Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Well what does the constitution say about the capital, if anything? I thought that Nanjing was the official capital, with Taipei as a provisional one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I don't think it says anything, which is why people are trying to move it into their constituencies and get those civil servants to spend their guaranteed lifetime salary on some of our local crap. I don't think the mainstream DPP is actually serious about moving it but some of the more extreme legislators bring it up from time to time like it's a thing that could actually happen.

NINJA EDIT: You know what we haven't had for a while? A good brawl in parliament. I mean sure we had the opposition forming human barricades around the podium last year, but I'm talking a good old-school punching and biting throw-down. I want to see one of those again.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 18, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

NINJA EDIT: You know what we haven't had for a while? A good brawl in parliament. I mean sure we had the opposition forming human barricades around the podium last year, but I'm talking a good old-school punching and biting throw-down. I want to see one of those again.
Goddamn, you're right! We need some hair pulling/shoe throwing/food fighting going on with everybody wearing their team uniform/vests so Taiwan can get some international attention!

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Yeah, the location of the capital is not specified in the constitution. I don't know why it would be; most constitutions don't specify a capital I think...

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hitension posted:

Well, there was that time the capital was apparently Nanjing, but that got redacted real fast

Moving the official capital might be a wise decision. The chairs need new upholstery and it looks like it hasn't been renovated since the 40's. I think the real question is will the big fancy rocks and jerked meat be cheaper and higher quality than what is currently offered at the Presidential Palace?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
It wouldn't be without precedent, didn't Brazil move their capital so it could be in the exact geographic centre of the country. I forget why Australia put theirs not in Sydney, but I seem to remember it was some equally asinine reason, but I'm not 100%.

I don't think Taiwan could actually do it without looking horribly corrupt and squanderous (possibly not a word). The buildings and infrastructure surrounding all conform to a good set up, eg. the foreign office and home office are within spitting distance of the President. There's more to it than just those, but yeah, replicating that in bumfuck wherever would simply look hella retarded, and that costs more in reputation than the annual(hilarious) punch up in parliament.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
My home state of South Carolina moved the state capital from Charleston to Columbia only because Columbia was central and Charleston was coastal. Columbia is a festering shithole, and probably has been since it was founded. Meanwhile, Charleston is probably the only livable place in the state. I forget if this was before or after Carolina split into North and South Carolina, but that's not terribly relevant. There is American precedent, too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

url posted:

It wouldn't be without precedent, didn't Brazil move their capital so it could be in the exact geographic centre of the country. I forget why Australia put theirs not in Sydney, but I seem to remember it was some equally asinine reason, but I'm not 100%.

Canberra was chosen as the capital because it was a geographic compromise between Sydney and Melbourne to prevent favoritism. It was set up in the same manner as Washington, D.C. was, which was a compromise to prevent Northern and Southern favoritism. Brasilia was supposed to have been built in the 1800's to prevent regional favoritism but building never began until the late 1950's.

Taiwan is so small and transportation from one end of the island to another is so easy and readily available that such talk is asinine. It really doesn't make any sense to move the capital other than a political statement to separate the country from its past. For instance Ankara was chosen to be the capital of Turkey because it wasn't associated with Turkey's Ottoman past. I could only see it being done if the president at that time wanted to do something stupid like proclaim Taiwanese independence.

EDIT: They'd have to change all the Olympic stuff as well since they couldn't be Chinese Taipei.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They'd have to change all the Olympic stuff as well since they couldn't be Chinese Taipei.

Chinese Kaohsiung doesn't have quite the same ring.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

I forget why Australia put theirs not in Sydney, but I seem to remember it was some equally asinine reason, but I'm not 100%.
Because Melbourne wanted it too, so Canberra was created so that both cities could go gently caress themselves.

quote:

I don't think Taiwan could actually do it without looking horribly corrupt and squanderous (possibly not a word). The buildings and infrastructure surrounding all conform to a good set up, eg. the foreign office and home office are within spitting distance of the President.
That's mostly because everything in Taiwanese politics is horribly corrupt and squanderous. But you could totally come up with a good framing for moving it to Tainan - make it out as the final cutting of the cord tying Taiwan to the days of martial law and authoritarianism. Tainan has such a place in Taiwanese history a solid argument could be made for it as capital, plus it wouldn't look as pandering as moving to Kaohsiung would. It'd give Tainan a boost up into the big leagues, too.

e:

EDIT: They'd have to change all the Olympic stuff as well since they couldn't be Chinese Taipei.
You say that like Taiwan has any say in the matter.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TetsuoTW posted:

They were given a choice between Taiwan and Chinese Taipei. It could have been worse, they could have been Chinese Taibei.

