Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Really you could have shortened the post to this and described the entire Sonic franchise across all media since the Genesis.

The one thing I don't get, thinking about all this stuff with Sonic comics, is why there were never any Nintendo comics. The Sonic comics were born out of that early 90s hype of "get this poo poo all over as much media as possible!" and you'd figure Nintendo would've done that too with Mario. Or if not Mario, I mean, they've only got a dozen other franchises that'd be good for comics but the only thing I can think of right off hand are the batshit insane Game Boy comics that Gavok wrote about at 4thletter. I guess Sega really does do what Nintendon't.

Basically what I'm saying here is Nintendo, please license the rights for a Metroid comic to like... any publisher and I will buy all of the issues please and thank you.

Nintendo didn't have a monthly comic available in comic shops, but they had similar things. They owned Nintendo Power magazine and while I didn't have a subscription, my cousin did, and at various points there were serialized comics featuring Mario and Link. There were various Nintendo tv shows, and cereals, and at one point I bought a choose your own adventure style novel starring Mario.

Also the Nintendo version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit had a 1-900 number for hints that was recordings by Jessica Rabbit, so basically they started a phone sex line for 8 year-olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Basically what I'm saying here is Nintendo, please license the rights for a Metroid comic to like... any publisher and I will buy all of the issues please and thank you.

There are a couple, both comics and manga. I guess the most recent was by Dark Horse? But published in Nintendo Power, no idea if they ever released it on it's own.

Mario also has a manga series that's been running since 1991 and follows a bunch of the games plots (including things like Mario Party I guess?) and I think they do one for almost every Zelda game too after A Link to the Past.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I have an inexplicably large amount of old Mario comics, and they were exactly what you'd expect a weird licensed cash-in comic to be: utter nonsense that doesn't take itself seriously and is dangerously stuffed with puns. Kinda like the Mario Bros. Super Show, really.

Insane people never had the same fixation for Mario as they did Sonic, so they didn't sell well enough to grow into a grim and dark out of control monstrosity that shames the Nintendo brand.

Having said that, the Nintendo Power ones were genuinely charming.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TwoPair posted:

Nintendo's current plan of well just being Nintendo is to license out their brands more so it's not as much of a pipe dream as you'd expect.

Granted it'll most likely mean more Metroid manga.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

Then Penders introduced stuff like "The Great War" and "Overlanders" who would be the humans of the setting, born from mutation when aliens Gene Bombed earth, and Station Square was under a mountain because he had established that the furry tribes had chased all the overlanders off planet, and the Echidnas were a super advanced society with a cloaked city watched over by a Cabal of Secret Grandpas with their Cyborg tech loving faction splits and the eeeeeevil Dingo's and on it went. And of course the 666 descendent of Robotnik, Droid.

The whole echidna backstory didn't really make much sense. I think what happened was they decided their advanced tech was the cause of all their problems, so they decide to shoot it into space or bury it in a pyramid or something, and embrace a life of technological asceticism and their rejection of their super-tech is emphasised as a really important part of their culture... but in every single appearance they make they've got all mod cons and then some.

quote:

I still like his defense of basically what he did, that being that "Sonic never had a backstory or interesting characters, so I had to do something to have interesting stories." Okay think on that, throw it around

To be fair, I think Nigel Kitching might have said something a bit similar about STC, but I'm not sure (and Kitching was a much better writer than Penders).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Nintendo's current plan of well just being Nintendo is to license out their brands more so it's not as much of a pipe dream as you'd expect.

Granted it'll most likely mean more Metroid manga.

I don't have a problem with that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Also the Nintendo version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit had a 1-900 number for hints that was recordings by Jessica Rabbit, so basically they started a phone sex line for 8 year-olds.

I'm pretty sure someone actually called that number (I think it was the Angry Video Game Nerd) for a review and found it is now actually a phone sex line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Insane people never had the same fixation for Mario as they did Sonic, so they didn't sell well enough to grow into a grim and dark out of control monstrosity that shames the Nintendo brand.

I think it's because Sonic had the SatAM cartoon; you still get Sonic fans sperging incessantly over how "dark" and "mature" and "adult" said cartoon about a blue hedgehog who runs and fights a man shaped liked an egg is, whereas there's never been a Mario cartoon like that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lurdiak posted:

I have an inexplicably large amount of old Mario comics, and they were exactly what you'd expect a weird licensed cash-in comic to be: utter nonsense that doesn't take itself seriously and is dangerously stuffed with puns. Kinda like the Mario Bros. Super Show, really.

Having said that, the Nintendo Power ones were genuinely charming.

Which yeah, is basically what a Mario comic should be. I do not understand the people who want the silly mascot characters like Sonic or Mario to BE super serious. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the maximum "Dark" those types of characters should ever touch, is Pixar-Level. It can get dark at times, but the player and reader and watcher are all sitting there and know that, in the end, this is still a story on that level, and things will sort themselves out. I use Unleashed and Galaxy as perfect examples of this, they are written in a way that even when there's "Drama" like the world being broken up or the mushroom kingdom being attacked or yadda yadda, there's still the sense of... I dunno? Whimsical charm? It's not taking itself super seriously with doomsday cultist toads and stormtrooper Koopas.

I think a Mario comic would more suffer from, these days at least, Nintendo's minimalist approach when it comes to Mario himself, I could see them certainly keeping a close eye on how he's portrayed, which would have helped Sonic a lot if Sega had actually kept a drat eye on the product, then again Sonic 06...

In unrelated (but more ontopic) I actually don't hate the Nu52 Blue Beetle run. Most assuradly it is not the Blue Beetle of old, absolutely not. It is in fact, the exact opposite, I actually sat down and looked at the two side by side and it wasn't just that Tony Bedard didn't get the old Blue Beetle, rather he got it and set out to be the exact opposite of it. And I think it deserves its spot here for that, because it wasn't necessarily a "Bad" comic, but it most assuredly was a bad Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle Comic.

I think Bedard was honestly trying to go in the exact opposite direction on purpose so his run wouldn't be compared to the excellent run of the past, but at the same time missed that people really wanted to see Jaime again because of the way the old run was. But simply writing wise on its own? it's honestly not that bad, pretty generic all things considered but not 'bad' It's of course taking in a characters past and said past runs and having the comparison, if this had been the first ever Blue Beetle comic, it would merely be "Eh" with maybe some people liking it, fact was it was always inevitably going to be compared to the past, hence it deserves to be here on merit that it is a "Bad Run" of Blue Beetle.

Metal Loaf posted:

I think it's because Sonic had the SatAM cartoon; you still get Sonic fans sperging incessantly over how "dark" and "mature" and "adult" said cartoon about a blue hedgehog who runs and fights a man shaped liked an egg is, whereas there's never been a Mario cartoon like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEMqCFpk3ME

Yes there was, it just was silly and light hearted and didn't spawn a fanbase of nutjobs like SatAM did. Which honestly is not that good and people only remember it for Jim Cummings Eggman. But the actual show itself was fairly bland, boring, and to be quite honest? Not a Sonic Cartoon. Sonic was completely at odds with literally everything else in the world. If you ever watch it, and I don't recommend anybody does, It honestly feels like he was transplanted into a generic 80's/90's cartoon about the evil environmentalist trying to destroy nature.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 20, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Not a cartoon, no.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

Yes there was, it just was silly and light hearted and didn't spawn a fanbase of nutjobs like SatAM did. Which honestly is not that good and people only remember it for Jim Cummings Eggman. But the actual show itself was fairly bland, boring, and to be quite honest? Not a Sonic Cartoon. Sonic was completely at odds with literally everything else in the world. If you ever watch it, and I don't recommend anybody does, It honestly feels like he was transplanted into a generic 80's/90's cartoon about the evil environmentalist trying to destroy nature.

What I mean is, I don't think there's been a cartoon which Mario fans have latched onto for being all dark 'n' edgy or whatever.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Thanks Onmi for those write-ups on such a terrible period for that comic, of about 12 solid years out of a total of almost 20. Saying that, it's less a "worst run" for a comic and more like "all of it up to a point", as well as a lesson on how to do everything wrong when it comes to management/writing/editorialising/etc. I'd personally argue that whilst some parts where doomed to what was deemed fashionable for the time (anime storytelling, dark edginess, guest appearance by The Maxx), other parts suffered because Penders was generally "untouchable" in the silliest of ways. I originally suggested the Knuckles comic because it seemed like a fairly contained way of seeing all of the awful pushed together into one place, albeit in 40 sodding issues.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Thanks Onmi for those write-ups on such a terrible period for that comic, of about 12 solid years out of a total of almost 20. Saying that, it's less a "worst run" for a comic and more like "all of it up to a point", as well as a lesson on how to do everything wrong when it comes to management/writing/editorialising/etc. I'd personally argue that whilst some parts where doomed to what was deemed fashionable for the time (anime storytelling, dark edginess, guest appearance by The Maxx), other parts suffered because Penders was generally "untouchable" in the silliest of ways. I originally suggested the Knuckles comic because it seemed like a fairly contained way of seeing all of the awful pushed together into one place, albeit in 40 sodding issues.

Yes but that would require me getting the Knuckles Comics so I could go over it point by point.

I can't do that again man. The only reason I hadn't gotten rid of the other few comics I still have lying around is because well... It's like a terror looming over your shoulder. I know I'll have to face it but fuuuck.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Onmi posted:

Tracey Yardley who does the art on the Sonic Comic did sketches for a Mario, Kirby and Metroid comic for Nintendo, they didn't want it. So don't think Archie didn't think of it themselves.

EDIT:

Here we go

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=134338

Source there

Man, just based on the artwork I would've loved to have seen those books. Yardley has a great eye for perspective and motion and really gets the iconic elements of those characters/settings, that could've been some pretty cool stuff.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd like to thank Omnio for the write up. I used to read the hell out of the sonic comics as a kid and even got a monthly subscription, but I stopped after all this weird poo poo with the the 40 different versions of knuckles started showing up.

It's sort of amazing how bad it got.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I think what grinds my gears the most is that the things that made Penders such an absolute poo poo was why he got such control: he did what he wanted and took full advantage of Archie's misrun state and didn't care who he stepped on or pissed off. People like that should be thrown out on their rear end and ostracized/mocked into oblivion, not given their own little kingdom to run before they end up burning it down themselves.

So, what does Penders do with all the characters that Sonic can't use any more, oh the shame? They pretty much exist now as parts of the Sonic universe. Does he just hoard them while telling himself he won?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Would folks agree that Fraction's Fantastic Four should be in here? Not his FF though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

E the Shaggy posted:

Would folks agree that Fraction's Fantastic Four should be in here? Not his FF though.

I got him mixed up with Hickman for a second there and almost got soooo maaaaddd.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nah. It just see that way because, well, Hickman's run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was intensely mediocre, but not awful. His Thor run, though...

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Fraction's Uncanny X-Men run was pretty bad too, but then, Uncanny seems to be the book where good writers go to die because Brubaker stunk on it too. Not as bad as Austen, of course, but it was awful compared to their work on other properties.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Realism posted:

Larry Hama's run on Wolverine after The Lazarus Project, he was doing quite well up until then, I don't know what happened....everything seems to just go downhill.

And I don't even know how you can write bad stories on a guy like Wolverine, I mean....that's gotta take some skills.

I don't pay attention to writers like I should, but I was so excited to get to read this recently starting from the beginning. Looking at what he did right, I can say he started off ok but it did quickly go down hill and I never made it to issue 100. Nor 75 I think. The first 30 issues were pretty good. Nothing incredible but also nothing horrible aside from like issues 19-20.

I don't know what the gently caress happened. But now I know! I think Marvel in general was doing some weird poo poo.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 23, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Probably Magic posted:

Fraction's Uncanny X-Men run was pretty bad too, but then, Uncanny seems to be the book where good writers go to die because Brubaker stunk on it too. Not as bad as Austen, of course, but it was awful compared to their work on other properties.

Gillen managed to be saddled with Land on it and churn out some of his best work with Marvel though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It was intensely mediocre, but not awful. His Thor run, though...

I thought it was awful. I read that whole run, but couldn't tell you anything about it other than the basic premise of them having some disease, which didn't go anywhere. Did it get cured? gently caress, I don't even remember if it was brought up again after issue 5.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
His F4 is only terrible in comparison to how great his FF is. Otherwise it's just fine.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I thought both his F4 and FF were pretty bad, but FF had the benefit of better art and a lot of whimsy/some occasionally charming sequences. His F4 seemed like it was a high concept he got bored with in like two and a half issues. Also not really caring about past characterization is more glaring when it's really well established famous characters versus the Future Foundation crew.

You know a F4 run isn't living up to expectations (see Millar/Hitch) when the last couple of issues might as well be credited to Manny Hands.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm pretty sure I'm the one dude who liked Brubaker's X-Men run. Hell, even Brubaker didn't like it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Brubaker's run was just mediocre, much like Brian Wood's one presently. No reason for it to be in this thread. And Fraction had some good ideas -- he just couldn't juggle the huge cast at all, yet he kept bringing in more characters to his book every issue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I thought both his F4 and FF were pretty bad, but FF had the benefit of better art and a lot of whimsy/some occasionally charming sequences. His F4 seemed like it was a high concept he got bored with in like two and a half issues. Also not really caring about past characterization is more glaring when it's really well established famous characters versus the Future Foundation crew.

You know a F4 run isn't living up to expectations (see Millar/Hitch) when the last couple of issues might as well be credited to Manny Hands.

Yeah, I agree about FF also. Of course I love Allred, and it did have many great character moments, but I thought all the stuff wiith Doom the annihilating conqueror and going to Uatu's planet in the last 5-6 issues was super boring. That's a book that I feel actually would've been better if it didn't have a plot and was just "weird poo poo happened in this issue I don't know".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I agree about FF also. Of course I love Allred, and it did have many great character moments, but I thought all the stuff wiith Doom the annihilating conqueror and going to Uatu's planet in the last 5-6 issues was super boring. That's a book that I feel actually would've been better if it didn't have a plot and was just "weird poo poo happened in this issue I don't know".

Aren't those the issues that weren't actually written by Fraction?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They were most likely still plotted by Fraction.

Future Foundation on the moon was super cute, I thought.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Probably Magic posted:

In honesty what's the last good Uncanny run? You have Gillen's short run which was fun but aside from that, going back the last 15 or so years, you have: Chris Claremont II which gives us... The Neo. Then you have Joe Casey's unremarkable run. Then Austen. Claremont III. Bru's ultra-boring run. Fraction's exceedingly medicore-at-best run. Gillen's fun run. Now you have Bendis which some people like but I absolutely hate.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm surprised anyone can muster the investment to hate or love Bendis' Uncanny. It's such a middling book.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

He's already breaking ground with all those *random* romances that would make Chuck Austen clap in awe. Bendis run will be in a future iteration of this thread, surely.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suben posted:

In honesty what's the last good Uncanny run? You have Gillen's short run which was fun but aside from that, going back the last 15 or so years, you have: Chris Claremont II which gives us... The Neo. Then you have Joe Casey's unremarkable run. Then Austen. Claremont III. Bru's ultra-boring run. Fraction's exceedingly medicore-at-best run. Gillen's fun run. Now you have Bendis which some people like but I absolutely hate.

I kinda like Alan Davis's run just before Claremont II, but it was admittedly more competent than groundbreaking. I think the Joe Kelly/Steven Seagle joint run on Uncanny and Vol. 2 could've been pretty good if it hadn't been cut short.

I'd say as soon as Morrison arrives on the scene, UXM is relegated to second-tier status, stays there when Whedon shows up to do Astonishing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Saoshyant posted:

He's already breaking ground with all those *random* romances that would make Chuck Austen clap in awe. Bendis run will be in a future iteration of this thread, surely.

Unless he seriously goes off the rails, I can't see Bendis making it onto this list. The run may be meandering and have some dull stuff, but it's got some fun stuff like the issue where half the team decided that they are super rich and have a teleporter, which means they can take a break from living in a run down Barry Windsor-Smith esc mutant lab and go spend money in Paris. Or the issue where Magneto acts like a super powered version of Jason Bourne.

It doesn't have anything awful like Disintegrating Communion Wafers (Austin) or the team spending five to six issues getting beaten up by a guy with tough skin and Flamethrower (Casey.) that would put it in this thread.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Waterhaul posted:

Gillen managed to be saddled with Land on it and churn out some of his best work with Marvel though.

Oh yeah, that run was cool, but I'm being a dweeb and setting apart from those other bad runs since "technically" the title rebooted, which leads to whole 'nother bit of stupidity that has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Neither Brubaker or Fraction really count as bad runs, though I find "Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" boring. But I really do absolutely hate X-Men: Emperor Vulcan and would easily vouch for its inclusion here. Havoc chases Vulcan, random nemesis makes them take a "time out" as Vulcan literally calls it, shenanigans ensue. Then Vulcan figures out a way to imprison Havoc and co., meaning a status quo change of... nothing. Havoc's still in space, just now he's in prison, Vulcan is still running free and unpunished, and a space battle happened. What was the point? It just felt like a comic that was there for the sake of being there, but effectively advanced nothing.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Apart from bits of the Casey run and the start of Brubaker (before Sh'iar Cloud Strife showed up) you could say Uncanny X-Men has been pretty rubbish since Lobdell lost the plot around the Age of Apocalypse (20 years ago). Lobdell wanted them to lose Operation Zero Tolerance and fought with editors until he decided to leave, leading to Seagal being told what to write by editors until he had enough and quit. Alan Davis was fun but the books were just killing time until APOCALYPSE: THE TWELVE. Nobody wants to remember that story, because it was a jumbled mess which someone decided to let Liefeld draw parts of resulting in delays and it being shipped out of order. Not that it mattered since Cable's destiny to defeat Apocalypse (75 issues in at this point) resulted in him doing nothing but get kidnapped.

Then you get NEO Claremont, Austen and Claremont V3 aka it's Sage and Psylocke! you WILL like them! as they go on another exciting adventure to the most interesting place on Earth, the Savage Land!

Has there been any other titles that have been so mediocre for so long? Teen Titans?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
What was that comic that had colors for issue numbers instead of numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mimir posted:

What was that comic that had colors for issue numbers instead of numbers?

Wasn't it that Death Mate crossover thing? That you could supposedly read in any order?

Oh god, why do I know this :suicide:

• Locked thread