Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
To clarify what I said about my RAMPS board, have a picture of it.

The cables got really hot and the wires burned up and corroded fast.

I couldn't actually remove those wires from the screw terminals after I took the rest of the stuff off of the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

UberVexer posted:

To clarify what I said about my RAMPS board, have a picture of it.

The cables got really hot and the wires burned up and corroded fast.

I couldn't actually remove those wires from the screw terminals after I took the rest of the stuff off of the board.

This generally happens if the wires aren't screwed down tightly enough, or come loose during operation. Depending on where the board was mounted relative to your printer, they could have rattled loose just a little bit. I've had a couple of euroterminal blocks destroy themselves this way.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Zuph posted:

This generally happens if the wires aren't screwed down tightly enough, or come loose during operation. Depending on where the board was mounted relative to your printer, they could have rattled loose just a little bit. I've had a couple of euroterminal blocks destroy themselves this way.

Yeah that's exactly what happened, but it didn't rattle loose, what happened was I had the shielding of the cable in the terminal also so when I tightened down onto it I was making solid contact with the insulator and loose contact with the conductor.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
What slicing software is everyone using currently? The new versions of Slic3r seem to not be the most popular anymore and I was thinking about moving to Cura.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

UberVexer posted:

What slicing software is everyone using currently? The new versions of Slic3r seem to not be the most popular anymore and I was thinking about moving to Cura.

I've been using the latest Cura and it works pretty well but is still glitchy at times (e.g. spiral prints were starting an eight inch off the table, zero-fill wasn't honored, etc). Nothing so drastic that I can't use the software. Slicing is even faster than KISSlicer.

That said, I still have to try different slicers to find the best print paths for some models.

I wish there was a slicer that behaved more like CAM software wherein it understands what all of the features are, for instance, it knows a hole is a hole with a precise diameter and the system would let you calibrate the settings of that hole separately from the actual model dimensions. I want to have varying fill through areas of a model, varying shell thicknesses, etc.

I think this whole STL nonsense is contributing to stagnation of printer development. My gen1 Ultimaker has hardware that is capable of 1-micron/sub-micron accuracy, it is the software that limits our capabilities.

Sorry, got carried away.
</soapbox>

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I wish there was a slicer that behaved more like CAM software wherein it understands what all of the features are, for instance, it knows a hole is a hole with a precise diameter and the system would let you calibrate the settings of that hole separately from the actual model dimensions. I want to have varying fill through areas of a model, varying shell thicknesses, etc.

I think this whole STL nonsense is contributing to stagnation of printer development.

Sorry, got carried away.
</soapbox>

I've been working on modifications for Slic3r that allows for the different infill at different heights of a model, but not like you mention. With all of the new 3d features of Slic3r I think I could probably make some modifications to allow area selection and modification.

I've also been designing a printer that ended up looking a lot like the Ultimaker and the Replicator 1 had a baby with dual/quad extruders.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Which blue tape is used on the bed? Is it just the ScotchBlue painter's tape? Supposedly my 1Up is going to be here soon, I figured I should pick up the extra supplies I'd need for it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I use the cheap blue tape you can get for like $2 a roll at Harbor Freight and it sticks almost too well.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
Don't suppose anyone's taking commissions? I'm just looking for a 3-key Bladekey w/o paying $25 for one of the aluminum ones...

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

SpiDeR posted:

Don't suppose anyone's taking commissions? I'm just looking for a 3-key Bladekey w/o paying $25 for one of the aluminum ones...

Check if your local makerspace or library has a 3D printer on hand, that would probably be your best bet if $25 is more than you're looking to pay.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

SpiDeR posted:

One of those shipped continental US for :10bux: PayPal, pick a color.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

insta posted:

One of those shipped continental US for :10bux: PayPal, pick a color.

If you are offering, I am interested in one.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone who wants a keyring thingy email at my forum name at pingring.org, we'll get it worked out.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I picked up some SainSmart brand light blue ABS http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHKGOE2/, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to print well on my Solidoodle 3. It doesn't laminate well or extrude consistently at my usual print temperature of 200°C. What are common debugging steps for adjusting to a finicky new roll of plastic?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Chainclaw posted:

I picked up some SainSmart brand light blue ABS http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHKGOE2/, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to print well on my Solidoodle 3. It doesn't laminate well or extrude consistently at my usual print temperature of 200°C. What are common debugging steps for adjusting to a finicky new roll of plastic?

