Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
That's an understatement. Couldn't he have just taken a loving train from Rome to Geneva and saved everyone (including himself) an enormous amount of grief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

grover posted:

That's an understatement. Couldn't he have just taken a loving train from Rome to Geneva and saved everyone (including himself) an enormous amount of grief?

I believe he picked Switzerland because we probably don't have a treaty to hand over refugees/criminals to the Etheopian government.

"It was not immediately clear why the co-pilot, whose name wasn't released, wanted asylum.", says the news article. If you know anything about the situation in Etheopia, you'll know that noone without special priviledges wants to live under such circumstances

The news article talks of 20 years of prison time and as far as I know, Switzerland will not send him back until he has served this time. For this to make sense you need to know, that swiss prison is a luxury compared to the normal situation in a lot of places. You have rights and you can practice a job while serving your time.

Running away in any other country would have probably gotten him sent back to Ethiopia right away and in to a dark place far away from any right or wrong.

tl;dr: He wanted asylum in Switzerland and swiss prison<being a normal joe in Ethiopia... The sad truths.

Source: I'm swiss

Some redditor. Man, I hate the layout of that site.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
And, let's be realistic here, nobody wants to go through Rome customs

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What? I did it a couple of months ago and I'm doing it again in a week or so. Was easy enough for me.. perhaps you're a terrorist.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You're off script, the followup line is supposed to be "And what's the deal with airline food? Am I right?"

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
So apparently, the Swiss government didn't scramble fighters during the hijacking because the incident took place outside of business hours.

No, really.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/02/18/us-airways-plane-hits-truck-at-logan-airport/

oops

EDIT: Also, documentary on the intertwining of Formula One car and aircraft design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ua47NufNGw

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 19, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

ctishman posted:

So apparently, the Swiss government didn't scramble fighters during the hijacking because the incident took place outside of business hours.

No, really.

Well it is a country of bankers.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

ctishman posted:

No, really.

Wow. If I were swiss I'd be rather pissed off that us Frenchies had to come protect them. Imagine if it was a suicide flight that decided to crash in the middle of a city/government building? Those office hours are laughable. Want to invade Switzerland? Just do it on the weekend when they're all away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Barnsy posted:

Wow. If I were swiss I'd be rather pissed off that us Frenchies had to come protect them. Imagine if it was a suicide flight that decided to crash in the middle of a city/government building? Those office hours are laughable. Want to invade Switzerland? Just do it on the weekend when they're all away.

It said in the article that 53% of the population doesn't want the air force to expand operations, sounds like they've already made their decision.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Sorry but if my plane is hijacked I may do a little more than frantically try to send texts.

it sounds kind of like whoever it was depressurized it, maybe to keep everyone by their masks? but then it also sounds like he did a rapid descent too. I don't know. I'm armchair quarterbacking so ignore me.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Barnsy posted:

Italy can reunite the Italian speaking peoples!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bob A Feet posted:

Sorry but if my plane is hijacked I may do a little more than frantically try to send texts.

Such as?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Post in this thread.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Straight up Jack Bauer those fucks.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Masturbate ala Clerks. Wouldn't you?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

get on twitter, come on dude

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

Italy can reunite the Italian speaking peoples!

Gonna need time to fabricate a claim on Switzerland; can't afford the stability loss if we declare without a CB.

(oh god I've played way too much Europa Universalis 4)

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Bob A Feet posted:

it sounds kind of like whoever it was depressurized it, maybe to keep everyone by their masks? but then it also sounds like he did a rapid descent too. I don't know. I'm armchair quarterbacking so ignore me.

Although I am definitely in the "gently caress you, if you're crashing this plane you're killing me first" mentality, I don't think you would have an opportunity.

At a cabin altitude of 30,000 feet you have about 90 seconds of useful consciousness. Not a lot of time to force your way into the cockpit and beat on a homeboy.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

A Melted Tarp posted:

Although I am definitely in the "gently caress you, if you're crashing this plane you're killing me first" mentality, I don't think you would have an opportunity.

At a cabin altitude of 30,000 feet you have about 90 seconds of useful consciousness. Not a lot of time to force your way into the cockpit and beat on a homeboy.

Don't the oxygen masks only work for about 12 minutes?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Gibfender posted:

Don't the oxygen masks only work for about 12 minutes?

Good point. Wait until below 10,000 MSL to leave your seat and go primal on your hijacker.

I believe the pilots have the ability to drop masks manually, not just via pressure trigger. So perhaps he was giving the impression that the cabin was depressurized to keep everyone compliant.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you can't hold your breath long enough to beat the poo poo out of a terrorist, you obviously don't love freedom enough to deserve to live.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Melted Tarp posted:

I believe the pilots have the ability to drop masks manually, not just via pressure trigger. So perhaps he was giving the impression that the cabin was depressurized to keep everyone compliant.
I'm pretty sure the first hand account mentioned getting lightheaded until he put his mask on.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Straight up Jack Bauer those fucks.

How does Jack Bauer chew his way through a cabin bulkhead?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Blistex posted:

One bite at a time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

The only reason the captain couldn't get through the door is because he was some starving Ethernopian. I'm a big strong American and I'd roundhouse kick that door down on the first try. :smug: :911:

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Crosspost from the mil picture & youtube thread.

Pretty cool shots of planes coming in to Nellis from Red Flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4X-B8WImfQ

The Aviationist posted:

A Royal Australian Air Force E-7A Airborne Early Warning and Control aircraft assigned to RAAF Williamtown.

