Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

StashAugustine posted:

It might not be true but it is peak CK2.

Sultanate of England sounds pretty awesome. Normally for me it's Ireland that falls first, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dPB posted:

So what are the chances that 5 sons being raised by Grey Eminences don't get a diplo trait? 2 of them were half trained by me before I handed them off but still...I just want a diplo son to elect as emperor.

Education traits come from your last mentor. So instead of a 1/300,000 shot like the way you initially described it, it's only a 1/2000 shot (assuming the other mentors weren't diplomats).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah it was just a test war, but it went south very fast. The AI rebels never consolidate, which is frustrating, they just sit in their home duchies and get hoovered up for massive war score. I tried to use my own core of soldiers to attack with mercs to supplement, but even with my own cataphracts the garbage soldiers you get from city holdings make for a fragile army.

AI armies will tend to attach themselves to your own stacks if they can, but the point of getting all the vassals on your side isn't just to reinforce your own troops, but also to deprive your ruler of troops. If you manage to get all the vassals on your side, then the liege has nothing left but his personal holdings and duchies, whatever retinues he had, and any mercenaries he can afford to hire (not the Varangian Guard though, they can join rebellions just like any other vassal).

Here's how my Byz rebellion looked:

The extra troops were certainly helpful, but what really determined the course of that battle was that the Varangian Guard, half of Greece, and literally every Byzantine province east of Constantinople joined the rebellion. Any retinues the Emperor may have had were crushed when, after a long string of victories, a war with the Muslim realms finally went badly, and without any vassal levies to rely on, the Emperor's own levies were simply overwhelmed by the entire rest of his realm all stampeding toward Constantinople at the same time. Of course, it worked out so well because everyone really hated the Emperor; he was a big jerk who liked to raise taxes and held onto too many duchies for some reason, and he had a nasty habit of simply castrating and releasing troublesome Dukes without revoking their titles or otherwise threatening their power base, so they just hated him even more.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone know what the Imprison That Man! option does when you get feast event where some guy at the feast has a title and you have a claim on it? I've never been brave enough to do it.

I learned another cool thing yesterday: if you have claims on a vassal's titles, press one of his claims and then revoke the title. He won't even give a gently caress, even if you press a county claim and then revoke a duchy.

I revoked Lothian and all of its three counties this way, but I pressed the guy's claim on the Kingdom of Burgundy, tossed a county his way, and we're childhood friends. His opinion went down to 80 and I felt guilty so I tossed him a gift.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Arglebargle III posted:

I revoked Lothian and all of its three counties this way, but I pressed the guy's claim on the Kingdom of Burgundy, tossed a county his way, and we're childhood friends. His opinion went down to 80 and I felt guilty so I tossed him a gift.

If I know stuff like that is coming up I usually bribe the guy first. Getting a huge opinion boost for 20 ducats is sweet.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Sultanate of England sounds pretty awesome. Normally for me it's Ireland that falls first, tho.

The Sultanate of England exists in my game, the old Queen's hier was a Muslin vassal of the Spanish/West African Caliph. It's slowing down my attempt to form Irish Britainia bit.

EDIT: Typos remain on request.

Brown Paper Bag fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 20, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Brown Paper Bag posted:

The Sultanate of England exists in my game, the old Queen's hier was a Muslin vassal of the Spanish/West African Caliph. It's slowing down my attempt to form Irish Britainia bit.

Please, never fix these typos.

How well is Muslim England holding against everyone else?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Not so good, given the fact they're isolated from the Caliphate and I'm hell bent on conquering them. Doing better than Catholic England though.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Zoinker posted:

I had a funny thing happen to me yesterday while playing an Aztec world conquest game. I'd gone into the habit of inviting a bunch of holy men after conquering each kingdom for a fresh supply of content duke-material.

However, after conquering all the Aztec holy sites and reforming the faith, I did the same for England and suddenly found my court flooded with Aztec Catholics, who showed up in the character finder even when filtering exclusively for men of my own faith.

Wasn't much trouble really, since I could just make them reconvert giving them the duchies and everything in them, but I can't help but feel this might cause a problem down the line, especially since one of my holy sites ended under one of those Catholics, giving me a -5% to moral authority.

How did you get an Aztec ruler? The ruler designer?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yikes, I was playing Iceland 1066 with the default ruler, and since he starts single I set out to find him a wife. The best match ended up being a 13 year old, which was slightly very 0_0. She flew over to Iceland, whipped out an erector set, and started building me heirs right away. Now in between running QA on the legions of factory-assembled Bjorkspawn that kept getting shot out of the royal bedroom (seriously, three kids in four years?) she studied and became accustomed to the court. I felt rotten for her, having to be whisked away to marry some decrepit creeper in the iron islands, so I was really, really nice to her. Gifts, trips, anything the kingdom could afford, she got. As she grew older and became an adult, I started giving her more and more jobs around the house. She was an awesome logistician, so when my current head steward finally pissed me off for the last time (he wouldn't let me shave his head and name him my head Stewart), I gave her the job.

