Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Isn't it the other way around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Norm McDonald, who looks and sounds suspiciously like Adam Carolla.

Norm has a schtick, but he doesn't reuse the same 4 rants over and over and over and over and over again.

Also, watching old Weekend Updates with him is loving hilarious.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

e: wrong thread. sorry gang.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 20, 2014

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

PeterWeller posted:

Maybe I did. I was 13 when that CD came out and I listened to it religiously. But being an rear end in a top hat was his whole schtick at the time, something he carried to his MTV appearances and his characters in films like The Ref and Suicide Kings. Maybe I fell victim to Poe's law. I never thought of it as a satire of the type.

He's a Democrat and 'rear end in a top hat' was basically mocking that type of person with a song about them taken to their extreme conclusion.

It's a great song, too.

e: I mean the chorus goes, from memory, "Maybe I shouldn't be singing this song / ranting and raving and carrying on / maybe they're right when they tell me I'm wrong / ... NAH!!!"

Neremworld fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 20, 2014

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Faustus posted:

loving CNN and Sippy Cupp:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/18/opinion/cupp-cbo-report-minimum-wage/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

I can't even. "Should we grow the middle class? Is that a 'good thing?'"

Literally "Is it worth raising 900,000 people out of poverty if it means 500,000 less jobs?" I mean, what?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't wait until Paul Ryan gets hold of those numbers seeing how he's the GOP's math guy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Neremworld posted:

He's a Democrat and 'rear end in a top hat' was basically mocking that type of person with a song about them taken to their extreme conclusion.

It's a great song, too.

e: I mean the chorus goes, from memory, "Maybe I shouldn't be singing this song / ranting and raving and carrying on / maybe they're right when they tell me I'm wrong / ... NAH!!!"

Right on. I have to admit then that the bit went over my head. His entire special builds to that song and rants about all the 90's conservative bogeymen. He played the character so thoroughly that I didn't realize he wasn't earnest. I really thought he was a bitter scything fiend. I chalk it up to him being great and me being a kid.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think you can be a "conservative/libertarian" and be funny if you're able to balance things correctly.

For example, Mike Nelson is naturally funny and doesn't seem to push his politic beliefs all that much. The times he has done jokes revolving around politicians have been stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9lWeJQq_Y

It doesn't come off as disrespectful, and is rather hilarious.

I don't agree with Penn Jillette on a lot of the things he believes in, but it doesn't seem to come off as outwardly racist/homophobic in anyways. The policies he advocates? Are terrible. But at least he kind of calls out social conservatives on their bullshit, along with other groups of awful people (like 9/11 Truthers. I agree with his thoughts, that if you see one, you should throw them down a flight of stairs).

Mike Nelson is funny because despite being a conservative and a comedian, he's not a conservative comedian. When he's working, his focus is on comedy and maybe occasionally he'll throw in some conservatism. Compare to Stephen Crowder, whose focus is conservatism, and maybe occasionally he'll throw in some comedy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Rokstar posted:

Literally "Is it worth raising 900,000 people out of poverty if it means 500,000 less jobs?" I mean, what?

I read Glenn Beck harping on this and I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Where did that number even come from? How did they conclude that if minimum wage is raised then 500,000 jobs will just EVAPORATE?

It's probably just projection again. After years of actively destroying jobs, sabotaging economic recovery, and financially ravaging main street they want to find ways to blame the left for it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A bipartisan committee formed to investigate the matter came up with the 900,000 and 500,000 numbers. Doesn't mean it's correct, but they didn't just pull it out of their asses for once.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I read Glenn Beck harping on this and I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Where did that number even come from? How did they conclude that if minimum wage is raised then 500,000 jobs will just EVAPORATE?

It's probably just projection again. After years of actively destroying jobs, sabotaging economic recovery, and financially ravaging main street they want to find ways to blame the left for it.

It's from the CBO report on the issue. I haven't read it yet, but from some analysis I have heard the supporting data for their conclusion is rather weak. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this though.