A Royal Air Force Typhoon assigned to RAF Leuchars, UK, with the pilot using the rudder to compensate the crosswind on final.

Two U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptors assigned to the 27th Fighter Squadron, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va., passing overhead before performing a tactical break.

A KC-135 assigned to the 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash.

A U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor assigned to the 27th Fighter Squadron Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.

A U.S. Navy EA-18G Growler; a U.S. Air Force B-2 Spirit assigned to the 13th Bomb Squadron at Whiteman AFB, Mo..

An E-3 Sentry airborne warning and control system aircraft assigned to the 964th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla..

A U.S. Marine Corps EA-6B Prowler assigned to Marine Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron 4, Marine Corps Station Cherry Point, N.C..

An EC-130 from the 43rd Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz..

A Royal Air Force E-3 Sentry assigned to RAF Waddington, UK.

http://theaviationist.com/2014/02/19/video-recoveries-rf-14-1/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Way cool. Looked pretty windy. That C130 had quite the bounce.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

onezero posted:

Crosspost from the mil picture & youtube thread.

Pretty cool shots of planes coming in to Nellis from Red Flag.

Why hasn't the USAF re-engined all the E-3's? Seems like they would be a more valuable asset than KC-135's, and all of the 135's I've seen, all the way down to the ANG units, have been re-engined to something more like that Royal AF E-3 at the end of the video.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

Why hasn't the USAF re-engined all the E-3's? Seems like they would be a more valuable asset than KC-135's, and all of the 135's I've seen, all the way down to the ANG units, have been re-engined to something more like that Royal AF E-3 at the end of the video.

They're talking about it at least. The F-35's cost overruns have to come from somewhere!

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

fknlo posted:

The only reason the captain couldn't get through the door is because he was some starving Ethernopian. I'm a big strong American and I'd roundhouse kick that door down on the first try. :smug: :911:

I know you're kidding, but have you ever seen cockpit doors and their locking mechanisms? Fairly heavy duty; a 737 door was hard to carry with two people. I would be unsurprised to find it's easier to go through the bulkhead either side than the door.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Locator posted:

Because they have thousands of TF-33 cores available. It's straight up not going to happen, ever. Not all the 135s were reengined, the rest were just retired...but all those engines are still around.

Also, E-3s aren't squadron-assigned like fighters. It's one big pool that 4 AD and 1 reserve squadron fly, with the exceptions of jets deployed or temporarily assigned to PACAF.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Brovine posted:

I know you're kidding, but have you ever seen cockpit doors and their locking mechanisms? Fairly heavy duty; a 737 door was hard to carry with two people. I would be unsurprised to find it's easier to go through the bulkhead either side than the door.

It'd be easier just to kick in the wall of Lav A and come through the coat closet, probably.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

FullMetalJacket posted:

This thread is now about finding faces in airplanes
once you see it...

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Godholio posted:

Because they have thousands of TF-33 cores available. It's straight up not going to happen, ever. Not all the 135s were reengined, the rest were just retired...but all those engines are still around.

Also, E-3s aren't squadron-assigned like fighters. It's one big pool that 4 AD and 1 reserve squadron fly, with the exceptions of jets deployed or temporarily assigned to PACAF.

Somewhat related:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Boeing-E-3D-Sentry/2396982/L/&sid=9c7785122d669b80050bba4bcdcf1d10

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Caution wake turbulence.

Man, what a loving fantastic series of photos... Thanks for ruining(improving) the rest of my evening

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ctishman posted:

No, really.

I may be thinking of something else, but wasn't there discussion a few dozen pages or so ago about how the Swiss have a bunch of aging F/A-18 airframes that are so close to retirement that their air force can only fly them once every other week or so? Could this have anything to do with "sorry, can't scramble because it's not business hours?"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You would think the Swiss would be all over the F-35, given their longstanding obsession with multirole.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Geoj posted:

I may be thinking of something else, but wasn't there discussion a few dozen pages or so ago about how the Swiss have a bunch of aging F/A-18 airframes that are so close to retirement that their air force can only fly them once every other week or so? Could this have anything to do with "sorry, can't scramble because it's not business hours?"

they use the D models and "limited personnel" restrict flight operations.

"Dec 27/10: Finland/ Switzerland. A $66.2 million firm-fixed-price delivery order under the basic ordering agreement for weapon replaceable assemblies and other complex parts used in retrofitting F/A-18C/D aircraft for the governments of Finland (62/ $44.6M/ 67%), and Switzerland (33/ $21.6M/ 33%).

Work will be performed in Cedar Rapids, IA (44.8%); St. Louis, MO (26.8%); Fort Worth, TX (14.9%); Oakland, NJ (6.4%); Grand Rapids, MI (3.3%); Butler, NJ (1.3%); Sylmar, CA (1%); Killdeer, ND (0.5%); Mesa, AZ (0.4%); El Segundo, CA (0.3%); Wallingford, CT (0.2%); and Horsham, PA (0.1%), and is expected to be complete in April 2015. US Naval Air Systems Command in Patuxent River, MD manages the contract on behalf of these Foreign Military Sale clients (N00019-11-G-0001)."

source: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f18-hornets-keeping-em-flying-02816/

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

You would think the Swiss would be all over the F-35, given their longstanding obsession with multirole.

They also have a longstanding obsession with hoarding money, soooo...