Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

whydirt posted:

Look at this scrub forgetting about continuous artifacts. I'm still mad that Howling Mine was the only one given errata to turn off while tapped. My Meekstones and Winter Orbs. :(

Didn't Winter Orb have the errata for a while, then they went back to printed wording? I think Howling Mine's deal was that it got reprints with the "turns off while tapped" wording and that's why it got grandfathered in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Could be! I still think it's funny that Flying Carpet got errata to not be destroyed if the creature it was buffing died. And it was made a rare!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bosushi! posted:

You know who went to Catholic school and had their cards confiscated during lunch?

<----This guy.

Did you ever get them back? What were they?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I love the old border, but poo poo-brown artifacts suck. Although I'll admit I like the Judge promos of them, such as that one sword (Fire and Ice I think?), they're so... Retro? Not sure what I'm looking for.

And I loved what they did with the timeshifted cards, printing cards in the old frame with new wording/mechanics. It really was an interesting idea, and I'd wish they did more of it.

Newer printings of the old frame are so crisp and good looking. The Time Spiral timeshifted cards with the old frames look so good compared to cards from older sets.

That being said, I have to admit that the new frame is a hell of a lot more readable from a distance. I've always felt that the Planar Chaos timeshifted frames struck the best balance between "new frame design" and "old frame feel". The colors and background patterns are much closer to the old frames on those.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm still mad about my two Baron Sengirs getting stolen in 7th grade.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

If you never had to make a deck filled with angels and nice cards to show your mom because someone at work told her the game was Satanic then you're not allowed to have an opinion on anything related to Magic.

My mom once basically had an intervention with me when I was like 13, confronting me asking me who "Redman" was. I'm guessing she overheard me and a friend saying "red mana," misheard it, and then assumed it was a euphemism for Satan.

If only I'd been into better music, I could have given her a copy of "Whut? Thee Album" fresh off the shelves rather than staring at her like a dog that's been shown a card trick.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I've always thought it was weird how there was so much variation in color saturation (don't kill me if I'm not using the right printing jargon!) in old frame card faces while the card back has been pretty consistent. Anyone with better knowledge about printing processes have some idea why that might have happened?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

L0cke17 posted:

If you think the new border is better than the old border you are not only wrong, but also blind. Next people will be saying artifacts should have a silver frame instead of a brown one and that that newfangled tap symbol is actually better than spelling out the words.

Guess what? All of these things are true.

Livingtrope posted:

The old borders are bad, Jace is cool, and anarchy reigns

On the other hand, :frogout:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

I've always thought it was weird how there was so much variation in color saturation (don't kill me if I'm not using the right printing jargon!) in old frame card faces while the card back has been pretty consistent. Anyone with better knowledge about printing processes have some idea why that might have happened?

I think they intentionally shifted it between sets, like they tried a paler look for Revised then went dark again with 4th and Ice Age, but yeah, it's weird how few printing errors there were on the backs of the cards. Maybe they printed blank-on-one-side card stock by the ton ahead of time and so had more chance for QA whereas the fronts were printed and packaged all in one go?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

All of you "I started playing in Dark Ascension" scrubs have no appreciation for the history and character ingrained in the old border. The new border is just web 2.0 15 degree tilt logo poo poo. The old border reminds you that you're playing a card game about dragons, not collecting pictures of angry birds.

I've played since revised :corsair: but I hate when things don't match so I have to play modern and new frames, gently caress legacy with a delver and a dual land and a FS goyf you can't mix poo poo like that. I'm going to play legacy affinity with FTV ancient tombs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

whydirt posted:

If I had to take a wild guess it might be because they knew they couldn't afford to print excessively 'marked' card backs, but the fronts were more :effort: and/or a place to try saving on ink costs.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Twenty years of changing printing technology in a company with varied levels of stock in that time will do some lovely things to the continuity of your cards. It's also why we're seeing stuff like new card frames and double faced cards a lot, because they have the tech to get fancy and that's exactly what they plan to do.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

I've played since revised :corsair: but I hate when things don't match so I have to play modern and new frames, gently caress legacy with a delver and a dual land and a FS goyf you can't mix poo poo like that. I'm going to play legacy affinity with FTV ancient tombs.

