Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze opened with 35,717 sold in Japan while the Wii U did 8.782, an increase of barely 1,600 units over the previous week despite the first major release for the system in a couple of months.

Shoutouts to Louisgod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The WiiU WISHES it was in Gamecube country. Right now it's.. I don't know, dead and stuck in purgatory?

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

My own experience with Nintendo since the GameCube has been buy the console play the one or two games like Mario Bros /Kart/etc get bored and sell it.

I keep expecting the Mario games and such to be bigger and better but so far every one of them has been ridiculously easy and short.

They were on the right track back with 64 and Sunshine hell even Paper Mario and Superstar Saga. But ever since New Super Mario Bros it's been on a downhill slide in quality.

Zelda games don't interest so that leaves slim pickings.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So, what is it going to take before Nintendo realizes that they need to clean house and bring on some sensible management?

Also :laffo: at the fact that companies give a flying gently caress about the consumer. The consumer transaction is 2 parties trying to get the most out of eachother at both persons expense. This is the way things will always be, none of us would make purchasing decisions thinking of anyone other than ourselves, why would anyone think that it'd be any different on the other side.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Austrian mook posted:

So, what is it going to take before Nintendo realizes that they need to clean house and bring on some sensible management?

Iwata already cut his salary in half - now he's only making $400 billion instead of $800 billion - how many sacrifices must nintendo make?!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

They can't. The people causing the problems are the same people running the company and on the board, and they just spent a sizable amount of the company's nest egg to make sure Nintendo owns majority of it's own stock and its decisions can't be questioned.

Polo-Rican posted:

Iwata already cut his salary in half - now he's only making $400 billion instead of $800 billion - how many sacrifices must nintendo make?!

Actually he's never earned that much compared to western executives. Nintendo executives have never been paid all that highly. He probably earns less than a million even before his salary was cut.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Gamecube at the very least got ports of other games. Sure, they may have had features cut from them, but they were decent at the very least, but that was probably because it was on par with the competition.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

They can't. The people causing the problems are the same people running the company and on the board, and they just spent a sizable amount of the company's nest egg to make sure Nintendo owns majority of it's own stock and its decisions can't be questioned.

Actually he's never earned that much compared to western executives. Nintendo executives have never been paid all that highly. He probably earns less than a million even before his salary was cut.

It's a japanese thing, ridiculous CEO wages aren't really a thing by in large over there.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

blackguy32 posted:

Gamecube at the very least got ports of other games. Sure, they may have had features cut from them, but they were decent at the very least, but that was probably because it was on par with the competition.

iirc, the gamecube was more powerful than the X-box or the PS2.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Austrian mook posted:

The X-Box was more powerful and had better audio options. I know that when there was a game being released for all three systems that I wanted I'd usually just buy the GameCube version since it tended to have better load times.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

The X-Box was more powerful and had better audio options. I know that when there was a game being released for all three systems that I wanted I'd usually just buy the GameCube version since it tended to have better load times.

Really? Did they ever port Resident Evil 4 on there? It's hard to eyeball since most of the games on the Gamecube are all cartoon (Sunshine, WW, etc.) Not that those games don't look beautiful in their own right.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

blackguy32 posted:

? The Wii U isn't exactly lacking games port wise, Arkham City, Arkham Origins, Asscreed 3 and 4, ME3, Deus Ex HR, RE Revelations etc...

Box of Bunnies posted:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze opened with 35,717 sold in Japan while the Wii U did 8.782, an increase of barely 1,600 units over the previous week despite the first major release for the system in a couple of months.

Shoutouts to Louisgod.

Sad but unsurprising, all previous DKC titles were on good selling consoles so obviously it's harder to find an audience on Wii U.Excellent games but not system movers, unfortunately. I'm glad I'm getting a new one though. :neckbeard:

Hopefully this doesn't kill the franchise, I think the Wii port on 3DS didn't do too bad, downgrade but I'd take it if it means having the third game of the new trilogy.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

No games? What? Why did you buy a Nintendo console if you don't like Nintendo games? :psyduck: Not mentioning the third party games that everyone ignores for some reason.

VVVVV: Well I meant the ones already released obviously, though there are digital third party games on the horizon.

Dude I thought I was going to like them when I bought the console. I was pretty darn hopeful for the thing! Then it turned out most of them were meh at best, and there's little else on the thing to actually do. It's seriously a huge disappointment to actually own. This is also why I'm pretty pessimistic on any upcoming Nintendo titles for the Wii U as well, most of the ones they've put out on the system (barring like, mario 3d world) have been just not that impressive.

Austrian mook posted:

The capability went roughly PS2 < Gamecube < Xbox. If the GC had used full DVD sized discs on top of that, the typical GC release would have been all around better than the PS2 release, but a lot of GC releases ended up either having graphics and media slightly reduced in quality or cut to fit on a single disc, or kept everything but added the annoyance of multiple discs for a game that was a single disc on the PS2/Xbox.

Honestly, in that respect the GC was quite similar to the N64, as the N64 did have the best 3D rendering hardware of that generation, including not having textures flail about like they tended to on PS1, but was hit by a double whammy of Nintendo not putting enough memory in that could be easily used for textures + the cartridge holding a lot less data.

Kurtofan posted:

? The Wii U isn't exactly lacking games port wise, Arkham City, Arkham Origins, Asscreed 3 and 4, ME3, Deus Ex HR, RE Revelations etc...

Most of those have random features missing on my Wii U versus my 360, or have unexplainable slowdown compared to the 360/PS3 versions.

Louisgod posted:

Most important thing Nintendo did right for the GameCube was add in a lot of extra RAM dedicated to preloading content off of the discs, that's why most of the games had better visible load times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought the 3ds one was an upgrade because honestly that extra health was sorely needed. Plus the controls were better.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

greatn posted:

I thought the 3ds one was an upgrade because honestly that extra health was sorely needed. Plus the controls were better.

The easy mode (extra health and being able to take several hits in kart/rocket levels) is back alongside the traditional normal mode. There's also a one health no partner, no checkpoints mode you can unlock. As for the controls the waggling is limited to the wiimote configurations so you won't have it on Gamepad or Pro-controller.

That + the HD means going back to 3DS would be rough but I'd be okay with it as long as the gameplay is fine tuned.

I don't really understand why the 3DS is so well received compared to the Wii U, is it because it sells better? Are people just more lenient with handhelds?

Obviously I think it's a fine handheld console but I actually have more games on Wii U than on 3DS (and some of them were pretty cheap stuff) and several of those are actually inferiors (NSMB 2, SM3DLAND, DKCR3D etc...) just something I've been wondering about.

VVVV: Yeah of course my case is not universal but besides the usual JRPGs we don't get in Europe I don't feel like I'm missing any essentials, though I guess I must overlook some genres (the big games I can think that I have very little interest in are AC, Star Fox 3D, fighting games, sports game)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 19, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

I don't really understand why the 3DS is so well received compared to the Wii U, is it because it sells better? Are people just more lenient with handhelds?

3DS did pretty poorly on launch and the following year I think- didn't really pick up steam until it had a decent library of games.

Kurtofan posted:

Obviously I think it's a fine handheld console but I actually have more games on Wii U than on 3DS (and some of them were pretty cheap stuff) and several of those are actually inferiors (NSMB 2, SM3DLAND, DKCR3D etc...) just something I've been wondering about.

You may have more games on the Wii U but the 3DS has a much bigger library at this point with a variety of game types. It also helps that really it's only competition is the Vita.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kurtofan posted:

A lot of those came out earlier (almost a year) on the other systems. I don't know why the hell they even bothered with ME3 after the poo poo it got on Xbox 360/PS 3.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 19, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rudoku posted:

A lot of those came out earlier (almost a year) on the other systems. I don't why the hell they even bothered with ME3 after the poo poo it got on Xbox 360/PS 3.

Well the multiplayer was pretty drat good and on a Next-Gen system like the WiiU,

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Louisgod posted:

I defend the old XBOX far too much on these forums but seriously, the thing was a pretty significant step beyond both the PS2 and Gamecube in basically every way. It was capable of doing 720p pretty easily, most cross platform games could have been set to 720p by default quite easily if developers gave more of a drat. The load times were also mitigated if you loaded everything onto the HDD (and unless you had a hard-on for early XB Live, there was no excuse not to have a modded XBOX).

A Doom 3 port and the Riddick game would have been impossible on the Gamecube or PS2. Even Half Life 2 would have been a stretch, it'd have to be cut down significantly.

People give the XBOX way too little credit. It was funny people saying that the Wii was more powerful than the XBOX back when it was released when the Wii's hardware was clearly inferior in every way, with the exception of RAM (slightly).

If you have an XBOX with a component cable, I recommend giving Mortal Kombat Armageddon a try sometime. It runs at 720p/60fps and looks like an early XBOX 360 game.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 19, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

vxskud posted:

I keep expecting the Mario games and such to be bigger and better but so far every one of them has been ridiculously easy and short.

Out of curiosity I decided to look into the main story completion times on How Long To Beat.

The 2D games have actually been getting significantly longer based on the previous entries. The 3D games have been getting shorter... the completionist times vary, but I'm not going to make another list to compare.

2D Games
9 1/2 hrs - New Super Mario Bros Wii U (Wii U)
8 1/2 hrs - New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)
7 hrs - New Super Mario Bros (DS)
7 hrs - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
5 hrs - New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
5 hrs - Super Mario World (SNES)
5 hrs - Super Mairo Bros 3 (NES)
2 hrs - Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)
2 hrs - Super Mario Bros - The Lost Levels (NES)
1.5 hrs - Super Mario Bros (NES)

3D Games
19 1/2 hrs - Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
15 1/2 hrs - Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
14 hrs - Super Mario 64 (N64)
13 1/2 hrs - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
9 1/2 hrs - Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
6 1/2 hrs - Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Austrian mook posted:

Really? Did they ever port Resident Evil 4 on there? It's hard to eyeball since most of the games on the Gamecube are all cartoon (Sunshine, WW, etc.) Not that those games don't look beautiful in their own right.

No, I think RE4 only ever came out on the Gamecube and PS2. Regardless, I'm not sure what this discussion has to do with the WiiU so we should probably move on.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Kurtofan posted:

Well, for one thing, it has a better gimmick. Although the 3D can be a (literal) pain, when you see it for the first time it's definitely a "Wow" moment. Some games do really nice stuff with it. Plus, with the dual screens and 3d, it's still one of a kind.

Nobody says "wow" when they see the Wii U's big white ugly plastic tablet with sticks jutting out. Well, they might say "wow," but not in a good way.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Louisgod posted:

No, I think RE4 only ever came out on the Gamecube and PS2. Regardless, I'm not sure what this discussion has to do with the WiiU so we should probably move on.
It was also ported to the Wii.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

That version was ported to PS360 as well (with one or two missing visual effects due to RE4 basically being coded to the Gamecube/Wii's metal) and that version's about to be ported to the PC with optional redone textures in order to Right Past Wrongs.

I guess we can all just agree that RE4 was loving rad and go back to lamenting the Wii U. :(

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

Well, for one thing, it has a better gimmick. Although the 3D can be a (literal) pain, when you see it for the first time it's definitely a "Wow" moment. Some games do really nice stuff with it. Plus, with the dual screens and 3d, it's still one of a kind.

Nobody says "wow" when they see the Wii U's big white ugly plastic tablet with sticks jutting out. Well, they might say "wow," but not in a good way.

I like the 3d on the games that pull it off well. Like, I didn't care for 3d on Pokemon but on A Link Between Worlds it's wonderful. I also got Donkey Kong 3d free with my 3ds, I think the 3d is well done there too. I suffer from frequent headaches since childhood, but the 3d effect thankfully hasn't triggered any.

I don't have a WiiU or plan to get one (smash is coming to the 3ds after all), I know it's a silly hope but after playing DKCR 3D I wish retro studios would make a 2-d (as in sidescrolling, not without 3d effects) Metroid for the 3ds.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blackheart posted:

I like the 3d on the games that pull it off well. Like, I didn't care for 3d on Pokemon but on A Link Between Worlds it's wonderful. I also got Donkey Kong 3d free with my 3ds, I think the 3d is well done there too. I suffer from frequent headaches since childhood, but the 3d effect thankfully hasn't triggered any.

