Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How hard did you laugh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

larchesdanrew posted:

After our recent NAS downage and subsequent complete loss of all data on the drive, our general manager is breathing down our necks to figure out a storage solution. His stipulations are thus: infinite storage, immediate setup, absolutely free. He also doesn't understand why we don't just set up "some of that cloud storage everyone uses" with our 1.5Mbps upload internet.

Submit a project request: create throw away gmail addresses and use them to sign up for free dropbox accounts.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Formulate a system involving hundreds of free promotional USB flash drives stored in little labelled drawers attached to a wall.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I work for a television studio. This will be for both NAS purposes and archiving terabytes upon terabytes of footage. The current process involves buying a 4TB Buffalo NAS and stashing them back in my shop. They want to keep doing this until I'm sitting on a mountain of NAS units, apparently.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

I work for a television studio. This will be for both NAS purposes and archiving terabytes upon terabytes of footage. The current process involves buying a 4TB Buffalo NAS and stashing them back in my shop. They want to keep doing this until I'm sitting on a mountain of NAS units, apparently.

NAS units all the way down...

Alternately, you should mount all of those NAS units in a single namespace in a massive RAID-0 volume. For performance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everything on YouTube

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Agrikk posted:

NAS units all the way down...

Alternately, you should mount all of those NAS units in a single namespace in a massive RAID-0 volume. For performance.

We did have backups, we had RAID.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

After our recent NAS downage and subsequent complete loss of all data on the drive, our general manager is breathing down our necks to figure out a storage solution. His stipulations are thus: infinite storage, immediate setup, absolutely free. He also doesn't understand why we don't just set up "some of that cloud storage everyone uses" with our 1.5Mbps upload internet.
None of those requirements have anything to do with speed or security so why haven't you gone ahead and done it already :colbert:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Caged posted:

Formulate a system involving hundreds of free promotional USB flash drives stored in little labelled drawers attached to a wall.

What, like this?

it's raid5 too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

blackswordca posted:

Submit a project request: create throw away gmail addresses and use them to sign up for free dropbox accounts.

Sadly, unless you log in and access those referral accounts, the master account will be shrunk.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

The machine seriously is that old. Everybody gets a Dell Optiplex 745. Policy is, if you need something beefier to do your job, you can bring it in yourself- a couple of former IT guys have done so. Honestly I'm surprised we have so many 745s still kicking. I've formally recommended an upgrade before, but I'm just an entry-level support guy (I literally only make $10.50 an hour :v:) so I don't get a lot of say in the matter.

We're the MSP for a government agency. We technically "own" all the workstations, and each department that we support leases the equipment from us for each employee that gets a workstations. We're currently issuing Optiplex 755/760s and Inspiron 4300/6400s with 4GB of RAM and 80GB HDDs. Half our workload is dealing with full HDDs.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 19, 2014

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

gently caress that and gently caress them. You're hired to do a job, why should you have to pay out of your own pocket to do it?
To be fair, my organization isn't quite like blackswordca's, where the employer straight up doesn't give you a computer. We just give you a barely adequate 8-years-old one.

Because we're a small site in a small business, a lot of the way I get to handle IT is pretty ridiculous. Ask me about using desktops as our file server AND domain controller... and about how I'm not supposed to image employee computers. Gotta install from scratch every time!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Sounds like our archival storage for old virtual machines.. Copy them to a USB drive and put them in the non-fireproof safe inside the data center. Literally next to the vmware SAN. Of course copying a 100+GB vm image to USB hard drives takes a whole loving day, and we're barely using a third of the SAN's capacity anyway.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Sounds like our archival storage for old virtual machines.. Copy them to a USB drive and put them in the non-fireproof safe inside the data center. Literally next to the vmware SAN. Of course copying a 100+GB vm image to USB hard drives takes a whole loving day, and we're barely using a third of the SAN's capacity anyway.

I take it they aren't usb 3.0? :v:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

afflictionwisp posted:

A ticket came in, a folder was accidentally deleted from the Advertising department's network drive. "Whatever, I'll just resto ... wait, this is a big important folder, whats going on here?"

Turns out an advertising flunkie decided that a particular folder was no longer necessary, but didn't have permissions to delete or edit anything in it (because this folder had nothing to do with her), so she calls the helpdesk. Helpdesk flunkie, without questioning anything, tries and fails to delete the folder, too. Because he doesn't have permissions because it isn't his loving department. Helpdesk flunkie proceeds to log onto the file server with administrative creds and deletes a completely different folder, containing 375GB of data. Realizing that he hosed up, he decided that the best course of action was to do nothing - told user he'd look into the issue, left the ticket open, and figured that if he just allowed the Advertising people to discover on their own that a third of their production artwork was missing, it would never point back to him.
Holy poo poo. That's a pretty huge cockup but even still if he had just owned up to it :cripes: I guess that's why the 'what's your biggest IT fuckup and how did you handle it' question comes up in every interview.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I take it they aren't usb 3.0? :v:
Some of the disks are actually, but it doesn't matter because none of the servers have USB 3. They're all HP DL360/380 Gen5.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
"InDesign is slow"

We've recently hired some designers (our first ever) and they're opening InDesign files over the local network. It's making things pretty slow for them. What is best practice for these types of workers?

I've never used InDesign but it seems like one file can link back to multiple other files, all of which are pretty large.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Galler posted:

Holy poo poo. That's a pretty huge cockup but even still if he had just owned up to it

he would have still been in trouble for not questioning the original ticket, and for deleting another department's data without approval.

This is the same dude who didn't know what the "quiet room" was for, decided to take a nap in it, and was genuinely confused when a lady came in to use it and got offended when he didn't leave. He's really good and compounding multiple gently caress ups into single incidents.

Edit: Seriously, how does anyone not realize what that room is for?

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

afflictionwisp posted:

he would have still been in trouble for not questioning the original ticket, and for deleting another department's data without approval.

This is the same dude who didn't know what the "quiet room" was for, decided to take a nap in it, and was genuinely confused when a lady came in to use it and got offended when he didn't leave. He's really good and compounding multiple gently caress ups into single incidents.

Sounds like his severance package should include a brochure for a good ditch digging school.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Collateral Damage posted:

Sounds like our archival storage for old virtual machines.. Copy them to a USB drive and put them in the non-fireproof safe inside the data center.

Ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with this practice?

I just started storing Decomm'd VMs on a large USB drive for a little bit of insurance. We were just recently bit by deleting a VM (poorly labeled server was also the KMS Server). Management went "LOL OH WELL" and we threw together a 2012 server fast enough, but I ordered a large USB drive anyway. No space left on the SAN for that kind of storage, no budget for NASes.

I'm making images of new physical boxes and putting them there as well (we don't backup servers that don't store irreplaceable data - most VMs are born from a template).

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I just started storing Decomm'd VMs on a large USB drive for a little bit of insurance. We were just recently bit by deleting a VM (poorly labeled server was also the KMS Server). Management went "LOL OH WELL" and we threw together a 2012 server fast enough, but I ordered a large USB drive anyway. No space left on the SAN for that kind of storage, no budget for NASes.

I'm making images of new physical boxes and putting them there as well (we don't backup servers that don't store irreplaceable data - most VMs are born from a template).

It's the "non fireproof safe next to the server its backing up" that's the problem. Keep your backups offsite in the event something like a fire takes out your main site.

USB media also degrades over time, much like magnetic media.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

afflictionwisp posted:

Edit: Seriously, how does anyone not realize what that room is for?

I don't know if it's a US specific thing but a "quiet room" sounds to me like the equivalent of the train carriages where you're not supposed to use a mobile phone I.e. a good place to sleep.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lord Dudeguy posted:

A good backup strategy has both on-site and off-site storage of backups.

The reason is simple: on-site backups are fast and off-site backups are your ultimate fallback.

On-site backups can be restored from quickly. Since most restore scenarios are not total disasters of the "oh god a meteor hit my datacenter" variety, this is ideal. It is, however, not enough on its own.

Off-site backup are there for any time that your on-site backups are unavailable. Usually this isn't even a total disaster. Maybe some helpdesk idiot deleted all the backups by accident while trying to fix someone's 84GB .pst file. Or maybe a meteor DID hit your datacenter. Either way, your backups are off-site and you can restore your poo poo. It just takes longer.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I don't know if it's a US specific thing but a "quiet room" sounds to me like the equivalent of the train carriages where you're not supposed to use a mobile phone I.e. a good place to sleep.

I've never heard of this in a business as well. I assume it's to be used like a library? Nice, quiet room to study in (or sleep).

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

TWBalls posted:

I've never heard of this in a business as well. I assume it's to be used like a library? Nice, quiet room to study in (or sleep).

I'm genuinely surprised. Its the room where women who are nursing can go to have some privacy. You don't always see it labeled with ambiguous names, but its pretty clear in the context of being there.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 20, 2014

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

afflictionwisp posted:

I'm genuinely surprised. Its the room where women who are nursing can go to have some privacy. You don't always see it labeled with ambiguous names, but its pretty clear in the context of being there.

I finally got this after reading your first post a couple times, but yeah, it wasn't necessarily clear at first glance.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Potato Alley posted:

I finally got this after reading your first post a couple times, but yeah, it wasn't necessarily clear at first glance.

At first I was wondering the exact use for the quiet room and why a business would have one, then I was more confused by what kind of company allows people to nap while at work. The first part is explained, the second is not.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Today we got one step closer to a unified network when my two co-workers and I unracked 30 servers for disposal. We'd shut them down earlier last week, but we were just waiting for the go-ahead and got it today. On the one hand I was a bit sad seeing all that hardware getting stacked on pallets for disposal, but on the other hand it means fewer servers to patch and hardware to replace. Hopefully by this time in April all our legacy hardware will be at the scrapheap and Windows Server 2003 will be a distant memory. I sort of want to grab a couple machines for a VMware lab, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Oh well.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

afflictionwisp posted:

Here they're flat-out called "lactation rooms", and it's mandatory every office have one they keep just for that purpose, even if it's a small remote office that's short on storage space and only staffed by five men.

More on topic, a call came in this morning. A user was having trouble adding 30 pictures as email attachments, at a few meg each.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Keep your backups offsite

ConfusedUs posted:

Off-site backup

Oh, I must have missed that whole point. I take the drive off-site.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If I saw a small room with 'quiet room' on a sign next to it I would probably assume it's for muslim (or any other faith that has to pray a bunch) employees to pray in. Which would be a good idea because there were a bunch of times where I walked into conference room C and flipped on the lights only to find Wasik (sorry buddy) in there praying. Or possibly a place for private conversations for people that don't have offices. It being for nursing women would probably be about the last thing I would think it was for.

Regardless I wouldn't go in there and take a loving nap.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Quiet rooms are also pretty nice/useful if you get migraines. I don't usually, but every six+ months or so I get one that makes me totally useless. If I'm at work it's nice to have a room where I can go sit quietly in the dark for the better part of an hour while waiting for a painkiller to kick in. My company is pretty permissive and I'd think a nap would probably be ok if you cleared it with your supervisor first, but I'm really struggling to think of a situation where that would be appropriate vs. taking some PTO or sick leave.

You'd have to be a colossal loving moron not to get out immediately if a woman comes in though.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

afflictionwisp posted:

Hmm.. Most places I've ever worked, they usually just took maternity leave. I've never seen a room marked as a quiet room (or as someone else said, lactating room). Of course, since I work at a hospital, I'd imagine most probably visit the birthing center for that.

Of course, if I didn't know quiet room = lactation room and someone came in with a baby (or breast pump) I'd certainly leave to allow privacy.

LGD posted:

My company is pretty permissive and I'd think a nap would probably be ok if you cleared it with your supervisor first, but I'm really struggling to think of a situation where that would be appropriate vs. taking some PTO or sick leave.

