Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Drakenel posted:

^^^ Jump before you fire, problem solved.

I guess that's one way to do it. I always just kill all the blue dots before attacking the red dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just got the "Special Ops" DLC code from the Facebook promotion in my email.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Knightmare posted:

Ranger is pretty awesome. I got a missile launcher that locks onto ten targets, fires ten missiles, and is ready to go in another two seconds. Plus a 900 shot assault rifle that's basically a laser beam, but it can't be reloaded. Haven't tried it against a hector yet but I plan to tonight.

Haven't tried fencer yet, and I only seem to pick up healing spray weapons with air raider so I'm still using the starter guns with him eight missions in.

That fusion beam takes down a Hector in about 2 seconds on Normal. Just switch weapons when it goes down and switch back for another target. It's a gun where ammo conservation is key.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I played for awhile last night, and it's everything I wanted it to be. Big, dumb, loud, and ridiculous. I fiddled around with Ranger for a bit, but gave up on it after I kept getting screwed on weapon drops and went a half dozen rounds without getting a new weapon, so I was basically stuck with the starting loadout and bunch of useless gimmick weapons like the torch and proto-reverser.

I switched to the Air Raider after that and had even more fun. I was getting new toys at fairly steady rate which confirmed my suspicions that I was getting screwed when I was playing as a Ranger. It's just a blast cruising around in a MBT acting as a mobile artillery, calling in neighborhood leveling airstrikes, loading up Fencers in my APC and doing my damndest to drift it around every corner between us and the next firefight, and sniping bugs with remote charges all while looking like a dime store Boba Fett. My biggest bonehead moments of the night where miss judging the throw distance on a howitzer bombardment and planting it right smack dab in the middle of the other players, and jamming my freshly spawned Vegalta in between two skyscrapers 30 feet off the ground with out an explosive weapon in my inventory.

The best thing about EDF though, is it's a budget title that elicits all the same thrills, chills, and spills that some companies spend a quarter billion dollars and decades of manpower trying to achieve with precision designed set pieces.

Also, can someone explain what they mean by reflect when talking about the Fencer's dash cancel? Do you just mean block with it, or is there some other move I'm not aware of? I tried doing it last night, but I don't think I got it to work, or at least I didn't notice any speed difference with what I was using.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Press the Bumper for the side your shield is on. It's a little reflect pulse normally.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Playing this game yesterday caused me to say a sentence I never thought I'd say in my life. "Hold on, I gotta reload my shield." EDF2027 is so good.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Nothing but lvl 0 guns for Fencer :negative:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How do you escape getting webbed by a giant spider? I've tried shooting the web but it doesn't seem to do anything and it slowly kills me every time.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Normal difficulty will give you nothing but level 0 weapons for like, the first dozen missions or so.

I'm getting pretty good with the wing diver myself. There's a bit of finesse to be had with it if you're not doing the low damage constant fire weapons. Pulse Ram to one shot anything close, and trying out the Monster (Which is literally the halo covenant sniper rifle, not even joking) for things like UFOs. Managing your power does require some skill as getting caught out with it depleted means you're pretty much dead thanks to low armor.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

haveblue posted:

How do you escape getting webbed by a giant spider? I've tried shooting the web but it doesn't seem to do anything and it slowly kills me every time.

If you mean the strings of web that flash red you need to kill the spider, if you mean an actual web hung between buildings of whatever you need to just shoot it a lot

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

It's not much of a surprise that this is buggy but spiders will grab you from all the way across the map and through every building. It's not a very fun bug. And man, that motorcycle is even more of a joke than the helicopter, at least you could go straight on the ones in 2017.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Count me as another Wing Diver player, after I got that taste of flight I can never go back to walking ever again, but unlike a bunch of the pub Divers I've seen, I actually like to hang near the people I'm playing with and offer death from above, or go snag a bunch of distant loot during downtimes, or quickly fly in to revive someone. If I see someone doing really well at it though I'll try to fill a missing role the next mission...which usually doesn't seem to happen since the games I've joined lasted maybe two missions before everyone leaves???? I also like to blow myself up (along with everyone near me) at MISSION COMPLETE since it just wouldn't be EDF without that.

I'm sure the past few pages are full of amazing NPC soldier quotes, but I'd like to share a gem I heard today while trying to get loot on the beach with all red ants (Mission 26: Crimson).

:black101:: "Why did you join the EDF?"
:downs:: "I got a steak dinner waiting for me at home!"

