Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
My trip to San Diego has finally been confirmed :) so I'm looking for some more advice. We'll be in that part of the world for two weeks, and one week has to be San Diego, and that's also where our flight leaves from. Hotel and car will be provided during this week. What's the best way to use the other week?

We are considering Las Vegas and Grand Canyon (I know that's not California). I said earlier that we are not into touristy stuff but Las Vegas is so over the top that we'd go for the sheer madness of it. It seems that flights from SD are cheap.

What would be the shortest meaningful trip to Grand Canyon? Fly to Vegas, drive to GC, would it be scenic? Getting from GC back to SD might be costly or time consuming, though.

The other angle I guess would be to stay in California and drive around so please recommend stuff.

Pook Good Mook posted:

don't do the European thing and rent a Mustang or a Camaro.

:haw:

EnsGDT posted:

If you *really* want to see California, just watch all of these http://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/

I tried two videos at random. One was about a restaurant chain and he was interviewing patrons about eating and waitress about serving food (So you take food from... there? From the counter? (Yes) And you bring it to the tables? (Yes)) and the other talks about a hotel that's 90 years old and occasionally gets film industry people.
Maybe it's European haughtiness but it leaves me :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

My trip to San Diego has finally been confirmed :) so I'm looking for some more advice. We'll be in that part of the world for two weeks, and one week has to be San Diego, and that's also where our flight leaves from. Hotel and car will be provided during this week. What's the best way to use the other week?

We are considering Las Vegas and Grand Canyon (I know that's not California). I said earlier that we are not into touristy stuff but Las Vegas is so over the top that we'd go for the sheer madness of it. It seems that flights from SD are cheap.

What would be the shortest meaningful trip to Grand Canyon? Fly to Vegas, drive to GC, would it be scenic? Getting from GC back to SD might be costly or time consuming, though.

The other angle I guess would be to stay in California and drive around so please recommend stuff.

:haw:

I tried two videos at random. One was about a restaurant chain and he was interviewing patrons about eating and waitress about serving food (So you take food from... there? From the counter? (Yes) And you bring it to the tables? (Yes)) and the other talks about a hotel that's 90 years old and occasionally gets film industry people.

For perspective, its an 8 hour drive with no traffic to the Grand Canyon from San Diego. Its only a 6 hour drive from San Diego to Yosemite National Park for comparison.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

If you want to go to Vegas anyway, then I would highly recommend Zion over the Grand Canyon. It has way more to do, is much closer, and in my opinion is more scenic. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is just kind of boring, especially if you only have enough time to do hikes along the rim. You could also just drive straight from SD to Zion, it's about 500 miles.

Yosemite would also be a much better choice, like Zion it is just better than the Grand Canyon.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Papercut posted:

If you want to go to Vegas anyway, then I would highly recommend Zion over the Grand Canyon. It has way more to do, is much closer, and in my opinion is more scenic. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is just kind of boring, especially if you only have enough time to do hikes along the rim. You could also just drive straight from SD to Zion, it's about 500 miles.

Yosemite would also be a much better choice, like Zion it is just better than the Grand Canyon.

All of those Utah parks are in close proximity, and are all amazing, Bryce, Arches, Zion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Papercut posted:

Yeah, having been to both a year or two ago Zion is much more interesting than the north rim. The Grand Canyon will make you feel tiny and insignificant, but other than that there's not much to do unless you plan on going into the canyon (which is a lot more planning).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doctor Malaver, when are you traveling (roughly)? Part of the deal with going to big national parks is their seasonality. Yosemite is beautiful all year round, of course, but during the summer it is packed with tourists, while during the winter it is less accessible by car.

If you decide to drive from San Diego to the Grand Canyon and back, and you only have a week, you are going to be spending more than half of your week driving. A lot of that drive is through the desert southwest, which has its own sort of beauty, but frankly I'd much rather do that if I had a longer trip and more time to stop, take side-trips, etc. than if I'm on a schedule and need to just blow through in two days.