In my case, I was working a shitload of hours for a big project and (at the time) had a long commute (1hr 45mins each way, on a good day). I'd rather sleep at work than risk getting behind the wheel tired.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Just saw this come into the queue.

Hi,

I’m having the same issue as below.

Could you stop fiddling with the printer settings?

And could I please have the printer working again.

Thanks

%User%

The "same issue as below" is referring to the printer not receiving his documents. Stop fiddling with it. Also make it work.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

TWBalls posted:

Hmm.. Most places I've ever worked, they usually just took maternity leave. I've never seen a room marked as a quiet room (or as someone else said, lactating room). Of course, since I work at a hospital, I'd imagine most probably visit the birthing center for that.

Of course, if I didn't know quiet room = lactation room and someone came in with a baby (or breast pump) I'd certainly leave to allow privacy.

Maternity leave in the US is 12 weeks max, and then only really if you happen to work for a loving phenomenal organization. Most women want to nurse more than ~3 months.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I have an meeting room next to my desk, and the people on our language market support teams go in it to take a nap during their lunch. The problem comes that they sometimes take chairs away from desks that are being used so they can put their feet up. Problems comes when they ALWAYS take my loving seat.

One quick word to my TL and that stopped quickly.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Have I mentioned how much I loving LOATHE Time Warner and CenturyLink? Because both are the worst goddamn excuses for an ISP I've ever encountered.

Last Friday, a client site went down, no network at all on wired or wireless. They have CenturyLink service, so my engineer partner went on site to check it out after the ISP failed to bring it up by Monday morning. Turned out the ISP supplied modem was bad, so my partner calls up their support to see if a new one could be sent out.

The CenturyLink tech runs him through the same set of steps at least 3 times to confirm that the modem is dead before even offering to replace it. Engineer buddy asks to speak to a manager to get a replacement modem and stop wasting time, promptly gets put on hold for almost 20 minutes. "Manager" gets on the line, and tells him to go through the same loving troubleshooting steps that failed the first 3 times from the first tech. Engineer is stressed and livid at this point, having wasted almost 45 minutes and gotten nowhere, demands to speak to someone higher up that will get him what he needs. Finally speaks to an account manager, explains everything, and they agree to send a replacement...in TWO DAYS. He asks if they could just send someone from a nearby depot out to drop one off on site and test, no go - despite the town being less than 30 minutes from a larger city with a depot, they won't send it out any faster. Engineer now wants to commit homicide and arson on said ISP for wasting his time and leaving a very needy, high maintenance client without any internet for almost 72 hours.

He ends up driving 15 minutes to a Best Buy, buying a modem, bringing it back and calling the ISP to get it set up so the client can get their internet back. After 7 hours on site dealing with CenturyLink bullshit, everything is back up, client is satisfied outside being billed for a new modem they never should have had to pay for.
--------------

Another client today lost their internet access, they use Time Warner. Apparently their account was cancelled for non-payment, so we look into the problem...turns out the cancelled account was the wrong account. Client initially set up service and TWC gave them 3 accounts instead of the 2 they asked for, and despite repeated attempts to cancel the unneeded account, TWC finally sees it hasn't been paid for and decides to cancel it, and one of the active accounts with it. Talked with TWC, techs say their hands are tied, only an Account Manager can reactivate the account but not without a blood sample, fingerprint, retinal scan, anal probe, the gold fillings in your teeth and your first born child. Luckily an engineer in the office has a sister in law who works for TWC in the area and happens to be an Account Manager, but we still have to go on site to get things straightened out with the client. After 5 hours of explaining everything and finally untangling the Mystery of the Unused Account, service gets reactivated and the old account that was requested to be cancelled several times in the last 6 months is finally closed out.

A good chunk of our clients have Cox, but they don't service certain areas, so it kinda blows...Cox hasn't been nearly as bad, usually right on the ball when an outage happens, don't run us through bullshit steps to fix something (especially if we've tried it), and usually don't have outages that last more than a couple hours at a time.

