Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

dijon du jour posted:

I'm guessing you don't remember the PSP commercials? The racist squirrels? Ringing any bells?

I can't be surprised at that ad. Sony handheld commercials are completely terrible to a suspicious degree.Like, either somebody in the handheld division pissed of someone in the marketing division, or Sony is trying to pull a Springtime for Hitler.

When Sony rolled out the white PSP, and the adverts were a white chick holding a black chick by the throat...

Sony doesn't have a good history of positive advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

dijon du jour posted:

Like, either somebody in the handheld division pissed of someone in the marketing division, or Sony is trying to pull a Springtime for Hitler.
After a few years of using PSN store I'm positive, Sony deliberately hires idiots, whenever it can.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

So I have been playing around with my schedule over the next 3 days and I've finally got a solid time where I have no other responsibilities and no homework.

I will be streaming on Friday, 2/21 at 9 PM Eastern. Like last stream was Powerpuff Girls with a little bit of other sprinkled in, this upcoming stream is themed around a single television cartoon for young girls, with at least one game from another franchise mixed in.

I have an idea for the stream after that so if I remember, I'll end it with a preview for what I plan to do for then.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Hooray! I'll be there!

As much as I enjoy talking about sexist video game marketing, it's kind of straying from the purpose of the thread. It would be fun to do a "sexist gaming megathread" but that would basically be almost every game ever. So to get back on track:

:siren: BEAUTIFUL CAR! :siren:

with Gharbad

Our journey to the bottom continues.

EDIT: OOPS I FORGOT

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 19, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

Hooray! I'll be there!

As much as I enjoy talking about sexist video game marketing, it's kind of straying from the purpose of the thread. It would be fun to do a "sexist gaming megathread" but that would basically be almost every game ever. So to get back on track:

with Gharbad

Our journey to the bottom continues.
I like how you were clicking buttons in time with the music.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Nihilarian posted:

I like how you were clicking buttons in time with the music.

It is very difficult not to!!

Also, this video and the next one are my first attempts recording audio with Mumble's built-in recording feature. I've noticed there are a lot more weird background noises, most of which I could catch, but rewatching the video there are still a few weird noises goin' on. Still not totally convinced I like it, but it's easier for my guest commentators. :shrug:

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I guess you put philip glass glassworks music in the background of the dog side scroller game or was that in the original (?!) ?

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Yes, pregnant teens are fortunate and deserve to look good. This is sending the right message to young girls, right?

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

asvodel posted:

I guess you put philip glass glassworks music in the background of the dog side scroller game or was that in the original (?!) ?

That was in the original game! The only song I added was DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH MY BODY, DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH MY BODY

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Did one of Pregnant Teen's shirts say "I MISS YOU?" :smith: That's the saddest girl game.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
By "Carton Baby," I can only assume they mean that you're dressing up a missing child who is pictured on a milk carton. So it is an even sadder girl game.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I kept screaming "YES!" and pumping my fist every time something was clicked during the car game. Such a beautiful car.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Devious Vacuum posted:

with Gharbad

Dvac, you are worse at handling women's clothes than a 16-year-old virgin with ten thumbs. And trying to dump culpability on your mouse, too. Only a poor fashionista blames her tools. :mad:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I need to know the name of that amazing song.

nu_vagus
Oct 3, 2013

Someone on Twitter suggested making a remix of that song, but how could you possibly make it sound any better?

You really can't, but I tried my best.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

nu_vagus posted:

Someone on Twitter suggested making a remix of that song, but how could you possibly make it sound any better?

Did you use DV's voice in the remix at about 0:24?

edit: I'm dumb. :downs: Yes. That's what I get for skipping to the beat right away.

my dad fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 20, 2014

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been noticing a lot more Korean language than Japanese language in these girl games. I wonder where these websites scrape their anime games from. I won't even entertain the notion that they pay for these things to be programed.

DVac, have you ever thought about checking out a ~foreign~ girlgamez website?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The Beautiful Car bit was magical.

The overpowering music reminds me though; sometimes it's a bit hard to hear what you're saying over some of the music in the videos.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Girl Car Games! I'm getting so many new gaming experiences from this thread.

Actually related to dress up girl games, I've been playing Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13, and that definitely closes the gap between the dress up game and having a... more traditional gaming experience affected by it. I smile widely every time I get a new outfit or a new accessory. I cheered when I unlocked a silk ballgown by winning fights in a Colosseum. More games need this.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Looking for Cocommentators for my stream.
It not as urgent for this stream, but I was testing the game for the stream after and if I don't fullscreen the game it's difficult to play, which would prevent me from interacting with the chat.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

nu_vagus posted:

This is amazing!!

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Senerio posted:

It not as urgent for this stream, but I was testing the game for the stream after and if I don't fullscreen the game it's difficult to play, which would prevent me from interacting with the chat.

Would be down for this. I'm Heavy Sigh on skype.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Heavy Sigh posted:

Would be down for this. I'm Heavy Sigh on skype.

I can personally attest that Heavy Sigh is very well acquainted with bad video games.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh did I not put my skype name? xanderk2 is my Skype Name. There are like 6 Heavy Sighs so I don't want to accidentally send it to the wrong one.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Fun thought exercise. Replace Oda Nobunaga with other historical figures and see how that game turns out. George Washington, for example.
The first person I thought of was Joseph Stalin. This Joseph Stalin.

I'm pretty sure any dating game involving him would involve disappointment and horror.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 20, 2014

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Not a girl game but there was a pretty bizarre Kickstarter a while back for a dating sim where the main heroines were literally genderswapped Hitler and Stalin.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel
I didn't know what to make of it.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
The thing that's really mind-boggling to me about all these 'makeover' games and whatever is, like... are there really people who apply copious amounts of blue/pink/purple/whatever eyeshadow? I almost understand it in the mislabelled scene-as-gently caress games but why do all of these makeover games feature eyeshadow colours and styles that I've never seen people wear outside of the most glamorous of glam rock groups? On a related note, is it bad that I thought these games telling young girls that they have to spend hundreds of dollars on cosmetic products in order to be accepted members of society would at least give makeup options that you'd see in the real world? I feel like that says something about my cultural expectations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Makrond posted:

On a related note, is it bad that I thought these games telling young girls that they have to spend hundreds of dollars on cosmetic products in order to be accepted members of society would at least give makeup options that you'd see in the real world?
High-school girls are the market for garrish makeup.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

The first person I thought of was Joseph Stalin. This Joseph Stalin.

I'm pretty sure any dating game involving him would involve disappointment and horror.

That photo is pretty heavily edited or a fake, as Stalin's face was covered in scars from a case of smallpox he had as a child. During his resistance days he was known as "the pockmarked one."

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Makrond posted:

On a related note, is it bad that I thought these games telling young girls that they have to spend hundreds of dollars on cosmetic products in order to be accepted members of society would at least give makeup options that you'd see in the real world? I feel like that says something about my cultural expectations.

I've seen it used in some circles that aren't Scene kids, but there's another group who use this sort of thing constantly. Also, blue and purple are quite common in the goth scene, and pink is quite common among candy ravers I've met.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

asvodel posted:

Not a girl game but there was a pretty bizarre Kickstarter a while back for a dating sim where the main heroines were literally genderswapped Hitler and Stalin.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel
I'm... not sure what to make of it either...

On the one hand, it's a game that romanticizes Hitler and Stalin.

On the other hand, someone is turning Hitler and Stalin into an anime.

... Regardless, I don't think I will buy it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

On the other hand, someone is turning Hitler and Stalin into an anime.

Looks like they weren't the first to do it.

quote:

This game is partly influenced by a manga doujin - “Transformed into Females!! Biographies of World Dictators” published by Ikaros Publications, which features works by artists Nisieda, Takeshi and Miki Nonohara who created about 70 images of the dictators.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Roll Next
(With Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, Loco, and Assoonasitis)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

asvodel posted:

What I make out of it is that someone was watching way too much Axis Powers Hetalia.

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

Heavy Sigh posted:

Roll Next

I think I can only watch this in small doses. Jesus, that dancing level is making my head spin.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Heavy Sigh posted:

Roll Next

Ahahahaahhahahaha holy poo poo what is this. This game is exactly what would happen if Mega Man got Girl Games power.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

Devious Vacuum posted:

Ahahahaahhahahaha holy poo poo what is this. This game is exactly what would happen if Mega Man got Girl Games power.

Why does it have to be a MegaMAN? :colbert:
What's wrong with being a MegaWoman?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Devious Vacuum posted:

Begs the question, which girl game did megaman kill to get its power?

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

ThatPazuzu posted:

Begs the question, which girl game did megaman kill to get its power?

Oh, I know exactly which game. We haven't seen it yet, but it's in the same vein as Flirting in the Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Senerio posted:

If it starts after 6 pm Central Standard Time, I would so be down for this. My skype name is miniaturemoose.

• Locked thread