Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I don't have any hands on experience, but I read some reviews of the dual sport version of it last year when I was looking for a bike. This review compared it to the CRF250L and WR250R and it basically came out slightly behind the WR but said that it "won" their shootout when considering price. I think the supermoto version was only made for a year or two for the US but it should share a lot of aftermarket with the non-sm version.

The price is a little hard to get a read on since it's a bit of a rare bike, but that's around how much I paid for my WR250 which is 2 years older and 8000 more miles. If it's really as pristine as the ad implies it's probably not a terrible price. I don't understand what he means by "built new" in 2012 unless that just means it was crated at the dealership until then. It might be worth it to check it out and ride it around the guy's garage. Then "ride it around the block" and hope he doesn't hire Pug to steal it back from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spoilers dude, jesus

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Kawi is down on power compared to the WR. Fine for commuting in the city but less hoon potential.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Odd tire sizes too - smaller than most. I'd only recommend one if you can get a really screaming deal on it.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Here in the midwest we are experiencing the snowiest winter in our history. This week it suppose to be over 50 for a few days. Fingers are crossed that the slush is melted enough I can get a few wheelies in! I'm having withdraws.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Incursus posted:

Here in the midwest we are experiencing the snowiest winter in our history. This week it suppose to be over 50 for a few days. Fingers are crossed that the slush is melted enough I can get a few wheelies in! I'm having withdraws.

I'm gonna try to take the bike out a little bit tonight, if the roads look clear enough from sitting at 40 all afternoon.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Incursus posted:

My DRZ is parked behind an 8 foot tall pile of snow :(.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My (100-year-old) garage door opens sideways instead of upways and when the ground freezes, the door won't open. So both my DRZ and my M3 have been held hostage for the past 6 weeks. The next four days will hopefully help, as it's supposed to be 50 for at least two of those days and above freezing the other two.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So its actually above freezing today, and decent enough that I would ride the DRZ. However, the ground is still so cold that all the melting snow immediately freezes upon contact with it, creating a giant skating rink out of all the roads. So the DRZ will sit in its chamber of sadness for a while longer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tennessee is nice right now for another couple days (60+) so I've been riding the hell out of the WR. What a stupid fun little bike. Got stuck in traffic the other day so split for a while at the lights then took a shortcut across a field and a construction site, supermoto supremacy :hfive:

To make things better the cute receptionist at the insurance place thought the bike looked fun and I think I've convinced her to take the MSF. I'll likely be taking it a third time with her.

Today heading to a local dual-sport/ADV shop to see if I can find a tiny tankbag with a clear pocket.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 19, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

To make things better the cute receptionist at the insurance place thought the bike looked fun and I think I've convinced her to take the MSF. I'll likely be taking it a third time with her.

:hfive: SumoPimping. Incidentally, let me know if you had/have any luck talking the MSF people into any kind of a discount for your 2nd/3rd class. My girlfriend wants to take it, and I was planning on calling up and seeing if we could work something out for an un-filled class etc.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 19, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Street tires don't work so well on icy, muddy, springtime dirt roads. And it was a butt-clenchingly fun time.

edit: Here's me. Thanks acerbis fender!

ought ten fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 20, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stare: Thats amazing

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

If it did nothing else, at least my fender kept my crotch dry. I think that and my rear end were the only parts not covered in mud when I got home.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ought ten posted:

Even with the stock front mudguard you get destroyed in the wet on a Drz sm, the 17'' wheels are too small a diameter and throw the mud out past it.
I'm still trying to find a lower mudguard that will fit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echomadman posted:

Even with the stock front mudguard you get destroyed in the wet on a Drz sm, the 17'' wheels are too small a diameter and throw the mud out past it.
I'm still trying to find a lower mudguard that will fit.

Ice racers have already solved your problem

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

When I picked up my SMC at 4 PM on a Friday I didn't park it at my house until 10 AM the next morning after riding non-stop all night.

Nap + Oil change, and back on it until like 2 AM Sunday night. Sleep, work, repeat. I think I was approaching 2k miles on it by the following Friday.

When I picked up my ZX6R I put 1500 miles on it, totaled it, and had two surgeries in under two weeks. That's how it's done! Then I taught mootmoot how to ride over Skype.