If they ever break the reserve list it's gonna be for the spergs like you.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I like the new frames better and honestly dislike the old frames because of how entrenched they are in wizard-with-pointy-hat fantasy flavor. The new frames are much more agnostic to their setting than the old frames were, which means that the frame makes sense in a regular fantasy world or Mirrodin or Theros.

Also I really hate wizard-with-pointy-hat Ye Olde Fantasy and I'm very happy with how far Magic has distanced itself from it.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Kabanaw posted:

I like the new frames better and honestly dislike the old frames because of how entrenched they are in wizard-with-pointy-hat fantasy flavor. The new frames are much more agnostic to their setting than the old frames were, which means that the frame makes sense in a regular fantasy world or Mirrodin or Theros.

Also I really hate wizard-with-pointy-hat Ye Olde Fantasy and I'm very happy with how far Magic has distanced itself from it.

This guy gets it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

My mom once basically had an intervention with me when I was like 13, confronting me asking me who "Redman" was. I'm guessing she overheard me and a friend saying "red mana," misheard it, and then assumed it was a euphemism for Satan.

If only I'd been into better music, I could have given her a copy of "Whut? Thee Album" fresh off the shelves rather than staring at her like a dog that's been shown a card trick.

Hahaha yes! This was such a ubiquitous experience if you started playing at a certain time.

loving kids these days have no respect.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I started playing around 1999 but I was already like 16 years old and had progressive parents so it was cool :cool:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
The modern frames looks sterile, soulless and boring, which I guess fits with the current style guided art.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
People thought pokemon was santanic too! But not yugioh, weirdly enough, despite that game having a low rent magic flavor.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

netcat posted:

The modern frames looks sterile, soulless and boring, which I guess fits with the current style guided art.

Yup. They looked so different than anything else you were going to buy at that time. It's important to remember how Magic immediately transcended the local traditional games scene and found its way to middle school lunch tables. Kids we're buying booster packs at EB Games, we didn't know anything about DnD or Traditional Fantasy, we were living in a world of Frosted Tips and those metal ball necklaces, chains dangling from the empty wallets in our JNCO jeans.

Against the backdrop of the mid to late 90s, Magic was really unique looking and cool

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Stinky Pit posted:

Against the backdrop of the mid to late 90s, Magic was really unique looking and cool

This for sure. I remember seeing a copy of Natural Selection in elementary school and having my mind blown.

Edit: does not look as cool as I remember.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I started playing around 1999 but I was already like 16 years old and had progressive parents so it was cool :cool:

I started in 98 when I was about 12. My mom was really progressive and didn't care about it until I got addicted.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Boxn posted:

Did you ever get them back? What were they?

Yeah, I had to get my mom to write a note that said she allowed me to have them and then I had to agree not to bring it to school anymore.

It wouldn't have been the complete end of the world because I was just starting out and only had a precon deck supplemented by a few boosters. It was the black/white Urza's Saga precon.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 19, 2014

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Good: Started playing with Revised and didn't have to justify it to my parents because my dad and I played it together on Tuesday nights while my sister and mom were at girl scouts.

Bad: Started playing again at summer camp during Apocalypse and my 'friend' stole a bunch of other people's cards because he didn't have any of his own, then got fingered and hid all the cards with mine without telling me, so the counselors set all my cards out on a picnic table and told kids to come take back anything that was theirs, and they basically picked me clean because kids are awful.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

netcat posted:

New frames and obsessive style guides are the two worst parts of Modern

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I think the style guide is just fine. Worked well for Ravnica and Alara. I only came in around Scars so a lot of the old art doesn't really do anything for me. I'm used to ti though since I'm pretty sure L5R uses the same kind of thing and has fantastic art :shobon:

Really dislike the first Mirrodin block art though, apart from some rk posts' stuff.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cactrot posted:

old_frames.txt

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

netcat posted:

The new red and especially green borders are miles above the old ones. I don't care much about the others (though I do think they're an improvement, but Artifact is so much worse it isn't even funny.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Cactrot posted:

It wasn't just the art, the old frames with their cracks and imperfections were made to look old and worn. If you were a kid at the time buying electronic gaming monthly or buying a poster of that Prodigy album with the crab for your bedroom, that old worn and almost weathered look was just striking in comparison to all the clean bright and EXTREME poo poo that was being sold and advertised to you at the time.

