Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Might i ask: Do you do a lot of research? Or is this mostly prior knowledge?

Anyways thanks for making this quality lp

The amount of prior reading can vary from one topic to another, but I always try to find a source or two to back up whatever I'm saying. Still, all the words and opinions are my own. I've always been the sort of person who's interested in a little bit of everything; I'd never have considered doing something like this if I weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

An interesting thing, Ford is actually supposed to appear in Smugglers place from now on (or maybe from the next time your in hell's kitchen), but some weird bug is preventing that. He's apparently supposed to give some fluff dialogue about nano augmentation/the gray death I think, and also give you an upgrade canister. I think you can still force him to spawn via the console when your at Smuggler's and he'll behave how he is supposed to.

The Shifter mod adds his dialogue back, and puts him and Smuggler on a couch instead of walking around. Also makes all the water in the MJ12 sewer area blood red so you know it's evilickynastybad.

Spoilers for later sequences, unless you just want to watch Ford talk about things that would make Human Revolution's plot pretty silly, or suggest it didn't happen. :ssh:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I just specifically remembered that when I played I always blocked those blue beams with crates/other objects so I could save on a multitool. I always used the bug with the lockpick/tool too so I never had to skill them up.

By the way, I finally went and tested the blue beams in Smuggler's place. Sure enough, the moment I tossed a crate in front of the lasers Smuggler's robot came out and tried to kill me. If lasers can be blocked by objects and not set them off, I'm just about certain it's something a mod added and not a feature of the base game itself.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

By the way, I finally went and tested the blue beams in Smuggler's place. Sure enough, the moment I tossed a crate in front of the lasers Smuggler's robot came out and tried to kill me. If lasers can be blocked by objects and not set them off, I'm just about certain it's something a mod added and not a feature of the base game itself.

Maybe their confusing that mechanic with Invisible War. Anyway I always used thermoptic camo to pass by laser beams.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

I think you can block red beams with stuff and not set them off, but blue beams will trigger on anything.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Hermetian posted:

I think you can block red beams with stuff and not set them off, but blue beams will trigger on anything.

More like, you can throw/move a crate into red beams and an alarm will go off, but you can bail and/or turn off the alarm at a panel, and if you come back the beams are still blocked, you can move through/past/around them by the space created by the crate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't fire extinguishers block lasers?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Can't fire extinguishers block lasers?

I'm pretty sure I remember fire extinguishers and maybe the pepper spray too being able to block some of the beams.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

J.theYellow posted:

The Shifter mod adds his dialogue back, and puts him and Smuggler on a couch instead of walking around. Also makes all the water in the MJ12 sewer area blood red so you know it's evilickynastybad.

Spoilers for later sequences, unless you just want to watch Ford talk about things that would make Human Revolution's plot pretty silly, or suggest it didn't happen. :ssh:

I think that actually goes hand in hand with DXHR's plot. Augs there do cause nerve damage, and its only with Jensen's modified DNA that they can be safely integrated--this includes nanoaugs. So depending on how prevalent that discovery becomes in the intervening time--and the Powers That Be™ might not let it slip too far from their vest--the problem could still remain in most of the population. Shick's basically reapproaching the issue from another direction.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember fire extinguishers and maybe the pepper spray too being able to block some of the beams.

It took me some doing, but I have now confirmed that pepper spray can safely block laser beams. The spray only works for a fraction of a second, though, so you basically have to run forwards as you spray and hope in the meantime that the lasers don't originate from two different walls (I tested the trick on the lasers in the Battery Park subway. The results weren't pretty). While I can believe fire extinguishers work the same way as pepper spray, I have also discovered the clouds produced by gas grenades are enough like objects that they will, in fact, trip the alarm.

Hermetian posted:

No good, I tested the red beams first two pages ago.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I honestly remember it differing not between laser colours, but between individual lasers. One laser I'm almost certain can be blocked (but it's quite a bit of plot away) is a laser set in the Universal Constructor area in Hong Kong.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can definitely block the blue lasers that set off the explosives in the subway station.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I only found the sewer base in my third playthrough of this game and it just melted my mind. Especially because they're IN THE WATER SUPPLY.

One of the neatest things about playing DX over and over again is the sheer amount of subtly changed dialogue depending on what you do when.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dabir posted:

You can definitely block the blue lasers that set off the explosives in the subway station.

I finally got a positive confirmation. This would appear to indicate that obstructing lasers is something that works on a case-by-case basis, and also that laser color has nothing to do with whether obstruction will work or not. Also, since I had tried the pepper spray on those lasers in particular, I went and tried it again on the Liberty Island lasers (which I also confirmed set off the alarm when blocked) and found that the spray does in fact work on regular lasers as well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dabir posted:

Oh yeah! Those were the ones I always blocked with crates back then, I remember now. Still weird that it differs from laser to laser then.

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

One of the neatest things about playing DX over and over again is the sheer amount of subtly changed dialogue depending on what you do when.