There's no easy place to snag IDs for the PSN players, so feel free to add AFlyingCake and let me know if you want to play. Chances are I'll drop whatever dumbass poo poo I'm doing and say "hell yeah EDF"

e: Is there any way to turn off the armor/item limitations if you're hosting a game online? I saw the options, but they were dimmed-out and wouldn't let me fiddle with the setting.

ee: figure i should add that i don't use a mic, but i have plenty of old USB keyboards to type-chat with

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 20, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Man I cannot play anything but the fencer. He's too good dashing all around shooting pile bunkers everywhere mid drift. I lucked out and got a level 1 artillery cannon that's twice my size and is apparently the main tank cannon made portable in the first few levels but even the default Gatling gun and pile bunkers are amazing.

This game ramps up so much faster than 2017 though I'm like on mission 5 and they are talking about 10 motherships coming. That's a lot of motherships!

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
I never thought I'd see the day, but they made the helicopters into forces of nature that are actually usable. It's a shame that Air Raider gets nothing n terms of actual weapons, just a bunch of slightly different limpet guns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

randombattle posted:

Man I cannot play anything but the fencer. He's too good dashing all around shooting pile bunkers everywhere mid drift. I lucked out and got a level 1 artillery cannon that's twice my size and is apparently the main tank cannon made portable in the first few levels but even the default Gatling gun and pile bunkers are amazing.

This game ramps up so much faster than 2017 though I'm like on mission 5 and they are talking about 10 motherships coming. That's a lot of motherships!

I love the math on that one.

They have 10 motherships! This invasion is 10 times the size of the last one!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rollie the Guar posted:

I never thought I'd see the day, but they made the helicopters into forces of nature that are actually usable. It's a shame that Air Raider gets nothing n terms of actual weapons, just a bunch of slightly different limpet guns.

Air Raider does get to call down mechs on demand though, which have ALL THE GUNS.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Rollie the Guar posted:

I must be the minority, but I really enjoyed the chopper in 2017. Controlling them feels sluggish as hell (in my mind how I'd expect a copter to fly) but they will absolutely annihilate things when you got a good feel for how it controlled. It was my key to unlock super-powered guns early in that one, as I'd do that beach-mission with the hectors and gunships on harder levels, since the vehicles scaled in power with difficulty.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

Dominic White posted:

Air Raider does get to call down mechs on demand though, which have ALL THE GUNS.

Even better are the "sky wire" line of Air Raider guns, which finally give us just retribution versus spiders (these weapons let you shoot out webs just like the spiders do!).

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Are there any region restrictions in multi on PS3 that prevent EU playing with Americans?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

randombattle posted:

Hahaha. Oh my friend. You have not seen ramping up yet. You have not. Seen. poo poo.

5 stages from the end of the game now, things are getting rather intense.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Carecat posted:

Are there any region restrictions in multi on PS3 that prevent EU playing with Americans?

I don't think it's out in EU or UK yet so we can't know. America and Japan have separate servers, but maybe EU and US will be able to play with each other.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Played for several hours yesterday in couch co-op, and I love Air Raider. Summoning so many mechs, blowing up so much poo poo with air strikes. gently caress your support, I am a front line fighter. :black101:

New vehicles seem pretty rare, though. Did I just have bad luck, or are there not very many of them kicking around?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Had fun with AFlyingCake, ArdrynSA and some other goons(I think) on PS3 tonight.

The level cap is kind weird. I've been playing on Hard mode by myself and none of my stuff was available because it was set to Normal. I guess it pays to grind out the difficulties or just play a lot of co-op(my plan).

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Bussamove posted:

Played for several hours yesterday in couch co-op, and I love Air Raider. Summoning so many mechs, blowing up so much poo poo with air strikes. gently caress your support, I am a front line fighter. :black101:

New vehicles seem pretty rare, though. Did I just have bad luck, or are there not very many of them kicking around?

Vehicles only really start appearing on hard and higher difficulty. Titans are pretty rocking.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Before you two d/c'd (Ardyn + Obsurveyor), I was going to mention that it also seems like enemies have a LOT more HP when playing online as opposed to offline. I soloed that mission with the same Ranger setup I had going in and it was far easier than that. Being able to remove those weapon/armor restrictions would make things far easier since we all seem to have some sweet gear for some classes, but I'm guessing that's something that gets enabled after "beating" the game I guess, the game won't let me turn those off for whatever reason. But I suppose it makes some sense; at least it keeps the game challenging even if you've got beastly gear, and it forces you to use stuff suitable for the level.

I'm also thinking I might have to commit blasphemy and turn down all the sounds, because I couldn't hear either one of you talk while in-game over all the other game sounds.

quote:

Had fun with AFlyingCake, ArdrynSA and some other goons(I think) on PS3 tonight.
The other slot was a pub, I only have you two in my PSN list.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Obsurveyor posted:

The level cap is kind weird. I've been playing on Hard mode by myself and none of my stuff was available because it was set to Normal. I guess it pays to grind out the difficulties or just play a lot of co-op(my plan).

It was pretty fun considering we kept getting wrecked on mission 16 and, just so everyone knows, I am down for friend requests if anyone wants to shove me in front of some giant insects.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Anyone wanna make a spreadsheet or something for PSN and 360 names

e: alternately just add me on psn tooooooo_bad

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

mother fucker. 2 inches of goddamn snow today and UPS is telling me they couldn't deliver my package due to "emergency conditions." gently caress off.

yes 2 inches of powder in MA is severe weather :allears:

This was me. "The packaged is in the next town over, but things are too crazy for us to get to your place". It's here now, but I've been too busy to play.

My brother popped in in though, he never got around to 2017 and he likes this one, expressing satisfaction with blowing away giant spiders with "A shotgun that can actually kill things farther away than two feet" :3:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

You should probably put dash cancel information under the Fencer section, as the class is nigh-unplayable without knowing about it.

Done

univbee posted:

- Avenues for adding other players for each platform.
- A breakdown of differences between the 360 and PS3 versions (as well as specifics like how Player 2's progress on the 360 only gets saved to Player 1's save).
- Extra highlighting of the game owning

Someone give links for the PS3 friends list and 360 friend list.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvAddedvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 20, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Someone give links for the PS3 friends list and 360 friend list.

Never done this before, but here goes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai90Eh9UuJjudHQ0NE5JVFRkQ19yOGt5X1dFQWhsbFE&usp=sharing

There's a separate sheet for PS3 and 360. Let me know if I should add/modify any fields.

For now it's just SA username, online console service username, which version(s) of the game you have since US and JP at least appear to be separate (we'll get confirmation soon about EU) and time zone.

My name's not there yet because I'm still sorting out specifics on what I'm getting.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 20, 2014

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Bussamove posted:

I got gently caress-all for Air Raider in a few hours yesterday, then did some low-teens missions and got a mech and a helicopter to drop. Even though the heli kind of moves like it's in molasses, I ended up being a vital hector destroyer in that harbor mission.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My god, Thunder Bow.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

My god, Thunder Bow.
Yeah, no kidding. The kicker is that it looks like trash at first glance with the 60% recharge consumption and lower total power than the Laser Lance. Then you fire it and notice why it's one of the best guns.

Of course, it'll get outclassed later (by newer and better models of it!)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

What do the levels by the guns mean? In 2017 they didn't have the levels by the guns but obviously the stronger weapons dropped in later levels on higher difficulties. I assume this is something similar to that but is there a guide that breaks down the drops? I'm wondering if I'm wasting time running through on easy to get used to the game on PS3 and build up some armor.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hooooly shiiiit! How do you avoid the Genocide Gun?! I was like half a mile away and still got completely annihilated by it! Subsequent attempts were even worse, I barely got to the Shieldbearer. This is for 32, "Thunder."

E: Huh. Staying in place worked. I was trying to get to all the blips on my radar.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 20, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

ChibiSoma posted:

Hooooly shiiiit! How do you avoid the Genocide Gun?! I was like half a mile away and still got completely annihilated by it! Subsequent attempts were even worse, I barely got to the Shieldbearer. This is for 32, "Thunder."

You can blow it up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Large Coastal Missile is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

My console froze for 3 seconds when it hit.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 20, 2014

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

There's a list now, so I will proceed to add all the names and prepare to shootbug all night.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Helbeast posted:

You can blow it up.

Yeah, I saw that in a video! I had no idea! No impact feedback, mostly. I shot a few rockets into it, but it didn't indicate that it was taking damage. It was just like shooting the outside of the ships. The mothership eventually buggered off and I mopped up the remaining monsters. Interesting that you don't have to blow it up to complete the mission, but I'll probably go back and do it anyway just to see the different dialog.

Also, the trio of underground stages before it were crazy. One of the few times I've used a shotgun. I need to play some harder levels to get better gun drops. My shotguns are woefully inadequate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Hmm I might need to do some port forwarding bullshit on my ps3. Won't let me take some invites. Fun times.