I don't have a WiiU or plan to get one (smash is coming to the 3ds after all), I know it's a silly hope but after playing DKCR 3D I wish retro studios would make a 2-d (as in sidescrolling, not without 3d effects) Metroid for the 3ds.

I get this horrible feeling that Metroid just isn't coming back for a long time.

Maybe they'll resurrect the 2d one that was supposed to be on the DS or something.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox all are extremely different systems with wildly different architectures and it's near impossible to say one is "more powerful" than the other.

There are graphical tricks that you can do on one that you can't do on the other. Some parts of one are programmable, while on another it's fixed. It wildly depends on the capability of the programmer to optimize, and how the game code is structured.

The Gamecube has an extremely easy-to-use, powerful fixed-function pipeline GPU capable of emulating a lot of complex effects, and it's closest one of the three to modern GPU architecture. Has a lot of cool ways of doing special tricks, screen-space postprocessing effects. Has indirect texture mapping and other fun tricks predating a full programmable pipeline for a few years.

The PS2 is extremely powerful in that everything is programmable, but it has a long developer-to-triangle time. To get something up and running you need to program six different chips and get them all clock synchronized and working. There's a lot of power to be exploited in the flexibility, but it means that a cross-platform engine is hard to build, since you can't easily exploit the power of the PS2.

I don't know too much about the Xbox in comparison. From my extremely basic research right now it's effectively a 2000-era PC with some special-purpose equipment, with a Intel Pentium III and Direct3D 8 capable NVIDIA chip. Quite dated tech compared to the Gamecube's Flipper chip, but I don't know what that means in terms of power.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Strange Matter posted:

Well yeah but the context was regarding that specific generation. The Wii version was more or less a straight port with pointer controls.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Install Windows posted:

Dude I thought I was going to like them when I bought the console. I was pretty darn hopeful for the thing! Then it turned out most of them were meh at best, and there's little else on the thing to actually do. It's seriously a huge disappointment to actually own. This is also why I'm pretty pessimistic on any upcoming Nintendo titles for the Wii U as well, most of the ones they've put out on the system (barring like, mario 3d world) have been just not that impressive.

Not to age shame, but you sound like you're a know-it-all-know-nothing 18-year-old over these last few pages. The games Nintendo makes for Wii U are as good as they ever were. If you did not like a lot of them compared to their older counterparts your eyes are super-clouded by nostalgia or your taste in games has totally changed. The actual first party titles for Wii U is like the only thing they're doing right.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 19, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What Nintendo does with their games is generally not their problem. It's what they don't do that is a problem. For instance those Mario games would be great with online multiplayer as would donkey Kong which doesn't even have player collision so it would work great.

Other than that it's their terrible hardware and business decisions.

Nintendo games on the whole are still pretty great, there isn't much argument. Individual games like certain Zelda games you'll get a lot of argument, but overall their software isn't their problem. Their lack thereof and shunning of more modern features is.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Not to age shame, but you sound like you're a know-it-all-know-nothing 18-year-old over these last few pages.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2006

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

greatn posted:

What Nintendo does with their games is generally not their problem. It's what they don't do that is a problem. For instance those Mario games would be great with online multiplayer as would donkey Kong which doesn't even have player collision so it would work great.

Other than that it's their terrible hardware and business decisions.

Nintendo games on the whole are still pretty great, there isn't much argument. Individual games like certain Zelda games you'll get a lot of argument, but overall their software isn't their problem. Their lack thereof and shunning of more modern features is.

Yeah, I can buy that. I mean, I don't see the point in playing Mario 3D world online, cause I think half the fun is being constrained to the same screen with someone in the same room, but I could see someone else wanting it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox all are extremely different systems with wildly different architectures and it's near impossible to say one is "more powerful" than the other.

There are graphical tricks that you can do on one that you can't do on the other. Some parts of one are programmable, while on another it's fixed. It wildly depends on the capability of the programmer to optimize, and how the game code is structured.

The Gamecube has an extremely easy-to-use, powerful fixed-function pipeline GPU capable of emulating a lot of complex effects, and it's closest one of the three to modern GPU architecture. Has a lot of cool ways of doing special tricks, screen-space postprocessing effects. Has indirect texture mapping and other fun tricks predating a full programmable pipeline for a few years.

The PS2 is extremely powerful in that everything is programmable, but it has a long developer-to-triangle time. To get something up and running you need to program six different chips and get them all clock synchronized and working. There's a lot of power to be exploited in the flexibility, but it means that a cross-platform engine is hard to build, since you can't easily exploit the power of the PS2.

I don't know too much about the Xbox in comparison. From my extremely basic research right now it's effectively a 2000-era PC with some special-purpose equipment, with a Intel Pentium III and Direct3D 8 capable NVIDIA chip. Quite dated tech compared to the Gamecube's Flipper chip, but I don't know what that means in terms of power.

Yeah, although it can be easy to rank the consoles based on multiplatform game performance and visuals, when fully optimised for one system it's possible for them to do very impressive things.

For instance, the port of Metal Gear Solid 2 to the Xbox suffered from frame rate issues when it came to multiple transparencies layered on top of each other, while the PS2 runs at a solid 60 fps throughout the entire game (Fortune fight notwithstanding). Despite being arguably the weakest of the consoles, it had some stunning looking games developed for it, such as Metal Gear Solid 3 and Shadow of the Colossus. The Gamecube had a lot of impressive and realistic-looking games too, such as Resident Evil 4, F-ZERO GX, and Metroid Prime 2. However, games developed exclusively for the Xbox or ported from the PC tended to be the most impressive, including Half Life 2 and Doom 3.

What I'd be interested to know is how much more the Wii was capable of compared to the Gamecube. Super Smash Bros. Brawl looked better than Melee, but that might have been more due to the improved character models, lighting, and optimisation due to being released seven years later and not within one month of a new console's launch. On the other hand, Super Mario Galaxy was a significant step up from Sunshine, since it ran at 60 fps rather than 30, without any apparent drawbacks.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This company, I swear...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Astro7x posted:

This company, I swear...

Question: You can see Samus's ship the background of one stage, gently caress you, give us Metroid, gently caress you? gently caress

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Wii's GPU, "HW2", is a very simple successor to the one on the Gamecube. Here's Nintendo's official changelog on the new features in HW:

• NBT indices can be separated.
  • Fractional shift works with 8-bit vertex attributes.
  • Renormalization and “post-transform” matrices added for texgens.
  • Line (but not point) aspect ratio fixed for field-mode rendering.
  • New TEV compare functions added.
  • More flexibility in TEV for texture and raster color component swaps.
  • New TEV “constant” color registers, component selectable.
  • Subtractive “blend” mode.
  • New texture copy types (for both color and Z).
  • Scissor box offset.

There's not a lot of new stuff.

The biggest thing with Brawl vs. Melee and Sunshine vs. Galaxy was that the artists and engine technology were better. None of it was caused by newer GPU features.

I've taken apart Sunshine and Galaxy. Galaxy's art team was just a lot more talented.

I built a model viewer for the format that Super Mario Galaxy 2 uses. Here's the faceship model with all textures turned off (and no lighting since my model viewer doesn't do lighting yet):

That's right. All of those colors, the windows, the flowers, everything, are all done with vertex colors, and not texturing.

Here's what it looks like with texturing:

And here, while I have the code open, have a bug I encountered while trying to disable the texturing to show you:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Steamboat more like dreamboat :allears:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Spiffo posted:

Steamboat more like dreamboat :allears:

welcome back to mario galaxy 2

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

This company, I swear...

Holy poo poo this is going to be a trainwreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

Holy poo poo this is going to be a trainwreck

Louisgod posted:

Question: You can see Samus's ship the background of one stage, gently caress you, give us Metroid, gently caress you? gently caress

This but IRL. Well, as RL as Twitter is, anyway.

• Locked thread