GGPCin
Oct 19, 2004
College Slice
I was riding my new to me KTM 625 and wiped out in the dirt, in 75 degree AZ, the PO had installed axle sliders and bar end slides then the big 5 gal. tank and my leg saved the whole back end but my new problem is the bar holder is bent so the bars are off center and terrible to ride on. Can someone PM me a link to some replacements, and does anyone know if HDB Ultimate Handguards are any good? Thanks here is a picture of the damage that is ruining my fun.

This motard has changed me forever, I started on a '80 CM400t so going from puttering around to accidental wheelies and leaning over big time is awesome, I'm a new man.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think those are rubber mounted? If they are, just remove the handlebar bolts, the bottom bolt, and assess the damage. You might be able to re-align the rubber spacer and fix it that way. Otherwise, bolts and handlebar clamps - you can probably find some OEM replacements on ebay for cheap, as KTM tends to make those parts interchangeable.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

GGPCin posted:

I was riding my new to me KTM 625 and wiped out in the dirt, in 75 degree AZ, the PO had installed axle sliders and bar end slides then the big 5 gal. tank and my leg saved the whole back end but my new problem is the bar holder is bent so the bars are off center and terrible to ride on. Can someone PM me a link to some replacements, and does anyone know if HDB Ultimate Handguards are any good? Thanks here is a picture of the damage that is ruining my fun.

This motard has changed me forever, I started on a '80 CM400t so going from puttering around to accidental wheelies and leaning over big time is awesome, I'm a new man.

I have the HDB guards on my 625smc. They are fantastic and sturdy if a little expensive. I I do wish that I had gotten them anodized black. The only thing to watch it for is be patient and careful when you're tapping the handlebars so that the threading isn't a little crooked. The folding mirrors are nice and compact, but I think I would prefer more traditional mirrors for better rear visibility.

GGPCin
Oct 19, 2004
College Slice
Thanks everyone, I pulled everything apart and tried re-aligning it and that seems to have fixed it, bars seem pretty square now after remounting so I'm going to take it for a test ride to see if everything is good. Thanks again.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
After my first drop on the SMC my handlebars were just slightly bent on the left side for 4 years.

I replaced them only recently because there was a couple of cracks.

Replaced them with my buddies old 450SX dirt bars, they might be slightly crooked too, I couldn't be hosed to check.

Supermoto.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Re: front fender chat

The PO had an R6 (I think) front fender on the bike when it was street fightered. So that's an option.

Anyone know how much these are worth? I need to see if I can sell it.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Its getting up to 50 today so I dug my drz out of the snowpile it was under. Put a fresh battery in it and it started up the first turnover after a gratuitous choke setting. just need to buy some screws for the Acerbis plastics set I bought and change the oil and I should be pulling wheelies by 3.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Dammit! I opened up and polished up my electric starter and reinstalled it. This got the engine to spin over much faster, but the sprag clutch still wasn't engaging every time I hit the button. So, I followed a thread on ADV rider to replace the spring on the sprag clutch to improve lockup. I put on fresh gaskets, sealed the bike back up, and let the silicone gasket cure for two days.

I went to start it up today and the piece of junk spins freely. The drat thing locked up when I would turn it in my hand, or turn the engine over by hand, but when I hit the start button I just hear all of the gears turn, and nothing engages. :bang: (I should note that it did lock up a little, but nothing like I was hoping.)

Fortunately, I can still reliably start the engine with the kickstarter, but I'm at a loss for what to do now. I want to sell the bike, but I think this issue will be a big turnoff for any respective buyer. :(

If all the bike needs is a brand new sprag clutch, it's about a $73 part and a gasket or two to replace it. But I'm tired of tearing the thing open every other week and not riding it. Any ideas what I could sell it for if I listed it on CL now? It's got 14.4k miles; the chain, tires/innertubes have ~2k miles on them; HDB handguards with mirrorsr; vapor speedo; engine is 'uncorked with a rejetted carb; and regular oil changes. I'd like to get $4k, but with the current problem I'm thinking it might be better just to use it as a trade in at a dealer.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 22, 2014

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I went to try to start the DRZ yesterday, only to find that the battery was not happy with the -30 days we had in Wisconsin the other week.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Any ideas what I could sell it for if I listed it on CL now? It's got 14.4k miles; the chain, tires/innertubes have ~2k miles on them; HDB handguards with mirrorsr; vapor speedo; engine is 'uncorked with a rejetted carb; and regular oil changes. I'd like to get $4k, but with the current problem I'm thinking it might be better just to use it as a trade in at a dealer.

What year/where are you located?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

What year/where are you located?

I'm in Austin, TX. The bike is a 2005 model.

