Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Parmesan Basil posted:

I just wanted to point out how a person who went to the most illustrious school in the nation is going to try and be a long snapper in the NFL.

Why not? He will be making more than most of his class mates when he enters the NFL, and he doesn't need to be particularly physically talented to play the position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's the difference between a Long Snapper and a 3rd round safety!

Dallas already has a long snapper who is like the Dan Bailey of long snappers, he got re-upped last year on something like a 5 year contract, and I would be legit mad if he got cut

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Can someone point me towards the papers I need to file to declare for the draft?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't.. like, I still don't understand what scouts saw in Nassib to begin with, but this guy. This guy.

Rotoworld posted:

Sports on Earth's Russ Lande tweeted he spoke with one NFL "higher up" who said none of the QBs in the 2014 class are as good as Ryan Nassib. Lande later clarified that this NFL personnel member does not work for the Giants. The former NFL scout turned writer listed Nassib as the No. 1 quarterback and player in last year's draft class.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

Cowboys win the coin flip, they pick 16th, Ravens 17th.

Eh, we aren't targeting any of the same players in the first so this isn't too big a deal.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't.. like, I still don't understand what scouts saw in Nassib to begin with, but this guy. This guy.

I think I said it before but Russ Lande is a retard.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Parmesan Basil posted:

I just wanted to point out how a person who went to the most illustrious school in the nation is going to try and be a long snapper in the NFL.

If you are a top tier long snapper you can survive in the league for 15-17 years, and earn about 25 million (before taxes agent etc) for your trouble, on average.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Holy crap, Clowney's swim move and first step was ridiculous even in HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTkmiBdoBDc

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If you are a top tier long snapper you can survive in the league for 15-17 years, and earn about 25 million (before taxes agent etc) for your trouble, on average.

Why would a long snapper even need an agent? Is there a single LS in the league making more than the minimum?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Quest For Glory II posted:

This smells like a fresh load of crap to me. If there was a higher-up with anything resembling authority in an NFL organization who believed that Ryan Nassib was the best prospect in the entire draft, then how does he last until the fourth round and still get drafted by a different team?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

skaboomizzy posted:

Why would a long snapper even need an agent? Is there a single LS in the league making more than the minimum?

Yes.

Also everyone needs an agent who can read a contract for you.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Doltos posted:

Can someone point me towards the papers I need to file to declare for the draft?

I have a very legit smile

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Chichevache posted:

Why not? He will be making more than most of his class mates when he enters the NFL, and he doesn't need to be particularly physically talented to play the position.

I guess I just assume that Ivy League grads have seven figure jobs waiting for them upon graduation.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

excidium posted:

This is amazing. It's like watching a grown man playing against a middle school team.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

excidium posted:

The best part about this video is the first play, where he beats the left tackle with his first step and swim, sees that the RB went up the hole in the middle, turns around, and runs down a RB 50 pounds lighter than him on a dead sprint within 20 yards.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I enjoyed seeing him run the ball and completely blow by the safety who was trying to take an angle on him while at the same time wondering how in the world he was going to tackle him if he did catch him

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Doltos posted:

Yes.

Also everyone needs an agent who can read a contract for you.

Do you? Ethan Albright and Chris Cooley didn't have agents (Cooley nearer to the end of his career) so while every athlete probably should have an agent, it's not necessary.

Apparently Albright just went into Snyder's office and said something along the lines of "same thing as last year" and they shook hands, signed the paper, and that was that. Every year.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Elite athletes against average joes in their youth is always entertaining.

Sidney Crosby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neO44K7Awg0

Bo Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7sUMmD-JA

Lebron James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQJS_a85gg

My personal favorite Leo Messi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZ1xiCuyUw

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

I enjoyed seeing him run the ball and completely blow by the safety who was trying to take an angle on him while at the same time wondering how in the world he was going to tackle him if he did catch him
I liked all the tiny RBs trying to help the tackle with a chip and their body language is just "oh gently caress" even before he blows past them.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Kind of like your av, actually. "I'll block this loving eagle... nah"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PrinceRandom posted:

I have a very legit smile

I am serious, I kinda want to fill one out even if it requires processing fees.

Santheb posted:

Do you? Ethan Albright and Chris Cooley didn't have agents (Cooley nearer to the end of his career) so while every athlete probably should have an agent, it's not necessary.

Apparently Albright just went into Snyder's office and said something along the lines of "same thing as last year" and they shook hands, signed the paper, and that was that. Every year.

Ethan Albright probably cost him self several hundred thousands of dollars over the course of his career by not having an agent, including the 10% cut.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007

On the other hand, you don't have to deal with agents doing underhanded poo poo like lying to you about which teams have offered you a contract. I know... :wtc:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm not sure why anyone would need an agent for their rookie deal. With the new CBA the details of your contract are essentially set once you're drafted. I'd figure its mostly plug and play.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

smuggler posted:

On the other hand, you don't have to deal with agents doing underhanded poo poo like lying to you about which teams have offered you a contract. I know... :wtc:

Who did this happen to? Or is it a frequent enough thing that you can't pinpoint it?

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007

I haven't heard of it happening recently. It happened in the early days of the cap iirc to keep players from taking lesser offers from higher quality teams. I don't have a source or anything, if I find it I'll post it in the thread.

Something along the lines of "Oh hey, why didn't you tell me I had an offer from the 49ers?"

"Don't worry about that. It wasn't even close to competitive enough to consider,"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would need an agent for their rookie deal. With the new CBA the details of your contract are essentially set once you're drafted. I'd figure its mostly plug and play.

The agent hypes you up and tries to get you drafted higher. They also cover all the incidentals of joining the NFL, such as getting you an apartment setup or being the liaison between you and your new team's upper management.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
We also still get guys holding out or signing at the last minute, so at least at the top of the draft there are things that agents/players and teams argue about.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Why does a player need a liaison between himself and his superiors? Also, do any FOs let anything an agents says effect who they pick where?

"Oh, we were going to trade back and wait for this DT to fall but his agent says the Cowboys are interested so.."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kalli posted:

Cowboys win the coin flip, they pick 16th, Ravens 17th.

The Cowboys finally won something!

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Azhais posted:

The Cowboys finally won something!

The Cowboys excel at 50% propositions, come on.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Grittybeard posted:

We also still get guys holding out or signing at the last minute, so at least at the top of the draft there are things that agents/players and teams argue about.

Pretty sure it's limited to offset language now. That's about the only sticking point anymore in rookie deals.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

Sidney Crosby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neO44K7Awg0

If I remember right he went to Minnesota to play hockey because his dad was tired of seeing the locals resorting to trying kill his son on the ice because they couldn't stop him.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Donte Moncrief is looks like a really good player that is getting overlooked in this deep reciver class. Should run a 4.4, has ideal size at 6'3" 215, and pretty good hands. From what I can tell his draft stock has been supressed by a poor qb at Ole Miss who liked to throw a lot to their rookie WR.

Is there a legit reason that teams should avoid Moncrief in the 2nd round?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Danny LaFever posted:

If I remember right he went to Minnesota to play hockey because his dad was tired of seeing the locals resorting to trying kill his son on the ice because they couldn't stop him.

Also the parents of his teammates were total shits but what else is new.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

excidium posted:

I like the yellow arrow even though he's like a head and a half taller than everyone else on the field and like 1/3 again as wide.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 20, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Donte Moncrief is looks like a really good player that is getting overlooked in this deep reciver class. Should run a 4.4, has ideal size at 6'3" 215, and pretty good hands. From what I can tell his draft stock has been supressed by a poor qb at Ole Miss who liked to throw a lot to their rookie WR.

There's around five hundred thousand legit 2nd round receivers in this draft.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

bewbies posted:

My personal favorite Leo Messi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZ1xiCuyUw

Haha holy poo poo Messi has always had moves. He's one of the smallest kids there and is just embarrassing everyone else.

Are we doing a new thread for the Combine or post Combine?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, might as well. If someone wants to make a Combine thread, go for it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Are we doing a new thread for the Combine or post Combine?

I was just about to post on this. I'm not going to do a full combine thread, just a "final" draft thread that has my writeups after the combine and pro days. Do with that what you will!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Please do not insult Dr. Bo, thank you

• Locked thread