Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If it weren't for 3DO we wouldn't have D, so I can't hate it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I loved Psychic Detective so much. It shouldn't have been fun but I found it fascinating. I really should try to get every ending in that one out of these days. I never did figure out that chess-like mini game that happens at the end though. It just felt random.

I also have a soft spot for The Daedalus Encounter too. Having the player character be a brain in a computer box makes the FMV game framework make sense was pretty ingenious. It doesn't hurt that Tia Carrere is nice to look at too. Some of the puzzles are a little too Myst-y sometimes, but it was still fun.

I do like the granddaddy of them all, Dragon's Lair, quite a bit too. I was determined to figure out that game as a kid and it frustrated me so badly at first. By the time I figured it out, I ended up actually having fun with it, despite the frustrating trial and error experience at times.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

I loved Psychic Detective so much. It shouldn't have been fun but I found it fascinating. I really should try to get every ending in that one out of these days. I never did figure out that chess-like mini game that happens at the end though. It just felt random.

As I recall, you had to locate clues that would let you overcome the other pieces on the board. If you didn't have the clue to counter the other piece then you couldn't clear it. I know I got at least one of the good endings, but I don't think I ever got the best ending.

FrumpleOrz posted:

I do like the granddaddy of them all, Dragon's Lair, quite a bit too. I was determined to figure out that game as a kid and it frustrated me so badly at first. By the time I figured it out, I ended up actually having fun with it, despite the frustrating trial and error experience at times.

I keep trying to beat it at my local retro arcade. I can come close but with only five lives and time timing on a few of the areas really tricky (the reaper room usually catches me just because I can't find a good cue for getting through), there isn't a lot of margin of error.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Which one is the reaper room? Is that the one with the spinning poles at the beginning of the scene? I found the best thing to do on that one was just to hammer UP as soon as the scene started.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Which one is the reaper room? Is that the one with the spinning poles at the beginning of the scene? I found the best thing to do on that one was just to hammer UP as soon as the scene started.

Yeah, where the grim reaper is hanging out past that point. I'll have to try that next time since I was thinking there was a window where you could safely pass. The two poles spin at a different rate which is what made me think that.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I've only played the 3DO and XBLA versions of the game, so I can't say for sure if the timing is the same or not for other versions but I can't imagine they're THAT different.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jewelcases were just an awful invention.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Now that Turbo Everdrives are 100% taken care of, I gotta decide if I want to wait for after EDGB to do SNES flashcart group buy, or if I should just do it now :O (second edit: KRIKzz says not until spring so maybe we'll do SNES soon)

e: If Nintendo didn't junk the SNES CD maybe we would have something better than jewel cases :smith: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4cc2TZRufDtWERQV2FHZFhFaU1odEdTbWlTTHB1REJRNXdr/preview?pli=1

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 19, 2014

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hey guys, so I just moved out of my apartment and into my girlfriend's house. Right now, I've got all of my games and stuff packed away in boxes in the garage. Now, I'm gonna try and keep my stuff organized for once, instead of having it in disparate piles all over the place. I want to invest in some shelving but I'm not sure what to get. My problem is I like the odd-shaped and awkward stuff like 3DO and Saturn/Sega CD/early PS1 and I always have either too much or too little room when I put them on the shelving I have around. Has anyone found something that works really well for that kind of stuff? Any suggestions?

I use these cheap 3x3 square shelves from Wal-Mart. I have my systems on top, then games in the top cubbies, then these square fabric drawers across the bottom with the cables, controllers, and whatnot for each system. It works well for me since I don't keep any hooked up I can just grab a system, the game I want, and the matching drawer and have everything I need.

Here's the best pic I have at the moment.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wonder if Japanese retro gamers fondly remember/hate all the visual novels with stiff anime cutscenes from the CD era like we complain about all the Dragon's Lair style reaction stuff.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Better pic of what I was talking about.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Peenmaster posted:

So the Secret Santa package I sent Heran Bago finally came back to me today!

My plans are to keep it because
1. I gave Heran the cashmonies value of the items a while ago since it looked like customs was loving us
2. Getting a package to Germany is infinitely harder than it should be
3. It has Mr. Mosquito in it.

Heran, let me know if you want me to do a fake unboxing so that you can feel like you opened something on giftmas. Sorry that customs ruined everything.

Conversely let me know if you want me to try and send it again in exchange for the money I gave you.

Edit: I hate to be "that guy" but I'm probably going to opt to not ship internationally next gift exchange. Maybe we should do 2 separate gift exchanges, one for :911: and one for the rest. I know midge doesn't like organizing these anymore so I'd be happy to organize one of them if we decide to split them up.

Yeah please do an unboxing. poo poo yeah Mr. Mosquito. I will put the cashmonies towards things like Ikaruga on Steam which is out now.

For the record sending USPS uninsured out of US is risky business. Germany and Italy particularly bad about this but stuff sent here should be insured, UPS or FedEx, or both. Also don't lie on customs forms when sending things to Germany and if it's a gift then include a letter with the gifts.

From what I can gather about this particular case is that it got lost between leaving the US and arriving in Germany. This has happened to me once before and by the time they found it shipping costs had gone up a few cents and they returned it to the sender for insufficient postage. Insurance would cover these worst case scenarios, but this happening in the first place is very uncommon.

The silliest part of all this is that less than a week after you sent it was when I made my move out of the Bay Area. :suicide:

midge posted:

That would be a problem, since the same 5 goons have already passed gifts to each other in previous ones. There just isn't enough international goons to make it worthwhile doing a separate one, believe me, I considered it.
Well at least there's one more now. :shobon:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Bing the Noize posted:

SNES flashcart group buy

I'm in!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bing the Noize posted:

e: If Nintendo didn't junk the SNES CD maybe we would have something better than jewel cases :smith: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4cc2TZRufDtWERQV2FHZFhFaU1odEdTbWlTTHB1REJRNXdr/preview?pli=1

Since Squaresoft clearly had an SNES CD that they were creating Secret of Mana on, there must be functioning units somewhere out there.

Supposedly the music quality got cut as well. I really wish I knew how far along the game was before being cut and converted.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Awesomonster posted:

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is an adventure game made by Legend based on a series of sci-fi books by Spider Robinson. Its some of the most heartwarming sci-fi I've ever read and it translated really well to a video game, especially since it was in the hands of Josh Mandel. You play a super beardy folk singer named Jake Stonebender (who is also the main character of the books). The main sort of hub of the game is the titular bar, but there are several stories that take you all over the place. Some examples of the people you help are a time traveller, a talking dog, and a vampire. Its a weird game but it all somehow works really well and doesn't feel incongruous at all.

Also a word of warning, it starts out with a word puzzle in the form of a bar game, so if you're not really into word puzzles (and puns) it might not be for you because there are a couple (I found them very clever and fun and not frustrating at all if that helps), but if any of this sounds at all appealing to you, I highly recommend tracking it down. I don't know if telling you where would be considered :filez:, but a hard copy is pretty hard to get ahold of which is why a boxed version was my holy grail and Spider Robinson's website itself links to a couple download options. For a long time, the version you could find online didn't have the movies, music, or sound effects, but I've heard there's an iso of the cd floating around out there now, though I'm not entirely sure where you'd find that.

I could go on but I think I've rambled enough. I love this game, everyone play it, its a great game.

You're making me really sad I passed on a copy for a dollar at my local thrift store a while back.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Hey, remember those stupid expensive Mother 3 translated carts (that you didn't buy because they were too much)?

Well, apparently you can buy them direct from China for way cheaper. It's the "bootleg" variety, so it'll have a battery backed sram (same as the $55 repro), but at this price, it's much more palatable.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/game-cards-MOTHER-3/1472013202.html

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

RodShaft posted:

Better pic of what I was talking about.

Hell yeah! I've got one of those shelves too and it works really well for Sega CD cases. The thing is lighter than air, fairly strong/durable for what it is, and I think it cost me all of $15 way back when.

Bing the Noize posted:

Now that Turbo Everdrives are 100% taken care of, I gotta decide if I want to wait for after EDGB to do SNES flashcart group buy, or if I should just do it now :O (second edit: KRIKzz says not until spring so maybe we'll do SNES soon)

I'm glad someone on their forum said they'd love a GBA everdrive because that's the one that has me the most excited.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bing the Noize posted:

drat, I told myself that I'd only buy flashcarts for portable systems, but an SNES one might be the most tempting in terms of having a massive library of games that appeal to me + having so many be overpriced normally.

