Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

Space-Bird posted:

I'm using Manga Studio 5, and have an Intuos 5. when I flip between the eraser/pen, they act as such, but I have to switch between tool boxes manually, I'm wondering if I'm not just missing an obvious option box to tick somewhere. I can't seem to find it.

Have you checked the system properties for the tablet? Usually those kind of hotkey and stylus settings are separate from programs and instead buried in the computer's control panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
A lot of you guys seems to use Manga studio for your work, and I've been debating making the switch to try it out. As of right now my entire process is in photoshop and I was wondering what the benefits to manga studio are over PS. I've heard it's good for linework but Photoshop is still better for color.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Febreeze posted:

A lot of you guys seems to use Manga studio for your work, and I've been debating making the switch to try it out. As of right now my entire process is in photoshop and I was wondering what the benefits to manga studio are over PS. I've heard it's good for linework but Photoshop is still better for color.

Manga Studio colour handling has improved greatly between MS4 and MS5. I'd say that it's straightforwardly superior for comics making in essentially all aspects, unless I suppose you work with filters or something, or really like photoshop's brushes.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Fangz posted:

Manga Studio colour handling has improved greatly between MS4 and MS5. I'd say that it's straightforwardly superior for comics making in essentially all aspects, unless I suppose you work with filters or something, or really like photoshop's brushes.

Nah, no filters and not too many special effects, just dumb cartoons with mostly flat colors. I'm just curious what about manga studio is so much better.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You can also save and open .psd in Manga Studio so if you find you don't like colouring in it so much, you can just do what you want in each program.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Febreeze posted:

Nah, just dumb cartoons with mostly flat colors. I'm just curious what about manga studio is so much better.

It's made with making comics as its primary function, and as such, the interface and functionality is built around that, whereas photoshop is a more general-purpose tool that most people think needs some workarounds to really be ideal for comics making. Manga studio has perspective tools, will automatically convert your pencils layer to photoblue or whatever with a button, lots of little things, plus it has storyboarding capabilities and lots of other things built in that are primarily for comics that you'd have to custom configure in PS.

To be honest, I'm not even that far in to messing with MS, but I've used PS for years and it took me like 5 minutes to figure out MS and get started on making comics in a way that felt like doing it w/ pen and paper right out of the box whereas in PS I'd probably have to screw around with settings for a while to even get started.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Febreeze posted:

I still have to move back and forth between Manga Studio and Opencanvas for my work, but there's no question that Manga Studio is the best program for making comics in the traditional manner (sketch, ink, color). It'd be worth it for the pen controls alone. Super intuitive.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Febreeze posted:

Nah, no filters and not too many special effects, just dumb cartoons with mostly flat colors. I'm just curious what about manga studio is so much better.

There is a ton of stuff.

- better, more customizable brushes for inking
- tools for cutting up pages into panels, dialogue balloons
- a much superior magic wand tool (fill to darkest pixel yay), anti-overflow
- seamless vector artwork integration
- single button to switch to transparent drawing: use any brush as an eraser!
- 3d objects to use as references, a bunch of rulers
- It feels like, a more customizable interface. Less useless junk
- faster, cheaper

Scialen
Nov 5, 2010

Look into my eyes...
Following on with this discussion - are the EX versions worth the price bump, or are standard versions still fantastic if you're on a budget?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Scialen posted:

Following on with this discussion - are the EX versions worth the price bump, or are standard versions still fantastic if you're on a budget?

The standard version of 5 is perfectly good for most people. 4EX was a lot better than 4 Debut though.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Scialen posted:

Story mode is handy, but you don't need it. If I had extra money after buying standard, I'd go for the custom brushes/templates out there before I thought about EX.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Just to add to the manga studio discussion. I just released my first page done completely in manga studio here and I'm feeling a huge difference. I'm finding I'm able to do a lot more, and do it a lot faster in manga studio, and I'm still a bit clumsy with the UI. Some of the worst advice I got was "You can make art in -ANY- program, there's no need to switch over!" Switching gears with art programs can be a hassle, but I'm definitely glad I got over the hump.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I'm not constrained by a budget (beyond reasonable levels, no fancy super versions) so what version would most people recommend?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

The basic model is on sale on amazon for thirty bucks right now. I'd say go with that unless people have a more compelling argument for the mega edition.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Space-Bird posted:

The basic model is on sale on amazon for thirty bucks right now. I'd say go with that unless people have a more compelling argument for the mega edition.

I don't. Get the regular version because it is awesome and cheap. If you really like it and want EX later they offer you a discount for an upgrade for about the cost of the regular version.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It is frustrating that the digital download version of Manga studio 5 is no longer available. It's 2014, physical media is dead people!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Just plunked down the cash for Manga Studio on y'all's recommendations, since it sounds better than the free stuff I've been using.

Now I should probably get a tablet and stuff... Oh God, how do I figure out what's good... Technology is so intimidating!

ETA: Maybe instead of freaking out and being vague, I should ask specifics!

What would y'all recommend for someone who primarily does computer coloring but analog everything else, but who's interested in trying out the whole process in digital?

I'm kind of a luddite and averse to new things. I'm just starting to really notice the limitations of my current technique.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 19, 2014

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Giving Manga Studio a try now, I can't say as I see a difference in the inking, though. Am I missing something? It feels pretty dang similar to Photoshop.

I'm using a Yiynova MSP19U, if that makes a difference.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

It is frustrating that the digital download version of Manga studio 5 is no longer available. It's 2014, physical media is dead people!

That's because MS5 is actually a localization of Clip Studio Paint, and the publishers of CSP took back the digital download rights. They offer an English-language download here for about the same price as MS5 costs retail. Amazon deals and stuff make MS5 cheaper at the moment, though.

e:

Puppy Time posted:

What would y'all recommend for someone who primarily does computer coloring but analog everything else, but who's interested in trying out the whole process in digital?

I'm kind of a luddite and averse to new things. I'm just starting to really notice the limitations of my current technique.

Manga Studio's inking engine will do you just fine. There are a lot of virtual brushes that represent different tools--from pens to charcoals to watercolors. That said, you really want a tablet to make full use of MS's features. There's a thread for that stuff here.

Bro Enlai fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 19, 2014

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Kojiro posted:

Giving Manga Studio a try now, I can't say as I see a difference in the inking, though. Am I missing something? It feels pretty dang similar to Photoshop.

Probably not. I imagine mileage varies on all this stuff. If you have photoshop tweaked to a way you like it, and not instantly in love with the pens/brushes/features, it might not really be worth it. I went from Open Canvas, to SAI, to Manga Studio, so the progression was maybe more natural for me. I could never get photoshop tweaked in a manner I enjoyed drawing with... so maybe you've already won!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Bro Enlai posted:

There's a thread for that stuff here.

This is exactly what I needed, thanks!

(And thank you, Space Bird, for starting that thread!)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

loving hell. My new computer doesn't even have a disc drive. How'm I supposed to get Manga Studio, pony up for an external disc drive I'll only use once?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Speedball posted:

loving hell. My new computer doesn't even have a disc drive. How'm I supposed to get Manga Studio, pony up for an external disc drive I'll only use once?

Rip the ISO on a different computer, use the CD key on the envelope to register.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Kojiro posted:

Give the perspective grids a go though. Much better than Photoshop's offering.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fangz posted:

Rip the ISO on a different computer, use the CD key on the envelope to register.

Ffft. That's not an option for me. I'll suffer without for now.

I don't know why, I've been in a horrendously bad mood ever since I got re-reminded about Corsetto's Sexy Self Comics Day. Touches way too goddamn many sore spots for me, I guess.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Digital War posted:

Give the perspective grids a go though. Much better than Photoshop's offering.

I've got some custom shapes in PS that make grids and I skew them til they suit. Perhaps this just isn't the program for me, I thought I'd try it in case I was being a crusty old dinosaur by clinging to what I know, but I'm not sold on it instantly, that's for sure.

Edit: I kinda like the frames thing though!

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 19, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kojiro posted:

I've got some custom shapes in PS that make grids and I skew them til they suit. Perhaps this just isn't the program for me, I thought I'd try it in case I was being a crusty old dinosaur by clinging to what I know, but I'm not sold on it instantly, that's for sure.

Edit: I kinda like the frames thing though!

There are a lot of features in there that aren't apparent immediately though.

Try creating a new Vector layer and inking on that.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
The speech bubble tool is also pretty cool but it doesn't feel like a huge improvement over ellipse tool + stroke + warp, except for the tails. I'll carry on playing with it, I'm probably coming into it wrong since I'm messing around with a half-done page in it instead of starting a new one there.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Just plunked down the cash for Manga Studio on y'all's recommendations, since it sounds better than the free stuff I've been using.

Now I should probably get a tablet and stuff... Oh God, how do I figure out what's good... Technology is so intimidating!

ETA: Maybe instead of freaking out and being vague, I should ask specifics!

Graphics tablets have a bit of a learning curve- imagine you're putting a pen to paper, but not seeing any of what you're doing on the paper. They're a huge help with most digital artwork though. You should probably start off with a lower end Wacom if you're a luddite, especially since you don't know how well you'll like using a tablet. Wacom tablets are more expensive than some of the other tablets out there, but the drivers suck to install on the cheaper models- Wacom's pretty much plug and play.

The Intuos Pen is the smallest and cheapest of Wacom's tablets (Intuos is what they had for their professional line, now all their tablets are Intuos) and might be your best option.

Wacom has some competition nowadays though. I currently use a Monoprice tablet.The one I have only cost $50 and works at least as well as the Wacom tablet I bought for 4X that much. The dude who popularized the Monoprice tablets posted another review of a different tablet that he prefers in the same price range. The drivers suck to install, but I haven't had any problems since, but it might not be worth the hassle for you.

For you I would recommend the Wacom. If you like it but want more drawing area the other tablets are cheap enough that it's not a big deal.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Wacom has some competition nowadays though. I currently use a Monoprice tablet.The one I have only cost $50 and works at least as well as the Wacom tablet I bought for 4X that much. The dude who popularized the Monoprice tablets posted another review of a different tablet that he prefers in the same price range. The drivers suck to install, but I haven't had any problems since, but it might not be worth the hassle for you.

For you I would recommend the Wacom. If you like it but want more drawing area the other tablets are cheap enough that it's not a big deal.

As a dedicated tightwad, I am now leaning toward trying that Monoprice. I'm willing to deal with mild digital irritation to save money. Especially for something that was so highly praised.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
I spent years working with Photoshop and Illustrator as a graphic designer, but I recently picked up Manga Studio and perosnally find it worlds better in terms of getting in there and arting it up. It felt nice just being able to open a canvas and go to town on inking without having to go through a hundred different steps to get the settings exactly as I want. The program was clearly set up with some very specific goals in mind. Basically, if you are specifically looking to put together a comic book, or specialize in digital art, I really do feel like MS is the best bang for your buck. Also, I too use a Monoprice, and can reaffirm that it is very much a high quality tablet.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Speedball posted:

Once you have a valid serial number, you can grab the "update" from the Smith Micro website, which comes in the form of a full-installation download. That's how I got it onto my no-drive tablet computer.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Puppy Time posted:

As a dedicated tightwad, I am now leaning toward trying that Monoprice. I'm willing to deal with mild digital irritation to save money. Especially for something that was so highly praised.

Yeah the drivers aren't even that bad to install, just make sure you install them before plugging it in and you'll be fine.

and frankly I think Wacom tablets are a complete rip off these days, at least if you're not in the market for top of the line like a Cintiq. They are more solidly built, but considering I could literally replace my monoprice six times before it worked out more expensive for the same quality of drawing surface that's not really much of a selling point. Doesn't help that their most recent line of Intuos was supposedly pretty bad.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
My Monoprice tablet doesn't work for poo poo anymore, on my old Vista machine or my new one running 8.1. No amount of loving around with the drivers could make the cursor stop bouncing around for no reason at all. I like my Intous Pen a million times more.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
Anyone here have any experience doing 100% traditional comics?
I want to try and do some stuff 100% traditional, but I need some tips, even if I actually plan on only doing it, like, 85% traditional (I want to do the text in the bubbles digitally. Still hand-written, mind you).

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I work mostly traditional right now, and have worked 100% traditional in the past. What kind of tips are you looking for?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I'll give advice if possible, too. I do sketching, inking, and coloring all traditionally. I do a bit of coloring tweaks/flats digitally, and also correct blatant inking mistakes when they occur, and other little odds and ends to ease the transition from a traditionally made piece to a digitally viewed one. I try to get the page as finished as possible before I scan it.

Straight up though that's some of the best advice I can give is to do as much as you can traditionally before you scan it. Obviously in your case you'd exclude the dialogue from this, but at least in my experience, reducing the amount of work I need to do on the computer is ideal. Because once you scan the full work, inks colors and all, you have essentially a one-layer flat piece to work with, it can be difficult to use a lot of the shortcuts that more digital artists are able to use, and it's kind of a trial-and-error thing anytime you need to try something new to merge digital/traditional.

So yeah- try not to rely on the computer as a crutch, saying "Oh I won't worry about the [image element] I can just add that in later on the computer," because you might find yourself- if you're anything like me- subconsciously piling up the amount of things that need to be fixed "in post." Keep in mind that big mistakes can definitely be fixed on the computer, and that if you do really need to save something until that stage you can, but try to do it sparingly. It's difficult to blend purely digital elements with purely traditional ones*, I've found, just because the texture difference and clarity can be so jarring. Some artists can pull it off with ease and you may well be one of them, but I'm just laying out worst-case scenario type stuff here.

*Most of my advice refers to merging a traditionally colored piece with digital elements, not inking traditionally and then coloring digitally, which tends to yield very pleasing results.

And I'm sure you know this already, but don't be discouraged when something that looks stunning on the page looks like yesterday's lunch once it's scanned. The initial scan rarely can accomodate the beauty of an already completed traditional piece and is likely to require at the very least some levels, contrast, or saturation adjustments. Just, like, be prepared for the disappointment, I guess is what I"m saying.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Not that I have much to show for it yet, but I'm going pretty much 100% traditional here, too.

Even when I goof up on my text, I've been painting over it with white paint and then re-doing it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go to get things scanned or some tips on how to use a camera to get a good picture I could use in lieu of a scan? I don't really have it in my budget to buy the 11*17 scanners I have my eyes on. I'd much rather put some cash towards web-hosting and other setup costs for now.

I'm in Portland, Oregon if you have specific advice based on my location.

I've been playing around with sizes and did my last 3 page story at 12*16 and the one I just started will be 11*17, all turned horizontally because if it's being viewed on a screen I have no desire to make someone scroll to see everything. With that in mind, there's no way I'm going to buy another 8*10 cheap scanner and scan a million pieces anymore. If I'm buying a new scanner now, I'm buying the one I'll be using for the foreseeable future.

Marie Albertine
Oct 21, 2012

Ugh, not frustration for comedic effect again!

Geekboy posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go to get things scanned or some tips on how to use a camera to get a good picture I could use in lieu of a scan? I don't really have it in my budget to buy the 11*17 scanners I have my eyes on. I'd much rather put some cash towards web-hosting and other setup costs for now.

For years I used my local library to do just this! If that's not nearby I'm sure some DIY copy-and-print shop would have a large format scanner available for use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph

nikochansan posted:

Anyone here have any experience doing 100% traditional comics?
I want to try and do some stuff 100% traditional, but I need some tips, even if I actually plan on only doing it, like, 85% traditional (I want to do the text in the bubbles digitally. Still hand-written, mind you).

All traditional is fuckin' great. Use non photo blue for the pencils, it makes it a billion times easier to scan (this only applies if you're doing b/w, though). I urge you to do the lettering real-like because it will keep it cohesive and it'll look real nice. I think digital art has come a long way, but I still think a traditional ink brush looks better than digital inking 99% of the time. Try to limit yourself to brushes, crow quills, and thin tech liners/microns; felt tip pens bleed and make wobbly janky lines and are generally shittier. The only thing I really do on computers is coloring, mostly just flats and cel shading. I thought about grabbing MS on sale, but considering how little I'd be using the things it excels at I decided to just download PS cs2 for free instead.

It is very very loving rewarding feeling to make a page/illustration and have the entire finished thing sitting as a physical creation in front of you, all inking, coloring, and text included.

Geekboy posted:

Not that I have much to show for it yet, but I'm going pretty much 100% traditional here, too.

Even when I goof up on my text, I've been painting over it with white paint and then re-doing it.

I'm in Portland, Oregon if you have specific advice based on my location.

I've been playing around with sizes and did my last 3 page story at 12*16 and the one I just started will be 11*17, all turned horizontally because if it's being viewed on a screen I have no desire to make someone scroll to see everything. With that in mind, there's no way I'm going to buy another 8*10 cheap scanner and scan a million pieces anymore. If I'm buying a new scanner now, I'm buying the one I'll be using for the foreseeable future.

11x17 scanners are expensive and the few you can find at libraries usually aren't big enough or have poo poo resolutions. I guess my advice would be to chop the end product in half and stitch them together after scanning (do NOT start and work on 2 seperate pieces, it'll cause the seem to be way more noticeable, make sure you do it as one piece then cleave it).

E: I realize that doesn't sound any different than what you're doing, but I know people who tried to scan their big images in pieces while the whole thing was still intact and that obviously turned out like poo poo, so I guess I thought I'd mention it anyways. Also cutting down the tediousness of editing by cleaning the originals up a lot might help make it feel like less of a grind to get it all done.

Wowporn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 19, 2014

• Locked thread