TWC and CenturyLink can eat a giant dirty, rotten, disease infested, maggot-ridden landfill of dicks, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

afflictionwisp posted:

You're working with a bunch of nerds, who as a group tend to be both more male and more socially ignorant than your average randomly selected group of people. It stands to reason that one of them is not going to know the true purpose of a room named something as ambiguous as the "quiet room." I've certainly never heard that term used in that context before your post. Quiet Room to me sounds like a place where you can get away from the loving phones and get your equilibrium back or focus on a problem in your own head for a while.

At my last job, the room was called the "New Mothers Room." Tactful, while still being obvious if you put an ounce of thought into it, and even if you were a complete idiot and couldn't, you could just think, "Am I a new mother? Nope!" and not go in anyway.

Not saying the guy wasn't an idiot about it if a woman came in and asked to use it.

Varkk posted:

then I was more confused by what kind of company allows people to nap while at work. The first part is explained, the second is not.

A really goddamn smart and progressive company full of educated, skilled employees who use their brains really hard all day, that's what kind. If a nap in the middle of the day helps them get their work done, they should be allowed and encouraged to take one. (Note: this assumes they don't need to cover a shift or something - I'm coming at this from a developer's perspective here)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

Have I mentioned how much I loving LOATHE Time Warner and CenturyLink? Because both are the worst goddamn excuses for an ISP I've ever encountered.

This school year we started bumping against our 50Mbit cap on our internet connection, helpfully provided by Centurylink.
Come January, we're not just bumping against it, we're sitting at the cap almost all day, every day. Since so many of our services are via cloud now, things were getting...unpleasant. We requested an upgrade to 100Mbit back in December. They essentially sat on it for two solid months while our staff were constantly getting disconnected from the student management systems. Until the cooperative that manages school internet services for much of the state gets involved, then it's magically upgraded within days!

In other tickets:
"Computer lab won't connect to the network."
I'm in a hurry and don't have time to do much when I get there, so I fire up one computer, log in, it's all good. I chalk it up to our domain controller being grumpy earlier that day. Next day I get another ticket saying they can't access the Internet. I'm at a remote site, and I start pinging machine names and one responds. I remote in and everything's working fine. I call the ticket submitter, who hands me off to the person who actually had the problem, and she says "Oh, no, those 4 computers by the door work fine; nothing else does, though." She turns on more of the lab and I can't ping them, and they're coming up with 169.x.x.x addresses, so I drop what I'm doing and head out to the lab. Yup, no connections...and no lights on the switch that feeds most of the lab. Hey, the computers at the front of the room aren't turning on, either!
Circuit breaker had tripped, probably from power outages over the weekend. Looks like we need to go a step beyond 'Use our ticketing system' to 'Describe the problem accurately in our ticketing system'.
'My camera isn't working!' Actual symptom: Projector just showing blue with "VIDEO 1" in corner. Problem: Projector on wrong source.
'Computer's not working' Actual symptom: Visiting this webpage says it's blocked because of games but they're educational games. Problem: Webfilter was blocking a website.
'Computer has a virus' Actual symptom: Random reboots, difficulty starting, strong smell of electrical smoke in the air. Problem: Computer attempting to catch fire.

And one I'm glad I don't have to deal with myself:
"Lightning struck the middle school building over the weekend. Nothing's working."
The strike fried a whole bunch of switches and NICs (and the fire alarm control panel!) all over the building. They power something on, it starts flooding the network with garbage and makes a switch in the MDF puke like it's a switch loop, but worse. Remove the offending hardware, reset the switch, repeat. So far they've spent the past couple days weeding out bad hardware and now they're just focused on getting the WAPs back up so the teachers' laptops and the mobile labs can get online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

Last Friday, a client site went down, no network at all on wired or wireless...

Is there some SLA in your contract which states you'll receive on-site same-day modem replacement? If not, why didn't your engineer just go on-site with a replacement modem in the first place if the issue could have been resolved in 15 minutes?

Sounds like a good opportunity for some self-reflection on how the job could have been handled better on your company's end.

• Locked thread