E: I, for one, was immediately skeptical of the 500,000 figure because past raises have not resulted in any statistically significant job loss or hiring slowdown.

vvvvvv It's from the new one that assesses the impact of raising minimum wage to $10.10.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 20, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't that study about Obamacare or is this a new one on the minimum wage?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's probably not evaporating or anything like that, but there will be 500,000 fewer jobs created or whatnot instead. An important distinction, but I might be wrong, haven't read it.

^ No, it's a new one.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Apparently Obama's such a bad President that he's somehow magically managed to make higher wages for the poorest workers not generate demand. Way to go, Barack!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Regardless, the wage increase should have little to no negative impact in reality. The right often points to cost of labor as being a job killer, which is simply not the case. Labor is a small element of cost, but even then the price set for goods has little to do with the cost that goes into it. Prices are set based upon what people are willing to pay, not what it takes to create and sell the item. This is why there are price differences between areas.

Furthermore, various states already have minimum wage laws higher than the federal. These raises did not stagnate growth or scare off businesses. If anything, the economy should improve as the class that spends a large percentage of their income now has more of it to spend.

The increase of minimum wage is an all around good thing, if done in moderation. You want to make sure you don't overdo the raise to the point where you are increasing labor costs to the point where goods must rise above the "set" point people are willing to pay, as your returns are constrained at that point.

We can probably go higher than 10.10 with few, if any, negative effects. The problem is that no one is entirely sure, and it's a political no go to roll back an increase after it's implemented. If anything, we should aim for higher and introduce it in stages with an evaluation period between each stage to gauge the result. In theory, this should allow you to hit that "sweet spot" in the market that is optimal for everyone.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Mike Nelson is funny because despite being a conservative and a comedian, he's not a conservative comedian. When he's working, his focus is on comedy and maybe occasionally he'll throw in some conservatism. Compare to Stephen Crowder, whose focus is conservatism, and maybe occasionally he'll throw in some comedy.

I haven't seen every MST3K but I can't remember hearing a single joke that made me think the guy had a strong conservative streak. If anything the shows general irreverence seemed pretty anti-establishment left-ish to me. So I was surprised to hear he leaned pretty far to the right.

Anyway, a comedy blog I read from time to time had an article about "conservative daily shows" failing over and over again a few months back.

tl;dr They are always conservative first and comedy second.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlUqxyT6DIw

Is this a bit too on-the-nose or should I keep in mind that it's just a show and really just relax?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Bait and Swatch posted:

It's from the CBO report on the issue. I haven't read it yet, but from some analysis I have heard the supporting data for their conclusion is rather weak. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this though.

E: I, for one, was immediately skeptical of the 500,000 figure because past raises have not resulted in any statistically significant job loss or hiring slowdown.

vvvvvv It's from the new one that assesses the impact of raising minimum wage to $10.10.

Here's the thing hardly anyone is talking about with regards to the CBO report. It relies on previous studies to predict the job losses from raising the minimum wage. Right, makes sense no question there. The thing is here's a chart of the studies used to make their prediction.

It actually looks like the overwhelming majority of studies find none to very small changes to employment with a few studies showing large increases to unemployment as outliers. Even more importantly the 900k number is specifically the number of people lifted over the official poverty line. 24 million will will see increased incomes from this, 16 directly and 8 million additional people indirectly.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

deoju posted:

Anyway, a comedy blog I read from time to time had an article about "conservative daily shows" failing over and over again a few months back.

tl;dr They are always conservative first and comedy second.
That's a good article. I particularly liked the analogy to efforts to make "Christian" versions of pop music (Christian Rock, Christian Hip-Hop, etc.) which always end up being uninteresting and ham-handed and entirely derivative.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MizPiz posted:

I was scared that I was the only one.

Also, does Christopher Titus count as a conservative comedian?

I've wondered about that myself too. As someone that's a gigantic fan of his show and has all four of his comedy albums, there are times when I'm listening and watching that something seems a bit off. I would peg him as a liberal based on his work, but also pretty centrist.

I also feel the same way about George Carlin at times. He becomes another man after his first wife dies and there's a lot of bitterness.

