Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Popcorn posted:

No, I just want it to sustain while I hold the note. This is purely me being poo poo at Zebra.

Right :v:

Uh, well, are you sure there's not a lowpass set to cutoff = 0 and the envelope of that has a sustain of 0? Turn the filter cutoff down enough and you get something that's pretty much silence, too.

Or perhaps someone routed another envelope to the individual oscillator levels or something.

The secret of synthesis is figuring out dependencies :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Might be that Zebra presets aren't 100% compatible with Zebra|CM and weirdness is happening. Suggestions above are good though, check those first.

Popcorn posted:

e: oh wait, I think I figured out what you mean about level and not time. right, hm.
Whenever you can set some sort of fixed sustain time, that's called a hold phase in envelope parlance. Hence, if it's called sustain, it sets the sustain level.

Just general bit of trivia, because that's not what you were talking about after all.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 4, 2014

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Watching Zebra 2 tutorials and it turns out Zebra2 is awesome and also makes way more sense than ZebraCM, which looks like some sort of 90s biomechanical control panel.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 4, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

How do I make this sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhK82a4nZMk

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Take a distorted/amplified guitar sample, give it around .2 seconds of attack, and run it through a very fast delay with 100% feedback. Automate the feedback down to end the note.

That's my guess anyway.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Troglyfe posted:

Take a distorted/amplified guitar sample, give it around .2 seconds of attack, and run it through a very fast delay with 100% feedback. Automate the feedback down to end the note.

That's my guess anyway.

It has those harmonics at the end of it so I think it might be a distorted violin. But thanks!

Halloweenhead
Jan 26, 2009

~*4 walls & adobe slabs*~
http://vimeo.com/32863928

Any ideas how to achieve this particular guitar tone? I'm thinking compression, chorus, delay (digital slapback?), EQ and reverb. But if anyone who has a better ear for this sort of thing, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Any ideas on how to recreate this guitar tone? It's one of the best sounds in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGLqXZ-f70

Halloweenhead
Jan 26, 2009

~*4 walls & adobe slabs*~

Popcorn posted:

Any ideas on how to recreate this guitar tone? It's one of the best sounds in the world.

To me it sounds like a pretty basic clean electric guitar tone, possibly could be strung with flat-wound strings due to the seeming lack of 'sparkle' and roundness on the wound strings. I think you could get close here with just about any decent guitar on the neck pickup played through a clean Fender tube amp. I'm guessing that it was Jackson Browne who played the guitar on this track, so maybe you can do a search and see if there's any info on what gear he's typically associated with.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Popcorn posted:

neck pickup on a single coil guitar. Into an old Fender amp. Listen to Pale Blue Eyes or New Age by Velvet Underground for more of the same.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Halloweenhead posted:

To me it sounds like a pretty basic clean electric guitar tone, possibly could be strung with flat-wound strings due to the seeming lack of 'sparkle' and roundness on the wound strings. I think you could get close here with just about any decent guitar on the neck pickup played through a clean Fender tube amp. I'm guessing that it was Jackson Browne who played the guitar on this track, so maybe you can do a search and see if there's any info on what gear he's typically associated with.

It is Jackson Browne and it's a fingerpicked electric. To my ears it sounds like a tele neck pickup with the tone rolled off.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Ive run into another problem. I have been messing around with distortion, and right now I am using a vst that came with flstudio 10 called hardcore. I am using it because it is the only vst I can find that has a cabinet and all the stuff that goes with it. Anyway, I have not been able to make my guitar sound the way I want it to. My problem is that the guitar sound is too light.

I am wanting to make it sound like the ones at 0:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOaRNFsCPoY.
Instead, all I have been able to get sounds like the one at 3:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pS7yQ9M63M

I know I am doing something wrong, but dont know what.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Play deeper notes :) An EQ hole in the high mids helps to get that heavy metal sound.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You're palm-muting, right?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I am now. I'm closer now, but not close enough.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
Also don't forget that a part of what you're perceiving as the guitar sound is an overdriven bass an octave lower than the electric guitar itself. Your actual guitar sound will be smaller than you think because you don't have a bass following your palm chugs. Listen to how the bass plays by itself after the palm muted guitar, then listen to what the guitar adds back in. The bass is carrying most of the power, the guitar is adding high mids and treble which lends shape to what the bass is doing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I am the M00N posted:

I am now. I'm closer now, but not close enough.

Tune your guitar down and try overdubbing (more guitars with less gain tend to sound bigger than less guitars with more gain). You can also try recording one clean track to give your track definition and mix it with your distorted tracks. And as wayfinder said, cut those mid-high frequencies. Mess with 2k-4k and 60-100 until it sounds nice and tight. 700 is another place where I find a lot of resonance that is good for cutting through a mix but bad for heaviness. Basically play around with an EQ and use your ears. :)

Here is a guide to frequencies so you can have a better idea of what to dick around with.

