Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Another thing I read suggested using a windshield ice scraper in order to get the burnt-on crud off of the inside; is that advisable, or will it gently caress my oven up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

With a plastic one , I don't see how you could . And yeah the oven cleaner fumes are some nasty stuff.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I don't think I've ever managed to get a self-cleaning oven to clean itself without either filling the entire house with horrible fumes or setting off the smoke alarms, so you're probably better off cleaning it manually anyway.

I rarely use my oven for anything other than baking the occasional sheet of cookies so mine stays fairly clean, but I've had some nasty ones in apartments.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I don't think I've ever managed to get a self-cleaning oven to clean itself without either filling the entire house with horrible fumes or setting off the smoke alarms, so you're probably better off cleaning it manually anyway.

I rarely use my oven for anything other than baking the occasional sheet of cookies so mine stays fairly clean, but I've had some nasty ones in apartments.

This one is incredibly nasty. I'm sure it hadn't been cleaned since my roommates moved in, and very possibly wasn't cleaned for quite some time before that.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
1) Sweep out/break off any loose crud. Don't scrub.
2) Empty an entire can of EasyOff into the oven. Cover every surface, including the door. Hold your breath while you do this (I turn around behind me and get a good deep breath, then spray - repeat as needed.
3) Wait 24 hours. Do not do anything for 24 hours.
4) Wear gloves and wipe away the remains. With the effort of cleaning a window, you will now have a clean oven.

Or, buy a loving ice scraper and a hammer and chisel, or what the gently caress ever. But the EasyOff 24 hours thing has never failed me.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

photomikey posted:

1) Sweep out/break off any loose crud. Don't scrub.
2) Empty an entire can of EasyOff into the oven. Cover every surface, including the door. Hold your breath while you do this (I turn around behind me and get a good deep breath, then spray - repeat as needed.
3) Wait 24 hours. Do not do anything for 24 hours.
4) Wear gloves and wipe away the remains. With the effort of cleaning a window, you will now have a clean oven.

Or, buy a loving ice scraper and a hammer and chisel, or what the gently caress ever. But the EasyOff 24 hours thing has never failed me.

Do you leave it open or closed for the 24 hours?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

Do you leave it open or closed for the 24 hours?
Closed, but I don't think it matters. Just easier not to trip over it if it's closed.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

So my girlfriend and I are in the process of getting a new apartment and our prospective landlord sent us a rental application from the state realtor's association. Fair enough, but they've added a line to the standard application asking for our date(s) of birth. There's already a "check if you're over 18" box and we're providing our SSNs; should I be having a :siren: DANGER :siren: alert running through my head or is this no big deal?

(I figure I can always send it in and go "haha, didn't see that" if they point it out, but I'm already wary just because we found these folks on craigslist and I'm paranoid like that.)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
As a landlord, I need a DOB to run a credit report.

As a landlord, I have learned that when I look at an application, every box that's filled in I don't have to worry about. If there are 50 questions and 49 are filled out, the one that is blank is the issue. If you omitted your DOB I would assume there was something you were trying to hide and turn you down based on that.

That said, if you feel like your birthday is somehow private, you may keep it to yourself.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've been hunting through the different DIY and other related threads but can't see any thing about good vacuum cleaners. Any help?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

photomikey posted:

As a landlord, I need a DOB to run a credit report.

As a landlord, I have learned that when I look at an application, every box that's filled in I don't have to worry about. If there are 50 questions and 49 are filled out, the one that is blank is the issue. If you omitted your DOB I would assume there was something you were trying to hide and turn you down based on that.

That said, if you feel like your birthday is somehow private, you may keep it to yourself.

I figured, I just have it hammered into my head that birthday + SSN = identity theft. (I know that's oversimplified, so no need for a derail!)

Now that I've had some time to think about it, it's odd that the form wouldn't have birthday on it, for that reason. Huh.

Thanks!

e: Actually, while I'm here, I can help someone else!

Jippa posted:

I've been hunting through the different DIY and other related threads but can't see any thing about good vacuum cleaners. Any help?

There was a Coupons & Deals thread about vacuum cleaners a year or so ago and the consensus was that the Hoover WindTunnel T-Series UH70120 punches above its weight class.

I bought one during Amazon's Holiday sale back in November 2012 and it's holding up pretty well. I was grossed out by how much it pulled out of my carpets the first time I used it; now I vacuum at least twice a month and it pulls up a pretty healthy amount of stuff every time. It can run a little hot sometimes, but it has an auto-shutoff that's saved itself once or twice (and you'll never feel the heat from the handle). I don't clean my filter nearly as much as I should (it's rinsable), but it's easy to get to the filter and really easy to dump out the canister.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 13, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FadingChord posted:

There was a Coupons & Deals thread about vacuum cleaners a year or so ago and the consensus was that the Hoover WindTunnel T-Series UH70120 punches above its weight class.

I bought one during Amazon's Holiday sale back in November 2012 and it's holding up pretty well. I was grossed out by how much it pulled out of my carpets the first time I used it; now I vacuum at least twice a month and it pulls up a pretty healthy amount of stuff every time. It can run a little hot sometimes, but it has an auto-shutoff that's saved itself once or twice (and you'll never feel the heat from the handle). I don't clean my filter nearly as much as I should (it's rinsable), but it's easy to get to the filter and really easy to dump out the canister.
I bought one of these before I joined the forums, and they are fantastic.

My mom (who is a neat freak) has a Dyson pet vacuum she swears by, but they cost a metric fuckton more. If money is no object, totally great. That Hoover WindTunnel gives you the best value for your money, though.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Hoover T-series and their pet models are widely praised including recognition by Consumer Reports. I've had one of the slightly more expensive multi-cyclonic models for a couple years now, and I haven't noticed any loss of suction. The main filter, dust canister and cyclone cones are washable, and there an additional HEPA rated filter. There's also a pedal to turn off the beater bar so you can use it on bare floors. If pet hair is an issue, there's an upholstery attachment that kind of looks like a squeegee that pulls hair right off.

Talking about vacuums on the internet.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

goku chewbacca posted:

Talking about vacuums on the internet.

"Adulthood in Obama's America."

marb
Oct 21, 2010
My rental house has an oil heater. The furnace is hosed up and burns through the oil at a ridiculous rate (e.g. we went through 550 L in 16 days).

Anyway, because we kept running out of fuel unexpectedly fast, our furnace would shut off. Rather than pay 200 bucks for some guy to restart it, we bled the fuel lines ourselves (actually on the advice of the fuel company tech). It worked fine.

The property manager found out that we started the furnace ourselves and now claims that we will be liable for any repairs made on the furnace (which still burns oil way too fast), because we "mucked with it" and the "last one to touch it is liable." He even stated the landlord could go to small claims court for the money. My feeling is that it just needs to be cleaned/maintained.

I am wondering:

(1) Is there even any chance that bleeding the fuel lines ourselves could actually hurt the furnace, provided it worked and started?
(2) Is there any truth to what he said about the tenants being liable?

I would GREATLY appreciate any answer from people that know about oil furnaces OR the repair liabilities. My housemates and I are all utterly beat from dealing with this poo poo.

marb fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 13, 2014

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Thanatosian posted:

I bought one of these before I joined the forums, and they are fantastic.

My mom (who is a neat freak) has a Dyson pet vacuum she swears by, but they cost a metric fuckton more. If money is no object, totally great. That Hoover WindTunnel gives you the best value for your money, though.

I have the dyson pet vacuum and that was some well spent money. I love that thing.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I have a Hoover Windtunnel and it's great. My roommates in college kept breaking it somehow but now that I live alone it hasn't broken once so it was clearly user error on their part and not any mechanical issue. My parents even ditched their Dyson Animal for a Hoover and they say the suction difference is noticeable.

I am intrigued by those new Dyson digital slim cordless vacuums though, since it seems way more convenient than lugging around a corded vacuum. Anyone have experience with those?

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005
Anyone have a suggestion for a less than $100 comforter available on Amazon? I'm in inland southern California, so not looking for something super heavyweight.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm a landlord.

I need to do some work on the bathroom in a vacant unit. This bathroom abuts the bathroom of the neighboring unit.

What is a respectable time to go over and start banging on the shared wall with a sledgehammer? What is an appropriate time to go over and start doing other, non-sledgehammer related work (which is pretty limited at this stage)?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

photomikey posted:

I'm a landlord.

I need to do some work on the bathroom in a vacant unit. This bathroom abuts the bathroom of the neighboring unit.

What is a respectable time to go over and start banging on the shared wall with a sledgehammer? What is an appropriate time to go over and start doing other, non-sledgehammer related work (which is pretty limited at this stage)?
Ask the tenant? 9-5 on weekdays is generally acceptable, but if they work odd hours they'll hate you for those times.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
It's Sunday. On a weekday, I'd probably start at 9. Considering rolling in a little later today to be decent.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

photomikey posted:

It's Sunday. On a weekday, I'd probably start at 9. Considering rolling in a little later today to be decent.

Can you ask the tenant who shares the wall and ask them when is best for them?
I work nights and weekends and sleep during the day, I'd be pissed if at 9 am some body started banging away.
My property manager knows my schedule and any time work has to be done is pretty good about phoning our emailing about it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Can you ask the tenant who shares the wall and ask them when is best for them?
Unfortunately I am not at a place when I can schedule construction around whatever is convenient for adjoining tenants. What I can do is wait until a reasonable hour to start, so I got over there around 9 and puttered around for a while until I really got to banging around at 9:30. Just wanted to get some goon input, and I appreciate everyone's input.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I moved into a new apartment and the window in my bedroom is letting in too much light through the blinds. I figure my options are thicker blinds or putting up curtains. Is either way more effective or cost-efficient than the other?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

I moved into a new apartment and the window in my bedroom is letting in too much light through the blinds. I figure my options are thicker blinds or putting up curtains. Is either way more effective or cost-efficient than the other?

I'd go with curtains, you can just take them down and take them with you when you move and you're not stuck with a set of blinds that may or may not be useful in your new place.

Also in my experience curtains are less rage inducing to install than blinds.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Roller shades are the cheapest and darkest thing you can do, and the big box stores will cut them down for you.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Our TV is crapping out and we're looking to get a little bit larger/upgrade TV. Something in the 32 inch range. I don't care about having a top-of-the-line TV, I just want something that looks decent, preferably $250 or less.

I have been looking at some off-brands, Sceptre and Quasar. The online reviews are good and their 32inch TVs are in the ~$200 range. Does anyone have any info on these brands, or recommendations for a TV that is in my price range? Thanks!

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

razz posted:

Our TV is crapping out and we're looking to get a little bit larger/upgrade TV. Something in the 32 inch range. I don't care about having a top-of-the-line TV, I just want something that looks decent, preferably $250 or less.

I have been looking at some off-brands, Sceptre and Quasar. The online reviews are good and their 32inch TVs are in the ~$200 range. Does anyone have any info on these brands, or recommendations for a TV that is in my price range? Thanks!

There's definitely some basic VIZIO sets in that range, get one of those instead.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, you can ask the HDTV megathread in IYG.

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

da weed wizard posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a less than $100 comforter available on Amazon? I'm in inland southern California, so not looking for something super heavyweight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00635VODS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chezmoi Collection White Goose Down Alternative Comforter, $40, Prime eligible

I'm in southern California too and it is PERFECTION.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

razz posted:

If you have/know someone with a Costco membership, they've had some nice 1080p 32 inch sets at my local store around that price for under 250 recently. Buying TVs from anywhere but Costco is a mistake unless you're catching a major Black Friday-esque deal, they're cheap and the free year of warranty extension is awesome.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

jkyuusai posted:

There's definitely some basic VIZIO sets in that range, get one of those instead.
I will look at those, thanks! A basic flat screen is what I'm looking for, just something that we can watch Netflix on and my husband can hook his XBOX to.

Thwomp posted:

Also, you can ask the HDTV megathread in IYG.
I will post there, thanks!

deadwing posted:

If you have/know someone with a Costco membership, they've had some nice 1080p 32 inch sets at my local store around that price for under 250 recently. Buying TVs from anywhere but Costco is a mistake unless you're catching a major Black Friday-esque deal, they're cheap and the free year of warranty extension is awesome.
Unfortunately the nearest Costco is over 130 miles from me, and I don't know anyone with a Costco membership :(

Also I really don't know anything about TVs and what a "good" one is. 1080p? LED, LCD, what's better? 120Hz, 60Hz, what even is that???

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

razz posted:

Also I really don't know anything about TVs and what a "good" one is. 1080p? LED, LCD, what's better? 120Hz, 60Hz, what even is that???

The OP of the HDTV thread will cover all those questions. However, I don't know if you'll get many specific recommendations at that price point. Most of the talk and attention in that thread starts around 40"/$500.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Yeah, I poked around that thread for a minute and read the OP. I'm really not knowledgeable enough about TVs to understand a lot of it, plus I am not some sort of tech junkie so really I don't care about having some awesome TV, I just want a cheap one that looks decent :) I'll probably just browse around at the store and see what I can pick up in my price range. Thanks!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

razz posted:

Yeah, I poked around that thread for a minute and read the OP. I'm really not knowledgeable enough about TVs to understand a lot of it, plus I am not some sort of tech junkie so really I don't care about having some awesome TV, I just want a cheap one that looks decent :) I'll probably just browse around at the store and see what I can pick up in my price range. Thanks!

Nerds always obsess and make things more complicated, don't forget. I bought an off brand TV for dirt cheap two years ago, against the advice of everyone online, and I've been completely satisfied. TVs can look different, but at 30 inches you don't need to worry too much. Just go for what's cheapest (and use common sense, of course).

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Drunk Tomato posted:

Nerds always obsess and make things more complicated, don't forget. I bought an off brand TV for dirt cheap two years ago, against the advice of everyone online, and I've been completely satisfied. TVs can look different, but at 30 inches you don't need to worry too much. Just go for what's cheapest (and use common sense, of course).

Off-topic but I read an interesting article about brand loyalty the other day. Basically it said there's not nearly as much brand loyalty now as there was ~15 years ago, because back then, people had to rely on personal experience or word-of-mouth to choose a brand. Word traveled a lot more slowly pre-internet so crappy brands could stick around for a while before people caught on. Now, with Amazon reviews and all sorts of websites dedicated to picking apart the nuances and pros/cons of consumer goods, bad brands get phased out much faster because it takes a lot less time for word to get around that a brand sucks. So if you see a brand on the shelf, and it's been around for at least a couple years, even if it's not a name-brand it's probably fairly reliable otherwise the negative reviews would have caught up to it.

Made sense to me, especially with stuff like TVs, cameras, and other electronics that have entire online communities dedicated to testing and reviewing them.

EDIT: Went with a 32 inch LG LED, cost right around $250. Seems nice so far! This is the first TV I have ever bought, all my TVs have been hand-me-downs. Also this is the hugest BY FAR.

razz fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 19, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

FadingChord posted:

So my girlfriend and I are in the process of getting a new apartment and our prospective landlord sent us a rental application from the state realtor's association. Fair enough, but they've added a line to the standard application asking for our date(s) of birth. There's already a "check if you're over 18" box and we're providing our SSNs; should I be having a :siren: DANGER :siren: alert running through my head or is this no big deal?

(I figure I can always send it in and go "haha, didn't see that" if they point it out, but I'm already wary just because we found these folks on craigslist and I'm paranoid like that.)

Here in California, through Trans Union I can get the credit report using only the name, address, and social, and the report has the DOB on it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Question for Australian goons: My partner and I recently applied for a house and in the application we said we were happy to pay $250 a week to secure the property. When it came time to sign the lease it was said that the original price of $240 was fine and we signed it for $240 a week which I was very happy with considering the house was left horribly messy and with work unfinished. Fast forward two weeks after moving in and I get a call from the real estate saying they made a mistake and they need to increase it to $250.

What are my options? I don't want to pay the extra money when I've already signed the Lease .

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

we signed it for $240 a week

Not Australian, but I don't think there's much else to it. Consult a lawyer if they keep pushing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Xandu posted:

Not Australian, but I don't think there's much else to it. Consult a lawyer if they keep pushing you.

On the other hand, I'd say offer to pay the 250 on the condition they fix up your problems with the property if that's what you were willing to pay for the house in top shape. Remind them that you signed a lease for $240, and for the property to be worth the extra money, you need (list of things) taken care of. Bet they'll fix your problems in a hurry that way.

If they've fixed everything up in the two weeks since you moved in, gently caress them, you signed a lease for 240.