Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Avulsion posted:

What does this mean for people who haven't played in years?

The ESS is a deployable (fairly cheap, anyone ratting can afford one) that sucks up 20% of all bounties from ratting and then pays 20-25% back when someone goes to it and hits button (it also gives you faction LP as you rat, so it's pretty awesome).

The downside is that hostiles can fly up and hit another button that takes the whole pot, which can be very lucrative if you go in hard and fast with an interceptor gang. That, combined with the single-digit 'days since we lost a carrier' Theta counter means that Dek has been flooded with hostiles for the last few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

goodness posted:

If you are on Eve now, I am a Recruitment Director and can talk to you.

message Generic5Guy

goodness posted:

Message me in game as well. If you are not on the game, just email me at pleasedontscammebro@gmail.com. Yes this is my real email, named so because I made it to sign up on some dumb website.

Remember how recruitment-scamming J4Gs in the Eve thread was forbidden by Vyst in the last iteration of this thread?

Also.

CainFortea posted:

I saw one dude who's name was something like "lIllIlilILIllI1"

If I may, for your kind consideration, submit what a dude called 100101101001101011 (or something along those lines) does to fleet comms.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Alchenar posted:

The downside is that hostiles can fly up and hit another button that takes the whole pot, which can be very lucrative if you go in hard and fast with an interceptor gang. That, combined with the single-digit 'days since we lost a carrier' Theta counter means that Dek has been flooded with hostiles for the last few weeks.

I logged on this morning to get a tick or two in before work and there was a nulli blops gang in system :( Still I made my AFKishtar purchase (VFK prices) back in 2 days. From here on out, it's profit. I just imagine having 4 ishtars running and you're looking at a super in 5 or so weeks.

TCD fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 19, 2014

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Oh god, I resubscribed. Oh god, I never did AWU V. :emo:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Germstore posted:

Oh god, I resubscribed. Oh god, I never did AWU V. :emo:

Neither have I, and I'm doing just fine. Of course I'n starting to train some level V cap skills since they'll be really handy. :negative:

e: :allears:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 19, 2014

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp
Won't lie, I'm not a fan of high sec space, though finding carebare corps to rob is a lot of fun.

LabiaBadgerTickler fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 19, 2014

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

LabiaBadgerTickler posted:

Not going to lie, I'm looking forward to joining Goons. Some of the best fun I had was in null sec doing hunts with a fleet of a few hundred. And some of the stories I've heard about goons made me laugh like gently caress and partly rejoin. Though hanging out in high sec is loving dull.

DINGDINGDING

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Not going to lie, I'm looking forward to joining Goons. Some of the best fun I had was in null sec doing hunts with a fleet of a few hundred. And some of the stories I've heard about goons made me laugh like gently caress and partly rejoin. Though hanging out in high sec is loving dull.

This should be fun...

:munch:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I am going to give you some free advice. Now that you have said that, sanitize your post, just delete it, and then do not post in this thread for 3+ months from the date you posted that. If you're a spy digi will eat you alive, and if you're not a spy, you just are a terrible person who cannot read, and browsing the forums and learning how to post and posting a lot will help you a lot when 3+ months from now rolls around. Just banish the thought of Goonfleetwaffeswarm from your head for the next 3 months.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 19, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Remember how recruitment-scamming J4Gs in the Eve thread was forbidden by Vyst in the last iteration of this thread?

Nope I don't, sorry. I guess it is in the Op that all the newbies miss as well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'll make a caveat to the rule that if they are dumb enough to drop one of the "benchmarks" in their lovely intro posts like "looking forward to joining in 3 months or once i get 100 posts". You are authorized to scam the gently caress out of them.

But if they are just saying hi or are being all newbie-ish leave em alone.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vyst posted:

I'll make a caveat to the rule that if they are dumb enough to drop one of the "benchmarks" in their lovely intro posts like "looking forward to joining in 3 months or once i get 100 posts". You are authorized to scam the gently caress out of them.

But if they are just saying hi or are being all newbie-ish leave em alone.

What in the gently caress is your avatar? I can't figure it out.

On second thought, I really don't want to know.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

i do cocaine posted:

Pony butts.

Oh well, at least its not as bad as Blawrf's

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

i do cocaine posted:

My avatar changes weekly, I've gotten to the point where I don't even pay attention to it.

Khriptik
Mar 5, 2013
How much is the ESS normally? Would check in-game but attempting to sleep..

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Besides the default formations for exploration probing for relic sites, does anyone have any recommendations for some good customs ones to save? I was thinking about saving a formation of 4 probes with an overlapping center, and a couple that involve different planes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Virigoth posted:

Besides the default formations for exploration probing for relic sites, does anyone have any recommendations for some good customs ones to save? I was thinking about saving a formation of 4 probes with an overlapping center, and a couple that involve different planes.

I think the default formation is literally the optimal one and there isn't any point trying any others.

Current ESS prices: between 25-30 million. So not so expensive that an individual can't just get one and drop it in their ratting system, a bit too expensive for that same individual to have to replace it every day.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 19, 2014

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Alchenar posted:

I think the default formation is literally the optimal one and there isn't any point tying any others.

I've been doing it all wrong. :negative:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Khriptik posted:

How much is the ESS normally? Would check in-game but attempting to sleep..

25m. For future reference, you can use something like eve-central to check Jita prices.

Alchenar posted:

I think the default formation is literally the optimal one and there isn't any point tying any others.

Seconding this, I've never had a problem with the default pinpoint option.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Virigoth posted:

I've been doing it all wrong. :negative:

The custom probing formations are mostly for doing things like combat probing and stuff like that.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Some of the FCs actually fight to get to do frigate sized fleets. Domifleets are boring for everyone including the FC, and plenty of us would rather be doing the fast paced guaranteed fun frigate sized fleet instead.

Unfortunately, as last night showed, competent subcapital FCs are at a premium in most of the coalition, so the guys that can walk and chew gum at the same time all get to do serious bidness stuff.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If I may, for your kind consideration, submit what a dude called 100101101001101011 (or something along those lines) does to fleet comms.

This needs to be in the OP the rest of the staff in the office are staring at me like I'm some sort of lunatic.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Lowkin posted:

How much faster is skill training with the booster? Can you get it on an account that is past 14 days?

Edit*

17 to all attributes for 7 days

9 to all attributes for 14 days

3 to all attributes for 35 days plus 20% dmg

gently caress me I wish I started with that.

It's 14 days, so +9 top all attributes. And you can stack them with implants, which Goonswarm gives out free +2s (But if you're :shobon: enough you'll be taking enough ISK showers to buy +2s or +3s yourself anywayh).

Uh... I've never really quantified "how much faster" it is... but I can say it's "REALLY REALLY FAST". Just trust me when I say that you'll definitely miss them once your character hits 14 days old and you can't use them anymore (Which is a "no" to using them past an account 14 days old).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Virigoth posted:

Alchenar posted:

I think the default formation is literally the optimal one and there isn't any point trying any others.

It took me awhile to figure out that that custom formations also save the relative positioning and probe strength so that you can set to optimal overlap and range and then save formations for each iteration of tracking down a signature. The pinpoint formation default is in fact the optimal formation (for pinning down a site/ship), so use that as an example when making your iterations of custom formations.

For the record you guys have it loving easy with probe scanning these days :argh:. Ease of scanning down ships has really made range flexibility or mobility ~kind of a big deal~ for fleetcomps because of how much easier it is to pin down a fleet with probes.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Beach Bum posted:

It took me awhile to figure out that that custom formations also save the relative positioning and probe strength so that you can set to optimal overlap and range and then save formations for each iteration of tracking down a signature. The pinpoint formation default is in fact the optimal formation (for pinning down a site/ship), so use that as an example when making your iterations of custom formations.

For the record you guys have it loving easy with probe scanning these days :argh:. Ease of scanning down ships has really made range flexibility or mobility ~kind of a big deal~ for fleetcomps because of how much easier it is to pin down a fleet with probes.

So basically I need to take the pinpoint formation and reduce it, and save each iteration of the reduction in the customs?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

i do cocaine posted:

Battle tech

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Remember how recruitment-scamming J4Gs in the Eve thread was forbidden by Vyst in the last iteration of this thread?[/url]

It wasn't forbidden, he just asked people not to do it. Unless we become a samurai coalition he can't forbid recruitment scamming, and unless he becomes a mod he can't stop you from doing whatever on SA.

That said, it does kind of poo poo up the thread after a while, but no more or less than the usual dozen posts that follow up any other J4G that range from "You aren't getting in" or someone using a several years old J4G joke that they think is still funny (but isn't).

I'm at the point now where I wish we could set up a J4G pubcorp and just be done with it so I never have to hear about it again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Virigoth posted:

So basically I need to take the pinpoint formation and reduce it, and save each iteration of the reduction in the customs?

Yes. Then you won't have to alt-drag to reduce the relative positioning whenever you increase scan strength. In a combat probing situation every second counts. I'm assuming you're only doing exploration right now, but if you get good at it and ever FC a fleet, good combat probers are worth their weight in gold. See: that interceptor fight in O-W. There is nothing quite like ruining the enemy FC's day by catching him unawares with an excellent warpin.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
edit: Beach Bum gave a better answer with regards to combat probing, which I know nothing about :saddowns:

Virigoth posted:

You don't really need to save them, at least in my (very limited) experience. If you use the pinpoint formation and reduce the size by dragging the blue spheres in your system map, all of them will move closer together automatically, so the formation itself remains untouched. That way you get the same overlap and general density, just with a much finer resolution. Once you finish scanning down one signature, simply pull the blue spheres up again to a bigger size for the next signature and scan, they will remain in pinpoint.

That said, what is the other formation good for? I get the feeling most of the time one can just start with the pinpoint formation, since you get a very rough indicator of where the signatures are situated within the solar system even before starting to scan them. Is the other preset perhaps more useful for something like combat probing, which I haven't tried yet and therefore have no experience with?

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 19, 2014

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm at the point now where I wish we could set up a J4G pubcorp and just be done with it so I never have to hear about it again.

Wouldn't ENL-I qualify? CFC wide there's surely more corps that take pubbies (I know mine does), so just point to those?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

You don't really need to save them, at least in my (very limited) experience. If you use the pinpoint formation and reduce the size by dragging the blue spheres in your system map, all of them will move closer together automatically, so the formation itself remains untouched. That way you get the same overlap and general density, just with a much finer resolution. Once you finish scanning down one signature, simply pull the blue spheres up again to a bigger size for the next signature and scan, they will remain in pinpoint.

That said, what is the other formation good for? I get the feeling most of the time one can just start with the pinpoint formation, since you get a very rough indicator of where the signatures are situated within the solar system even before starting to scan them. Is the other preset perhaps more useful for something like combat probing, which I haven't tried yet and there have no experience with?

You don't HAVE to save them, but it takes longer to drag your probes in to optimal overlap than it does to click a dropdown. Once you have those formations perfected it reduces your adjustment times and you can spend less overall time trying to pin someone down.

The other formation is for plopping the center probe on the sun and getting a system-wide scan of all signatures. When I'm combat probing I use DSCAN to locate the celestial the enemy is on, then drop a 1.0AU pinpoint on them to get a warpin on something cruiser sized (my combat prober is all IV's with V in Astrometrics, which is nice because I'm usually scanning from an unbonused recon).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Beach Bum posted:

You don't HAVE to save them, but it takes longer to drag your probes in to optimal overlap than it does to click a dropdown. Once you have those formations perfected it reduces your adjustment times and you can spend less overall time trying to pin someone down.

The other formation is for plopping the center probe on the sun and getting a system-wide scan of all signatures. When I'm combat probing I use DSCAN to locate the celestial the enemy is on, then drop a 1.0AU pinpoint on them to get a warpin on something cruiser sized (my combat prober is all IV's with V in Astrometrics, which is nice because I'm usually scanning from an unbonused recon).

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense. I already edited my post above indicate that your answer is more knowledgeable! :)

What do you think is a good amount of overlapping probes? I've seen some guides mentioning war probing with fewer than 8 probes, i.e. with 4 or 6. Is there something to it? Is the default pinpoint not tight enough?

I'll have to try to fit an extended probe launcher to an Imicus and just go try combat probing in a random system, to see how it works.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense. I already edited my post above indicate that your answer is more knowledgeable! :)

What do you think is a good amount of overlapping probes? I've seen some guides mentioning war probing with fewer than 8 probes, i.e. with 4 or 6. Is there something to it? Is the default pinpoint not tight enough?

I'll have to try to fit an extended probe launcher to an Imicus and just go try combat probing in a random system, to see how it works.

Don't pay any attention to anything working with less than 8 probes, as that is outdated data since the most recent probing patch.

Look at the default pinpoint formation and use that as an overlap template for your smaller iterations.

A good training exercise would be to go to a ratting system and probe down Ishtars. Do let the ratters know what you're doing and that you're a newbee so that they don't freak out and think you're awoxing if they notice probes on DSCAN, and don't do it with a dirty local (they shouldn't be ratting with a dirty local anyway but whatevs)

EDIT: I wonder if those formations are serverside or clientside... Can someone check? I'm almost positive they're serverside, otherwise someone more clever than I (GARPA) would have released something you could send to all of EVE.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 19, 2014

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Auth Team is recruiting - https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/190157-rejection-hotline-goonwaffe-auth-team-recruiting/

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Am I bitter enough to Auth yet? I'll apply when I get home.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Beach Bum posted:

This needs to be in the OP the rest of the staff in the office are staring at me like I'm some sort of lunatic.

That's one of 148 sound files (to be fair, about 100 are several-second-long bits that are more suited for soundboards like this one) and I'm uploading a bunch more later, so you should probably go ahead and leave the office.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

It's 14 days, so +9 top all attributes. And you can stack them with implants, which Goonswarm gives out free +2s (But if you're :shobon: enough you'll be taking enough ISK showers to buy +2s or +3s yourself anywayh).

Uh... I've never really quantified "how much faster" it is... but I can say it's "REALLY REALLY FAST". Just trust me when I say that you'll definitely miss them once your character hits 14 days old and you can't use them anymore (Which is a "no" to using them past an account 14 days old).

I had a +9 for 1 day before I pod jumped and it disappeared, which it's not supposed to do. As it was near patch time, much time passed so when CCP got to my ticket it was long past being able to use a new one.

So the dev did math or something and determined it was an extra 270k skill points for the lost 13 days. Now my alt has an extra 270k skill points.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So lets say that I am about equal in Amarr and Gallente ships and weapons. Is the game balance fairly good these days that it doesn't matter which I decide to dedicate myself down or am I better off with one over the other?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

BadLlama posted:

So lets say that I am about equal in Amarr and Gallente ships and weapons. Is the game balance fairly good these days that it doesn't matter which I decide to dedicate myself down or am I better off with one over the other?

By coincidence, our next doctrine uses both Amarr and Gallente BSes. How do you feel about Napocs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
I honestly do not understand why people complain about highsec being boring. Go to loving nullsec then. Even if your all alone its possible. Nomad life is a life.

On a side note seems CFC is claiming Outer ring as part of the commonwealth. Seems I am gonna be busy since that is my area of space I live in.

• Locked thread