Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Collateral Damage posted:

And I'm guessing the whole thing is at least a six figure fuckup?

Probably 7 figures. Steel alone would be almost 5 figures depending on the grade to 6 figures. They probably will make a new one because you never know how bad something can be messed up even if they can fix the bent plates in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Here's an automotive-related horrible mechanical failure:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/12/sinkhole-collapses-kentucky-corvette-museum

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
News from my old hometown, truck driver forgot he had a crane on the back of the wagon:

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/video-footbridge-collapses-over-busy-doncaster-road-1-6431918

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow, that's a pretty big sink hole. I hope they are able to recover the cars without too much damage.

Or OTOH, someone should ask where Das Volk was at that the time the sinkhole appeared ;)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Godholio posted:

For some reason gifs aren't loading on my phone. :(

Also Baltimore has been a shithole for over two centuries.

Default setting, at least on the Android app is to have gifs not animate unless you touch them. You can disable it in the settings.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So the thread has intentional tunnelling that doesn't really work, and unintentional tunnelling that works far too well. Figures.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

InitialDave posted:

News from my old hometown, truck driver forgot he had a crane on the back of the wagon:

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/video-footbridge-collapses-over-busy-doncaster-road-1-6431918

Now he has a bridge on the back of the wagon :|.

Edit: Just saw that this was in Doncaster. I'm totally not surprised that someone from Doncaster would do this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Now he has a bridge on the back of the wagon :|.

Edit: Just saw that this was in Doncaster. I'm totally not surprised that someone from Doncaster would do this.

:eng101: Hah! He was going to Doncaster!

Probably from Rotherham. :colbert:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

the spyder posted:

It's not what happens right after you run it, it's what could happen in the next 1-10k. This all depends on how the car was taken care of, but if you run seafoam/mmo/ect through a block that you don't know the history on and missed a oil change or three, it will break free large contaminants, clog, and possibly cause serious damage.

On the flip side, tossing a bottle of Chevron Techron cleaning in your gas ever 15-30k is not a bad idea. I've done it regularly to all our vehicles and it's kept the injectors in great shape.

I sold it probably a thousand miles after the oil change... Yikes.

Certainly did not mean to sell a ticking time bomb. :ohdear:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

I was wondering why a bunch of fire department trucks and cops were sitting around there. I thought someone had broken in or there was a fire I didn't see.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Collateral Damage posted:

And I'm guessing the whole thing is at least a six figure fuckup?

Considering that it also fell into the machine and took out a good part of it, yes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

Some insurance adjuster is going to poo poo a brick.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

InitialDave posted:

Let me rephrase that, I'm totally not surprised that someone would do that to Doncaster. It's probably an improvement.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Trying to get home in time for tea. No time to waste with trivial things like lowering the crane into a safe position.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"How could you forget the boom?"

"Forget? Did you hear that fucker?"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Normally we reserve the finger for ez-out work, but in this case the photo is the culmination of 3 hours of work.

The strut broke internally, which in itself wasn't really the problem. The problem was that the top nut would release no matter what. No matter the tool or combination of tools, no release on it. So I cut the strut and ground flat spots on the shaft afterwards so I could stick it in a vice and turn it, eventually getting off the nut and salvaging what parts I needed.

It was only later that it occurred to me that using a sawzall inside a spring compressor may not have been the brightest idea.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It was only later that it occurred to me that using a sawzall inside a spring compressor may not have been the brightest idea.

:stonklol:

So did you feel :clint: or did your rear end eat a chair when you realized this?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Who let dasvolk drive a NASCAR pace car?

http://jalopnik.com/chevy-ss-pace-car-goes-up-in-flames-at-sprint-unlimited-1523747377

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

AmericanAussie build quality!

Seriously, I wonder what happened. I was thinking it might be the equipment to run the lightbar, and one of the commenters (who seems to be a track safety worker there) is saying the same thing.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

So the thread has intentional tunnelling that doesn't really work, and unintentional tunnelling that works far too well. Figures.

hah!

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
My extra job is car wash maintenance for the largest self serve car wash company in the country. It's been loving cold so this winter has been brutal on hoses and fittings. I've had poo poo freeze and break that never never breaks. Here's an ice mountain and the leaking manifold box that i can't turn off until i actually fix it. If i turn off the weeps then the line will freeze all the way back to the building causing even more problems.

I carry one of those deadblow hammers like you see on a crab boat on Deadliest Catch for this very reason. It's fixed now but this is a common occurrence.

Floors are heated or this would be even worse.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I always wondered if the car wash themselves maintained it or if they outsourced to anyone/the chain. I guess now I know.

If you have any funny stories you should make a thread or something, though I bet the auto washes have more horrible customers than the self-serve.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I always wondered if the car wash themselves maintained it or if they outsourced to anyone/the chain. I guess now I know.

If you have any funny stories you should make a thread or something, though I bet the auto washes have more horrible customers than the self-serve.

We have auto washes also, people can not loving drive.

You put your money in the bunker and drive straight in. We have rails because evidently people can't drive straight forward. Yes, people drive over the rails weekly because they can't loving drive straight.

Maybe you'd like to drive into a garage door as it opens.

We use big fuckoff garage door openers so basically it will eat itself trying to go up. Sheetmetal screws and a prybar sort of fix it.

That was a brand new door from an old person mistaking the gas for the brake and running through the old one. Old people are the number one reason for car wash doors going missing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I can't say I've ever seen an automatic roll up door on a car wash before. :iiam:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

I can't say I've ever seen an automatic roll up door on a car wash before. :iiam:

In places with weather this happens frequently. My carwash not only has roll up doors but they're manual ones in the winter.

Do you guys have dryers in your auto carwashes or do you just let the water boil off the surface of the car as soon as you step out of a building and directly into the core temperature of Hell?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

some texas redneck posted:

I honestly haven't seen one without. There's a couple that are manually rolled up via chain at some smaller local washes but most are automated. The garage door style doors I've seen in places where space isn't an issue, otherwise it's a roll up style. Maybe it's a cold climate thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Do you guys have dryers in your auto carwashes or do you just let the water boil off the surface of the car as soon as you step out of a building and directly into the core temperature of Hell?

The automatic ones have dryers, though the cheapest wash options usually don't run it.

And as you pointed out... don't really need that in the summer anyway.

Bajaha posted:

I honestly haven't seen one without. There's a couple that are manually rolled up via chain at some smaller local washes but most are automated. The garage door style doors I've seen in places where space isn't an issue, otherwise it's a roll up style. Maybe it's a cold climate thing.

I guess it is.

This is the car wash I usually use; they don't even have roll up doors on the auto wash bay. Click the image for streetview..

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm in the same general area as STR, and I've never seen doors on a car wash either. I can certainly see why you'd want doors up north in the winter. Didn't notice them when I've visited up there, probably because it wasn't winter.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

I can certainly see why you'd want doors up north in the winter. Didn't notice them when I've visited up there, probably because it wasn't winter.

Honestly I live in the snowbelt of NE Ohio and I can only think of one self-serve carwash that has a roll-down door on one side. It would be nice to see more like that (seems like the bays are wind magnets that become more effective as the temperature gets lower), but at most of the ones by me you're lucky if 75% of the bays are operational at any given time.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Here in Charlotte, self service washes don't have doors, but I don't know that I've ever seen an automatic wash without a door on each end. It's ubiquitous enough that it's probably building code, actually.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Around here they usually just have rubber flaps that you drive through.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Never seen a car wash with a door here in CT. They tend to stay closed for business if it's below freezing, which is irritating.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Your cam seal just poo poo.

Ahahaha yep

Also, I couldn't find a c-clamp to compress the tensioner so I used what I had on hand. Is this a mechanic(al) failure?

The seals were hard enough that I could try to stand on them sideways and there was no squish or deflection. The timing belt in the car still had its timing marks on it, so it had to be new. Why whoever did the belt 10k ago didn't do the cam seals and water pump/thermostat I'll never know.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

In places with weather this happens frequently. My carwash not only has roll up doors but they're manual ones in the winter.

Some of them have dryers, Norwalk for example has an air curtain on the back of the building. The automatic car washes all have auto doors. The doors keep the bay warmer in the winter, which keeps the ice down, and in the summer it keeps the spray inside instead of blowing water all over the parking lot. The self serves have roll up doors that we lock down in the winter to keep the wind out and the ice down.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mechanical to almost the point of failure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x85YYLuCY4

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mechanical to almost the point of failure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x85YYLuCY4

Until that plane gets almost to the ground you could believe it was VTOL. That pilot must have trouble sitting with balls like that.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

EightBit posted:

Until that plane gets almost to the ground you could believe it was VTOL. That pilot must have trouble sitting with balls like that.
Would/should/do pilots that have that happen treat that as an aborted takeoff and max the throttle or just do what they did and make that plane go DOWN, drat it!

also, after a slam like that, does the plane have to get pulled for a maintenance inspection before it's next flight to a LEAST check the shocks?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Fire Storm posted:

after a slam like that, does the plane have to get pulled for a maintenance inspection before it's next flight to a LEAST check the shocks?

Diagnostic procedure:

1. Is there public footage of the landing?
- if YES, proceed to 2. Initiate Detailed Inspection
- if NO, proceed to 102a. Probably Fine (Whew)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Splizwarf posted:

Diagnostic procedure:

1. Is there public footage of the landing?
- if YES, proceed to 2. Initiate Detailed Inspection
- if NO, proceed to 102a. Probably Fine (Whew)

Rule 1 of flying: any landing you walk away from is a good landing.
rule 2 of flying: any landing you walk away from AND CAN USE THE PLANE AGAIN WITHIN 24 HOURS is a great landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
Well it's definitely gonna need new tires in the back.