I'd also like to bring up that Trey Parker is a massive libertarian and Matt Stone considers himself a conservative because, to paraphrase, "gently caress liberals". The episode of South Park where the kids are voting for a turd sandwich or a douchbag really pisses me off because it comes off as saying that voting is meaningless.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Here's the thing hardly anyone is talking about with regards to the CBO report. It relies on previous studies to predict the job losses from raising the minimum wage. Right, makes sense no question there. The thing is here's a chart of the studies used to make their prediction.

It actually looks like the overwhelming majority of studies find none to very small changes to employment with a few studies showing large increases to unemployment as outliers. Even more importantly the 900k number is specifically the number of people lifted over the official poverty line. 24 million will will see increased incomes from this, 16 directly and 8 million additional people indirectly.

Agreed. It seems they drew a very odd conclusion. Economic studies of those past events that try to account for other market influences and that include data from years before and after the wage increases further conclude that there was even less of an impact on the labor market than even that graph depicts.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Regarding conservative comedy, the other day I saw some bit, probably years old, where Jon Stewart was on some Fox News show and they try to do a takedown on him, and he really hammers home the "I'm a comedian first, even if my jokes are informed by politics" bit, and he even goes so far as to explicitly say that the reason the host couldn't or wouldn't comprehend that was because conservative media is structured to always be ideology first, entertainment second. Obviously it didn't go anywhere and the host spent the duration playing Daily Show clips and treating each one as a revelatory moment that would expose his sinister leftist agenda, but it was funny seeing Stewart get increasingly pissed as the guy brushed past literally every argument he made.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Wouldn't a significant boost in the minimum wage effectively boost a couple million households out of poverty and into actual tax-paying territory? Therefore, they would have some "skin in the game" which is what these jackals have been howling about for years?

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
They need to have skin in the game by pulling up their bootstraps, not The Nannystate literally taking money from The Job Creators and giving it to them.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'd also like to bring up that Trey Parker is a massive libertarian and Matt Stone considers himself a conservative because, to paraphrase, "gently caress liberals". The episode of South Park where the kids are voting for a turd sandwich or a douchbag really pisses me off because it comes off as saying that voting is meaningless.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are both libertarians who "hate conservatives" and "really loving hate liberals."

I think it's just that they're around more liberals so it grates on them more. If they lived in the south they'd slam on conservatives a lot more. Also Hollywood liberals are insufferable.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

I'm hoping it's another way of saying that dual income families can become single income families when they're paid a living wage, or something to that effect.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ann Coulter (!!!!!!!) : "Tea Party's Being Taken Over by Shysters and Con Men"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It only took her five years to catch on. Good for her.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

She can smell her own?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sean Hannity blowing the Tea Party has always felt out of place considering he is the most establishmenty establishment Republican that ever established. It's like he was trying to find his crazy niche so he could be on par with Limbaugh and Beck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are both libertarians who "hate conservatives" and "really loving hate liberals."

I think it's just that they're around more liberals so it grates on them more. If they lived in the south they'd slam on conservatives a lot more. Also Hollywood liberals are insufferable.

Well, I can certainly say that they aren't from the most liberal parts of Colorado. Not the insanity of the eastern side, but everything turns pretty blood red once you step outside of Denver County, Boulder, or Fort Collins.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Crowsbeak posted:

She can smell her own?

Nah, like the poster above me said, it's mostly just sour grapes that Tea Party people don't like her for being the establisment. If she could make money off them then she probably wouldn't be saying anything like this. Her and Hannity both came into prominence around the same time as national figures. At first they were seen as up and coming insane bomb throwers because of all the nonsense they were spewing about the Clinton administration. Since GWB they've both been establishment all the way.

I think she also took some shots at Sarah Palin for whining so much about that Katie Couric interview, and you can't criticize Saint Sarah, donchaknow?

Hannity talking about the greatness of the Tea Party is mostly just job security for him. He knows his listeners/viewers would drop his New York elitist rear end in a heartbeat. He is in a class of his own in terms of being a talking point machine. It feels like his scripts are like 90% cut and pasted from previous shows. "Golfer in chief!" "Obamamania media."