Chinese Taipei gets to have the 12 pointed sun on their flag though which is a banned symbol in the PRC. That's actually enough to drive a good deal of PRC nationalists into hysterics.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

that's not terribly relevant.

mlyp

:v:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

That's mostly because everything in Taiwanese politics is horribly corrupt ......

I 100% agree that there is some bent-as-a-9-bob note poo poo here, but, it absolutely without-question pales to the big leagues. The poo poo that I see going on here is pretty base level stuff.

Disclaimer, I don't know this poo poo as well as you do. But, ballot stuffing, last minute gerrymandering, flight delays and vote buying...all very tame. Really-really tame in the grand scheme of things. The financial jiggery-pokery that goes on here is only a shade more advanced...., again, as far as I can tell, ymmv, 2c disclaimer, etc. etc.

To me me it looks like amateur hour trying to play pro.

TetsuoTW posted:

As much as i love to discuss this stuff, and try to avoid conflating issues, i agree. My concern is that I don't think most of Taiwan's stance holds water; and, there are more serious regional issues at stake. This penny pinching amateur hour state of affairs 'will' be brought to heel. (to do the conflation thing)

I'd say 8-10 years. When the big players say 'this issue gets resolved within a generation', I'd wager you wanna get your house in order and get all the begging done within the deadline.

I'd look to South Africa and obviously HK for the precedent. Rapid consolidation of assets, liquid wealth and some migration. Them are the indicators that count.

Having offices formally recognize each other, short months after having been given permission to launder 'alot' of jelly beans, seems like the path is set and everyone is on board.(yay for mixing metaphors)

Tldr, I agree, I don't think Taiwan has any say, and moving capital at this stage of affairs is so desperately naiive I'm stunned at myself for even commenting on it.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

^I totally agree. Taiwanese people who've never been to China complain about the corruption/societal problems and it's like bitch please

They were given a choice between Taiwan and Chinese Taipei. It could have been worse, they could have been Chinese Taibei.

Chinese Taipei gets to have the 12 pointed sun on their flag though which is a banned symbol in the PRC. That's actually enough to drive a good deal of PRC nationalists into hysterics.

Wait, I don't think they were given a "choice" to be Taiwan. That's kinda the whole point.

There was a point in the 1970s where the UN said the ROC could stay in the United Nations if they went under the name Taiwan and CKS turned it down though. Probably one of the most :doh: moments in history I can think of.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Is that true? I remember seeing it all over Sun Yat-Sen's mausoleum near Nanjing. Do they just ignore it there since Sun Yat-Sen is like the only guy everyone can agree on liking?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It can't actually be banned to the point where it has been totally expunged, because I remember seeing photographs of it hanging in some museum in China on Wikipedia before.

fake edit: here, "Museum of the War of Chinese People's Resistance Against Japanese Aggression" (it just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?) in Beijing.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It's definitely not banned, considering the Revolutionary Committee of the Kuomintang is the second largest party in the CPPCC with like a third of the seats.

edit: http://www.minge.gov.cn/
peep that thoroughly not banned flag and very unfortunate piyin name
edit2: hahaha they have a hit counter on the bottom of the page. What is this, a 1997 Geocities site?

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 19, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was told by a number of Chinese people that it's a symbol that will get you in trouble, in the same vein as other separatist or anti-government symbols. It's allowed in a historical context and when they depict the Guomindang as brutal tyrants in dramas. A coworker of mine for instance was talked to about wearing a Guomindang pin with the same tone and concern that you'd have for someone wearing a Nazi pin in the West. We teach kids from Taiwan too and they all thought it was awesome. I've been told as well that flying the flag can land you in jail or get you a visit from the police as well.

The Revolutionary Committee of the Guomindang doesn't actively use those symbols as well to my knowledge, they're not on their website, and most Chinese people have never even heard of them either. Most Chinese people, even educated and knowledgeable people, don't seem to know about the existence of the 8 minor political parties.

The ROC was given the choice of "Chinese Taipei" or "Taiwan" by the IOC. The ROC took Chinese Taipei because it implied that they were still a part of China while Taiwan was ambiguous.

EDIT: I'm not seeing a flag and I've been straight up told by Chinese employers that GMD stuff was unacceptable.

DOUBLE EDIT: It's also unacceptable in the context of the Chinese Taipei flag because it implies ROC control over the island of Taiwan. The PRC still proclaims that they are an illegitimate government and does not recognize their control of Taiwan. It's one of the reasons why Taiwanese fans had to wave similar looking flags during the 2008 Olympics.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 19, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Taiwan's even close to as bad as China in terms of corruption, but it's still definitely corrupt. Beyond the petty poo poo like vote buying, decisions are clearly frequently made with the interests of guanxi and rich-rear end contributors first, middle, and last. It's corrupt in the same way US politics is corrupt, Taiwan just doesn't pretend there's anything wrong with it. China's just rotten right through at all levels. At least some Taiwanese politicians seem like they give a poo poo about Taiwanese people.

The ROC was given the choice of "Chinese Taipei" or "Taiwan" by the IOC. The ROC took Chinese Taipei because it implied that they were still a part of China while Taiwan was ambiguous.
True, but there's no way Taiwan would even be given a free choice over its name today. China would poo poo the bed loudly and profusely until the "correct" option was chosen. Just like they do any time Taiwan dares have the temerity to try and contribute anything to the global community.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Taiwan's even close to as bad as China in terms of corruption, but it's still definitely corrupt. Beyond the petty poo poo like vote buying, decisions are clearly frequently made with the interests of guanxi and rich-rear end contributors first, middle, and last. It's corrupt in the same way US politics is corrupt, Taiwan just doesn't pretend there's anything wrong with it. China's just rotten right through at all levels. At least some Taiwanese politicians seem like they give a poo poo about Taiwanese people.

True, but there's no way Taiwan would even be given a free choice over its name today. China would poo poo the bed loudly and profusely until the "correct" option was chosen. Just like they do any time Taiwan dares have the temerity to try and contribute anything to the global community.

The Taiwan Megathread 2.0: China would poo poo the bed loudly and profusely

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

As far as I know the ROC flag in mainland China can only be displayed under a historical context, "this was once the flag of our country, now it's not". I don't think you're allowed to just whip out an ROC flag or wear it on a shirt or something. Likewise they will refer to 民國時期 or the Republican Era as the whole 1912-1949 historical time period, whereas in Taiwan they think 民國時期 is still going on.

The CCP might completely erase Zhao Ziyang and the Tiananmen 6/4 incident, but they haven't reached the point of absurdity where they are willing to erase several decades of Chinese history, especially when they can strawman it as "the corrupt and horrible past". (Can someone name a point in Chinese history that was NOT corrupt and horrible?)

I do think it's absurd when Taiwan still uses 民國 as a time marker for things though. Just so un-international and irrelevant...
Plus it makes everyone look 11 years older.

It's one of the reasons why Taiwanese fans had to wave similar looking flags during the 2008 Olympics.

Oh man, this.
http://www.libertytimes.com.tw/2008/new/aug/17/today-olympic4.htm
Taiwanese-American sports fans waving the flag of Myanmar because it looks kinda like the ROC flag.

Grandpa: I never thought that I'd still be able to see the Republic of China flag waving proudly over Myanmar~ busts out National Flag Anthem
Kid: Grandpa, your glasses fell off...
Flag: Hey, it's all your fault I had to change!*

*Myanmar/Burma has been using a different flag since like 2010.

hitension fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 19, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Revolutionary Committee of the Guomindang doesn't actively use those symbols as well to my knowledge, they're not on their website, and most Chinese people have never even heard of them either. Most Chinese people, even educated and knowledgeable people, don't seem to know about the existence of the 8 minor political parties.

The ROC symbols are not actively used but I disagree on the point that other political parties in China are unknown. Membership to a political party was a lot more relevant before the 80's when people were more reliant on the state. A lot of candidates for the CCP were not eligible because of their family history or other nonsense garbage. And people were faced with the choice of being a big fish in a small pond (joining a minor token party) or small fish big pond.

url posted:

I'd look to South Africa and obviously HK for the precedent. Rapid consolidation of assets, liquid wealth and some migration. Them are the indicators that count.

