. There were several levels in Sunshine where there could have been multiple shines at once hanging around and I remember being disappointed that there wasn't.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Neruz posted:

There's no reason why you can't have open world star collecting with charming level design; Mario 64 suffered a lot from being highly experimental but I sometimes feel like Nintendo's designers learned the wrong lessons from it.

Hm yeah, there's that too. I was just thinking if it were to come down to one or the other.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Sunshine's levels changed every act though. The whole game has a really nice, but subtle setting (sometimes at the cost of gameplay).

Galaxy 2 barely has a setting at all and just focuses on gameplay. And the gameplay is really really good.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

King Christmas posted:

Mario Sunshine is one of those games where the less of it you play, the more you enjoy it. If you only get the bare minimum number of stars/shines/whatever that you need to get to Bowser (70 if I remember correctly), you'll most likely have an occasionally frustrating but overall enjoyable experience. If you aim to complete the game 100% you'll probably hate it. What with the blue coins and red coins and stuff you gotta collect, it gets old really quickly. I like the game personally but I totally understand why a lot of people dont.

I watched a 100% speedrun of Sunshine yesterday. Holy poo poo are some of those blue coins complete bullshit. "Kill this blue bird/butterfly that appears on the roof of this one building"

Neruz posted:

Bring back the Mario 64 style open worlds that you could just run around and do poo poo in. I want to accidentally find star number 7 while searching for star 2. That kind of level design philosophy in a modern platformer engine would be amazing. Throw in some galaxy gravity shenanegins and you could create some totally mind bending zones to play in.

I want a Marioidvania. Unlock the fireflower to access new areas in Butterscotch plains/get star number 3.

Mario 64 and Super Mario World did something like that with the hats and switch palaces, I just want it to be more seamless.

e: Or you know, have it be possible to just completely sequence break the whole game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Wheany posted:

I want a Marioidvania. Unlock the fireflower to access new areas in Butterscotch plains/get star number 3.

Mario 64 and Super Mario World did something like that with the hats and switch palaces, I just want it to be more seamless.

e: Or you know, have it be possible to just completely sequence break the whole game.

Banjo-Tooie is pretty close to that!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

KieranWalker posted:

...What the hell WAS the first boss, now that I think about it?

*Google* ...Right. Same creature without the tail. Color me shocked.

As for thinking World S would be a hardcore challenge for those who were tired of the game taking it easy on them... clearly you haven't played a Nintendo game in a few years. :colbert:

The trickster comets in this world are astoundingly hard though :v:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Mmh, that is true. I forget where I left off in that regard.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Banjo-Tooie is pretty close to that!

Without wanting to turn the thread into Banjo-Tooie talk, the moment you find out that the worlds are interconnected is just magical. It's the best N64 game by far. Still doesn't hold a candle to Galaxy, but it's one of... 3 or 4? N64 games that hold up really well even today.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cryohazard posted:

Without wanting to turn the thread into Banjo-Tooie talk, the moment you find out that the worlds are interconnected is just magical. It's the best N64 game by far. Still doesn't hold a candle to Galaxy, but it's one of... 3 or 4? N64 games that hold up really well even today.

Indeed, the worst part about Banjo-Tooie is that Rare got bought by Microsoft after that and the Banjo-Kazooie series was never the same again :<

Wonderful games though. Is it just me or has that whole sort of 'fighting adventure' genre sort of faded into obscurity a bit? Especially on consoles. I cant recall the last time I started up a game and was given a character and a series of open, interconnected worlds with abilities to unlock and told "Go explore!"

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 19, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Dark Souls?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Dark Souls lacks the abilities to unlock; sure you can buy spells and stuff which are nice but they're totally optional and mostly different variations on 'shoot thing wot kills dudes'. Dark Souls is a brilliant game but it's not the same kind of 'adventure' that Banjo-Kazooie is and certainly doesn't hit the same notes.

Like at no point in Dark Souls did I open a chest, get a new thing I could do and then go "Oh poo poo now I know what all those wierd things I kept seeing are for."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neruz posted:

Dark Souls lacks the abilities to unlock; sure you can buy spells and stuff which are nice but they're totally optional and mostly different variations on 'shoot thing wot kills dudes'. Dark Souls is a brilliant game but it's not the same kind of 'adventure' that Banjo-Kazooie is and certainly doesn't hit the same notes.

Like at no point in Dark Souls did I open a chest, get a new thing I could do and then go "Oh poo poo now I know what all those wierd things I kept seeing are for."

I see what ya did there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hah I didn't expect anyone to notice that. Well spotted.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Neruz posted:

I recently finished Batman: Arkham asylum and it seems to fit the bill, strange though it may sound. First you get the explosive gel which allows you to break through fragile walls. Then you get the batclaw which lets you pull down vents that are above ground level, and so on.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Neruz posted:

You're basically describing the "genre" of metroidvania.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You're basically describing the "genre" of metroidvania.

