Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

This thing is neat, it's a quiz that guesses where you live basedon what words you use. I'm apparently Texas as poo poo.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

I'm hella california

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Apparently I talk like a New Yorker. Except I really don't. You Yanks have weird names for stuff. Kitty corner? Pineapple rain? Wtf.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Shannonmcn posted:

Apparently I talk like a New Yorker. Except I really don't. You Yanks have weird names for stuff. Kitty corner? Pineapple rain? Wtf.

Says the Irishwoman

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
i get rockford, honolulu, and aurora. i'm canadian, which was not within their coverage area, i guess.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Shannonmcn posted:

never once heard the term pineapple rain for that kind of thing but i can definitely say that in minnesota kitty-corner means "the diagnoal corner from this one"

thanks midwest for your bullshit colloquialisms

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Crow Jane posted:

And my vag seems to be in tip-top shape, if anyone was worried. The doctor thought the spiders were charming, and she put the flowers on her desk
glad to hear it :3:

Shannonmcn posted:

same here, at least it figured out that I was somewhere to the east :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

never once heard the term pineapple rain for that kind of thing but i can definitely say that in minnesota kitty-corner means "the diagnoal corner from this one"

people don't talk that weird here

people don't do anything weird here

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

canadians say kitty corner too

never heard pineapple rain

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Enfys posted:

No, that is actually what culling means. Killing the puppies was and still is in many places standard practice. Sterilisation is not the same thing as culling. In recent years, there has been increasing backlash for this practice (particularly in the UK after a documentary and various other media started drawing attention to it), so now they say that culling is just "preferred" but that sterilisation of healthy, ridgeless puppies for sale to pet owners is ok.

You have to consider though that there is no money to be made for a breeder selling a ridgeless puppy that literally cannot be given any papers and cannot be classified as part of that breed despite coming from two purebred parents. The people who want purebred Rhodesian Ridgebacks do not want them, and especially anyone who is breeding for show purposes is taking a huge risk by even letting other people know that their dogs produce puppies without the mutant ridge gene.

Show dog breeding and kennel club ethics having nothing to do with dog and puppy welfare.
I don't think they're ethical, I just figure they like cash. There are tons of idiots on the internet and in pet stores who are willing to pay for mutts from mills and mixes from backyard breeders, so a lack of pedigree shouldn't be an issue. Or couldn't they just get papers from the looser organization (I forget which is basically "dog exists," CKC?)?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"pineapple rain" sounds like a lovely calypso song from the 70s

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

It sounds like a euphemism for peeeeeeeee

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Pick posted:

techno remix of purple rain

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

some commik fart

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Pick posted:

I think it's when you shower in bong water

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Pick posted:

some commik fart

Pretty! I love the shading, and the hair looks fantastic

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

people don't talk that weird here

people don't do anything weird here

counterpoint: you live there

i got NC, it works well I guess

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 19, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i got providence, new jersey and new york

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Pick posted:

some commik fart

So prettyyyyy :allears:

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I'm okay with kitty-corner, but catty-corner is where I draw the line.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
I got Detroit/Toledo/Grand Rapids and this is not surprising in the slightest.

Least resembles was 3 cities in Massachusetts.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

geist hirsche posted:

I'm okay with kitty-corner, but catty-corner is where I draw the line.

That's what I say.

I did always think it was caddy-corner though

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I took this quiz a while ago and got 2 cities in MA and San Jose, CA. I haven't been to the bay area since 1998, and that was only for 2 days. I'm from MA but have only spent like a month there in the last 18 years.

My Dad is from Boston, but lives in Chicago with his wife. Who is from Pittsburgh. Talk about some jarring sppech issues.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
i took that and a while back and got "boston" though it was really red all over Maine, which is where I grew up

i took a look into the methods they used and they matched you to the closest city with 100K+ population, which no city in maine meets
lol

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

poopkitty posted:

I took this quiz a while ago and got 2 cities in MA and San Jose, CA. I haven't been to the bay area since 1998, and that was only for 2 days. I'm from MA but have only spent like a month there in the last 18 years.

My Dad is from Boston, but lives in Chicago with his wife. Who is from Pittsburgh. Talk about some jarring sppech issues.

My mom is the child of Polish and Lithuanian immigrants, and she grew up in Connecticut. Dad is the child of German Jewish immigrants, and grew up in Chicago. I talk weirdly enough that my fellow Americans sometimes ask what country I came from

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

This thing is neat, it's a quiz that guesses where you live basedon what words you use. I'm apparently Texas as poo poo.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

Looks like I'm from Lincoln, Des Moines or Rochester.

I am from Edmonton, Alberta.

Nice try, quiz.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i got nevada, colorado, and nebraska on that quiz

live in florida and my parents were from iowa

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 19, 2014

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Americans speak weird.

My Americanese English places me in random cities/towns/states so I don't know if I should be offended or not.

Do kitty and catty corner people get into fights when they meet?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
they roam the streets in leather jackets with brass knuckles and bike chains lookin for fights

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

My matches were Reno, Modesto and Boise. I live in San Fran, but was born and raised in the midwest (Indiana and Nebraska). I think I tricked it.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Crow Jane posted:

My mom is the child of Polish and Lithuanian immigrants, and she grew up in Connecticut. Dad is the child of German Jewish immigrants, and grew up in Chicago. I talk weirdly enough that my fellow Americans sometimes ask what country I came from

People often guess that I'm from Alabama. I don't sound in the last bit southern. I also don't sound Bostonian, although if I go home for as little as 2 days it comes back with a vengeance and I sound like an officer from COPS: Boston.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

My fiance broke that test out around Christmas, when lots of people were together with their SOs. Apparently some people have just never thought about how they talked, because putting my sister-in-law's boyfriend to the test was like pulling teeth, especially when it came to pronunciation. To be fair to him, he was the one who talked all weird in that circle, being the only one from outside the mid-Atlantic.

It could also be that he was having trouble understanding our Philly accents, ey.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Nessa posted:

Looks like I'm from Lincoln, Des Moines or Rochester.

I am from Edmonton, Alberta.

Nice try, quiz.

interesting we got completely different results despite both being western canadian

i think my results may have been thrown off by crayfish though which i picked up in england

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

toe knee hand posted:

i think my results may have been thrown off by crayfish though which i picked up in england
we call them yabbies but crayfish is considered the fancy name for them

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
owns

i love that hair

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I'm a kiwi but I took the quiz anyway and apparently the place in the US I would be most comfortable talking to people is New York

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Maybe people from New York talk the most like normal people.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I just stumbled across a post I made a few months ago that I have absolutely zero recollection of making. I don't even remember going to that subforum at any point in the past, much less posting there, much less shitposting in a thread that did not lend itself to shitposting.

It's kind of unnerving.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pick posted:

some commik fart

That hair is incredible. I love the detail and focus of that panel as it contrasts with the others.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Shannonmcn posted:

Maybe people from New York talk the most like normal people.

I don't see what else it could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Avshalom posted:

we call them yabbies but crayfish is considered the fancy name for them

if I hadn't worked in england i would have picked "never heard of/no word" for them. not really a thing here in west coast canada.

• Locked thread