Glad I'm not the only one chomping at the bit for a GBA everdrive, too.

Shibawanko posted:

I didn't understand the "clear plastic" fad back then, that gameboy with visible electronics looked so messy.

Oh, I loved the clear plastic, the only clear video game item I ever managed to get aside from GBC carts was the GBPocket and I just couldn't get over how neat it looked, and that along with being a bit more compact was one of the reasons I still used it a lot even after I got later Gameboys. It probably helped that I was always interested in technology and took things apart when I was younger, it just fascinated me to see messy internals. If I ever started collecting different system variants purely for aesthetics, it might be clear variants.

Oh, I guess I got a clear blue GB Boy color now, too. :cool:

midge posted:

I recommend watching the behind the scenes film of The Last Of Us. It's free on Amazon instant right now. http://www.amazon.com/Grounded-Maki...+the+last+of+us

Is there a place to check this out in European countries yet?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

fatpat268 posted:

Hey, remember those stupid expensive Mother 3 translated carts (that you didn't buy because they were too much)?

Well, apparently you can buy them direct from China for way cheaper. It's the "bootleg" variety, so it'll have a battery backed sram (same as the $55 repro), but at this price, it's much more palatable.

Well I know what I'm buying after work today!
Some of those other deals look kind if nice too. Can I find 9 other people who want all the GBA Final Fantasy games for $18 :v:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Bing the Noize posted:

How much would they be? I might be in for one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

fatpat268 posted:

So I don't normally care for bootlegs. But this guy owns.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

fatpat268 posted:

Looks like the same guy does Sega Genesis reproductions for $50 a pop. Always tempting for the Sonic 1 creepypasta rom.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/SEGA-MD-game-card-MADE-with-the-game-you-want/604594_1654733522.html

I'd be down with a groupbuy of either the janky Mother 3 or the FF GBA collection. Or both.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 19, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Well I know what I'm buying after work today!
Some of those other deals look kind if nice too. Can I find 9 other people who want all the GBA Final Fantasy games for $18 :v:

poo poo, for $18+shipping I'm down. They're repros of the European versions, and V and VI are notoriously rare (like Earthbound prices); I think the European release of FF6 was actually the last GBA game ever released officially.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Is there any notable difference between the European GBA FF's and the US version? I might be interested too, but I can't promise anything.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

Is there any notable difference between the European GBA FF's and the US version? I might be interested too, but I can't promise anything.

Gameplay-wise there was a double-turn timing bug in FFIV that was I think partially corrected in the EU version, although I think it's still a bit wonky (the game has one of those increasing-meters to determine turn order like in FF6, but specific characters will often get two turns in a row); generally speaking you're probably best off with the PSP version of FF4 if that's an option (and you're not wanting to play the game in Spanish, German or Italian).

For all five games, the US GBA versions are English-only. The European versions all have French, Spanish, German and Italian translations as well; you get a prompt when you first boot the game, and there's an extra option in the game's options (the same one where you change background color/battle speed etc.) to change the language in-game. The translations are all insanely well done if that's something that interests you.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

fatpat268 posted:

He also apparently has this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EZ-FLASH-IV-Flash-Program-Burn-Card-for-GBA-GBA-SP-NDS-NDSL-Game-Console-Free/904134695.html

Wasn't that the good one?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Heran Bago posted:

Looks like the same guy does Sega Genesis reproductions for $50 a pop. Always tempting for the Sonic 1 creepypasta rom.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/SEGA-MD-game-card-MADE-with-the-game-you-want/604594_1654733522.html

I'd be down with a groupbuy of either the janky Mother 3 or the FF GBA collection. Or both.

On this subject, there's a guy on eBay who sells SFC/Mega Drive repros around $20 shipped. Cheaper than I've ever seen them, but I can't speak for their quality. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251451098859

I'm sure if you sent them a message they'd be able to put whatever you want on there.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh man, yes! That's really hard to find. I'd strongly recommend it for any gameboy player enthusiasts.

Keyboard Kid posted:

On this subject, there's a guy on eBay who sells SFC/Mega Drive repros around $20 shipped. Cheaper than I've ever seen them, but I can't speak for their quality. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251451098859

I'm sure if you sent them a message they'd be able to put whatever you want on there.
What a bargain. I'll ask him about a custom job. It really bums me out that Yoshi is Sonic 2 doesn't work on the real hardware. I would love to blow some minds with that one.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Wanna earn $$$ from home? Repair some Sega Geneses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdjHpFTwb5c

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Last night, Brad Smith came into my Twitch feed and ended up suggesting I play Bee 52 and Bio Miracle Bokkute Upa.

The Bee game was hilarious and featured the best death ragdoll in an NES game, but Bio Miracle almost deserves to be marathoned. This is what I get for not educating myself on obscure Japanese titles.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Bio Miracle Bokkute Upa actually came out on Virtual Console in 2008. It's relatively popular.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

midge posted:

Bio Miracle Bokkute Upa actually came out on Virtual Console in 2008. It's relatively popular.

It was relatively popular because it was commonly bootlegged with the name "Mario Baby". Hey, if it's a Mario Game, and I'm 9 years old, I'm going to play it!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

univbee posted:

It was relatively popular because it was commonly bootlegged with the name "Mario Baby". Hey, if it's a Mario Game, and I'm 9 years old, I'm going to play it!

Yeah. I had a friend years ago that swore he played a baby mario game on NES. No one believed him and thought he was loving nuts. Years later he finds the game on Wii and finally gets his redemption.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Cloks posted:

How much would they be? I might be in for one.

I'll ask if I can split up the order between SD2SNES and Super ED's if I can break it up. If he won't (he probably will because he is cool and I have paid him many thousands of dollars)

In the event it doesn't I will probably run some kind of popularity poll. Also SD2SNES are in stock right now but Super Everdrives aren't.

SD2SNES we were thinking wouldn't be worth it since it was dead, and also cheat code support, but ikrai_01 came back from the dead and said he was working on adding cheat support (action replay format, hell yeah) so we can hope that an update will happen.

If it's a Super Everdrive v2 (which needs to get back in stock first) it'll be $60 + shell/label/UGC with art and everything like usual.

If it's a SD2SNES then $155 + all the same stuff.

The shell/label/UGC/art/everything else usually ends up costing around $35ish. but I'll come up with an exact quote when it's money time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

I'll ask if I can split up the order between SD2SNES and Super ED's if I can break it up. If he won't (he probably will because he is cool and I have paid him many thousands of dollars)

Don't forget about DSP-1 chips if you get Super ED's. You might have to work something out because I don't think krikzz installs them directly.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

univbee posted:

Don't forget about DSP-1 chips if you get Super ED's. You might have to work something out because I don't think krikzz installs them directly.

Honestly I wouldn't care enough to put one on mine. Maybe if I could buy a bunch at once, but I don't plan on doing the DSP-1 installation myself.

That said if I can split them up I will probably go SD2SNES again for myself and put my faith in ikari one last time for that update.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Heran Bago posted:

I've always wanted to try Mother 3 so I'd PROBABLY be on board for one of these too damnit.

midge posted:

This slipped by me too but I specifically remember playing a Baby Mario game on Nesticle way back when and that looks like the same one. Learn something new every day!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

midge posted:

LOL at one of the powerups being a bottle of pills in a game where you play as a baby.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

midge posted:

2008 was kind of a dark time. Broke up with high school sweetheart. Was buried in work at Obsidian, tooling my game design debut/swansong as well as working on a game that ended up dying and stuff. :smith:

If I had known that I could have been hopping around as a baby smacking pigs with a rattle/rolling pin, it might've made 2008 better. So it goes. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know

Bing the Noize posted:

In the event it doesn't I will probably run some kind of popularity poll. Also SD2SNES are in stock right now but Super Everdrives aren't.

SD2SNES we were thinking wouldn't be worth it since it was dead, and also cheat code support, but ikrai_01 came back from the dead and said he was working on adding cheat support (action replay format, hell yeah) so we can hope that an update will happen.

If it's a Super Everdrive v2 (which needs to get back in stock first) it'll be $60 + shell/label/UGC with art and everything like usual.

If it's a SD2SNES then $155 + all the same stuff.

The shell/label/UGC/art/everything else usually ends up costing around $35ish. but I'll come up with an exact quote when it's money time.

I'm down. Decide what model (I don't know enough about the differences, or likely care) and tell me how much and where to send money.

• Locked thread