I don't know, the only metrovania where I felt like the main appeal was going off and exploring the world was the Prime series, and that was a key component to those old 3d adventure games. Example to bring things back on topic, Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2; They function very similarly to the old 3d adventure games in controls and objectives(collect all the knick knacks), but you feel less a sense that you're going out and exploring the worlds and more that you're running through a gauntlet of really cool set pieces instead.

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy

Ariong posted:

I recently finished Batman: Arkham asylum and it seems to fit the bill, strange though it may sound. First you get the explosive gel which allows you to break through fragile walls. Then you get the batclaw which lets you pull down vents that are above ground level, and so on.

See, I always thought of the Batman Arkham games as a Zelda clone. It wasn't so much about exploration as it was about killing the boss to get the thing that lets you get to the next boss. You know where it is, you just need the magic door opener to get there.

As for the Mario games, I always thought that it was more skill that got you to the special areas. Yes, you needed to find the red block/tanookie suit/whatever, but that didn't get you to the secret level. You still needed to be drat good at the game too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dr Pepper posted:

I have to admit, the opening to this new video made me laugh really hard.

It was an excellent payoff to the gag. I'm looking forward to the prankster runs that will apparently unlock amazing new cosmic mysteries upon completion.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XXXIV - Pranking the way to 120 stars :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: slowbeef & Mr. DJB)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Comet requirements are sort of weird. They actually have a well-defined order and are not random. Obviously, you need the comet medal for a comet to appear in a galaxy, but you also need to get every non-secret star in that galaxy as well.

After getting a star, it will unlock a new comet not in that galaxy, and up to three comets in one world can be in orbit at the same time.

Each level actually needs you to have a secret number of comet medals to show up, and they're all listed in the official Japanese player's guide. They're also unlocked in this order as well.

Mario Squared requires 38 comet medals, Rolling Coaster requires 40, Twisty Trials 42, Stone Cyclone 46, Boss Blitz 48, and Flip-Out 44 (this is the odd one out).

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
Something Awful's The Horrible Saga of SWAP.avi is now in the list of 'What's Hot'. Congratulations, Diabetus. You've successfully affected the viewing habits of nerds. Use this power wisely.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Brewsuke posted:

Something Awful's The Horrible Saga of SWAP.avi is now in the list of 'What's Hot'. Congratulations, Diabetus. You've successfully affected the viewing habits of nerds. Use this power wisely.

I just copied that entire phrase into google and apparently google is confused.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
SWAP.avi is a good rear end video.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

forbidden lesbian posted:

SWAP.avi is a filthy rear end video.

FTFY

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Next time on Quantum Leap: More comets! "Oh boy."

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
(this is incredibly stupid but i have knowledge relevant to a thing said and thus i must share it ugh)

Actually, Wario's most closely associated female character is Captain Syrup, even though they're more like rivals than anything else. So yes, if you were going to pair Rosalina with anyone, it would be Waluigi.

... which is why you don't pair every single male and female character in anything, especially not the Mario franchise. It gets really stupid really fast.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Plus what if some of them are gay :colbert:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

I don't know why I laughed so goddamn hard at this, but thank you.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Lubba will be right there on the faceship, waiting for them with open arms. And I guess Birdo as well.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Geemer posted:

Lubba will be right there on the faceship, waiting for them with open arms. And I guess Birdo as well.

Birdo is a backwards Yoshi. You never see her shoot out her tongue out of modesty.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hate to break it to y'all, but you've been outsourcing let's plays ever since King's Quest V

forbidden lesbian posted:

SWAP.avi is a good rear end video.

Also, I'm pretty sure SWAP.avi was mentioned in both the video and the two posts prior to this one, not to mention the fact that it wasn't that bad a pun, so I don't really see how this specific one is derailing or low-content.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think the Twisty Trials Galaxy prankster comet would've been way cooler if they forced you to use the spring power-up instead. :unsmigghh:

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Saagonsa posted:

Hate to break it to y'all, but you've been outsourcing let's plays ever since King's Quest V

Also, I'm pretty sure SWAP.avi was mentioned in both the video and the two posts prior to this one, not to mention the fact that it wasn't that bad a pun, so I don't really see how this specific one is derailing or low-content.

Someone didn't watch the video :rolleye:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

JordanKai posted:

I think the Twisty Trials Galaxy prankster comet would've been way cooler if they forced you to use the spring power-up instead. :unsmigghh:

...I kind of want to give that a try.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Don't loving tell me there's going to be new prankster comets.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

tinkerttoy posted:

Hahaha, that's not even the half of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

tinkerttoy posted:

You aren't prepared for what's to come.

• Locked thread