Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Aren't a lot of the "blue collar" comedians considered conservative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's certainly their schtick, and they sell it well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

To me he's about as close as you could get to a generally successful "conservative" comic.

Penn Jillette? Maybe Dennis Miller. I forgot about The Blue Collar Comedy dudes.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I forgot about The Blue Collar Comedy dudes.
Me too, because none of them are funny.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dennis Miller was successful before he branded himself a conservative, and his star has not stopped falling since he branded himself a conservative. While Penn is a massive lolbertarian, it's not a big part of his act. The Blue Collar guys are at best "culturally" conservative in that they joke about things one would associate with conservative rednecks, but their comedy has little or no politics in it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elephant Ambush posted:

In that their audiences lean rural, white, and old and they themselves wear a folksy, down home persona. Jeff Foxworthy sends his kids to a religious private school and Ron White likes to hang out at a rural bougie winery resort thing. But though they may be conservative in outlook they're not Conservative Comedians, in that they don't rely on politics as material.

e: I only know where Foxworthy's kids go to school because my girlfriend's little sister also attends this school and hangs out with his daughter, I'm not some creepshow stalker.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 19, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The BCC and Dennis Miller are both niche comic acts these days, and possibly fugazi in how Conservative they actually are. The water is also muddy because you can just be a white comic with poorly thought out race relation jokes and that will get you labeled as conservative because no one else thinks it's funny.

I think that's pretty much what happened to Dennis Miller, he rode some bad waves after 9/11 and decided he'd rather play to the people who were still laughing rather than figure out why most of the room just left.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dennis Miller was such a hero back in the Weekend Update days. God, my friends and I loved him so much.
I'm probably repeating myself but when Conan got his TBS show Dennis was a guest, and I tuned in hoping he'd be a good guest and be funny. Man, was I wrong.
In the first few sentences of the interview he just, completely out of left field and apropos of exactly nothing, a total non-sequitur, he crowbarred in some horrible mysoginistic comment about how ugly Nancy Pelosi is. I changed the channel but I was irrationally pissed as hell for awhile.
Didn't even know why, because it's not like I love Pelosi or anything, but it was just so low and uncalled-for.

I've hated his guts ever since.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Me too, because none of them are funny.

I find Ron White to be pretty funny. Maybe it's because I drink a lot.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Dennis Miller was such a hero back in the Weekend Update days. God, my friends and I loved him so much.
I'm probably repeating myself but when Conan got his TBS show Dennis was a guest, and I tuned in hoping he'd be a good guest and be funny. Man, was I wrong.
In the first few sentences of the interview he just, completely out of left field and apropos of exactly nothing, a total non-sequitur, he crowbarred in some horrible mysoginistic comment about how ugly Nancy Pelosi is. I changed the channel but I was irrationally pissed as hell for awhile.
Didn't even know why, because it's not like I love Pelosi or anything, but it was just so low and uncalled-for.

You have a link for this? I used to like some of Dennis Miller's stand up and liked him OK enough on SNL but I've never heard of the thing you're talking about. HAHAHAHA. Nancy Pelosi is unattractive. That's loving hilarious.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 19, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Opie and Anthony are pretty conservative; if you look up that bit with Louie CK and Donald Rumsfeld they're both slobbering on him and talking about how great they think he is before Louie manages to cut in and ask Rumsfeld if he and Dick Cheney are really lizard people who eat babies. They don't define themselves as "conservative comedy" but they are both of those things, which is the trick here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think Miller just went crazy after 9/11 like a lot of people, and unfortunately stayed that way.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BiggerBoat posted:

Penn Jillette? Maybe Dennis Miller. I forgot about The Blue Collar Comedy dudes.

Penn is about as pure libertarian as you can get. He is pro drug legalization, hates religion, is pro gay marriage and pro choice, is a swinger and then is all about no govt in anything. I don't really consider that conservative. Dumb or arrogant or misguided, but not conservative.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Penn is about as pure libertarian as you can get. He is pro drug legalization, hates religion, is pro gay marriage and pro choice, is a swinger and then is all about no govt in anything. I don't really consider that conservative. Dumb or arrogant or misguided, but not conservative.

His attitude about the disabled transcends conservatism. Or mirrors it depending who you ask.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

To me he's about as close as you could get to a generally successful "conservative" comic.

Norm MacDonald, Colin Quinn, Larry Miller, Nick DiPaolo, Mike Nelson- though he's not really a standup.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

You have a link for this? I used to like some of Dennis Miller's stand up and liked him OK enough on SNL but I've never heard of the thing you're talking about. HAHAHAHA. Nancy Pelosi is unattractive. That's loving hilarious.

I guess Ron White is ok.

No link, I don't want to see it again.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

In the first few sentences of the interview he just, completely out of left field and apropos of exactly nothing, a total non-sequitur, he crowbarred in some horrible mysoginistic comment about how ugly Nancy Pelosi is.

This is pretty much Miller in a nutshell. He used to make slightly obscure historical and cultural references. Now he makes fun of a senior citizen for having wrinkles.

WoodrowSkillson is correct. Penn is too far out on the lolbertarian limb to be called a conservative.

E: I wouldn't call Norm a conservative comedian. His act is mainly about laziness and sports. Larry Miller is just a standard "complain about modern life" comedian whose schtick leans grumpy instead of charming.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 19, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There's also a thing that I noticed, too, where the pundits would cite things like, "You see how they're attacking this conservative on this talk show or whatever in their comedy bits?! They'd never do that to a liberal!"

Then, when they DO it to a liberal, it's either ignored or flipped around to prove they're right because, "You see how unpopular and corrupt this liberal figure is now that even the leftist media is mocking them! They're finally waking up, people!"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

PeterWeller posted:

E: I wouldn't call Norm a conservative comedian. His act is mainly about laziness and sports. Larry Miller is just a standard "complain about modern life" comedian whose schtick leans grumpy instead of charming.

They're definitely both conservative, but that's the point- you wouldn't know that from their acts. The "conservative" comedians who suck do so because it's ideology first jokes second. Same thing with "christian" musicians, and all those conservative actors who bitch about the liberal Hollywood cabal blackballing them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Are they really? Where have they revealed their political leanings? I don't doubt you, but I'd like to read Norm's reasoning. Btw, isn't he Canadian?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

BiggerBoat posted:

I was scared that I was the only one.

Also, does Christopher Titus count as a conservative comedian?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Drew Carey is at the very least a registered Republican, if I remember correctly. Like many of the other politically conservative comics mentioned, he ultimately lean more in the direction of "I hate paying taxes" and "things are too PC these days" rather than "kill all A-rabs" or "theocracy rules".

Also, Chris Farley was very pious Catholic, but I don't know if that translated to politically conservative views or not.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dr. Faustus posted:

I guess Ron White is ok.

No link, I don't want to see it again.

I've only seen a Ron White bit once. He was on TV when I was at a friend's house. He said a bunch of sexist and homophobic stuff so I'd consider that conservative. He also had a really smug air about him like "Hey check it out I'm like Johnny Cash because I always wear black and aren't I suave and classy because I smoke expensive cigars and drink expensive whiskey on stage" and that made it even worse.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
loving CNN and Sippy Cupp:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/18/opinion/cupp-cbo-report-minimum-wage/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

quote:

Minimum wage hike's inconvenient truth
By S.E. Cupp
updated 8:06 PM EST, Tue February 18, 2014

'Crossfire' on the minimum wage wars
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

S. E. Cupp: New CBO report showing minimum wage hike could cost jobs flummoxes Dems
She says GOP has long held what CBO said; Dems are trying to spin hike as poverty-lowering
CBO says raising minimum wage could indeed take 900,000 people out of poverty, she says
Cupp asks: Is doing that while potentially losing 500,000 jobs worth it?

Editor's note: S.E. Cupp is co-host of the "Crossfire," which airs at 6:30 p.m. ET weekdays on CNN. She is also the author of "Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity," co-author of "Why You're Wrong About the Right," a columnist at the New York Daily News and a political commentator for Glenn Beck's "The Blaze."

(CNN) -- The new report out of the Congressional Budget Office confirms what Republicans have said all along: Raising the minimum wage could cost hundreds of thousands of jobs. Under normal circumstances, this would be a devastating blow to the Democrats.

But these are exciting times. Now, evidence of one thing from nonpartisan sources can be mined and manipulated to read as evidence of the opposite. Earlier, when the CBO said the Affordable Care Act could make 2 million Americans less likely to seek work, that was spun by the left as: Obamacare releases 2 million workers from the pressures of "job lock."

The minimum wage report is also being spun. In the moments after the report was released, Democrats were already pulling the "good" bits from the report to tout the strength of their prior arguments.

Both sides do that, of course.

But the problem with this is that the "good" talking point Democrats are celebrating is one that was never questioned. By anyone.

The "revelation" that raising the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour would increase hourly wages for millions of people hardly warrants the "I told you so" Dems want to deliver. It more warrants a "no duh." After all, is anyone truly surprised that paying people more money will mean they make more money?

Where Democrats can't get off so easy is on the news that raising the minimum wage will result in a loss of half a million jobs. Although some will try to shrug that off -- such as @benadgatemusic, who tweeted at me, "oh noooooo .03% of the workforce! Nice concern trolling, S.E." -- most serious folks will recognize that's no small number.
Should the minimum wage be raised?
Is it time to raise the minimum wage?
Obama: Raising wage is good for business

But time and time again, Democrats have insisted that raising the minimum wage will not result in less hiring despite everything you or I have ever learned about supply and demand economics.

Paul Krugman, for example: "The great preponderance of the evidence from these natural experiments points to little if any negative effect of minimum wage increases on employment."

Robert Reich, for another: "It has been raised consistently, and it has never actually killed jobs. In fact, there has been no relationship between raising the minimum wage and losing jobs."

President Barack Obama: There's "no solid evidence that a higher minimum wage costs jobs."

This puts Democrats in a tricky position. Instead of being a little less committed to an economic principle they should have known to be false, they doubled down. Now they're left explaining not only why raising the minimum wage is still a good idea but why they didn't seem to anticipate these findings.

They can spin this all they want. And I'll even throw them a bone -- the report also says that raising the minimum wage will reduce the number of people living in poverty by an estimated 900,000. That's a good thing.

The question we have to ask ourselves: Would that be that worth the potential loss of 500,000 jobs?

I can't even. "Should we grow the middle class? Is that a 'good thing?'"

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 20, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I've only seen a few of his bits, but he's pretty self depricating about his drinking. It's not like 90's Dennis Leary with his "I'm a real man because I drink and smoke and eat cheeseburgers in my Cadillac that gets 5 gallons a mile."

Thinking of it, the rear end in a top hat song was probably the high water mark of conservative humor being humorous and successful and that was in like '94.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

PeterWeller posted:

Are they really? Where have they revealed their political leanings? I don't doubt you, but I'd like to read Norm's reasoning. Btw, isn't he Canadian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0Hpa44f3c

It's not like he's super right wing or anything.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

comes along bort posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0Hpa44f3c

It's not like he's super right wing or anything.

Thanks. Though from that I don't get the sense he is conservative so much that he is playing to the audience. The only two policy stances he takes are pro-life and anti-death penalty. And he engages in some mild Hillary bashing, but I can't think of a 90's comic who doesn't.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Adam Corolla, though he obviously never did much stand up.
And, like a conservative, hit shitheadery has pushed him out of mainstream entertainment into a free podcast and the occasional appearance on The O'Reilly Factor.

When shock is your shtick, you tend to have a fairly limited shelf-life.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's pretty much the entire issue right there. Pelosi is a high-ranking politician and like all politicians says some really dumb stuff now and then that could totally be fodder for jokes, but instead "She's ugly! :hurr:" like even if we were to agree with that, why the hell does it matter and how is it funny? I remember in the clip of the Fox News Daily Show wannabe thing, out of the zillion things they could've legitimately criticized Obama for, they instead chose to make fun of how his initials are B.O. (You know, like BODY ODOR?!?!)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

There's also a thing that I noticed, too, where the pundits would cite things like, "You see how they're attacking this conservative on this talk show or whatever in their comedy bits?! They'd never do that to a liberal!"

Then, when they DO it to a liberal, it's either ignored or flipped around to prove they're right because, "You see how unpopular and corrupt this liberal figure is now that even the leftist media is mocking them! They're finally waking up, people!"

"They" (comedians) do it to liberals all the time, at least when there's a humorous angle to take on it. Think if all the classic send ups "liberal shows" like SNL, The Daily Show, The Tonight Show and The Colbert Report have done on Bill and Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, Obama, Carter, Dukakis, Kerry, Sharpton, Spitzer, Weiner, Jesse Jackson, David Patterson, Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, John Edwards, Cronkite and even Dennis loving Kucinich. That list goes on and on and they skewer their own constantly.

The more I think about it, it just seems like another avenue for conservatives to drive down that furthers their inferiority/persecution complex.

This might make a good thread topic if I can figure out a way to set it up.

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm not too sure about this statement. I think it depends on how you do it. Rush, Savage...poo poo, even Stern have been around for a long, long time.

MizPiz posted:

I was scared that I was the only one.

The only who drinks a lot or the only one who finds Ron White funny? Or both?

PeterWeller posted:

Dennis Leary...

Thinking of it, the rear end in a top hat song was probably the high water mark of conservative humor being humorous and successful and that was in like '94.

That song is/was pure satire and was making fun of conservative selfish assholes. Pretty sure you missed the point on that song/bit. I don't think it was celebrating assholism. At least I never took it that way.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 20, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Ron White isn't funny. I think it's safe to say that's an objective assessment, given that he's been around for ages and you only ever see him on the country music channel.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He's got funny bits, he just hasn't had any new ones for the past decade apparently.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I was gonna suggest Nick DiPaolo, but he really just comes off as a mean dickhead and bigot more than specifically conservative, although I guess that is pretty much the same thing these days. I saw him once at a comedy club in NYC and he did not tell a single joke during his entire set, just spent the whole time picking fights with people in the audience and checking his watch. What the gently caress.

Bunleigh fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 20, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KittenofDoom posted:

And, like a conservative, hit shitheadery has pushed him out of mainstream entertainment into a free podcast and the occasional appearance on The O'Reilly Factor.

It's more of the fact that Carolla has been repeating the same loving thing for close to a decade now. It's pretty bad when he's telegraphing it, and you as a listener can figure out what canned rant that he's done a billion times is coming up next.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

KittenofDoom posted:

Carolla was never really much about shock, and more about dispensing Andy Rooney-esque folksy common sense for the masses. He also actually doesn't seem to hate black people, birth control, gays, drugs, sex, and atheism. So in the 90's that made him kind of left wing because of the where the political spectrum was at the time. The libertarian movement didn't really exist outside of Birchers back then, and nobody was giving them the time of day.

With the rest of society moving further to the left of Carolla on a lot of that list of things he doesn't hate, Carolla kind of stayed put or moved rightward a smidge. He also has consistently been very prejudiced against Latino people. In the 90's nobody really cared so much about that because the front page news was more dominated by stuff like Rodney King and OJ.

With the immigration issues coming into the foreground more recently it has become very clear just how racist he is against Latino people. He hasn't really changed. I just think people didn't really notice. So society has kind of moved leftward, and left him behind. The libertarians eventually perfected his schtick.

Then he became a rich dude, significantly changed who he hung out with, and has spun off into an oblivion of "mah taxes" and "do you want to live in a society where pot is legal?" and "What if America just becomes Mexico, huh? What then, smart guy?" and "You didn't build that!" Also, despite being kind of actually somewhat intelligent, he has absolutely zero in terms of any wisdom outside of relationship advice. So he hangs around with all these right wing assholes, and doesn't know enough to understand they're actually working against 90% of his actual belief structure.

He's like the exact person Lee Atwater was talking about in that famous quote about how racial dog whistles work. Adam Carolla isn't smart enough to understand that the things right wing people say to him are things he actually disagrees with.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 20, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

That song is/was pure satire and was making fun of conservative selfish assholes. Pretty sure you missed the point on that song/bit. I don't think it was celebrating assholism. At least I never took it that way.

Maybe I did. I was 13 when that CD came out and I listened to it religiously. But being an rear end in a top hat was his whole schtick at the time, something he carried to his MTV appearances and his characters in films like The Ref and Suicide Kings. Maybe I fell victim to Poe's law. I never thought of it as a satire of the type.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not too sure about this statement. I think it depends on how you do it. Rush, Savage...poo poo, even Stern have been around for a long, long time.

To be fair, Rush and Savage operate more on the "simmering outrage" than shock. They'll toss out some real out-there-even-for-them bombast periodically, but their bread and butter is keeping the hatefires stoked and smoldering.

Stern is...well, he's Stern. Though unless you're a dedicated SXM listener you've probably not heard his name for a decade now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ErIog posted:

Then he became a rich dude
There's a lot of "I was a broke-rear end poor person for most of my life, I managed to become a zillionaire through hard work and talent, why can't other poor people just do the same as me?" in his routine. I made it out of poverty / therefore anyone can make it out if they apply themselves / therefore poor people are just lazy or stupid and why should I have to subsidize them? Plus, he has almost an infinite supply of stories about the drug-addled screwups he worked with when he was hanging drywall for $50/day, as if they encompassed the entirety of the working poor or their dysfunctions weren't the result of their poverty and not the cause.

It's a good way to get a lucrative audience of middle and upper-middle class listeners, forever reinforcing their just-world view of society.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think you can be a "conservative/libertarian" and be funny if you're able to balance things correctly.

For example, Mike Nelson is naturally funny and doesn't seem to push his politic beliefs all that much. The times he has done jokes revolving around politicians have been stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9lWeJQq_Y

It doesn't come off as disrespectful, and is rather hilarious.

I don't agree with Penn Jillette on a lot of the things he believes in, but it doesn't seem to come off as outwardly racist/homophobic in anyways. The policies he advocates? Are terrible. But at least he kind of calls out social conservatives on their bullshit, along with other groups of awful people (like 9/11 Truthers. I agree with his thoughts, that if you see one, you should throw them down a flight of stairs).

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

FMguru posted:

There's a lot of "I was a broke-rear end poor person for most of my life, I managed to become a zillionaire through hard work and talent, why can't other poor people just do the same as me?" in his routine. I made it out of poverty / therefore anyone can make it out if they apply themselves / therefore poor people are just lazy or stupid and why should I have to subsidize them? Plus, he has almost an infinite supply of stories about the drug-addled screwups he worked with when he was hanging drywall for $50/day, as if they encompassed the entirety of the working poor or their dysfunctions weren't the result of their poverty and not the cause.

It's a good way to get a lucrative audience of middle and upper-middle class listeners, forever reinforcing their just-world view of society.

I listened to Corolla pretty religiously up until he spun off his own podcast. When he didn't have anybody as a check to his ego he really jumped on the "mah taxes" bandwagon.

Just because he got a lucky break into showbiz doesn't make him an ubermensch. Without those midlevel showbiz people telling him off and having to deal with actual callers he lost his touch with reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Intel&Sebastian posted:

To me he's about as close as you could get to a generally successful "conservative" comic. If you dig any further down than his act and a few aspects of his public persona though it is liberal turtles all the way down.

His podcast kind of highlights exactly where he is: Half psychadelic be-nice-to-everyone-guy and when that gets exhausted he reverts to 90's male comedian guy who bemoans everything becoming PC.

Norm McDonald, who looks and sounds suspiciously like Adam Carolla.