Edit: I also have a box of extra parts and things that would go with whoever bought it.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 23, 2014

Skumby
Jul 5, 2007
I'm Skumby dammit!!!!!!!

MetaJew posted:

Dammit! I opened up and polished up my electric starter and reinstalled it. This got the engine to spin over much faster, but the sprag clutch still wasn't engaging every time I hit the button. So, I followed a thread on ADV rider to replace the spring on the sprag clutch to improve lockup. I put on fresh gaskets, sealed the bike back up, and let the silicone gasket cure for two days.

I went to start it up today and the piece of junk spins freely. The drat thing locked up when I would turn it in my hand, or turn the engine over by hand, but when I hit the start button I just hear all of the gears turn, and nothing engages. :bang: (I should note that it did lock up a little, but nothing like I was hoping.)

Fortunately, I can still reliably start the engine with the kickstarter, but I'm at a loss for what to do now. I want to sell the bike, but I think this issue will be a big turnoff for any respective buyer. :(

If all the bike needs is a brand new sprag clutch, it's about a $73 part and a gasket or two to replace it. But I'm tired of tearing the thing open every other week and not riding it. Any ideas what I could sell it for if I listed it on CL now? It's got 14.4k miles; the chain, tires/innertubes have ~2k miles on them; HDB handguards with mirrorsr; vapor speedo; engine is 'uncorked with a rejetted carb; and regular oil changes. I'd like to get $4k, but with the current problem I'm thinking it might be better just to use it as a trade in at a dealer.

I suggest a gremlin bell.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I sold my 2006 625SMC in very similar condition/mileage (even had a broken starter!) for $4k on the east coast. Still regret selling it but it funded me living in France for six months so it was worth it.

If I didn't already own the perfect bike (fightered ZX10) I'd fly and ride it from you.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Skumby posted:

I suggest a gremlin bell.

The PO had one on it and I removed it. That must be the problem. ;)

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I sold my 2006 625SMC in very similar condition/mileage (even had a broken starter!) for $4k on the east coast. Still regret selling it but it funded me living in France for six months so it was worth it.

If I didn't already own the perfect bike (fightered ZX10) I'd fly and ride it from you.

That's reassuring. I'm thinking about picking up a used 2013 ZX6R ABS next (though the new 675R sounds super awesome). I would love to have another sumo, but I want to do more track days and have something I can expect to be reliable.

Perhaps a DRZ or 690 for a second bike once I'm no longer renting.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So does anybody have boot recommendations? Should I spring for say, the Gaernes with removable sliders, or just get some cheap MX boots?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

The PO had one on it and I removed it. That must be the problem. ;)

That's reassuring. I'm thinking about picking up a used 2013 ZX6R ABS next (though the new 675R sounds super awesome). I would love to have another sumo, but I want to do more track days and have something I can expect to be reliable.

Perhaps a DRZ or 690 for a second bike once I'm no longer renting.

Please, for the love of god, don't buy a new bike and take it to the track. :v:
Unless you're making GBS threads money, that is.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Please, for the love of god, don't buy a new bike and take it to the track. :v:
Unless you're making GBS threads money, that is.

Oh, definitely not new. Just new to me. There is a guy who buys bikes at auction. I don't think I'll be buying it, but it's a 13 ZX6R with 700 miles. List price should be around $7500.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Finally got round to fitting the new sprockets and chain I bought about 6 months ago -1 front +2 rear (15:44 instead of 16:42 stock on the UK/Aus SMC).

Wish I did it years ago, big improvement all round (would probably suck for highway but we don't have those so w/e).

Also pictured - new goldspeed race wet on the front :getin:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
There's a local guy selling an XR400R. This guy is known for putting together awesome bikes, so there's no doubt it's a good one.

Tell me I shouldn't buy this.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278794

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That would own. Knock a few hundo off for that terrible vapor mount job

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
That thing is loving awesome. Rough around the edges, but as long as the price is right that means you can dump it every day and not give a single gently caress. (more than usual for a supermoto at least)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've seen that XR400R on MotoHouston and Austin Craigslist as well. It looks like it would be cheap fun, but I don't know anything about the reliability of it or finding parts and that sort of stuff.

I've also listed my 625SMC for sale in the CA for sale thread and on Austin Craigslist. I hope I can find a good home for it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I'll be doing my taxes tonight and contemplating the baller xr just a bit more before pulling the trigger. The guy called me and we chatted about the bike.

• Locked thread