Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013

Lightning Jim posted:

So mean. I'm also running IT at the group I was an active in in college: reminds me of the time I used IP tables to redirect one person's traffic to meatspin.

It was my idea but administration was "seeking an effective means of identifying those not fully dedicating themselves to their work on paid company time."

Meatspin will be another day, though. Glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

A purchase order came in...

And was rejected. Over and over again. We're doing POS upgrades at a bunch of stores. Win 2003 servers get replaced (with 2008 servers). POS themselves are win7 POSready embedded or whatever MS calls it. But the PCs that the store actually uses, a solid 20 of them are Windows 2000 :negative: To remain PCI-compliant, the POS manager software can't be installed on Windows 2k. So we literally install Dameware on their poo poo-heap w2k machines so they can remote into the server. They use hand scanners for inventory stuff, and the Win2k machines are losing the ability to detect them. So as the scanners break, they can't be replaced. This leads to angry store and district managers who NEED THEM SO BAD PLEASE FIX ASAP.

They're spending something like $3 million on this upgrade. Yet they won't swing the new PCs. They don't have to be monsters either. They don't do that much on them.

I don't think I ever even learned how to troubleshoot a win2k machine. All the poo poo is in different places. Some of them don't even have usb ports! I'm guessing they have floppy drives. A lot of them were made by IBM...

And a bunch of the PCs that aren't Windows 2000 are XP. Those at least will work.

(Did I post about this before? It feels like I may have. I might have thought about it and/or started to type it and deleted it though)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

it turns out the main offender is a 34GB OST file... on an 80GB hard drive.

Is this some sort of early SSD she's running or is the machine THAT old that it is from the time that 80GB was standard (Comedy answer: is it repurposed from a PS3, with some previous admin's PS3 now running a much beefier drive?)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

blackswordca posted:

If you can, rename it and it should re-cache a new one to his real mailbox size. When its working properly, delete the big one.

You can also go in to the data file options and compact it, or even use scanpst on it. But at 34gb it will be much faster and safer to just recreate it.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

Is this some sort of early SSD she's running or is the machine THAT old that it is from the time that 80GB was standard (Comedy answer: is it repurposed from a PS3, with some previous admin's PS3 now running a much beefier drive?)

? I was working on old Pentium 4 Compaq shitboxes today that had 25GB hard drives in them. This is modern IT.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dox posted:

? I was working on old Pentium 4 Compaq shitboxes today that had 25GB hard drives in them. This is modern IT.

We have a bunch of those in production too. As long as they turn on, they're in use. Upgraded to Windows 7 though!

dox
Mar 4, 2006

GreenNight posted:

We have a bunch of those in production too. As long as they turn on, they're in use. Upgraded to Windows 7 though!

Can't upgrade them to Windows 7 and management at $client shrugs it off saying "Trend will protect us"- there are at least ~50 of these in use, albeit by lower schoolers but I still have to troubleshoot
them. Not turning it on? Throw it in the trash! Locked at the BIOS screen? Throw it in the trash! Windows locking up up? Image it with our overloaded, out-dated (by 2-years) Windows XP image!

There's worse things going on at this client, anyway... such as using an OEM key on a "master image" on a Kanguru machine. Don't know what that is?

This is the land of "my laptop from 2002 was just SO much better than now".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus gently caress I was throwing those HPs out when I was doing an internship in 2007.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dude, those are D530s model HP computers. We have probably 50 in production all upgraded to Windows 7 x32, so technically it's possible.

Anything happens to one, we junk it as I mentioned. Turns on? Then it's fair game.

To be perfectly honest, we only use them for green screen AS400 sessions on the plant floor.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ghana rheya posted:

It was my idea but administration was "seeking an effective means of identifying those not fully dedicating themselves to their work on paid company time."

Meatspin will be another day, though. Glorious.

Can I just say for a moment how much websense scares the poo poo out of me?

