Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

air- posted:

$25 Cantillon bottles

where?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
thoughts on max's sour fest today:

-ac golden colorambic was very underwhelming given the hype that guy has gotten
-ba kentucky common and apple brandy love are every bit as good as people have said
-i drank too many mikkeller spontan variants, the cassis is probably the only one worth your time
-no fuckin way am i paying 35 dollars for a 12oz bottle of nightmare on brett
-i drank too much

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cryme posted:

-i drank too many mikkeller spontan variants, the cassis is probably the only one worth your time

hadn't tried cassis, but i agree that the rest just aren't that good. also think that the NoB beers are the worst things i've had from CS that weren't an error (butter-bomb Persicas) and $35 is an insane price regardless.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

cryme posted:

where?!?!

Spuyten Duyvil for on-premise. They had Classic Gueuze and Lambic.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

cryme posted:

-ba kentucky common and apple brandy love are every bit as good as people have said
-i drank too much

Soooooo many good beers today. Was really happy with the two burley oaks--Maryland needs more brewers making good sours

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

funkybottoms posted:

hadn't tried cassis, but i agree that the rest just aren't that good. also think that the NoB beers are the worst things i've had from CS that weren't an error (butter-bomb Persicas) and $35 is an insane price regardless.

$35 is insane. When it's on tap, it's $10/$4. Not sure precisely on the pour size, but yeah, there is no way I'd pay $35 for it. Personally I actually like Nightmare, but only at "reasonable" price, with reasonable being that above pricing structure for all of their non-flagship beers at the Source.

cryme posted:

If that's only your first AC Golden beer, you shouldn't write them off entirely. I haven't had the colorambic, but their standards like Peche and Apricot are pretty good. Checkpoint Charlie Berliner Weisse was solid this summer too. $25/22oz good not quite sure although truthfully its the market rate on sours in CO, but regardless I always seek them out at our local festivals.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Need help planning a trip for late spring/early summer. We can either stay overnight in Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo.

I have not been to Bells or Founders, so which ever one we choose will hopefully be the highlight.

Criteria of interest, (in order of importance):
-Which one will (likely) have more stuff that I've never had before, they don't need to be whales by any means, but also don't want to drive to MI for Two Hearted and Reds Rye.
-Hotel in stumbling distance of either Founders or Bells
-Other good/great bars nearby
-Other breweries maybe (I know Vivant is near Founders)

Depending on time, we might try to hit the place we don't stay the next morning, so if one is way better for just trying a few samples and getting growlers to go, that could be a factor. Also it will be a Thursday night. Thanks goons!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

broom posted:

Need help planning a trip for late spring/early summer. We can either stay overnight in Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo.

I have not been to Bells or Founders, so which ever one we choose will hopefully be the highlight.

-Which one will (likely) have more stuff that I've never had before, they don't need to be whales by any means, but also don't want to drive to MI for Two Hearted and Reds Rye.

Depending on time, we might try to hit the place we don't stay the next morning, so if one is way better for just trying a few samples and getting growlers to go, that could be a factor. Also it will be a Thursday night. Thanks goons!

Where are you coming from and where are you planning to go afterwards? As in "I'm coming from cleveland then headed up to Canada" or "I'm coming from chicago and headed back home aftewards"

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

broom posted:

I've been to Bell's faaaar more times than I've been to Founders, so take that into account, but my opinion is to stay in KZoo and then stop at Founders (did this in Oct actually). I've stayed in the Comfort Inn and the Radison, the Radison is closer to Bells, but more expensive. Comfort Inn still isn't a bad walk at all though (I guess I am used to walking all around Chi though...). Typically we stay at the Inn if only for the savings that it usually gets us*.

As far as beer is concerned, the two times I have been to Founders they had some nice options. A few experimental beers and everything is available in a small 4ish oz pour. However, I freaking love Bells and all the craziness they put on tap. They have a pic of what is currently on tap http://bellsbeer.com/ftp/tapshot.big.jpg?r=807909 I think it is usually like 25ish 'normal' beers (symbols to denote brewpub-only stuff) + a few cask/barreled ones. Really cool venue too. Across the street is a beer bar called the Beer Exchange where prices are dependent on what people are buying. Kinda nifty gimmick. A block closer to the hotels is Shakespears which is a college bar with like a bajillion taps. I don't recall anything mind blowing on tap, but free popcorn and 50 craft beer options isn't bad.