All the lower tier conservative pundits are usually dumb enough to actually say lots of crazy poo poo. All the higher tier conservative pundits like O'Reilly and Limbaugh are smart enough to make it seem like they're saying new poo poo. Hannity is basically a Drudge-headline-spewing robot. He could probably go on vacation for a week with an engineer cranking away on a soundboard filling in for him, and most people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 20, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

So what's going on with the CBO? They've never cherry-picked data like this before, have they?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The only thing more insufferable than a hollywood liberal is a hardcore libertarian.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

It's not the liberalism that makes them insufferable, it's the fact that they're pampered actors. Libertarians/conservatives on the other hand...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

Regarding conservative comedy, the other day I saw some bit, probably years old, where Jon Stewart was on some Fox News show and they try to do a takedown on him, and he really hammers home the "I'm a comedian first, even if my jokes are informed by politics" bit, and he even goes so far as to explicitly say that the reason the host couldn't or wouldn't comprehend that was because conservative media is structured to always be ideology first, entertainment second. Obviously it didn't go anywhere and the host spent the duration playing Daily Show clips and treating each one as a revelatory moment that would expose his sinister leftist agenda, but it was funny seeing Stewart get increasingly pissed as the guy brushed past literally every argument he made.

I'm pretty sure that's happened more than once but if memory serves THE time that everybody talks about happened on Crossfire. The premise of that show was they had a conservative host and a liberal host and they would invite two people on the show of opposing opinions to verbally duke it out. This generally went exactly as well as you'd expect but on a special edition they invited John Stewart on alone apparently with the intent on destroying him thanks to how much he makes fun of and criticizes the GOP.

That was where the whole "I'm a comedian first" thing came about and why it was obvious that the right Just Doesn't Get It. They were visibly confused and completely failed to understand what he was saying. They played a clip of John Stewart bashing on the GOP or Fox News or something right wing and he was like "well yeah, of course I made fun of that. It was easy." This clip was presented as proof that The Daily Show had a political bent and he looked at them and said "the lead in to my show is puppets making prank phone calls, how serious can it possibly be?"

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Zeroisanumber posted:

So this isn't strictly about right-wing media, but it certainly hits its greatest purveyor and enabler right at home.

It turns out that Rupert Murdoch divorced his wife of 14 years last year because she'd been carrying on an extended affair with Tony Blair.

It was a horrible thing for Blair to do, especially since both he and Murdoch have been friends for a very long time, but I take a certain malicious joy in the fact that that old bastard Rupert was fitted for a pair of horns.
Back when something or other happened, I did some reading up on Wendi Deng. Yeah, Rupert's a real piece of work, but if you're not familiar with her background you really owe it to yourself to read a few investigative bios. She may be one of the greatest gold diggers of all time - they truly deserve each other.

PeterWeller posted:

Thanks. Though from that I don't get the sense he is conservative so much that he is playing to the audience. The only two policy stances he takes are pro-life and anti-death penalty. And he engages in some mild Hillary bashing, but I can't think of a 90's comic who doesn't.
He has a special relationship with the Clintons thanks to the WHCD he was the guest at. If you haven't seen that one or the Imus one, it's worth it, but man, I can't even get through the Imus one. It's easily as pointed as Colbert's, but not about policy, way darker and way more direct - no happy warrior poo poo, just going straight at the President and first lady.

EDIT: Taking a break between meetings to watch this in the taxi and I just noticed the part at 10m10s where Al Franken, then SNL writer, is struggling not to be seen laughing at Norm's jokes, but can't help himself. Starts here.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 20, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

joeburz posted:

The only thing more insufferable than a hollywood liberal is a hardcore libertarian.

In the hollywood production facility I presently work at, I overheard it said yesterday that someone was 'down to earth' because they were a vegan. I felt like pounding my head against the wall.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Read all about how the Tea Party is being taken over by hucksters in my latest book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Within the first 10 minutes of Limbaugh's show today he :godwin:'d Obama by saying that the first thing Hitler did was create universal healthcare. Because you and I know that is totally what Obamacare is :toot: