Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

zoux posted:

But is it worth commenting on constantly and every page forever?

First time in TVIV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

But is it worth commenting on constantly and every page forever?

Ollie's handsome and nice and people talk about that. Black Canary dances or something and does stunts and people talk about that. Laurel looks like a smooth-skinned Dorito and people talk about that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm more concerned that she's now on a 24 episode unbroken "cry-every-episode" streak.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

I'm more concerned that she's now on a 24 episode unbroken "cry-every-episode" streak.

SHE'S FINE OK STOP ASKING GOD

On a "serious" note, I'm way down for her to just be drunk and super mean all the time, until whatever happens to turn her into black canary goes down. I think that'd be a way more interesting and fun use of her character than anything she's had to do/go through in the last season and a half.

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 18, 2014

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja

zoux posted:

Clearly playing to her strengths.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VDay posted:

On a "serious" note, I'm way down for her to just be drunk and super mean all the time, until whatever happens to turn her into black canary goes down. I think that'd be a way more interesting and fun use of her character than anything she's had to do/go through in the last season and a half.

They should just have a scene every episode where people are doing stuff and Laurel wanders in and yells at them then breaks down :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ab Fab Laurel owns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm actually quite excited for Laurel glaring at people, getting drunk, possibly taking pills and watching TV next episode, if the promotional stills are accurate.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zoux posted:

Ab Fab Laurel owns.

I think you're confusing Laurel with Sara. :swoon:

Yes, I know what Ab Fab is. But if there's a Salmon Ladder pun, I will do it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
When Laurel drunkrily bitch-snapped at her sister for coming back from the dead I immediately hoped that's where they'd take her character from here on. Just a bitchy bitch of a functionally drunk character. :allears:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I wasn't on board with Laurel's character at all at the start of the season but I've done a complete turn-around on her. After seeing where her story was going, I'm actually really enjoying her now. The fact that she is descending into absolute rock bottom slowly and painfully over the course of the season is pretty fantastic. It makes the earlier parts of the season much better in retrospect because you can see how her decision making gets worse and worse every single episode.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lawlicaust posted:

I wasn't on board with Laurel's character at all at the start of the season but I've done a complete turn-around on her. After seeing where her story was going, I'm actually really enjoying her now. The fact that she is descending into absolute rock bottom slowly and painfully over the course of the season is pretty fantastic. It makes the earlier parts of the season much better in retrospect because you can see how her decision making gets worse and worse every single episode.

It was still poor writing, but at least they're salvaging it now. I agree with you that I can get mroe on board with her character now that it's the way it is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To be honest I might be more frustrated with Laurel if I didn't have considerable amount of faith in this show to pull off really satisfying payoffs to long-running plots. Which I do!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VDay posted:

New thread title right there.

Dance Marine
Feb 17, 2014

I want to enjoy laurel. However her abysmal acting and Dorito shaped head makes me wish for her death, in an emotional yet plot advancing season finale.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

New thread title right there.

Nope. Arrow Season 2: Sponsored By Doritos.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Amell just posted A Day in the Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOK__2lNO5I&feature=youtu.be

"So it's real. Stop asking!"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Man_at_desk posted:

I want to enjoy laurel. However her abysmal acting and Dorito shaped head makes me wish for her death, in an emotional yet plot advancing season finale.

If you look at it objectively, she's a much better actress than Caity Lotz.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

No Butt Stuff posted:

Amell just posted A Day in the Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOK__2lNO5I&feature=youtu.be

"So it's real. Stop asking!"

Seriously the most likeable person. Really throws Clark Gregg's interview hubris into stark relief.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crunk Abortion posted:

Seriously the most likeable person. Really throws Clark Gregg's interview hubris into stark relief.

That's what I've been saying since that interview dropped. Ollie is awesome, Coulson is a tool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Caity Lotz has a butt chin. Weird chins for everyone!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

That's what I've been saying since that interview dropped. Ollie is awesome, Coulson is a tool.

I'd not heard this whole Clark drama, what is this about?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Drifter posted:

I'd not heard this whole Clark drama, what is this about?

Clark thinks that if you have any problems with SHIELD, you're a loser basically.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

imperialparadox posted:

Clark thinks that if you have any problems with SHIELD, you're a loser basically.

Is there a link to a specific statement? The internet gets pretty hyperbolic over nothing sometimes.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I'm honestly shocked Stephen's day is so light. Kudos to the Arrow crew if leaving home ~6:30 AM and wrapping ~9:00 PM is a typical full day of shooting with Stephen in every scene.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

imperialparadox posted:

Oh man, I hope that's just you over exaggerating otherwise I'll have lost all respect for the one reason I persevered through Agents of Shield.
Critiquing people that have legit issues with your series is just so petty.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/57462732-223/episodes-sltrib-fans-gregg.html.csp

quote:

If you’ve given up on "Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," Clark Gregg has pretty much given up on you. Even if you’re a self-identified geek.

"Those aren’t geeks. Those are losers," the man who plays Agent Coulson said on the set of his show, somewhere in Los Angeles. (The producers want to keep exactly where kind of quiet, perhaps to keep the fanboys and fangirls away.)

Gregg is himself a self-identified geek. And he’s passionate about the party line at "S.H.I.E.L.D." — be patient.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Drifter posted:

Is there a link to a specific statement? The internet gets pretty hyperbolic over nothing sometimes.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/57462732-223/episodes-sltrib-fans-gregg.html.csp

He clarifies it a bit, but the general gist is that he's really frustrated with people who criticize the show and thinks that they're just not being patient. Which is kind of a ridiculous thing to say considering it's had more than a dozen episodes and is only now looking like there might be something interesting on the horizon.

e: Beaten, but here's the quote at the very end:

quote:

"I guess I don’t mean to say that people who have been frustrated by that discovery period are necessarily losers," he said. "I just think they should be, perhaps, a little more patient."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That's not that bad. Guy's obviously into his job. I can see Amell saying something similar, only with more profanity. The fact that SHIELD has some legit issues isn't Gregg's fault, and I can't blame him for defending the company that made him famous.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Phylodox posted:

That's not that bad. Guy's obviously into his job. I can see Amell saying something similar, only with more profanity. The fact that SHIELD has some legit issues isn't Gregg's fault, and I can't blame him for defending the company that made him famous.

Yeah, that isn't anywhere near as bad as people were making it sound. It is easy to get a bit too defensive over something like this. Amell is a pretty blunt guy, and in the alternate universe where his show sucked, I can see him saying something similar.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Nerds over-exaggerate something someone said, news at 11.

Nerds really are losers though, I'm with Gregg on this one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nutranurse posted:

Nerds over-exaggerate something someone said, news at 11.

Nerds really are losers though, I'm with Gregg on this one.

I'm sticking with the "he's kind of a dick." on this. And the issue with the show isn't the lack of Marvel characters. The issue is it's a horrible loving show with a terrible cast.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jesus, I'm not offended or anything but that's a lovely excuse and a lovely expectation to hold people to. I would definitely agree with you guys saying he's a bit of a dick.

I'm glad I don't give a gently caress about that show.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Well, he is getting his rear end kicked by what is normally considered a second rate super hero from DC, who usually only has Batman do well, that's done on the cheap in BC. They are a year late and dollars short. And the great Whedon hasn't pulled it off. Oh well. Maybe they can recover.

Now, that having been said, I do watch SHIELD, since the WIFU watches it, and most of the time I don't find it horrible. I mean, come on, it's not like it's Dexter or SoA.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SpannerX posted:

Well, he is getting his rear end kicked by what is normally considered a second rate super hero from DC, who usually only has Batman do well, that's done on the cheap in BC. They are a year late and dollars short. And the great Whedon hasn't pulled it off. Oh well. Maybe they can recover.

I'm going out on a limb and making the assumption that Agents of Shield is kicking Arrow's rear end in ratings

It's not a critically acclaimed show. But Agents of Shield still pulls in more than anything the CW could hope to pull.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dexo posted:

I'm going out on a limb and making the assumption that Agents of Shield is kicking Arrow's rear end in ratings

It's not a critically acclaimed show. But Agents of Shield still pulls in more than anything the CW could hope to pull.

The CW and the Arrow creators give no fucks about beating AoS in the ratings. Amell cares about having the best job ever and having close to a million fans on his personal Facebook page.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, that isn't anywhere near as bad as people were making it sound. It is easy to get a bit too defensive over something like this. Amell is a pretty blunt guy, and in the alternate universe where his show sucked, I can see him saying something similar.

I dunno, I would be really disappointed in the cast if any of them lashed out at the fans for having (valid) criticisms of the show. I mean, can you really see Amell coming out and saying that in response to, for example, criticism of the huntress arc?

Put it this way: at worst, Gregg comes off as kind of petty and childish and lashes out at some fans by calling them losers before backing off a bit. At best, it's still a really dumb thing to say from a PR perspective and is sure to drive away a bunch of those fans that he called impatient losers. The correct way to answer that question and deal with that frustration is to say something along the lines of "I understand people's frustration but I can assure them that it will all be worth it." Not "These losers are just impatient. I mean they're not losers but you know..."

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm always pleased when celebrities I like tend to be humble and very sincere. It makes it easy to respect and admire them. However I also find it interesting how celebrities are held to a double standard when it comes to their actions. ( The same with for example, game developers who respond to their fans.)

I'm not saying celebrity should get to say whatever they want and be dicks in public, but I consider myself a good person and yet when people say stuff to me I answer honestly and occasionally will be known to say things like "gently caress em " or "they can get over it."

Again I'm not defending bad behavior or arrogance from celebrities, but I think people tend to overreact when people they admire say one negative thing even if it just means they're being human.

He probably shouldn't have gone on record with that statement. But it also probably doesn't need to be some kind of scandal either.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

VDay posted:

I dunno, I would be really disappointed in the cast if any of them lashed out at the fans for having (valid) criticisms of the show. I mean, can you really see Amell coming out and saying that in response to, for example, criticism of the huntress arc?

Put it this way: at worst, Gregg comes off as kind of petty and childish and lashes out at some fans by calling them losers before backing off a bit. At best, it's still a really dumb thing to say from a PR perspective and is sure to drive away a bunch of those fans that he called impatient losers. The correct way to answer that question and deal with that frustration is to say something along the lines of "I understand people's frustration but I can assure them that it will all be worth it." Not "These losers are just impatient. I mean they're not losers but you know..."

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying what he said was said with any grace at all. It definitely wasn't the correct move from a PR perspective. I'm just saying people are getting out the noose for what seems to me to be pretty tame in terms of what was said.

Also, we aren't seeing the question that led to that answer. I looked at the article and it is just click bait. For all we know, the question that prompted that response was along the lines of "what do you say to all the geeks who say your show is the worst poo poo that ever appeared on TV and every actor in it is garbage?" And yes, I think if Amell was literally asked something like that, he would respond similarly. But no, something more tame like Huntress or comments about Laurel he is really good about redirecting. That is easier to do when people mostly like what you are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
"Well, if Clark says that we are losers, he's probably right guys. The show will get better, we just have to have faith. In fact, it probably already is better, but we are too much of a loser to realize it yet!" :v:

Seriously, I watch the show. It's usually barely passable, though the last episode wasn't that bad. But holy hell guys, having your show's star call people with valid criticisms losers is horrible PR, maybe they should make sure Clark doesn't speak about the fanbase in such a way in the future. This should be pretty basic public-relations kind of stuff.

• Locked thread