Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Madmarker posted:

This is such a weird mindset for me to see. I mean, Im sure I'm a minority here, but there aren't any particular cards that I have an emotional connection to, yeah I mean some are cool,and I don't want to lose them because they would be expensive to replace but it's like getting emotionally connected to a scrabble tile.

I can understand what you're trying to convey when you make that comparison, but it shouldn't be surprising that the scrabble tile to magic card comparison breaks down on any number of levels for most people, so why shouldn't this be one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Yeah. My point is basically karn was a robot built with the same heart/soul piece that phyrexians are made with, then he got a spark. He was more or less a sleeper phyrexian agent from day 1, and he got a spark.

There's a difference between infected and compleated, though. Phyrexians don't have souls; Karn managed to develop one later, via Urza and Gerrard, and manifested a spark. And according to the story, Karn was immune to the Phyrexian corruption until he gave up his first spark, and the corruption immediately stopped working when Venser gave him his spark.

There's a lot of weirdness around planeswalker sparks, but there's a consistent emphasis that Phyrexians can't carry one.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It might be more clear depending on where they jump with Tezzeret. Apparently he is pretty high up on the chain of command right now in New Phyrexia on Bolas' orders. However that is mainly from the book which doesn't even have the Praetors so ???

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I can understand what you're trying to convey when you make that comparison, but it shouldn't be surprising that the scrabble tile to magic card comparison breaks down on any number of levels for most people, so why shouldn't this be one of them?

I mean, no disrespect intended towards people who do get emotionally invested, I just see the cars as tools to play a game. No more, no less. Hopefully it didn't come off as me attacking people who do get emotionally invested, it is just something I had never even thought of as a thing.

I enjoy playing the game, and analyzing the pieces but one card is as good as another to me.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Alaan posted:

It might be more clear depending on where they jump with Tezzeret. Apparently he is pretty high up on the chain of command right now in New Phyrexia on Bolas' orders. However that is mainly from the book which doesn't even have the Praetors so ???

He was last seen battling Glissa and the outcome of that fight is up in the air.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Its time for best non-full art basics!

Swamp and Island, no contest ladys and gents.

I'm sorry, but you are clearly wrong here. Old border is always best border because it matches your dual lands, and if you aren't playing dual lands why are you playing that format?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Sampatrick posted:

All magic cards need to be Russian because it looks so great. Its really too bad that its really hard to find Russian cards compared to like Japanese.

I'm working on getting my modern deck to 100 percent Russian. Hard to find is an understatement.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

As for forests, the Urza's Saga ones are some of the prettiest non-promo basics they've ever printed:

It's possible that these are the worst forests in the game

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

^^^ do you ever look in the mirror and think to yourself, "wow, so that's what being wrong looks like"

Shavnir posted:

I'm working on getting my modern deck to 100 percent Russian. Hard to find is an understatement.

How far have you come since GPKC? It was already pretty impressive then.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

JerryLee posted:

^^^ do you ever look in the mirror and think to yourself, "wow, so that's what being wrong looks like"

How far have you come since GPKC? It was already pretty impressive then.

With my latest order the main deck is down to helixes, one clique, one supreme, celestial collonades, Tec edges and one mystic gate. The helix are full art so they're low priority.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

The Wonder Weapon posted:

It's possible that these are the worst forests in the game

I hate this guy. Eight copies of him are the only MMQ lands I own.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

I think it sometimes when I read another post about how the old card frame looks better :twisted:

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm having trouble seeing the difference. Didn't you buy the pack that contained that Unhinged Mountain?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not comprehending why "owning" is different from "buying," since you basically have to buy in order to own. Right?

Oh it's totally a pedantic/arbitrary argument on my end. I didn't meant that in some holier than thou "well I opened my copy out of a pack X years ago ergo my deck is superior" but just in the sense of this is my copy that I've had for decade as opposed to something I bought a playset of so many years later purely for aesthetics. Basically, what Leafhouse said.

Typhus733 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 19, 2014

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

LeafHouse posted:

Pretty sure he wasn't saying his cards were superior. I get exactly what he is saying. There are some cards I have that I've owned as long as I can remember and thus are special to me. That 6th ed vampiric tutor I opened from a booster when I was 15 means more to me than one that I may have bought on Ebay. It doesn't seem bizarre to me at all.

Madmarker posted:

This is such a weird mindset for me to see. I mean, Im sure I'm a minority here, but there aren't any particular cards that I have an emotional connection to, yeah I mean some are cool,and I don't want to lose them because they would be expensive to replace but it's like getting emotionally connected to a scrabble tile.

I more or less view my magic cards as tools to play the game but there are certain cards I get attached to because I pulled it in a pack or I like the card design or art or whatever, and I would be more inclined to try out new decks with those cards and less inclined to trade those away. For example, drs is one of my favorite recent cards and it may be because I pulled a foil drs in a rav box a few months ago (also its done good work in my modern jund deck), so that helped me decide to go with BUG delver in legacy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The old borders are bad, Jace is cool, and anarchy reigns

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just trim all the borders off of my cards. :smaug:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Livingtrope posted:

The old borders are bad

Someone ban this fucker here

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Shavnir posted:

I live in Brussels and most everything is english. You can find random walds and whatnot in the land bin but it's less than 10%. Does anyone have any idea what the ratio of english-russian would be in a card shop in Moscow? Could you easily pick up playsets of staples for the typical exchange rate price?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

All of you "I started playing in Dark Ascension" scrubs have no appreciation for the history and character ingrained in the old border. The new border is just web 2.0 15 degree tilt logo poo poo. The old border reminds you that you're playing a card game about dragons, not collecting pictures of angry birds.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

All of you "I started playing in Dark Ascension" scrubs have no appreciation for the history and character ingrained in the old border. The new border is just web 2.0 15 degree tilt logo poo poo. The old border reminds you that you're playing a card game about dragons, not collecting pictures of angry birds.

I started in Revised and I prefer the new frame, so :shrug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think it sometimes when I read another post about how the old card frame looks better :twisted:

:smith:

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of a forest art that I outright hate. Most basic land is appropriately evocative of something, it's just a question of what you want to go for. This is what comes to mind when I think of an ugly forest, but with a black border it might not be so bad.

I really like the Portal Second Age forests. All gnarled and shady and treehouse-y and the artist wasn't concerned with being photorealistic. :3: It feels like Lorwyn, although it doesn't resemble the actual Lorwyn forest arts that much.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

whydirt posted:

I just trim all the borders off of my cards. :smaug:

The entire card is a border. Destroy all cards. Free yourself.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

The old borders are bad, Jace is cool, and anarchy reigns

Stinky Pit posted:

Someone ban this fucker here

If you think the new border is better than the old border you are not only wrong, but also blind. Next people will be saying artifacts should have a silver frame instead of a brown one and that that newfangled tap symbol is actually better than spelling out the words.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you never had to make a deck filled with angels and nice cards to show your mom because someone at work told her the game was Satanic then you're not allowed to have an opinion on anything related to Magic.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

If you think the new border is better than the old border you are not only wrong, but also blind. Next people will be saying artifacts should have a silver frame instead of a brown one and that that newfangled tap symbol is actually better than spelling out the words.

:smug: When I pay Demonic Hordes ' upkeep, I pay with BBB, instead of

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Stinky Pit posted:

If you never had to make a deck filled with angels and nice cards to show your mom because someone at work told her the game was Satanic then you're not allowed to have an opinion on anything related to Magic.

I actually had that deck with Serra Angel, Blessing, Holy Strength, etc. for that exact reason. Right next to my Demonic Hordes, Lord of the Pit, Demonic Tutor deck. Good times.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Reminds me of the Space Jam website.

...in how utterly rear end it was. I like the new frame and I like the future sight frame even more.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Do you even know the difference between a mono and poly artifact. Wow, they'll just let anyone play this game won't they.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Madmarker posted:

When did you start playing? All that cards I have any emotional connection to are ones that I've had since I started playing as a little kid. I couldn't care less about any cards I've gotten recently. A friend of mine pulled a Foil Shadowmage when the set first came out and people hounded him to trade it but he just wouldn't so they'd always make fun of him saying he was going to take it to his grave. He still has it to this day and I guarantee you that if I outlive him I will make sure he really does take it to his grave.

I'd say it's more like getting emotionally connected to a WoW character or something like that rather than a scrabble tile.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The new border is objectively (as in, I'm sure you can measure it according to metrics) better for readability, but the old border was better for flavor. More to the point, and I say this a lot but it's true, they threw more babies out with the bathwater than they needed to when they made the transition from old to new. "Huh okay this bit of text can be kind of hard to read sometimes" shouldn't translate into gutting everything except the basic layout.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

MrBling posted:

The thing I like most about the Magic lore is that I can completely ignore it and still play the game since it has no actual gameplay impact.

bro you`re a planeswalker

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm looking forward to the old border and new border camps uniting in their hatred for the M15 border.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ramos posted:

Reminds me of the Space Jam website.

...in how utterly rear end it was. I like the new frame and I like the future sight frame even more.

The space jam website is loving art you pleb

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Stinky Pit posted:

You know who went to Catholic school and had their cards confiscated during lunch?

<----This guy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

tzirean posted:

I'm looking forward to the old border and new border camps uniting in their hatred for the M15 border.

The new border is a sidegrade but I actually like the fact that they're going to a proprietary font that appears to have at least a bit of flair to it. From what I've seen so far, it captures a bit of what I liked about the old card name font. Overall I'd call the M15 card face a net upgrade for my tastes.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

I love the old border, but poo poo-brown artifacts suck. Although I'll admit I like the Judge promos of them, such as that one sword (Fire and Ice I think?), they're so... Retro? Not sure what I'm looking for.

And I loved what they did with the timeshifted cards, printing cards in the old frame with new wording/mechanics. It really was an interesting idea, and I'd wish they did more of it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

When did you start playing? All that cards I have any emotional connection to are ones that I've had since I started playing as a little kid. I couldn't care less about any cards I've gotten recently. A friend of mine pulled a Foil Shadowmage when the set first came out and people hounded him to trade it but he just wouldn't so they'd always make fun of him saying he was going to take it to his grave. He still has it to this day and I guarantee you that if I outlive him I will make sure he really does take it to his grave.

I'd say it's more like getting emotionally connected to a WoW character or something like that rather than a scrabble tile.

I started playing when I was 12, right about when 7th edition was released. I played some friends at a summer camp and have been playing fairly consistently since then.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

rabidsquid posted:

Do you even know the difference between a mono and poly artifact. Wow, they'll just let anyone play this game won't they.

Look at this scrub forgetting about continuous artifacts. I'm still mad that Howling Mine was the only one given errata to turn off while tapped. My Meekstones and Winter Orbs. :(

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

whydirt posted:

Look at this scrub forgetting about continuous artifacts. I'm still mad that Howling Mine was the only one given errata to turn off while tapped.
I just discovered last week that Trinisphere does the same thing, despite being the only artifact to do so, after years and years of doing away with the rules behind Continuous Artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

whydirt posted:

Look at this scrub forgetting about continuous artifacts. I'm still mad that Howling Mine was the only one given errata to turn off while tapped.

You're talking about poly artifacts!

Also I didn't know what mono or poly artifact meant when I was a kid so Icy Manipulator was a 4 mana artifact that turned all of my lands into Rishadan Port before Rishadan Port existed. Let me tell you Icy Manipulator was the nut card for aggro.

edit: I did forget about Continuous Artifacts!

• Locked thread