Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Cragislist Dallas: Looking for an airline to fly 60 EMB-175 aircraft (desperate)

Hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

e.pilot posted:

So even though I just got started on the pilot career path (as in got my PPL and just started college, nowhere close to making money yet lol) I am having second thoughts and really considering applying for ATC.

Would I be stupid not to?
I'd get veterans preference too. :o:

Can anyone help me put together a list of pros/cons for Pilot vs. ATC to help convince the wife?

Animal and xaarman already said it in very simple terms, but true. I know TONS of people that fly on the side outside of work, and I have met more than a few professional pilots that made the switch due to how the pilot working conditions are right now.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
One of my ATC Academy classmates was there while on furlough from PSA. He got recalled after several weeks of class and he told them "no." He now has a much better income and job security with the FAA working in central TX and I think he's pretty happy. He still flies and instructs occasionally on the side to stay aloft.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

With ATC, the hours aren't exactly nine to five, but you do get to sleep in your own bed every night. I hear wives like that.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but I just got confirmation that I am allowed into the Norwegian/scandinavian study to become an air traffic controller but I'll, like everyone else, have to do several tests to see if I have the proper skills in order to become one. I have to admit, I am quite excited because it seems really, really cool and I didn't expect that I was ever going to be allowed to even try doing those tests at all. My question is, what is it I might expect from the tests? And what is required of me to become a "good" air traffic controller? What does a normal/hectic day as an air traffic controller look like?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm not sure if we have any Norwegian controllers actively posting, but I started an ATC specific thread here because there is a lot of hiring going on in the US right now and I thought it might be helpful.

At least for the US entrance exam, it has quite a bit of math (time/distance problems, no calculator you're supposed to do them mentally), a section on reading gauges of various values, a visual analogy and word analogy segment, and a couple mini games. One is letter game, another you pick out specific sequences of numbers from a sea of random ones, and another that is sort of a mock ATC radar game where you guide fake airplanes to land. Very primitive overall, it's just to detect an aptitude for multi tasking and the like.

Being a good air traffic controller is being able to stay calm, keep track of several visual and audio sources at the same time, and have a good knowledge of the rules and regulations governing your country's aviation system. In a nutshell, I think a great bartender could also make a great air traffic controller. Perhaps also someone who's really good at strategy or puzzle games. Eventually it all boils down to how you handle live traffic, and you'll never know for sure until you try.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Perhaps also someone who's really good at strategy or puzzle games.

I always told my gamer friends "think radar as StarCraft and tower as Devil May Cry".

woops, wrong thread I suppose?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

American has said they want to shut down Eagle/Envoy, but it's not clear they can do so without shooting themselves in the foot.

Most of the regional airlines are struggling to find enough pilots to staff their normal schedules right now, so there's really no one that would be able to absorb the amount of flying Eagle does, especially since American would likely try and give the work to lower-paying regionals that no one is applying to work for.

Pretty much. That letter about helping pilots to find jobs elsewhere was effectively calling managements bluff. They threatened to shut eagle down as a fear tactic, even though it would be utterly insane of AAG to release the ~2600 pilots at eagle. When the AIP crashed and burned I think it really threw a wrench into their plans. The whole "We'll let you fly more/bigger airplanes if you give up pay." thing just isn't working anymore and they don't quite know how to deal with it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What would happen if everyone on a fully loaded 747 decided to jump up and down at the same time?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the posted:

What would happen if everyone on a fully loaded 747 decided to jump up and down at the same time?

The flightcrew will be annoyed.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

hailthefish posted:

The flightcrew will be annoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG6p0z_W2Bo

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Ethiopian Airlines hijacked en route to Rome. According to LiveATC listeners they landed on fumes in Geneva with one engine flamed out. Not a lot of details yet.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Someone on the jetcareers forums noticed the flight squawking 7500 on flightradar24.com and posted a thread about it last night. He got laughed at for 3 pages before the thread got closed. Then they reopened it once they realized it was a legitimate situation and they were idiots.

Great job, jetcareers. The first 3 pages of that thread are full of stupid image macros.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Co-pilot went off the rocker - http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ethiopian-airlines-hijacker-threatened-to-crash-plane-passenger-says-1.2539920

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Was being super mature in the Frasca today. :v:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Yup, this is glorious.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't know. The balls are ok but the shaft could really use some attention.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Agreed. The dong is not up to PTS.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So I was looking at the previous return flights from St. Kitts to Miami International. What's interesting is that it looks like they all have this slight speed increase at the same exact time, about an hour into the flight. What's happening there?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

the posted:

So I was looking at the previous return flights from St. Kitts to Miami International. What's interesting is that it looks like they all have this slight speed increase at the same exact time, about an hour into the flight. What's happening there?

My guess would be either wind, or (more likely,) whatever FlightAware does when they process flight data is producing some kind of artifact.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

Agreed. The dong is not up to PTS.

Agreed but I ran out of time in class to do it again. :smith:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
nice try :dong:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 18, 2014

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

e.pilot posted:

While I can't take photo of it, it's a common practice in the E-2 if we're doing a hot swap (landing and switching crews for a new mission without shutting down the plane) for the off-going crew in the back to leave a message for the next guys, either using the scope software or drawn on the screen itself using a grease pencil. In the absence of anything more creative, this takes the form of a penis.

One guy decided to take it a step further. The next crew was going to be controlling some fighters in a specific practice area. He drew a large dong-shaped zone on the scope way out to the west of the area. He then created a manual computer track, slaved the dong to it so that the dong would go wherever the track went, and set the track's course and speed to a carefully calculated value.

Sure enough, right on schedule in the middle of the next mission, a giant penis appears on screen, flying serenely through the MOA.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Wingnut Ninja posted:

While I can't take photo of it, it's a common practice in the E-2 if we're doing a hot swap (landing and switching crews for a new mission without shutting down the plane) for the off-going crew in the back to leave a message for the next guys, either using the scope software or drawn on the screen itself using a grease pencil. In the absence of anything more creative, this takes the form of a penis.

One guy decided to take it a step further. The next crew was going to be controlling some fighters in a specific practice area. He drew a large dong-shaped zone on the scope way out to the west of the area. He then created a manual computer track, slaved the dong to it so that the dong would go wherever the track went, and set the track's course and speed to a carefully calculated value.

Sure enough, right on schedule in the middle of the next mission, a giant penis appears on screen, flying serenely through the MOA.

I love the relative immaturity and goofiness that seems pervasive throughout the aviation community. It's almost as bad as the military lol.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Finally have CPDLC Capability, dear lord it's amazing.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well I'm sure this was a fun flight:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25165449/turbulence-injures-flight-attendant-denver-billings-route

quote:

Joe Frank, 20, a passenger on board, told The Denver Post in an e-mail that everything was fine, then in an instant, the plane dropped violently, accompanied by a loud "bang."

"The sudden drop pulled everyone out of their seats, and I mean hard," Frank said.

The drop was so forceful, Frank said, an infant flew from a parent's arms and landed in another seat nearby. The baby seemed unharmed, just scared, he said.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SCOTLAND posted:

Finally have CPDLC Capability, dear lord it's amazing.

Do you ever need to use free text mode or do the preprogrammed responses and requests cover mostly everything?

Is voice just used when the system is otherwise unavailable or for emergencies?

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

Do you ever need to use free text mode or do the preprogrammed responses and requests cover mostly everything?

Is voice just used when the system is otherwise unavailable or for emergencies?

Only used it on two trips so far, but as far as the free text portion we only used it to add turbulence reports when requesting FL changes.

We revert back to HF voice if the system fails, or there is any ambiguity.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

SCOTLAND posted:

Only used it on two trips so far, but as far as the free text portion we only used it to add turbulence reports when requesting FL changes.

We revert back to HF voice if the system fails, or there is any ambiguity.

Is it obvious to you when you're about to enter another oceanic FIR? How do you know the CPDLC login for the next FIR, is it included on your flight plan/clearance?

I work the HF across the atlantic and caribbean and it amazes me how many cpdlc pilots seem clueless about either where they are or who they're supposed to be talking to.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Let me quote myself from another thread:

in another thread KodiakRS posted:

By the way our only real fear about turbulence as pilots is that some idiot is going to try to go to the bathroom in it and on the way they trip and injure themselves leading to an inevitable lawsuit.
Which, if you look past the sensationalist comments from the passengers, is exactly what happened.

The Denver Post posted:

The captain of Flight 1676 declared a medical emergency on the trip after hitting a rough patch of turbulence.....and landed without incident in Montana
Notice that the emergency was medical in nature and the plane kept on flying.

About those sensationalist comments:

passenger posted:

The sudden drop pulled everyone out of their seats, and I mean hard
Hmmm, that's odd. That shouldn't happen if you're wearing your seat belt. Was this guy being a dumbass and not wearing his seat belt like he was probably told do to a dozen times before they hit the turbulence?

passenger dumbass posted:

I didn't have my seat belt on, so I hit my head pretty hard. But what hurts is my lower back and hips
Yep. Like I thought. He's dumbass.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Is it obvious to you when you're about to enter another oceanic FIR? How do you know the CPDLC login for the next FIR, is it included on your flight plan/clearance?

I work the HF across the atlantic and caribbean and it amazes me how many cpdlc pilots seem clueless about either where they are or who they're supposed to be talking to.

Only way I know where the FIR boundaries and the CPDLC logons is by looking at the Jeppesen maps, LIDO (Lufthansa Flight Planning Software) doesn't seem to list it anywhere. On our airplane, as we approach the boundary it shows that the next FIR is, then within 20 miles or so we get a ding telling us it has logged us on. The CPDLC page on the FMS is however, not something we rest on, so I guess you need to be actively checking.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

SCOTLAND posted:

Only way I know where the FIR boundaries and the CPDLC logons is by looking at the Jeppesen maps, LIDO (Lufthansa Flight Planning Software) doesn't seem to list it anywhere. On our airplane, as we approach the boundary it shows that the next FIR is, then within 20 miles or so we get a ding telling us it has logged us on. The CPDLC page on the FMS is however, not something we rest on, so I guess you need to be actively checking.

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

KodiakRS posted:

Hmmm, that's odd. That shouldn't happen if you're wearing your seat belt. Was this guy being a dumbass and not wearing his seat belt like he was probably told do to a dozen times before they hit the turbulence?

Yep. Like I thought. He's dumbass.

Disclaimer: not a pilot.

Is it not possible to run into turbulence without any advance warning. Usually you hit a bit, and THEN the pilot tells you to put your belts on because they've just noticed the turbulence.

Basically what I'm saying is, are you not being a little too quick to judge?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

thehustler posted:

Disclaimer: not a pilot.

Is it not possible to run into turbulence without any advance warning. Usually you hit a bit, and THEN the pilot tells you to put your belts on because they've just noticed the turbulence.

Basically what I'm saying is, are you not being a little too quick to judge?

The seatbelt sign is only to let you know it's probably ok to go to the bathroom. They always ask that you keep your seatbelt fastened while at your seat regardless of the sign.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

DNova posted:

The seatbelt sign is only to let you know it's probably ok to go to the bathroom. They always ask that you keep your seatbelt fastened while at your seat regardless of the sign.

Bollocks, you're right. I forgot that.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

thehustler posted:

Bollocks, you're right. I forgot that.

Understandable given how much commercial airlines have raised the noise floor with their long-winded and far-too-numerous announcements, demonstrations, and videos.

They really need to pare it down, in my opinion.

Also: flight attendants (and pilots!), loving say what you want to say and then shut up for a while, please. Don't stand on the mic for excessive periods of time as you have a leisurely stream of consciousness. First of all, nobody cares about whatever you are saying 99.9% of the time, I promise. Second, you are forcing everyone's movies or tv shows to pause and making us realize the poo poo reality we are in. Stop it!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

DNova posted:

Also: flight attendants (and pilots!), loving say what you want to say and then shut up for a while, please. Don't stand on the mic for excessive periods of time as you have a leisurely stream of consciousness. First of all, nobody cares about whatever you are saying 99.9% of the time, I promise. Second, you are forcing everyone's movies or tv shows to pause and making us realize the poo poo reality we are in. Stop it!

#firstworldproblems

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

xaarman posted:

#firstworldproblems

Pffff any complaints about flying in an airplane qualifies as firstworldproblems :)

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I was on a Delta MD-88 Flight in which the Flight attendants actually made the safety breifing... fun. They knew that everyone flying aboard had heard it a million times and cut the time from 6-7 minutes down to about... 2 with the finest auctioneer voice I'd ever heard. Afterwards they held the presentation for everyone who requested/didn't understand. A high spot on an otherwise lovely day of travel (Travelling to KJFK during a snowstorm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've been on a Southwest flight where one of the stewards pulled out an acoustic guitar and SANG the safety briefing.

After landing, he rapped the thanks-for-choosing-Southwest announcement.

He was godamned amazing.

• Locked thread