However, one day my jerkass heir up and assassinated me, and in killing me, became me. I was irked, but I shrugged and moved on... ...only to have my awesome, awesome wife take part in a plot to assassinate the heir. She was meticulous about it, and with her contacts among the senior nobility they managed to turn my current character, former heir into carpet dye before he'd had a chance to marry and breed...

And so thus my line was ended, killed by kindness, angry ex-wives, and incredibly poor council management skills on my part.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Zhaan posted:

How did you get an Aztec ruler? The ruler designer?

I started as a bumfuck count in the HRE and just speed-5'd until the Aztecs showed up and won their first war. Then I saved and reloaded as the Aztec emperor.

I really wish there was an 'Aztec invasion' start date for people with Sunset Invasion. Currently there's no real way to Ironman as the Aztecs (other than the ruler designer, and even then you won't start with the event troops or have access to achievements)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Omi no Kami posted:

Yikes, I was playing Iceland 1066 with the default ruler, and since he starts single I set out to find him a wife. The best match ended up being a 13 year old, which was slightly very 0_0. She flew over to Iceland, whipped out an erector set, and started building me heirs right away.

But you can't marry anyone below 16, before that you are just betrothed and no breeding happens :confused:

In other news, the office coffee machine was fixed and someone stuck a followup event to it. Hopefully someone will snap a picture, but you'll be pleased to know the third option was "Give it another tumble, just to be sure".

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Darkrenown posted:

But you can't marry anyone below 16, before that you are just betrothed and no breeding happens :confused:

In other news, the office coffee machine was fixed and someone stuck a followup event to it. Hopefully someone will snap a picture, but you'll be pleased to know the third option was "Give it another tumble, just to be sure".

Purely out of a misguided sense of curiosity in irrelevant minutiae, are such office pranks carried out in English or Swedish?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Please pretty please one of the options must have been "stop looking at it!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I am disappointed that none of the options were "stab it, and then stab it a few times more".

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

We didn't start breeding right away- I compressed almost 20 years into the narrative, she was in her early 40s by the time she ganked my heir, but "little girl squirts out kids, goes a-murderin'" makes for a much catchier summation.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Leb posted:

Purely out of a misguided sense of curiosity in irrelevant minutiae, are such office pranks carried out in English or Swedish?

English, otherwise I'd be quite left out :ohdear:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

English, otherwise I'd be quite left out :ohdear:

What is the office language anyway? 100% English for the sake of the internationals, 50%-50% or mostly swedish with someone translating when appropriate?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

double nine posted:

What is the office language anyway? 100% English for the sake of the internationals, 50%-50% or mostly swedish with someone translating when appropriate?

I think they mention it in the EUIV sessions, that they speak mostly English, but I could be mistaken in that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

double nine posted:

Depends who is talking to who really. Mostly Swedish though, unless a non-Swedish speaker gets involved. A fun game is to see how long an entirely Swedish speaking group takes to switch back to Swedish after the English speaker leaves. A less fun game is trying to get everyone to switch back to English after a Swede comes over and says something in Swedish causing everyone to switch over. Signs/memos/company-wide emails tend to be in English though, and during the EUIV game English tends to come out more, both due to speaking for the camera and because the guy in charge of streaming isn't Swedish.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Depends who is talking to who really. Mostly Swedish though, unless a non-Swedish speaker gets involved. A fun game is to see how long an entirely Swedish speaking group takes to switch back to Swedish after the English speaker leaves. A less fun game is trying to get everyone to switch back to English after a Swede comes over and says something in Swedish causing everyone to switch over. Signs/memos/company-wide emails tend to be in English though, and during the EUIV game English tends to come out more, both due to speaking for the camera and because the guy in charge of streaming isn't Swedish.

Jesus, I get those mechanics but it must be quite ... difficult to follow office gossip/design discussions.

On the topic of CK2. I'm going to dive back into it after a lengthy absence, is there a list of interesting individuals to start playing as in the 867 start?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Since I installed ckii+ I haven't been able to get past the "loading flags" loading screen when firing up the game. Any ideas of how I can fix it? I don't have any other mods activated and only Game of Thrones and Flat Maps installed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I am disappointed that none of the options were "stab it, and then stab it a few times more".

Or "I think I will celebrate... with beer."

By the way, what is a good way to help ensure conversion of pagans? 90+% of the time the bishop I send ends up in the dungeons, but I got lucky once and converted Ruthenia. Otherwise nothing.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 20, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Or "I think I will celebrate... with beer."

By the way, what is a good way to help ensure conversion of pagans? 90+% of the time the bishop I send ends up in the dungeons, but I got lucky once and converted Ruthenia. Otherwise nothing.

Holy War them, there is a good chance they will convert. If not, you gain a new duchy that you can spin off into a vassal of the proper religion.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SeaTard posted:

Holy War them, there is a good chance they will convert. If not, you gain a new duchy that you can spin off into a vassal of the proper religion.

So that is why that happened. I was a bit surprised, and disappointed since I'd rather have had the land (and another Greek-run duchy.)