And one thing that is lost in the sequel and only sorta there in the prequel.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

J.theYellow posted:

Excellent, another man following the fine tradition of collecting every pack of fags in the game.

If you throw them all into the corner of a room you build an impressive stack.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Throw them? Please. Stand in the corner, open your inventory, select them and mash on the Drop button. Close the inventory and you've got yourself a game of Jenga my friend.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
Just want to say that this is a fantastic LP and I really like your lecture corners at the end.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

mossyfisk posted:

Excellent, another man following the fine tradition of collecting every pack of fags in the game.

If you throw them all into the corner of a room you build an impressive stack.

How many cigarettes total are in the game? Has anyone bothered counting?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine what HR would've been like if the percentage of clutter you could actually pick up and inventory were the same as the original DX.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Slavvy posted:

Imagine what HR would've been like if the percentage of clutter you could actually pick up and inventory were the same as the original DX.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I loved that part of Human Revolution. The first time I walked past it I did a double-take.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

To be fair, pretty much everything you can pick up in HR is really useful in some way, while half the items you find in Deus Ex are candy bars, soy foods and cigarette packs.

I don't think either game is better in that particular regard.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Sindai posted:

I loved that part of Human Revolution. The first time I walked past it I did a double-take.

They talked in the Director's Cut about how it was supposed to be a modern art installation.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

I finally got a positive confirmation. This would appear to indicate that obstructing lasers is something that works on a case-by-case basis, and also that laser color has nothing to do with whether obstruction will work or not. Also, since I had tried the pepper spray on those lasers in particular, I went and tried it again on the Liberty Island lasers (which I also confirmed set off the alarm when blocked) and found that the spray does in fact work on regular lasers as well.
Quality programming! :v:

Pepper Spray always works, but everything else is case-by-case. I guess that's a reason to carry around pepper spray.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

unfair posted:

They talked in the Director's Cut about how it was supposed to be a modern art installation.

I somehow played through the game twice and never noticed it until I listened to the commentary. Indeed, I barely noticed any of the 'artsy' rooms and areas in HR for some reason. When I think of it in my mind I just picture the two cities, and various blocky corridors etc. The commentary really opened my eyes to all the cool architectural stuff they did which I never notice for some reason.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Dabir posted:

Throw them? Please. Stand in the corner, open your inventory, select them and mash on the Drop button. Close the inventory and you've got yourself a game of Jenga my friend.

I do this in real life. I have a stack from the windowsill to the corner. Unfortunately I switched brands and the one I smoke now won't stack as well. It makes me sad.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Thesaya posted:

I do this in real life. I have a stack from the windowsill to the corner. Unfortunately I switched brands and the one I smoke now won't stack as well. It makes me sad.

How do you organise your inventory? Can you carry multiple knives?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Slavvy posted:

I somehow played through the game twice and never noticed it until I listened to the commentary.

Same here. I blame the fact that it was the same washed-out yellow as everything else.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dragonwagon posted:

Same here. I blame the fact that it was the same washed-out yellow as everything else.

Overall I was really disappointed in the commentary, but one of the ones I did really like was towards the very beginning, they pointed out how the entire game is littered with empty paintbuckets with golden pain, as a joke about how some much of the game is gold.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

On the other hand, you have them forgetting why they would name a giant structure that separates a town that's mostly blue collar on the ground from a white-collar town on the sky that's mostly futuristic and in a way heavenly "Pangu".

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 20, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Floof was better anyways :colbert:

The reason the commentary wasn't that great was it was 80% them complaining about how something sucked, how they weren't able to do something they wanted to do, or how they weren't happy with how something turned out.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
My local newspaper's nostalgia bit put up this old article about fluoridation today.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Huh. I'm not the most observant of videogame players, so I'm not surprised I missed that entirely.

The DE:HR commentary is fairly bad in terms of content, but absolutely bloody awful in terms of execution. Youtubing it is far better than trying to listen to it in the game - I would literally put on youtube in the background as I played instead of triggering the actual in-game commentary.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or does smuggler give of a Drebin (from mgs4) vibe?

Edit: They have the same voice actor, huh go figure.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Edit: They have the same voice actor, huh go figure.

Yowzers, talk about typecasting

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Been watching the LP, I'm digging the Conspiracy corner stuff. It really helps with setting the theme of the story. I could recommend some more cyberpunk novels to peruse for any enthusiasts but afaik they have little to do with Deus-Ex tier content.

Also, one thing stood out to me in one of the episodes

quote:

Activate: Candy Bar

I really want to see something silly like JC trying to interface with it, or the candy bar is actually automated for consumption.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
My chocolate is augmented. With nougat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

OAquinas posted:

My chocolate is augmented. With nougat.

Actually, if you ever read the descriptions you'd know that the CHOC-O-LENT brand candy bars are augmented with people (85% recycled material!) and the Soy Food is augmented with mechanochemical nanomachines which heat the food as you eat it.

Deus Ex has a very dark sense of humor, something we'll see on display in the next video, too.

• Locked thread