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 7, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
How might one create that old classic capcom/Nintendo guitar sound like the one Here (0:34). I hear it used in a lot of Mega Man games and whatnot, and it sounds synthesized rather than played live.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about digital vsts and the like, but I'm lost when it comes to amp/cabinet modelling and how to get that sound.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Poizen Jam posted:

How might one create that old classic capcom/Nintendo guitar sound like the one Here (0:34). I hear it used in a lot of Mega Man games and whatnot, and it sounds synthesized rather than played live.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about digital vsts and the like, but I'm lost when it comes to amp/cabinet modelling and how to get that sound.

It's a MIDI sampling of a guitar. You can reamp it to get it to sound smoother but it'll always have that processed sound to it as long as you write it out in MIDI. This website seems to have a usable sample in the event that your DAW doesn't have digital instruments on it. From there it's a matter of making it sound smooth (a bit of reverb, cut the treble and add mids on whatever amp sim you're using, and don't be afraid to use multiple plug-ins for distortion, chorus is also good) and compressing it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Edit: Removed. With your help and using a cleaner sample to begin with I was able to get a satisfactory sound by tweaking the '80s solo' preset in Guitar Rig. Thanks!

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 9, 2014

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks, everyone, for the These Days advice!

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Hey guys!

I'm getting into production, and trying to teach myself by recreating sounds. I'm a bit stuck, though. I'm trying to figure out how to produce two pretty dark, psychedelic sounds in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FBin6C7WBs (Alek Szahala - Freezing Clouds)

Particularly, the nasty, gated sawtooth-y sound that starts at 0:21 and the heavily automated sound at 1:32 (starts a bit earlier, but the automation really gets going around then).

I can tell there's some crazy filtering going on, but I really feel lost when a lot of filtering is involved. I just don't really know where to start with either sound.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure the artist just used Reason and its built-in synths for the track. (I use FL Studio + soft synths)

Thanks in advance! :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Flanky posted:

Particularly, the nasty, gated sawtooth-y sound that starts at 0:21 and the heavily automated sound at 1:32 (starts a bit earlier, but the automation really gets going around then).
I think the second sound is just the first sound with lowpass filtering and a phaser on top of it, from listening to the run-up to it.

I don't have my gear here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the main idea of the first sound consists of unison saws/squares (I don't know) through a waveshaper/clipper kind of thing.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Poizen Jam posted:

The method of synthesis used is common on lots of older sample libraries and romplers, which had to deal with lots of memory constraints.

One of the ways to get around a memory constraint in sampling is to chop the sound up in two parts: the attack and the sustained part.

The attack in this case is the "tshak" you hear when you pick a string. The sustained part of the sound is usually a simple single-cycle waveform. This means that instead of storing a sample of several seconds you only have to sample two very short parts; the attack is in several milliseconds, and the single-cycle waveform is a handful of bytes. Even better; the initial attack can be stored at 2 times the speed - pitching it down will still retain most of the character and you've saved memory - again.

Several software samplers allow for this kind of compositing. The rest - volume changes, pitch changes, etc. is handled by the actual synthesizer part of a sampler. If you would take a synth and replace the basic waveforms in the oscillators (saw, square, etc.) with a digital recording; well, that's basically what lots of samplers are.

Memory constraints like that influence the resulting character significantly; sometimes it's charming, sometimes it's grating. Listen to the piano patch on http://www.synthmania.com/m1.htm - totally not realistic, but heard in an awful lot of classic house where it's a signature sound. If you want to get it as authentic as possible, use a sampler and don't even bother with Guitar Rig or any FX beyond simple delay, short reverb or doubling (chorus) - anything else is too highbrow. Yes - the GC had pre-recorded CD-quality music but the technique is still effective if you want lots of songs and need the space for other things.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 10, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ableton has an absolutely wonderful set of built in sampled guitar patches that emulate just that style of sampling, thankfully. Clean samples based on quick attacks and short loops. Definitely higher grade than the sampling techniques you mentioned, but it will do. Even has some nice effects like slides,squeels, fret noise and whatnot built in. You'd suggest forgoing Guitar Rig altogether- so like, no amp/cabinets? I was able to get a satisfactory sound using the '80s solo' preset on Guitar Rig, tweaking the mids, lowering the distortion, then doubling the guitar track down 5 steps or up 7.

And what luck, I picked up the Korg M1 from the Legacy Collection not that long ago. I've been using it mostly for tuned percussion, mostly bells and the like. I recognized so many of the samples on the page you linked but just hadn't dug deep enough into the VST to find them, as the M1 VST comes with lots of expansion presets that pretty much burried the factory ones from the original.

Edit: Also very pleased to learn the Korg M1 is responsible for the Seinfeld theme's characteristic bass. And here I actually thought it was played.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 12, 2014

Gorreus
May 27, 2013

look into my eyes and say that
Can anyone give me an idea as to how to recreate the Ratatat sound on guitar? I guess the easiest example would be from Loud Pipes @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64liF2VuLxI. I use Guitar Rig 5 for my sounds but I'm willing to get whatever is necessary, as it can only help in the future.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gorreus posted:

Can anyone give me an idea as to how to recreate the Ratatat sound on guitar? I guess the easiest example would be from Loud Pipes @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64liF2VuLxI. I use Guitar Rig 5 for my sounds but I'm willing to get whatever is necessary, as it can only help in the future.

Fender emulation, bring it to the edge of breakup. Sounds like the neck pickup of a Strat but the neck pickup of any guitar will do. For the volume swells, you can automate it with a slow attack type effect or automate the volume in your DAW. Traditionally this is done with a volume pedal so that will also work. Those sound a bit more distorted so either put a stompbox in front of your amp emulation or use a separate emulation (Marshalls are traditional but anything medium gain will work here). The rest is just tweaks based on EQ to give the synths room to breathe/allowing the guitar to cut through more.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKbk6TvHYxE&t=241s

How do I make synths sound like this?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Just about anything with a portamento and a pitch bend.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How do you make a really buzzy, raspy-sounding electro bass like in this video? (comes in at about 2:20) It sounds to me kind of like a low-frequency saw wave with the low end cut off, but it's also got this sort of reedy quality to it that I can't figure out how to emulate.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5y17Hrn_M

Am I right in thinking the bass sound here is a saw synth doubling a distorted bass guitar, and not just a bass guitar with some amazing sort of fuzz on it? (I'm slowly realising how many of the fuzzy basslines I loved as a kid were actually synths.)

e: if I'm right, you can hear the separation clearly at 2:23.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Popcorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5y17Hrn_M

Am I right in thinking the bass sound here is a saw synth doubling a distorted bass guitar, and not just a bass guitar with some amazing sort of fuzz on it? (I'm slowly realising how many of the fuzzy basslines I loved as a kid were actually synths.)

e: if I'm right, you can hear the separation clearly at 2:23.

The Pillows stick synths on a lot of their stuff, so it sounds plausible. Sounds like the best way to achieve that effect (and a likely culprit. Well, that or an effect like the EHX Bass Synthesizer)

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think the second sound is just the first sound with lowpass filtering and a phaser on top of it, from listening to the run-up to it.

I don't have my gear here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the main idea of the first sound consists of unison saws/squares (I don't know) through a waveshaper/clipper kind of thing.

I feel bad about replying so late, but thank you! This helped, I got much closer to the sound than I had before. For some reason I had never thought to try square waves instead of saws, and it sounds much closer. Still struggling with the second, more filtered sound, but I'll keep trying! I feel like it may be a modulated bandpass of some sort.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Lately as I have been experimenting, I realized I suck at percussion. I have about 60 soundfonts and over 100 samples, and none of them can make the sound I want, and I am not experienced enough with filters and distortion to make them sound how I want them to.

The first one that has been kicking my rear end is the smacking-sounding drum things that play at 0m57s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwAS2PKZjE I have spent about two hours trying to get anything at all to sound similar to that and have nothing close so far.

The second one is the clapping sound that plays at 6m00s.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9JVLffbOG4. I figure that there may be a chiptune vst that can do that but again I am not experienced in most things and am worried I will just be flailing around for hours on end and getting nowhere.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Is there any particular reason I'm always removing harsh frequencies around the 4k mark with my samples?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I AM NOT THE MOON! posted:

The second one is the clapping sound that plays at 6m00s.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9JVLffbOG4.
Not sure what specifically to focus on in the first one, but the second one isn't too hard: layer a bunch of different claps. Offset them from each other by ~15-30ms. Just to give the illusion there's more than one person clapping. Or sample the clap from Queen's We Will Rock You and speed it up a bit, whatever :) Then: bitcrush a fair amount.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You can probably find that XM somewhere on the net and rip the exact sample he used.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

wayfinder posted:

You can probably find that XM somewhere on the net and rip the exact sample he used.
I like your thinking.

Here's a download link to the xm. I'd use SchismTracker to play/edit/rip that stuff.

And to save you some trouble, here's the sample in question converted to 44.1/16 wav. Just for the hell of it.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

I AM NOT THE MOON! posted:

The first one that has been kicking my rear end is the smacking-sounding drum things that play at 0m57s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwAS2PKZjE I have spent about two hours trying to get anything at all to sound similar to that and have nothing close so far.

Snippets of a drumloop (kick,snare+cymbal) run through sample rate reduction (not the same as bitcrushing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

CareyB posted:

Is there any particular reason I'm always removing harsh frequencies around the 4k mark with my samples?

The human ear percieves the frequencies around 3-4,5khz a lot easier than any other frequencies which I assume might have something to do with it.

• Locked thread