Vegas is a reasonable drive, but you should also check flight/hotel combinations. The hotels want you so badly they sometimes subsidize the flight. If you're going during the off-season it can be even cheaper.

I think both the Grand Canyon and Yosemite are must-see bucket list kinds of destinations, but between the two, I prefer Yosemite. The Grand Canyon can be great if you have time and are physically fit enough to do hikes down into the canyon, or a river rafting trip on the Colorado, or whatever. Yosemite is amazing if you have time to hike, too. Once the highway 120 section through the park opens (it's closed during the winter), you can get up to Tuolumne Meadows, where there are a lot of amazing trails and camping options - but for your first trip, you certainly want to spend time in Yosemite Valley. In the winter, you can still hike up the yosemite falls trail, and there's an alternate route for the Vernal falls (by taking the John Muir trail), but if I remember right, you can't do Half Dome. But, the snow is gorgeous and you get a much better sense of the peace and majesty of the place without being jostled by thousands of tourists.

If you hope to spend the night inside the park, you need to make reservations immediately, because they book solid many months in advance.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaving in two days. I must admit I've never heard of Zion.

So how's this for a plan:
8 nights in San Diego (this is fixed)
SD > LV by plane
3 nights in Las Vegas
LV > (national park) by car
3 nights in (national park)
(national park) > SD by car
1 night in SD
Sat 3/8 plane leaves at 3:45 pm

I wish we wouldn't have to spend the last night in SD but we'll have to be at the airport at 1:45 PM. I don't think we can comfortably get there from a national park that early... or can we? Google maps claims it's 400 miles from Yosemite to SD and that it's only a six and a half hour drive, but I can't drive that long without stopping for at least an hour and a half. Grand Canyon and Zion are further away.

Maybe this?

SD > LV by plane
3 nights in Las Vegas
LV > Yosemite by car
3 nights in Yosemite
Yosemite > Los Angeles by car
1 night in LA
Drive to Lindbergh airport in the morning.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 19, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Your second option works better I think. Just be prepared to leave LA early. Google Maps might say 2 hour drive but with traffic in the mornings it will be 3. Assuming your shooting to get to SAN airport by noon you can not leave later than 9am.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Most of the roads into Yosemite as closed this time of year and lodging in the park is booked a year in advance.

Same with roads into the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Doctor Malaver posted:

If you can't like Huell, you can't come to California.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Huell's unbridled enthusiasm for the Best State dwells within us all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FCKGW posted:

Most of the roads into Yosemite as closed this time of year and lodging in the park is booked a year in advance.

What? None of this is true. 120, 140, and 41 are all open on the west side of the park year-round barring catastrophe. 120 on the east side (i.e. Tioga Pass) is closed, but unless he's driving up through Owens Valley for some reason that's not a problem at all.

By "lodging in the park" do you mean the Ahwahnee? Cause maybe, but he's probably not trying to spend $300/night. There's Curry Village, the Wawona Hotel, Tenaya Lodge, plus a bunch of hotels/motels/hostels in Oakhurst and Mariposa and Fish Camp etc.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

The park's web site says: The Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park) and Glacier Point Road are closed due to snow; they usually reopen late May or June.

I had only checked weather forecast for San Diego and it didn't occur to me that at the time it's near summer in SD there might be snow in other parts of California. That means that we have to pack some winter hiking stuff.

Leperflesh posted:

Vegas is a reasonable drive, but you should also check flight/hotel combinations. The hotels want you so badly they sometimes subsidize the flight. If you're going during the off-season it can be even cheaper.

How do I get this kind of deals?

As for the cell phones, can we buy some local sim cards with a basic plan? We don't need to call home but we'll have to be able to talk to each other.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doctor Malaver posted:

As for the cell phones, can we buy some local sim cards with a basic plan? We don't need to call home but we'll have to be able to talk to each other.

Yes, buy some Tracfones for about $40 total and the coverage map looks like this:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

nm posted:

If you can't like Huell, you can't come to California.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0JZszqC7mk

Why did he never run for office, anyway? You know he could have got his rear end elected.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Hey Yosemite is nice, but how did you get set on these places so far away from San Diego? Coming from SoCal if I were bound and determined to see a national park I'd go to Sequoia National Park. It's pretty amazing - some of the oldest and largest trees in the world - easily accessible from the South, and much much closer.

I looked in your post history but I couldn't find where you say what time of year you will be visiting. That makes a difference as well.

If you are visiting in winter or spring, you might try Anza Borrego state park or Joshua Tree for your nature fix. Anza Borrego is known for wildflowers in spring. It's been an extremely dry year but that doesn't necessarily mean no flowers (especially in a desert park). It can mean a chance for rare flowers to bloom that don't show up in wetter years.

When we go to San Diego we like to go to Old Town San Diego historic park for the restaurants, knick knack shopping, buildings to tour. You can get a lot of the same souvenirs that you'd find in Tijuana. I like to buy Mexican vanilla, personally.

Also as far as road trips, east of SD there is a railroad museum that my husband likes to visit, if that's your thing. But mostly - beach beach beach. There are so many nice beaches and beach towns around there. Taking a trip up to Santa Barbara by coast is about as far as I'd want to go.

One last thing, San Diego and LA traffic is horrendous on a weekday. I personally would never risk staying out of town the night before a flight unless it were a suburb adjacent to San Diego. International flights especially, because if you hit a busy day it can take a very long time to get through security. I would rather drive until midnight to make it back to San Diego and cut my time that way than to stay in LA and be sweating out the traffic the next morning.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

hepscat posted:

Hey Yosemite is nice, but how did you get set on these places so far away from San Diego? Coming from SoCal if I were bound and determined to see a national park I'd go to Sequoia National Park. It's pretty amazing - some of the oldest and largest trees in the world - easily accessible from the South, and much much closer.

He's European.

It's... what they do.

I'm not being glib either, I'm a travel agent so I have first-hand knowledge. If a European is coming into California for anything more than 4 days they will try to do Vegas, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon in the same trip and damnit don't you tell them how far away everything is.

That said, he's got plenty of time, and when it comes to California the drive is usually still more amazing then most other States' destinations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

RabbitMage posted:

Huell's unbridled enthusiasm for the Best State dwells within us all.

Huell stands under a restaurant sign that says "JOE'S est. 1937" in huge letters....

HUELL: "SO.....WHAT is YOUR Restaurant's name?"
OWNER: looks up...."Uh, JOE'S"
HUELL: "OH when was it built?"
OWNER: looks up again......."1937"
HUELL: "OH' THATS AMAZING! are you the original owner?"

ALSO: Yosemite Valley is still open.......hwy 120 isn't really "Through the middle of the park" (I know it is on a map) it's more like over and through all the mountain ridges at the TOP of the park, slightly sketchy driving car sickness inducing even in summer. DO it anyway!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 20, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

We're going to Disneyland yaaay! But that's not what I need assistance with, its the other four days of our trip. We have two kids 5 and 7 and six days in the sunshine state. Is a Go Los Angeles card worth the cost? Should we just get a three day or spring for the full four or just get a tailor made one because we'll never get to the 37 free attractions? I'd like to do Universal Studios for 'free' with the three-day, my oldest kid would go apeshit over the La Brea Tar Pits and possibly a whale watching thing. I think they're both probably too short to enjoy Knott's Berry Farms various rides but I don't know. Also Legoland is a given (assuming you guys don't tell me its overrated like the tiny one in Chicago).

We'd be HQ'd in Sherman Oaks. Any advice or suggestions would be awesome. We are a geeky family that loves science and sciencey-type stuff but we have access to things like IMAX at home so really looking for Cali-specific things (like I would love to go see redwoods but I get the feeling that would eat up an entire day of driving). We have next to no interest in any movie-star related shenanigans (unless Cars and Frozen count as that and well, Disneyland). Also would snowboarding still be an option in late March? Or whale-watching?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For those ages, I would think the California Science Center would be a good choice. Endeavour is on display there and they have tons of other exhibits as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

The park's web site says: The Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park) and Glacier Point Road are closed due to snow; they usually reopen late May or June.

I had only checked weather forecast for San Diego and it didn't occur to me that at the time it's near summer in SD there might be snow in other parts of California. That means that we have to pack some winter hiking stuff.

OK, so, you need to understand that there is one road that goes all the way through Yosemite, and that's 120. That part of 120 is closed during the winter. So, if you approach Yosemite from the eastern side of the sierras, you need to take a detour around the park in order to actually enter the park. So, coming from the south, you'd have to either cut west no farther north than state route 178, or, go all the way past the park, turn west on state route 108, and then come back south (but that would be silly).

However, 120 to the park is open from the western side. So, coming from the west, you can approach yosemite valley by car by taking either 120 or 140. From the south 140 is the closer option.

These are smaller highways and part of them is in steep mountain conditions so you will not be doing 70mph. You may be required to bring chains for your car, and if it is actively snowing when you get up into the mountains you may have to put them on (or pay someone to do that) and then drive much more slowly on icy roads. This sort of weather is possible, but not that common - check the weather a couple of days before your trip and you will be able to decide whether it's an issue or not.

A consequence though is that you absolutely should not try to make it back from Yosemite Valley (inside the park) to the airport in San Diego all in one morning. A little snow and you might miss your flight.

As for staying inside the park: it's not just the fancy expensive Awahnee that books solid months in advance. Curry Village is some cabins (mostly "tent cabins") and it is usually booked solid as well. Since you are coming in just a couple of weeks it is still worth calling, because sometimes people cancel their plans and you can get a cabin. If it's an option I highly recommend it, because it's a great way to experience the park.

It may also be possible to camp in a tent, but keep in mind this is camping at 4000+ feet, in the mountains, in the winter. You need sub-freezing temperature equipment. You must book a camp site in advance, so call to check if it's available.

In all of the above scenarios, do not leave food in your car or in your tent - use the bear boxes. Bears can open your car (the bad way) and are ever-present in the park. Do not cuddle a bear.

If none of those options are available or appeal to you, you can book a motel or hotel room nearby to the park and then drive in and out when you visit. Mariposa is a nearby town which caters to Yosemite visitors, so check for available rooms there. From Mariposa it's less than an hour to drive in or back out of the park. If you stay in Mariposa, driving from there to the san diego airport in the morning is less risky, although still not something I'd recommend.

As far as hiking goes, you will not need extensive winter kit (no crampons or ice axes), the trails are generally cleared and accessible. Just bring warm coats and dress in layers, be sure to bring water and an emergency blanket, and be sensible about the weather - if it gets bad, turn back, because this is real actual wilderness. However this is all pretty unlikely and on most days you will have the option of several challenging hikes or a few easier ones that stay on the valley floor.

quote:

How do I get this kind of deals?

Just use a typical travel booking website, like cheaptickets.com, expedia.com, kayak.com, or whatever. Put in your dates of travel and tell it to include hotel and flights. Combo deals will be offered automatically.

quote:

If you are bringing your own phones, contact your carrier to see what your options are. Your phone has to be dual or triple band capable to work on the american networks. If that's not an option, you can buy cheap disposable phones for your stay. Keep in mind that there is usually no cell phone reception when you are on a trail in Yosemite national park. You will probably have digital reception everywhere else you are planning to travel, except maybe at the grand canyon or zion, and in a few places you might fall back to analog cell reception. You'll be fine everywhere in san diego, vegas, and along major highways.

Pook Good Mook posted:

He's European.

It's... what they do.

Yeah. I happen to think that a road trip is one of the best ways to experience how different America is from Europe. We have huge expanses of territory that are basically totally unsettled. That is much rarer in Europe, where people have been building cities and carving out settled territories for thousands of years.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 20, 2014

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Doctor Malaver posted:

Maybe this?

SD > LV by plane
3 nights in Las Vegas
LV > Yosemite by car
3 nights in Yosemite
Yosemite > Los Angeles by car
1 night in LA
Drive to Lindbergh airport in the morning.

