Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Tsk tsk Hel. You just got a front row seat for an examination of the conventions of narrative and what happens to those who don't understand them, and you're letting your servant keep Durkon around?

I'll see you in say late 2016 for the 'Oh, Durkon finally amassed enough willpower to break free at a crucial time? Because he's a hero and a stubborn dwarf and you're an arrogant god who can't see the power in such things? Even after those likely happenings were literally dangled in front of your face? TOLD YOU SO.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Durkon's only breaking free if Vampurkon slaughters a gypsy family and the last survivor curses him with a soul.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Carrasco posted:

I don't think this is what's being implied by Durkula automatically being promoted to "High Priest"--there are probably other clerics of Hel, but as a high-level cleric who is now a vampire he's probably the most powerful.

Well Durkon did say at some point that nobody worships her. I don't know if he meant it literally or not, but there you go.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Raenir Salazar posted:

I still don't buy this w.r.t Malack, he clearly thought of himself as well, 'himself', an extension of his previous self, he thought of his once living brothers as his brothers not his host's. That's as clear as day with any cursory read as written interpretation of the text.

My theory is that the magic Malack used to speed up the process required getting a formless outsider and then he himself intended to finish the process in such a way that had Durkon in control; since he had a powerful psion as an ally I think this is plausible. Malack wanted a colleague, and that's what he saw Durkon as, it doesn't jive that he'ld knowingly vampirize him without someway to insure Durkon was mostly himself at the end of the process.

Technically, Malack only said that Durkon couldn't save him, as his devampired-self would be very different from his current self.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Cornwind Evil posted:

Tsk tsk Hel. You just got a front row seat for an examination of the conventions of narrative and what happens to those who don't understand them, and you're letting your servant keep Durkon around?

I'll see you in say late 2016 for the 'Oh, Durkon finally amassed enough willpower to break free at a crucial time? Because he's a hero and a stubborn dwarf and you're an arrogant god who can't see the power in such things? Even after those likely happenings were literally dangled in front of your face? TOLD YOU SO.'

In just about any other circumstance this would be a valid concern, but this is just how D&D vampires work. Durkon can have all the willpower in the universe, but it won't matter for gently caress all. He's not getting out until somebody stakes Durkula.

vv also true

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 19, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, I don't think Durkula has a choice about keeping Durkon around inside of himself.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It would be interesting if Hilga returned and saved Durkon somehow. Now that would be a twist.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Loki is Hel's father in Norse mythology. If anything she'd be more likely to side with the vampire.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

My Lovely Horse posted:

Loki is Hel's father in Norse mythology. If anything she'd be more likely to side with the vampire.

Loki is also a notoriously capricious prankster who doesn't really get along with his kids until Ragnarok.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

my dad posted:

Loki is also a notoriously capricious prankster who doesn't really get along with his kids until Ragnarok.

Awww, she just wants to bond with her daddy!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slime posted:

Awww, she just wants to bond with her daddy!
Burlew :argh:

Anyway Ragnarok is exactly what's on the table here so

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cthulhuchan posted:

In just about any other circumstance this would be a valid concern, but this is just how D&D vampires work. Durkon can have all the willpower in the universe, but it won't matter for gently caress all. He's not getting out until somebody stakes Durkula.
Won't be the first time Durkon's bent the rules for a little drama.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

It would be interesting if Hilga returned and saved Durkon somehow. Now that would be a twist.

Haha, I said the exact same thing!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Why does this keep happening to me in this thread? :argh:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Worth pointing out for when the party runs back into the Sapphire Guard is that by 3.5 rules Paladins are not allowed to knowingly work with sentient undead under any circumstances without their powers shutting off. Undead are powered by negative energy, negative energy is Evil with a capital E, and Paladins are forbidden from using evil means to achieve good ends.

Once Lien and O-Chul find out about Durkula, they have to try to murder him lest their magic powers go away.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Froghammer posted:

Worth pointing out for when the party runs back into the Sapphire Guard is that by 3.5 rules Paladins are not allowed to knowingly work with sentient undead under any circumstances without their powers shutting off. Undead are powered by negative energy, negative energy is Evil with a capital E, and Paladins are forbidden from using evil means to achieve good ends.