If I annoy the wrong people they could easily get the network team to pull a report on me and easily have a reason to write me up or dump me. This is true for everyone in the office too. I have an exemption so I can get software utilities which makes it worse since it won't actually stop me, but will keep watching. Since I got hip to how powerful it is I've blocked all the sites I like in the hosts file and browse on my phone only. But still :staredog:.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skooma512 posted:

If I annoy the wrong people they could easily get the network team to pull a report on me and easily have a reason to write me up or dump me. This is true for everyone in the office too. I have an exemption so I can get software utilities which makes it worse since it won't actually stop me, but will keep watching. Since I got hip to how powerful it is I've blocked all the sites I like in the hosts file and browse on my phone only. But still :staredog:.

Oh man, the best part about being completely disgruntled is not giving two shits about this kind of thing. Twitch.tv playing on my second monitor all day while I'm coding? Sure, why not. Only 480p though, 'cause I'm considerate like that.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

Oh man, the best part about being completely disgruntled is not giving two shits about this kind of thing. Twitch.tv playing on my second monitor all day while I'm coding? Sure, why not. Only 480p though, 'cause I'm considerate like that.

gently caress that noise, I'm listening to Ke$ha in full 1080p on youtube. Music sounds better in 1080p.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

This matter is urgent :supaburn:

* Reply within literally 3 minutes. User has not responded for 3 days now. *

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Che Delilas posted:

Having severe ADD doing stuff like this is pretty much a necessity for me. Although typically its more like playing podcasts or youtube stuff in the background I just listen to while doing other work.

And my work internet can't handle twitch on anything higher than "mobile" level quality.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

I had an urgent :supaburn: call before I went off to Wales (so, friday). Told the manager (poo poo manager is the only manager i can tell, good one is on holiday) and he said it'd get taken care of. I've only just got back into the office and its still in my name, nobody has looked at it, the client hasn't even inquired. Urgent most of the time means "its mildly annoying" here.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

You know as well as I do that "urgent" means "the very instant I want it to be fixed and no sooner." Linear time progression from the moment of ticket creation has no bearing on the discussion.

Antioch posted:

gently caress that noise, I'm listening to Ke$ha in full 1080p on youtube. Music sounds better in 1080p.

I mostly didn't want to clog up our lovely pipe all by myself, thereby ensuring an investigation. And I was watching moving video; a still image with audio broadcasting at 1080p is quite a bit smaller I do believe.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My boss is looking for us to move to Office 365 E3 - anyone have any yays or nays about this? We're currently running Exchange 2010 internally.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

skooma512 posted:

Get a vpn - vpnreactor works for me.

A ticket came in, the 'junior' vmware admin, was asked to restore a snapshot of the test Solarwinds server; instead she restored a snapshot of the production Logility server to the one taken before the team had done the upgrade. No one notices for an hour or two - and the database is in Oracle on an AIX box; so it stayed 'upgraded' - data integrity loss ahoy.

An hour later we had it all back to normal (hurray RMAN and TSM) - and now there are only two people that can restore snapshots.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Honestly, if someone came to me and wanted Websense logs on an employee, I would never rat them out for anything that wasn't really egregious. I wouldn't go so far as to sanitize a log, but I'd give vague affirmations that there was nothing going on if all I was seeing was PINTEREST and YOUTUBE.

Anyone who tries to use these sorts of tools as a bludgeon is not only a bad manager, but kind of a poo poo person as well.

porktree posted:

Get a vpn - vpnreactor works for me.

Or just Remote Desktop back to your home machine or a colo box.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

AlternateAccount posted:

Or just Remote Desktop back to your home machine or a colo box.

Or use DD-WRT/Tomato at home, and use a SSH Proxy Tunnel over port 443.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A CryptoLocker ticket came in. Identified the virus within 20 seconds of the ticket being reported ("Corrupted file wah!"), disconnected the mapped drives after approval for all users, identified the point of infection within a further 5 minutes and restored anything that was encrypted via shadow copies :smug:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

An announcement came in. "Internet Explorer 6 will no longer be supported. Please upgrade to Internet Explorer 8."

Yay. I think?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Great Beer posted:

An announcement came in. "Internet Explorer 6 will no longer be supported. Please upgrade to Internet Explorer 8."

Yay. I think?

Time to party like it's 2009.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Yay. I think?
I got the chance to tell a vendor to gently caress off with a quote on their "only works in IE" web app today. :feelsgood:

It wasn't the only dealbreaker, but I presented it as one of the major ones to them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I got the chance to tell a vendor to gently caress off with a quote on their "only works in IE" web app today. :feelsgood:

It wasn't the only dealbreaker, but I presented it as one of the major ones to them.

Did he look at you funny and ask: Web.... standards?

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

A bunch of tickets came in, because we deployed Office 2013 last night.

In October my company was acquired and we transitioned to Office 365 with Outlook 2010 as a client. This worked well for historical email because our original email system was Exchange 2003.

Now Outlook 2013 doesn't support Exchange 2003 so there was a huge amount of communication to users that they will have to re-create their Outlook profiles with clear instructions on how to do it.

Based on install rate and ticket submission it is clear over 50% of our staff do not read email from IT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody reads IT emails because not reading them means they get to tell someone to do things for them.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

The machine seriously is that old. Everybody gets a Dell Optiplex 745. Policy is, if you need something beefier to do your job, you can bring it in yourself- a couple of former IT guys have done so. Honestly I'm surprised we have so many 745s still kicking. I've formally recommended an upgrade before, but I'm just an entry-level support guy (I literally only make $10.50 an hour :v:) so I don't get a lot of say in the matter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I had a guy come up to me today saying he literally couldn't do his job because we gave him an i5 laptop and not an i7.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jadus posted:

Based on install rate and ticket submission it is clear over 50% of our staff do not read email from IT.

This is news?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Policy is, if you need something beefier to do your job, you can bring it in yourself
Does your company have anything to do with the place blackswordca works?
(Amusingly enough it looks like someone is selling Optiplex 745s on Ebay UK for $150 a go as "Gaming Machines")

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 19, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SUPER FAST 100MBIT NETWORK PORT, INTERNET READY! DUAL CORE 2GHZ=4GHZ PENTIUM!!!!1

So many eBay listings are only just not in the 'outright lie' territory.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caged posted:

Nobody reads IT emails because not reading them means they get to tell someone to do things for them.

It's not working so I'm not working either :saddowns:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ookiimarukochan posted:

Does your company have anything to do with the place blackswordca works?
(Amusingly enough it looks like someone is selling Optiplex 745s on Ebay UK for $150 a go as "Gaming Machines")

Not just UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-GAMING...=item35d0529aba

I just had to take a look, this is too good.

e:

quote:

Minecraft
World of Warcraft
Diablo3 (low video settings only)
World of Tanks
STEAM games
The SIMS3
Facebook games
Zynga games
and many more...

FACEBOOK GAMES? I'm sold.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I had a guy come up to me today saying he literally couldn't do his job because we gave him an i5 laptop and not an i7.

He might be quoting from the hardware requirements from the applications he uses.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Everyone reads my downtime/informational emails because they're full of jokes. I get a lot of leeway here though.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
"Trying to create an account. You are asking for email and password. Why?? I don't need another email account and I am not giving you my work password."

But.... what? Why? How?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The machine seriously is that old. Everybody gets a Dell Optiplex 745. Policy is, if you need something beefier to do your job, you can bring it in yourself- a couple of former IT guys have done so.

gently caress that and gently caress them. You're hired to do a job, why should you have to pay out of your own pocket to do it?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
A ticket came in, a folder was accidentally deleted from the Advertising department's network drive. "Whatever, I'll just resto ... wait, this is a big important folder, whats going on here?"

Turns out an advertising flunkie decided that a particular folder was no longer necessary, but didn't have permissions to delete or edit anything in it (because this folder had nothing to do with her), so she calls the helpdesk. Helpdesk flunkie, without questioning anything, tries and fails to delete the folder, too. Because he doesn't have permissions because it isn't his loving department. Helpdesk flunkie proceeds to log onto the file server with administrative creds and deletes a completely different folder, containing 375GB of data. Realizing that he hosed up, he decided that the best course of action was to do nothing - told user he'd look into the issue, left the ticket open, and figured that if he just allowed the Advertising people to discover on their own that a third of their production artwork was missing, it would never point back to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
After our recent NAS downage and subsequent complete loss of all data on the drive, our general manager is breathing down our necks to figure out a storage solution. His stipulations are thus: infinite storage, immediate setup, absolutely free. He also doesn't understand why we don't just set up "some of that cloud storage everyone uses" with our 1.5Mbps upload internet.

• Locked thread