Founders was cool and Vivant has one of the coolest taprooms/brewpubs I've ever been in. But my experience in GR was that driving was almost needed, which is also part of my reasoning.
Sorry if that was too long. And really, no matter which route you go, both are awesome...so you win in the end haha.

*KZoo College Homecoming weekend is a shitshow for getting hotel rooms, so it might not actually be much cheaper on other random dates.

E: To clarify like DB, our trip was Stop at Greenbush -> Stay in KZoo (Bell's, Beer Exchange) -> Stop at Founders (I drove there) -> Stop at Vander Mill (she drove from Founders here) -> Stop at Virtue, then I drove back to Chi.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 18, 2014

broom
Aug 29, 2005

atothesquiz posted:

Where are you coming from and where are you planning to go afterwards? As in "I'm coming from cleveland then headed up to Canada" or "I'm coming from chicago and headed back home aftewards"

Chicago and back to Chicago (via Munster)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

broom posted:

My girlfriend and I did a GR-area visit back in December. We didn't do Founders, mostly because I'm not the biggest fan and my understanding is that their selection is mostly the stuff you can buy on the shelf or drink at pretty much any bar in the midwest. Again, I haven't been but I've heard it's mostly a waste of time. So what did we hit?

- Greenbush is on the way, just after you get out of Indiana. It's literally a 1/4 mile off the highway. Food is good, beer is solid and available in tasters. A perfect place to stop and not veer too far off the highway.
- Virtue Cider is also on the way up to GR and is a great place to stop. Tiny tasting room but the tasting (and tour, if they're willing to walk you around) is free. Bottles are pricey if you take out.
- In GR itself, definitely, absolutely hit Vivant. Really cool space and a lot of brewery-only beers to taste.
- I was also a big fan of Grand Rapids Brewing in downtown but we were there for their first anniversary/bottle release, so we drank a lot of their surprisingly amazing BA'd stuff. I have no idea whether any of that is regularly on tap, but what was available was very, very good.
- Bottle shop: we stopped briefly at Siciliano's which lives up to it's rep. Huge selection.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

I've been to Bell's faaaar more times than I've been to Founders, so take that into account, but my opinion is to stay in KZoo and then stop at Founders (did this in Oct actually). I've stayed in the Comfort Inn and the Radison, the Radison is closer to Bells, but more expensive. Comfort Inn still isn't a bad walk at all though (I guess I am used to walking all around Chi though...). Typically we stay at the Inn if only for the savings that it usually gets us*.

As far as beer is concerned, the two times I have been to Founders they had some nice options. A few experimental beers and everything is available in a small 4ish oz pour. However, I freaking love Bells and all the craziness they put on tap. They have a pic of what is currently on tap http://bellsbeer.com/ftp/tapshot.big.jpg?r=807909 I think it is usually like 25ish 'normal' beers (symbols to denote brewpub-only stuff) + a few cask/barreled ones. Really cool venue too. Across the street is a beer bar called the Beer Exchange where prices are dependent on what people are buying. Kinda nifty gimmick. A block closer to the hotels is Shakespears which is a college bar with like a bajillion taps. I don't recall anything mind blowing on tap, but free popcorn and 50 craft beer options isn't bad.

Founders was cool and Vivant has one of the coolest taprooms/brewpubs I've ever been in. But my experience in GR was that driving was almost needed, which is also part of my reasoning.
Sorry if that was too long. And really, no matter which route you go, both are awesome...so you win in the end haha.

*KZoo College Homecoming weekend is a shitshow for getting hotel rooms, so it might not actually be much cheaper on other random dates.

This is the exact information I needed! Thank you! A college bar I used to go to had a Beer Stock Exchange night, my buddy always wanted to go early identify a beer he thought would rise in value, buy 50 to drive the price up, and then sell them in the corner for a profit. I cant imagine a whole bar built on this principal but I am intrigued.

danbanana posted:

My girlfriend and I did a GR-area visit back in December. We didn't do Founders, mostly because I'm not the biggest fan and my understanding is that their selection is mostly the stuff you can buy on the shelf or drink at pretty much any bar in the midwest. Again, I haven't been but I've heard it's mostly a waste of time. So what did we hit?

- Greenbush is on the way, just after you get out of Indiana. It's literally a 1/4 mile off the highway. Food is good, beer is solid and available in tasters. A perfect place to stop and not veer too far off the highway.
- Virtue Cider is also on the way up to GR and is a great place to stop. Tiny tasting room but the tasting (and tour, if they're willing to walk you around) is free. Bottles are pricey if you take out.
- In GR itself, definitely, absolutely hit Vivant. Really cool space and a lot of brewery-only beers to taste.
- I was also a big fan of Grand Rapids Brewing in downtown but we were there for their first anniversary/bottle release, so we drank a lot of their surprisingly amazing BA'd stuff. I have no idea whether any of that is regularly on tap, but what was available was very, very good.
- Bottle shop: we stopped briefly at Siciliano's which lives up to it's rep. Huge selection.

Thanks, I have actually been to Greenbush before, my mom grew up in a tiny town next to the tiny town Greenbush is in. It was before I was really into beer, and before they were even being distributed at all, nonetheless distributed to Chicago, but I do remember thinking that the place was incredibly cool and brewed really good beer for where it was located.

If we go to GR I will definitely go to Vivant.

broom fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 18, 2014

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

broom posted:

Chicago and back to Chicago (via Munster)

There's no reason for you not to hit up Bells and Greenbush on the way down from Grand Rapids.

I vote Grand Rapids just because you have so many options - Founders, Vivant, Perrin, Hopcat, Grand Rapids Brewing Company. Founders is good, they have an awesome beer garden and at least 5-6 unique offerings on tap at any given time.

Straight up, I'd rather go to Bells over Founders, but Grand Rapids is way better than Kalamazoo.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

broom posted:

I recently took a MI brewery tour road trip and had a fantastic time. We stayed in Grand Rapids but next time I'd probably stay in Kalamazoo. Bells had a bigger selection and I had a great time there. Founders just had the same old stuff you could get anywhere. They should have their outside patio area completed by the time you're there so that will be nice to check out. There's a service called the GR Hopper in Grand Rapids that was pretty great. Only 10 bucks or so for pickup and drop off whenever you call them. Definitely saved a ton of money on it over a taxi.

I agree that Vivant is a must see, it was the highlight of the trip by far.

Greenbush had fantastic food and good beer. Definitely worth the very small detour.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

If you've got extra time and are willing to take a detour on the way back, I hear very good things about Bare Hands in Granger, IN (basically go straight south on 131 from Kalamazoo) and Iechyd Da in Elkhart (they're only about a 20 minute drive apart). I haven't been to either, but I'm planning on making the trip out there after things warm up. Don't prioritize them over Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo, though.

I'd take Bell's any day over Founders for sheer quality/quantitiy of taproom-only beers, but Grand Rapids is going to give you a lot more options. Vivant was awesome and I highly recommend it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

There's a ton of cool beer bars and breweries in downtown GR these days, downtown Kalamazoo is kinda lovely in comparison so I would highly recommend you stay at a hotel downtown GR. Lots of stuff within walking distance to visit, including Founders, Hopcat, GR Brewing Company, etc. Here's an adorable map listing them all: http://www.experiencegr.com/includes/media/docs/ExpGR-Beer-Map---1-pg-Sheet.pdf

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Looks like based off a GI tweet that Madame Rose is definitely on its way. It'll be at this: https://www.cityeats.com/chicago/restaurants/smallbar-division-chicago/restaurant_offers/312

E: vvv I'll probably get just 1 like I did for Lolita, Juliet, and Halia.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 18, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Looks like based off a GI tweet that Madame Rose is definitely on its way. It'll be at this: https://www.cityeats.com/chicago/restaurants/smallbar-division-chicago/restaurant_offers/312

It's a very good beer, but given the increased prices on all the GI big bottle sours, not something I'm going to pick up whenever it comes out again.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 18, 2014

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crazyfish posted:

It's a very good beer, but given the increased prices on all the GI big bottle sours, not something I'm going to pick up whenever it comes out again.

It really sucks that you have to drop $25-$30 for Goose Island sours now. Very hard to justify.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It really sucks that you have to drop $25-$30 for Goose Island sours now. Very hard to justify.

No kidding. Merely 2ish years ago, the sisters went for about $12-$13 like a lot of the other big bottle GI stuff. Underpriced, maybe, but Gillian sure as gently caress does not $30 rock my world, and even their best bottled sour, Juliet, is really hard to justify at $25ish.

The only GI sour I'd drop that much coin on isn't even bottled, and that's Laura, which is essentially bourbon barrel Juliet. poo poo is amazing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

The only GI sour I'd drop that much coin on isn't even bottled, and that's Laura, which is essentially bourbon barrel Juliet. poo poo is amazing.

Never had that, but Dominique was one of the best sours I've ever had. I still don't know what the base beer was, but they aged it in used BCBS barrels. It was very awesome.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Just picked up one of these, wondering what I can get for it on BA:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

danbanana posted:

Never had that, but Dominique was one of the best sours I've ever had. I still don't know what the base beer was, but they aged it in used BCBS barrels. It was very awesome.

Dominique started as a batch of Matilda that got infected by lactobacillus. Instead of dumping it, they aged it in barrels and packaged it in kegs for specialty releases.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ubik posted:

Dominique started as a batch of Matilda that got infected by lactobacillus. Instead of dumping it, they aged it in barrels and packaged it in kegs for specialty releases.

It was good and they should give it all to me.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Ubik posted:

I love me some lactobacillus. Heavy brett sours just don't get that delicious tang.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Left Hand is now putting Wake Up Dead stout in Nitro bottles.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

More breweries need to do nitro bottles. How amazing would be nitro-bottled Breakfast Stout or Velvet Merlin be?

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

crazyfish posted:

More breweries need to do nitro bottles. How amazing would be nitro-bottled Breakfast Stout or Velvet Merlin be?

I 100% agree. I've never had a beer on nitro that was worse for it - not always necessarily better but interesting and different nonetheless.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Nitro Pale Ales can be (but aren't always) pretty lackluster.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 19, 2014

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

confonnit posted:

I 100% agree. I've never had a beer on nitro that was worse for it - not always necessarily better but interesting and different nonetheless.

A bar by me had Deschutes Red Chair on nitro and CO2. The CO2 was waayyyyy better. I doubt I'll bother with another nitro IPA if CO2 is an option.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

How amazing would be nitro-bottled Breakfast Stout

eeeeew

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I don't know about just throwing everything on nitro, but the Founders Nitro Oatmeal Stout is drat good.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Midorka posted:

It's been out for a while actually. I wasn't super impressed, I think their nitro bottled milk stout is still their best offering.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

I'm the light brown stouts. Is it really so hard to take pics of the actual bottles instead of photoshopping labels on a generic base bottle pic? I've noticed this is a lot of beer marketing and it annoys me for no good reason.

I've never been a big fan of nitro'd beers, either. Every one that I've been able to try as regularly carbed vs. nitro, I've preferred the regularly carbed one. Nitro makes for a super smooth drink, but it just seems to me to wash out all the nuances of the beer.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

confonnit posted:

Gotta disagree with this. The majority of nitro beers I've tried have been worse off for lacking CO2. Carbonic acid adds a certain bite that a lot styles - including IPAs and other hop-forward types - need more than they need a creamy head. Stouts are generally good on nitro, especially milk stouts. Other styles I'm very leery of switching from good old carbon dioxide.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

bartolimu posted:

Gotta disagree with this. The majority of nitro beers I've tried have been worse off for lacking CO2. Carbonic acid adds a certain bite that a lot styles - including IPAs and other hop-forward types - need more than they need a creamy head. Stouts are generally good on nitro, especially milk stouts. Other styles I'm very leery of switching from good old carbon dioxide.

100% in agreement. I barely even like nitro stouts.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i bet a nitro saison would be pretty awesome... not! as stated, stouts are the only thing i'd want on nitro and even then i'd say only half of them benefited from the treatment.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I think the key is that a beer has to be brewed with the intention of serving it on nitro. LH Milk Stout and Guinness are obvious examples that are, and taste great that way. Taking any random beer and putting it on nitro changes it quite a bit and usually not for the better. Like bart said, the carbonation is part of the flavor profile and the recipe is balanced to account for that. When you remove it suddenly poo poo is out of balance. It can be a fun novelty to try a sampler glass of your favorite pale ale or whatever on nitro but I wouldn't want to drink every pint that way.

Also I didn't really like Wake Up Dead at all, with or without nitro :(. Not Left Hand's best work, IMO.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

LeafHouse posted:

A bar by me had Deschutes Red Chair on nitro and CO2. The CO2 was waayyyyy better. I doubt I'll bother with another nitro IPA if CO2 is an option.

I had Red Chair on nitro. It tasted flat and was awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Well, I wasn't really saying that every beer would benefit from being on nitro, just that I find it enjoyable trying new things that aren't usually on a nitro tap. I've just never had one that was necessarily worse because of it...I guess I've been lucky.