Once Lien and O-Chul find out about Durkula, they have to try to murder him lest their magic powers go away.

It's not that draconian. They do have a bunch of rules, but the ZAP UNPOWERED only applies to the "don't do evil actions" rule.

quote:

Code of Conduct

A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.

Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
Associates

While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good.

For OotS examples, Belkar worked alongside Miko (crushing the ogres), Hinjo (defending Azure City) and Moustache Paladin (in the resistance) without any of them losing their powers for it. At least two of them were well aware of Belkar's nature, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, God, I just realized. We have five weeks between now and the next comic update, that not even Rich being okay can save us from.

This thread is gonna be unbearable.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
V just corrected someone's grammar right to their face. Talk about signs you've slid toward the dark side...

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Froghammer posted:

You only fall immediately for committing an evil act. Working with evil people isn't evil in itself, it's just a violation of the paladin code, which makes it chaotic. A paladin can commit the occasional chaotic act without falling so long as it's infrequent enough that their alignment doesn't drop to NG while doing it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Leper Colon V posted:

Oh, God, I just realized. We have five weeks between now and the next comic update, that not even Rich being okay can save us from.

This thread is gonna be unbearable.

With some luck there'll be some Kickstarter stuff update in the meantime.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Since this book is over, a new thread might be a good idea. Or maybe when the strip is back in march/april.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

You only fall immediately for committing an evil act. Working with evil people isn't evil in itself, it's just a violation of the paladin code, which makes it chaotic. A paladin can commit the occasional chaotic act without falling so long as it's infrequent enough that their alignment doesn't drop to NG while doing it.

Plus I imagine the gods would let associating with a chaotic individual slide if the paladin was helping him expose an unjust ruler, or something like that. When the law is corrupt, paladins aren't expected to obey. That's what Miko tried to do, but while Shojo might have been a sneaky, underhanded bastard he wasn't corrupt.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm a bit disappointed that Hel is just straight-up villainously evil. That's 2 for 2 on death gods being evil, and I'm not sure the Eastern Pantheon has a one (Rat?).

And it looks like the main bit of development Durkon will have in the next book is having to deal with his best friend and everyone he trusted letting this happen to him. I can only imagine how Roy would try to justify it to the paladins.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Loki, the guy who lets his kid be used a steed by his brother?

Then again based on how he got that one he might hate it more.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 19, 2014

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Kajeesus posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that Hel is just straight-up villainously evil. That's 2 for 2 on death gods being evil, and I'm not sure the Eastern Pantheon has a one (Rat?).

Why? Hel is pretty evil in Norse mythology.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Not only that, but Hel specifically asks after Durkon's spirit prompting the conversation. Now the conversation is open ended enough that it may have been purely for the audience's benefit to understand that Durkon is bound mechanically and can do nothing at all, but it also implies that there are variables related to vampirism that Hel, as a goddess of death, doesn't know and would have to check into.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Was Nergal ever shown to be evil? Malack was evil, certainly, but that doesn't mean his god necessarily was. Lawful Neutral seems like it would suit a god of death just fine.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Kajeesus posted:

And it looks like the main bit of development Durkon will have in the next book is having to deal with his best friend and everyone he trusted letting this happen to him. I can only imagine how Roy would try to justify it to the paladins.

That's the most interesting thing here, in my opinion. I really want to know just what Durkon is going to say to Roy when he finally gets raised. Will it cause a permanent rift in their otherwise unshakable friendship?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

oobey posted:

That's the most interesting thing here, in my opinion. I really want to know just what Durkon is going to say to Roy when he finally gets raised. Will it cause a permanent rift in their otherwise unshakable friendship?

I think there's a nonzero chance that Durkon WON'T be raised, especially now that we know that Nokrud (:byodood:) is in control, not Durkon. Nokrud has little motivation to allow the Order to stake him willingly.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
^^^
At least they can count on V not being zooped away if they fight Durkula, the devils wouldn't want a wild card screwing up their plans nor would they want to waste it.

Oh god, NFL offseason, No OOTs and months until next Hardcore History. This is going to be a lovely spring for my long commute.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

I think there's a nonzero chance that Durkon WON'T be raised, especially now that we know that Nokrud (:byodood:) is in control, not Durkon. Nokrud has little motivation to allow the Order to stake him willingly.

I was kind of hoping this would turn out like the forgotten realms vampires, where good people who were turned into vampires were fine until the uncontrollable thirst hit. Like the famous battlerager in the last Drizzt novel. It looks like Burlew is more of a fan of the Buffy style demon vampires.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rocketrobot posted:

Not really. Heck, none of Loki's children are particularly evil, at least at first. (Fenrir, for a different example, was pretty much a perfectly friendly, if loving enormous, wolf who liked the Aesir, but they grew fearful of him (because of a self-fulfilling prophecy, no less) and bound him. He caught on to this, of course, which is why he ended up biting off Tyr's hand in the final, successful binding attempt.) Hel was sent off to rule the nasty realm that was later named after her, more or less because she was really ugly (not joking), and given dominion over the dishonored dead. Her realm was an awful place to "live", but given her circumstances that's not really surprising. And, unlike Fenrir and Jormungandr, who both get revenge during Ragnarok for how the Aesir treated them, as far as I can remember Hel doesn't even do much then. She just has a terrible job that no one likes her for. She's more or less like Hades, except even less liked or respected and not a proper god.

Really, a big part of Norse mythology is the Aesir doing questionable or outright awful things, such as binding Fenrir and slaying some other of Loki's children (which, as Loki is blood-brother to Odin, is kin-slaying, one of the gravest sins they could have committed), and then later facing the consequences. Loki and the others who brought said disaster upon them are bad, too, but arguably a lot of Ragnarok's events are in fact justice for the Aesir's actions. Or something; there's a thread over in Trad Games that has a lot of Norse (and other) mythology, if you want a better description and other interesting stuff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

rocketrobot posted:

She wasn't so much evil as just bitter, after being given the shittiest job in Norse mythology. Like Hades, except that everyone cool specifically gets a different, better afterlife. I'm not expecting Rich to conform to mythological accuracy, either way.

E: Yeah, what he said.

Zetetica posted:

Was Nergal ever shown to be evil? Malack was evil, certainly, but that doesn't mean his god necessarily was. Lawful Neutral seems like it would suit a god of death just fine.

Presumably the whole "empire of a thousand sacrifices a day" wasn't something Malack came up with, but I guess it's not explicitly stated, neither.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm sure the angels of Nergal just loving love all the paperwork associated with 1000 sacrifices a day. At least when it's natural causes it's a short form.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

Okay now I'm just about positive that Durkon is going to kill Belkar.

Didn't you hear the speech about how we couldn't possibly predict the twists? That means Durkon is going to charm Roy into murdering Belkar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Random Stranger posted:

Didn't you hear the speech about how we couldn't possibly predict the twists? That means Durkon is going to charm Roy into murdering Belkar.

I think Burlew's admitted to changing some story elements a few times because he hates the idea of people seussing out what's going to happen, which strikes me as a terrible flaw for a writer to have.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

Fearless prediction: he doesn't get raised, he gets destroyed at the last Gate, Durkon's soul being destroyed as well.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

Fearless prediction: he doesn't get raised, he gets destroyed at the last Gate, Durkon's soul being destroyed as well.

Surprised no one has made this prediction:

Belkar dies killing vampire Durkon, completing his character arc, and paying Durkon back for saving him against Malack. Neither get rezzed for ~reasons~.

e: spelling

Gregen fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 19, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Belkar and Durkon's spirits showing up together Yoda and Obi-Wan style would be pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cornwind Evil posted:

My favourite part about Durkon getting vamped is that he chose it. Malack gave him ... three? four? fairly reasonable alternatives and he refused them all.