I was thinking more of distant realms where I don't even have a proper Holy War CB against (like the Norse, who have yet to reform.)

My game is going well, antichrist absolutely refuses to die (he's in his 80s and he magically healed his maimed trait), the genius/attractive son/heir has died so his genius grandson has now been named heir in his stead. Islam isn't looking so good, the last Jihad for Arabia was a joke, and the Zoroastrians are making a comeback in Persia (!!) Hopefully the Cataphracts hold up against the inevitable Mongol clown cars.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

So that is why that happened. I was a bit surprised, and disappointed since I'd rather have had the land (and another Greek-run duchy.)

I was thinking more of distant realms where I don't even have a proper Holy War CB against (like the Norse, who have yet to reform.)

Same-religion dukes can be vassalized if you hold a title their duchy is de jure part of, so you can still get the land if you create or usurp the appropriate title.

Not much you can do to directly convert distant pagans except gambling with your bishops' lives. Even if they let your bishop stick around, they get another chance to imprison him every time he converts a courtier, so it's an uphill battle. Winning holy wars to increase your religion's moral authority does help, though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Choose a young, rich bishop with high Learning, and send him when the ruler is Cynical and Kind and not Cruel. (Greedy on the pagan also helps your bishop get out of prison to try again.) You can't do much to change the odds of being imprisoned, since it's based on the foreign leader's traits, but a rich bishop will pay his own ransom, and a young bishop with high Learning will take less time to convert people (and thus have less chance of ending his trip in mishap before succeeding).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Zoinker posted:

I started as a bumfuck count in the HRE and just speed-5'd until the Aztecs showed up and won their first war. Then I saved and reloaded as the Aztec emperor.

I really wish there was an 'Aztec invasion' start date for people with Sunset Invasion. Currently there's no real way to Ironman as the Aztecs (other than the ruler designer, and even then you won't start with the event troops or have access to achievements)

If you don't want to deal with all the events and stuff while you're waiting, you can just type "observe" into the console and go into obersvation mode

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Does anyone know if it's possible to make Miaphysites separate from main Orthodoxy in the EUIV export?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

My game is getting pretty intense - Islam has Christianity on the ropes; Europe is sandwiched between two monster Caliphates - Hispania/North Africa in the west and Persia in the East - the second of which has large inlets in Anatolia/Thrace and central Europe. Germany just barely beat off a Persian invasion (largely thanks to my help), and I had to deal with a Hispanic invasion of Wales (thanks to the fact that England is now its Sultanate as previously mentioned).

Also, the Byzantines are now Nestorian and based in Italy/the Balkans. They haven't controlled Greece in 100-200 years.

What is the date the Mongols show up? I fancy Mega Persia to smash them if they do not implode in the meantime.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Brown Paper Bag posted:

What is the date the Mongols show up? I fancy Mega Persia to smash them if they do not implode in the meantime.

They can start showing up in 1215.

1216-1224 - Ilkhanate
1224-1250 - Golden Horde
1250-1350 - Aztecs
1360-1405 - Timurids

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cease to Hope posted:

Choose a young, rich bishop with high Learning, and send him when the ruler is Cynical and Kind and not Cruel. (Greedy on the pagan also helps your bishop get out of prison to try again.) You can't do much to change the odds of being imprisoned, since it's based on the foreign leader's traits, but a rich bishop will pay his own ransom, and a young bishop with high Learning will take less time to convert people (and thus have less chance of ending his trip in mishap before succeeding).

I believe arbitrary pagans are also more tolerant of foreign preachers if I remember right.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I own all the counties of Champagne, and the Duke who holds the title is not at war, why can't I usurp the title? I'm old and have three sons and if I don't become a duke all my lands are going to be split up. <_<

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Charlz Guybon posted:

I own all the counties of Champagne, and the Duke who holds the title is not at war, why can't I usurp the title? I'm old and have three sons and if I don't become a duke all my lands are going to be split up. <_<

If you hover over the ursup button it'll probably tell you why.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TheFluff posted:

If you hover over the ursup button it'll probably tell you why.

Odds are, it's because you're either a count under a duke (and can't usurp a title that would put you on equal footing with your duke liege - break free from him first!) or the duke title in question was just usurped/granted (titles cannot be chain-usurped)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Odds are, it's because you're either a count under a duke (and can't usurp a title that would put you on equal footing with your duke liege) or the duke title in question was just usurped/granted (titles cannot be chain-usurped)

I'm a count under the King. I don't think it's been usurped that recently, I'll check it though. How long is the cool down period?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Raserys posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to make Miaphysites separate from main Orthodoxy in the EUIV export?

You'd have to mod it in yourself, unless you can find one someone may have already made

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Duke of Champagne has had the title for almost 20 years. The game is just screwing with me. :colbert:

It's my first Ironman game too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm a count under the King. I don't think it's been usurped that recently, I'll check it though. How long is the cool down period?

Five years, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If you're under the same liege you can't usurp without a claim.

• Locked thread