It was so different, it captured your imagination I think, in a way the new modern frame, in its boring and bland homogenization never could.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Planar Chaos and Future Sight shifted cards look infinitely better than either the pre- or post-8th edition cards.

Compare Damnation to any version of Wrath of God.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Some Numbers posted:

Planar Chaos and Future Sight shifted cards look infinitely better than either the pre- or post-8th edition cards.

Actually I change my answer to this. The timeshifted borders are absolutely stunning.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Also, the old gold frames were horrible. Absolutely terrible.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

PrinnySquadron posted:

I think the style guide is just fine. Worked well for Ravnica and Alara. I only came in around Scars so a lot of the old art doesn't really do anything for me. I'm used to ti though since I'm pretty sure L5R uses the same kind of thing and has fantastic art :shobon:

Really dislike the first Mirrodin block art though, apart from some rk posts' stuff.

There is good art now too of course. I like the Esper art from Alara a lot and I think Innistrad managed to have a great, cohesive look without being boring, for example.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Stinky Pit posted:

Yup. They looked so different than anything else you were going to buy at that time. It's important to remember how Magic immediately transcended the local traditional games scene and found its way to middle school lunch tables. Kids we're buying booster packs at EB Games, we didn't know anything about DnD or Traditional Fantasy, we were living in a world of Frosted Tips and those metal ball necklaces, chains dangling from the empty wallets in our JNCO jeans.

I still remember standing as an awkward 11 year old with my mom at the entrance to the JNCO store at the local mall, having convinced my her I needed a pair after shamefully succumbing to peer pressure. Thankfully I came to my senses at the last minute and realized I was being a loving idiot and we turned away and never looked back.

This isn't magic-related at all and I didn't start playing til I was 25, but you triggered an extremely vivid memory.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

PrinnySquadron posted:

Also, the old gold frames were horrible. Absolutely terrible.

You're wrong because the old border clearly drove home the point that multicolor cards were more valuable and powerful than mono color ones.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

PrinnySquadron posted:

http://travistyofmagic.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-art-of-magic-art.html

Stinky Pit posted:

It wasn't just the art, the old frames with their cracks and imperfections were made to look old and worn. If you were a kid at the time buying electronic gaming monthly or buying a poster of that Prodigy album with the crab for your bedroom, that old worn and almost weathered look was just striking in comparison to all the clean bright and EXTREME poo poo that was being sold and advertised to you at the time.

It was so different, it captured your imagination I think, in a way the new modern frame, in its boring and bland homogenization never could.
This is exactly what I mean when I say that there's "character" in the old frames. I don't consider it any different today. I will also agree that the timeshifted cards are probably the best version of the old borders. (I'm putting together a foil set right now.) 7th edition was great except for the white borders. 7th foil supremacy.

Some Numbers posted:

Future sight borders are pretty awesome, but would probably be tiresome if they were more common. Colorshifted looks like trash. Damnation looks awesome because the art works so well. Stick the MPR Ron Spencer art on it and you'd be singing a different story: http://magiccards.info/mprp/en/24.html

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

http://travistyofmagic.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-art-of-magic-art.html
Future sight borders are pretty awesome, but would probably be tiresome if they were more common. Colorshifted looks like trash. Damnation looks awesome because the art works so well. Stick the MPR Ron Spencer art on it and you'd be singing a different story: http://magiccards.info/mprp/en/24.html

I can't help but love Ron Spencer because he still resides in the 90's.

I also collected Rage and he really fit well in that setting, so I have a soft spot in my heart.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

7th edition was great except for the white borders. 7th foil supremacy.

White borders look really neat and distinctive now that literally nothing comes in them and I like my generic unlimited/revised lands with white borders and game text more than anything else I saved from a 12 year magic hiatus.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I also like that the new frame is so much easier to change for stylistic reasons than the old one was. They can meld the day/night symbol into DFCs so that it looks natural in the design instead of something like the tombstone on Odyssey cards that kind of just floats there. They can easily give enchantment creatures a new border because they don't need to worry about making sure the background's new color doesn't make the name unreadable. The new border is much, much more functional than the old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think I really agree with him: he really seems to be reaching with Godless Shrine. I would also wonder if the photoshop complaint isn't just down to how some artists do their work, and older magic had some that way worse. Kozilek owns :colbert:

I do agree with him about Ron Spencer though.

• Locked thread