China is using Hong Kong as a test bed and proof of "one country two systems". Most Hongers and Taiwanese see the actual implementation as really big joke :smith:

I'm one of those naive jerks on the other side of the straits who wish to see unification, China not being such a loving joke country, and a highspeed train/bridge from Fuzhou to Taipei.

But then again, Zhuyin looks like Klingon to me and confuses me because I'm a moron :downsrim:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You don't really need to know zhuyin for any practical reason though. If you are already familiar with Simplified, Traditional shouldn't be too terrible to learn to just read.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

caberham posted:

I'm one of those naive jerks on the other side of the straits who wish to see unification, China not being such a loving joke country, and a highspeed train/bridge from Fuzhou to Taipei.

I am even more naive and pro-unification as I support the establishment of a Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

The capital should be placed somewhere with great historical importance e.g. the Diaoyutais.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

I thought the textbook standard for Taiwan was Practical Audio-Visual Chinese? PCR is the hot mainland garbage I learned from back in NZ. PAVC is actually pretty good as CFL materials go.

Good to know, since I've just blown 22,000NTD on a university course using it...

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

caberham posted:

Do you mean Xiamen? Fuzhou would be even further and less relevant

I did a TinEye and didn't find anything; did you come up with this yourself? If so, that's pretty creative on the spot

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

House Louse posted:

Good to know, since I've just blown 22,000NTD on a university course using it...

In fairness, by all accounts the New PCR is a lot better.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

caberham posted:

China is using Hong Kong as a test bed and proof of "one country two systems". Most Hongers and Taiwanese see the actual implementation as really big joke :smith:

But then again, Zhuyin looks like Klingon to me and confuses me because I'm a moron :downsrim:

I'm the same, I'd like to see full integration, and yeah - a train would be an awesome thing great way to spunk a poo poo load of taxpayers cash.

I'm only beginning to see how to use zhuyin after being here two years.
(I stopped taking classes when I stopped getting free lessons at work, I only recently started classes again.

kenner116 posted:

I am even more naive and pro-unification as I support the establishment of a Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

The capital should be placed somewhere with great historical importance e.g. the Diaoyutais.

Genius!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

kenner116 posted:

Fuckin yeah, I approve.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

hitension posted:

I did a TinEye and didn't find anything; did you come up with this yourself? If so, that's pretty creative on the spot

url posted:

Genius!

I am a creative genius (by google image searching for greater east asia co-prosperity sphere flag).

House Louse posted:

How many hours of class per week? A three month, 15 hours per week course is 27,000 here at Chengchi U, which I believe is one of the less expensive programs in Taiwan.

I've used PAVC books 2 and 3 and have no complaints, really, despite the wacky adventures of Lin Jianguo and Gao Weili. Finals tomorrow, so will be listening to Jianguo/Weili dialogues all evening.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Some Koreans would commit actual murder over that flag.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Some Koreans would commit actual murder over that flag.
I'd have thought they'd just claim to have invented it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They'll definitely kill some birds indigenous to Korea while sorting that out though.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I sometimes wonder if PAVC is actually Taiwan-based given how many 鐘頭s and 要是s and endless 兒s it throws around, honestly.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

kenner116 posted:

I am a creative genius (by google image searching for greater east asia co-prosperity sphere flag).
Wait, are you sure? I GISed the same thing with no results. Nor does it seem likely that the Japanese would want a flag with the KMT logo as the most prominent symbol on it.

quadrophrenic posted:

I sometimes wonder if PAVC is actually Taiwan-based given how many 鐘頭s and 要是s and endless 兒s it throws around, honestly.

Those words are not particularly used in Taiwan :confused:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Maybe he meant that because it throws them around so much, it's Taiwan trying to sound like the mainland without actually understanding the nuances of their usages.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Those words are not particularly used in Taiwan :confused:
That's the point. It is Taiwan based, but with that kind of usage it doesn't seem like it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Who the hell says 钟头 anywhere. I've never heard it outside of my Chinese 101 class and I'm at year 4 over here. It's just like 您贵姓 which I only use as a comedy greeting.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Who the hell says 钟头 anywhere. I've never heard it outside of my Chinese 101 class and I'm at year 4 over here. It's just like 您贵姓 which I only use as a comedy greeting.

鐘頭 is just old timey and more colloquial. People in Hong Kong, South East Asian Chinese and southern China use it :eng101:

您貴姓 is just being polite. There's nothing wrong with it. You just lack manners :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I used 貴姓 a lot when I was in the army manning the duty room. :downs: