Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

I haven't watched True Detective at all yet (they're all on my DVR), but I was speaking more to TVIV generally.

The True Detective thread is probably one of the best ones on the forum because there's almost zero live-posting. Any other show and half the thread would be pages of :tviv: while the show was airing and the other half would be people arguing about the plot points they missed because they were too busy live-posting to actually pay attention to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We saved up True Detective and have watched 4 over the past few nights, and it has really gotten under our skin. It's like Hannibal meets Justified with 1/4 of the humor. The imagery of the swamps and the industrial areas and that shot of the barge floating past the tent revival scene in the 3rd episode - so haunting!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm not complaining-- at least not about True Detective in particular-- I just have a hard time getting into a series. Once I get past the first 3-4 episodes, I'm usually along for the ride. I saw the first episode of T.D. and I'm not entirely sold, yet...

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

escape artist posted:

I'm not complaining-- at least not about True Detective in particular-- I just have a hard time getting into a series. Once I get past the first 3-4 episodes, I'm usually along for the ride. I saw the first episode of T.D. and I'm not entirely sold, yet...

Honestly, I was a bit bored in first episode. But there's something about the world that sucked me in, and the ending of the second episode hooked me. Such great imagery!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The True Detective thread is probably one of the best ones on the forum because there's almost zero live-posting. Any other show and half the thread would be pages of :tviv: while the show was airing and the other half would be people arguing about the plot points they missed because they were too busy live-posting to actually pay attention to the show.

Live-posting is pretty much a thing of the past compared to years ago. Heroes, for example, would get its own thread per episode and would usually get ~500->1000 posts in that hour. There isn't much to compare it to now (except GoT/Breaking Bad threads).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Live-posting is pretty much a thing of the past compared to years ago. Heroes, for example, would get its own thread per episode and would usually get ~500->1000 posts in that hour. There isn't much to compare it to now (except GoT/Breaking Bad threads).

Erm...no.

Grading True Detective, and really most heavily serialized dramas, on an episode-by-episode basis is kind of silly.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
New thread for The Americans is up, since we're a week out from the premiere: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610010

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Party Plane Jones posted:

It still happens even if not that many people doing it at once, and the problem isn't actually the live posting. I don't care if there's 200 new posts in a thread that are just reactions. I can just skip to the time the episode ended and ignore all that. The problem is those people who were busy live posting now have no idea what happened on the show because they weren't paying attention. And they probably spent part of the last hour posting their half seen/ill conceived interpretation of what happened and having it cemented in their brains and spread to others. Then you show up an hour later and read some crazy idea or completely wrong claim about the episode, but if you try and correct it they just ignore you and keep on the momentum of their fervor.

Just check out the Walking Dead thread any Sunday night at 11 pm to see this in action. But be warned you'd also have to deal with a dozen other issues that thread has, foremost among them that a lot of the people are actually hate watching.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Just check out the Walking Dead thread

Caution don't actually do this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

True. I'm a bad person for typing that. I'm sorry.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

zoux posted:

Erm...no.

Grading True Detective, and really most heavily serialized dramas, on an episode-by-episode basis is kind of silly.

Erm... he didn't say anything about grading, just that less people live post these days. Which is good because live posting is silly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was erm noing the part about live posting being dead.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Wandle Cax posted:

Erm... he didn't say anything about grading, just that less people live post these days. Which is good because live posting is silly.

The silliest kind is the one Sophia does: liveposting during Game of Thrones and pretending she is a new viewer who is really surprised by the plot twists, even though she has already read all the books. It's kind of fascinating but also really odd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are a bunch of people who do that, I guess they like to larp as TV only people?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wandle Cax posted:

Let's be honest, this is probably more due to the proliferation of streaming and :filez: compared to actual live viewers than anything else.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, I just DVR everything and then watch it later so I can skip the commercials.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Joramun posted:

The silliest kind is the one Sophia does: liveposting during Game of Thrones and pretending she is a new viewer who is really surprised by the plot twists, even though she has already read all the books. It's kind of fascinating but also really odd.

Hey now! There was at least one beloved character death us literate viewers didn't see coming.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Irish Joe posted:

Hey now! There was at least one beloved character death us literate viewers didn't see coming.

Was there?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Foetus Ned, even though it was clear he was doomed the moment his mother gave him that name.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd say but then we'd have a multi page argument about spoiler etiquette and I'd get mad that people deeply, deeply care that much.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

zoux posted:

I'd say but then we'd have a multi page argument about spoiler etiquette and I'd get mad that people deeply, deeply care that much.

And besides, all the characters are already dead anyway since Westeros is actually Purgatory.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, it's complicated. Just the last book is purgatory the rest of it is on this weird island with monsters and serialized story telling and SECRET CLUES THAT ONLY THE WISEST OF TVIV POSTERS COULD NOTICE.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Who didn't love Ros? :downs:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Ros.

Although we did know cause her death was leaked the day before it aired. We had time to grieve in advance while showwatchers were left to wonder "who? oh the prostitute, I didnt know she had a name"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Who didn't love Ros? :downs:

He said a character.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

He said a character.

Boobs is a character!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

To think of all that wealth of sexposition knowledge that died along with Boobs. Such a tragic loss to both the world and science.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know, there is no TV show cast less suited to a musical episode than the cast of That 70's Show, which makes it all the more charming when they try.

When the best singer out of everyone is Topher Grace, something is up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Musical episodes of TV shows are terrible with few exceptions and I don't know why people get so jazzed for them.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

Musical episodes of TV shows are terrible with few exceptions and I don't know why people get so jazzed for them.

I didn't even know that there's been that many of them. I've only seen the Buffy one which is great of course but probably only because Buffy is a great show. A musical episode of a lesser show would probably not work as well.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

Y'know, there is no TV show cast less suited to a musical episode than the cast of That 70's Show, which makes it all the more charming when they try.

When the best singer out of everyone is Topher Grace, something is up.

I'm pretty happy I don't remember this ever happening

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The South Park movie was basically a long musical episode, and it is also my favorite musical ever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even Oz had a musical episode

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Xena musical episode I think was the first time I saw a musical episode of a TV show, and I did rather like it was it was something that felt incredibly fresh and new at the time and I still find myself humming some of the songs in my head after nearly 15+ years.

Also, Lexx had a musical episode in their second season that I also liked.

Of course, in both those episodes, they maybe didn't feel so throwaway as the events of the musical episodes both actually tied into the greater overall storyline of each series, too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

Even Oz had a musical episode

Yeah but we got this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVAOqJsnx-I

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why did people hate the ending of Battlestar Galactica? I never understood it and would like to hear someone's explanation based on actual reactions. The first time around I liked it, but on my rewatch with the ending in mind I realized it couldn't have been telegraphed more and the show really couldn't have ended any other way. The mysteries are literally and explicitly stated and meanings implied 1/3 of the way through. It was an incredibly religious series all along so I can't imagine that's it. What's the deal?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was the robots dancing at the end.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Why did people hate the ending of Battlestar Galactica? I never understood it and would like to hear someone's explanation based on actual reactions. The first time around I liked it, but on my rewatch with the ending in mind I realized it couldn't have been telegraphed more and the show really couldn't have ended any other way. The mysteries are literally and explicitly stated and meanings implied 1/3 of the way through. It was an incredibly religious series all along so I can't imagine that's it. What's the deal?

Part of it was the religious angle though as you say it was there all along. The Starbuck thing, people didn't like that. And because, oh how unrealistic to abandon all technology like that and live off the land that makes no sense, they would all die etc. Personally I'm with you, I think the ending worked very well and tied everything up nicely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I too loved the ending and felt it was perfect for the series. One of my favorite finales ever in fact. I just recently finished a rewatch of the entire series for the first time since it ended and it was great. It sucks that talking about it always opens a can of worms though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Deadpool posted:

I too loved the ending and felt it was perfect for the series. One of my favorite finales ever in fact. I just recently finished a rewatch of the entire series for the first time since it ended and it was great. It sucks that talking about it always opens a can of worms though.

I agree. On rewatch everything just fit. Even the Kara stuff.

• Locked thread