I would try it at 220°C first, I think SainSmart's ABS tends to be higher temperature. AFAIK they also manufacture the 270°C "premium" ABS for Afinia/UP printers.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Can the Solidoodle hot end safely go up that high? I've seen some FAQs / wikis mention a max temperature of 210, and others mention 220. This FAQ mentions 215, which I'll try tonight http://www.solidoodle.com/faq/. I picked up that plastic because it had Solidoodle in the list of printers in the title.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

Can the Solidoodle hot end safely go up that high? I've seen some FAQs / wikis mention a max temperature of 210, and others mention 220. This FAQ mentions 215, which I'll try tonight http://www.solidoodle.com/faq/. I picked up that plastic because it had Solidoodle in the list of printers in the title.

Oh wow - sorry, my bad. I didn't realize that the Solidoodle had that limitation. Do you have a friend with a different printer who could try it out at a higher temp? Just to eliminate that as the source of the problem?

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Chainclaw posted:

Physically it should be able to get up to 230C, the limitation of 220 is set by the firmware, and I'd image you could change the firmware on the printer... unless they are the worst people.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 6, 2014

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Anyway, the product I work with is rated up to 100psi (water) so I want to know if there is plastic that can resist cracking/breaking under freezing temperatures and take that amount of pressure.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, so the answer is somewhere between "probably" and "no". If you're asking if there's a plastic that is water safe, and if exposed to freezing temperatures, will not explode the next time it is pressurized, the answer is probably, and a mechanical engineer could tell you more.

If you're asking "is there a plastic water pipe that won't burst if frozen while full of water" the answer is no. Water expands when it freezes, and through a variety of mechanisms this causes the internal pipe pressure to spike and rupture.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

This is probably the wrong (unrelated to 3d printing) thread but my guess is if anyone on SA knows about plastics its you guys.

At work I repair plastic equipment (to test water meters) that is extremely sensitive to freezing temperatures, basically the expansion of water into ice creates a (usually hairline) crack in the plastic and since it's under pressure the equipment fails. I was told the type of plastic used in the equipment has some glass content for some reason so I have the impression that what I'm dealing with is an example planned obsolescence and that if the parts were simply designed using a different type of plastic the equipment wouldn't have this issue.

Anyway, the product I work with is rated up to 100psi (water) so I want to know if there is plastic that can resist cracking/breaking under freezing temperatures and take that amount of pressure.

A industrial-revolution-era scientist who I can't remember the name of once filled a cast iron flask full of water, bolted on the lid, welded along the seam to seal it, and put it outside in the snow to freeze. Later that night the flask exploded.

So I agree with the above poster -- yes, you can find plastics that will maintain their strength when cold and will not crack under 100psi when at a sub-zero temperature. No, you cannot really design a plastic pipe that can be filled with water, sealed and then frozen without cracking. It's kind of funny that you're concerned about the plastic being able to withstand a 100psi running water pressure when the expanding ice exerts a force of tens of thousands of pounds per square inch.

Also, glass-filled nylon is one of the toughest plastics you can get, and if the part is made of that I guarantee it's not being designed to fail. Water is just a hell of a thing.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Haha, that makes so much sense. Thanks. I should have looked into how much pressure water exerts when it expands before I even asked. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 6, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Some plastics will expand under the pressure, though, and then (more or less) return to shape when the water thaws. Isn't that how pex handles freezing water?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have an original plastic piece, but it's mostly curved stuff, no flat edges that I could model ahead of time on the computer.

Is there a service I can send it to, to be scanned and get back the file to make copies/prints of?

Total size is about 3x4" x 1.75", 2-5mm thick and concave

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 8, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know about professional services, but a LOT of progress has been made in the area of 3D-scanning via video camera. Like, you put the object on a turntable, and the software takes a bunch of pictures of it as you turn it, and is able to produce a 3D model based on some crazy faux-stereoscopic interpolative voodoo-centric black mathgic. Some googling around might reveal some open source projects in that area that you could make use of. Even if they don't produce a perfect model, it might give you something you could just do a little cleanup on. I bet there's also something similar using the xbox kinect sensor.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sheeeeeit we were doing that back when Oblivion came out to take pictures of our faces and import them directly into the game. There was a little 5MB utility and everything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Geirskogul posted:

Sheeeeeit we were doing that back when Oblivion came out to take pictures of our faces and import them directly into the game. There was a little 5MB utility and everything.

That's pretty different though, wasn't that just taking a picture and mapping it onto a 3D model? This is deriving the model itself from a series of pictures.

e: Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brkHE517vpo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

That's pretty different though, wasn't that just taking a picture and mapping it onto a 3D model? This is deriving the model itself from a series of pictures.

e: Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brkHE517vpo

No, it was like the video, but less advanced. You took 3 (or 5 or 7) pictures of a face from different angles against a white background, and it gave you parameters to put into the game facial sliders so the shape matched the shape of your real head; cheekbones, brow, jaw, etc. There wasn't a way initially to even import your picture without a mod. It was uncannily similar.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, I don't remember that. In any event, I'm sure it's more advanced and robust now (like in that video, it was doing some great real-time stuff), and surely there are free solutions out there for exactly that. Definitely has to be the cheapest and most-accessible 3D scanning solution.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

You can upload a bunch of pictures to Autodesk 123D Catch and have the "cloud" turn them into a 3D model. I think it's still free.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, awesome. I wasn't even looking for such a thing and I'm excited about that, that's cool.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
If you've got a 360 Kinect and some patience you can make a scanner out of it. There was a lot of work done in that realm in 2011.

It was the hit of NY Maker Faire that year.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

UberVexer posted:

If you've got a 360 Kinect and some patience you can make a scanner out of it. There was a lot of work done in that realm in 2011.

The issue with that is that all those assholes took their software closed source once they got a sniff of money and sell it for $500+ now.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Obsurveyor posted:

The issue with that is that all those assholes took their software closed source once they got a sniff of money and sell it for $500+ now.

There are less expensive packages for 3D scanning with the Kinect. ReconstructMe and Skanect are both cheaper than that, for example.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Obsurveyor posted:

I didn't know that everyone took their stuff closed source in that realm.

techknight posted:

There are less expensive packages for 3D scanning with the Kinect. ReconstructMe and Skanect are both cheaper than that, for example.

There used to be free packages that did this.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Hadlock posted:

I have an original plastic piece, but it's mostly curved stuff, no flat edges that I could model ahead of time on the computer.

Is there a service I can send it to, to be scanned and get back the file to make copies/prints of?

Total size is about 3x4" x 1.75", 2-5mm thick and concave

I don't think you're going to be able to replicate this using a cell phone camera or a Kinect. I think your best bet is to take a bunch of reference pictures, a ton of measurements, and recreate it in a 3D program from that.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

UberVexer posted:

There used to be free packages that did this.

Hmm.. The only free and open source one I know of was CocoaKinect, and that one couldn't do an object all the way around (like a static scene single surface kind of thing).. If you can name some that worked like the commercial stuff does I'd love to dig up the old versions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just need one thing scanned once. Can I send it to someone, and they will send me the raw file(s) for me to adjust manually?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The multi photo 3d scanning is called photogrammetry and it has been around since the mid 19th century. It's how they did bullet time for The Matrix. The smithsonian covered it well and had a nice 80 camera setup at their x3d conference a couple of months ago. I highly recommend anyone interested in 3d tech to check out the conference videos on YouTube.

http://3d.si.edu/conference/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
I have now changed my Mendel from gen6 electronics to RAMPS 1.4. The experience was relatively painless until now, I have run into a problem with my opto endstops.
The little indicator LED on the optoboards seems to indicate they are functioning properly, always on then turning off when triggered.
But RAMPS doesn't seem to be getting this signal, typing M119 into pronterface I will get all endstops reporting as open, even when the optos have been triggered. Inverting how the optos work in configuration.h will then change the endstop status to all being triggered.

I'm pretty confident I have wired them up properly, v+, G and S all seem to going to the correct pins, so I'm leaning towards it being a firmware problem. But after a few hours of playing around I'm all out of ideas of what to do.