LA is a fickle bitch. I've driven from LA to SD and had it take 4 hours (from north LA to SD) to 8 hours. So beware.

You'll save your sanity if you do something like this, instead:
8 nights in SD
SD > LV by plane
2-3 nights in LV (depending on your age/tolerance, this is probably more than enough)
Fly to Reno and rent a car, drive to Yosemite (3 hour drive, much prettier than from Vegas). Optional night in Lake Tahoe.
3 nights in Yosemite
Drive back to Reno, fly back to SD
Night in SD
Go to airport.

The flights are all short enough that you will still have some time during the day to do stuff. Driving directly precludes that, so consider that with your plan above you'd basically lose your day in LA and a day in Yosemite.

This all depends on time of year and driving conditions, so just be aware of that.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks hepscat (I'm coming tomorrow) and Leperflesh!

This is useful stuff but also a lot to take into consideration. We didn't insist on Yosemite, in fact I wouldn't even know Yosemite is somewhere there if somebody in this thread didn't recommend it. I'm now having second thoughts. Neither me nor my partner have much experience with car trips into the unknown (we don't even own cars) and I don't want to get lost or stuck in the snow. Plus we didn't plan to pack for winter time. We kind of imagined riding a pink convertible, playing the Doors, acting Fear and Loathing scenes, and winning a million on slot machines. :blush:

So maybe I should look into the other parks, assuming they are more accessible:
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
Sequoia National Park
Joshua Tree

I have a disabled driver permit, the kind that you put under the windshield. It is issued here, it's not in English. Do you think I could use this with the rental? I know it can't be valid in California but would anyone care/notice?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

This is useful stuff but also a lot to take into consideration. We didn't insist on Yosemite, in fact I wouldn't even know Yosemite is somewhere there if somebody in this thread didn't recommend it. I'm now having second thoughts. Neither me nor my partner have much experience with car trips into the unknown (we don't even own cars) and I don't want to get lost or stuck in the snow. Plus we didn't plan to pack for winter time. We kind of imagined riding a pink convertible, playing the Doors, acting Fear and Loathing scenes, and winning a million on slot machines. :blush:

Sequoia National Park
Joshua Tree

I have a disabled driver permit, the kind that you put under the windshield. It is issued here, it's not in English. Do you think I could use this with the rental? I know it can't be valid in California but would anyone care/notice?

I would really recommend you look at Joshua Tree, Death Valley, and the other desert parks then it will be an easier drive and its very different than a lot of what people expect.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
They do take blue spots (handicapped spots) very seriously in CA and you'll get ticketed if you park without one. I have a feeling you can probably do something with the California DMV to get a placard but I don't know if it's worth your time to do that for a short trip. I would ask at the rental car agency.

Another thing you might consider is taking Amtrak from San Diego through Union Station in LA (you end up across the street from Olvera Street) and even going up all the way to Santa Barbara by train, maybe staying one night in SB. The tracks are right along the ocean for much of the trip and it's relaxing and gorgeous.

My father has done Anza Borrego in a wheelchair so I know they have at least some trails that are completely accessible.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Doctor Malaver posted:

This actually will work, see CVC 22511.5(b):

quote:

(b) A disabled person or disabled veteran is allowed to park a motor vehicle displaying a special disabled person license plate or placard issued by a foreign jurisdiction with the same parking privileges authorized in this code for any motor vehicle displaying a special license plate or a distinguishing placard issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you're in Nevada the laws differ, but according to their DMV's FAQ they do honor out-of-state and international disabled permits.

The DMV can issue a temporary travel placard if you like, but since you're only going to be here for two weeks it's probably not worth a trip to the DMV. As hepscat said you could ask the rental agency to see if they can help you out with that, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

While Yosemite is really dear to my heart, it would probably be easier and less expensive for you to check out Anza-Borrego etc. Then you'll be able to get the pink convertible.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Since this is ca tourism chat now, has anyone ever stayed at the Madonna Inn in slo? Awesome? Not awesome?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Yeah, heck yeah. It's pricey but it's so ridiculous. Cheap version: stop for a meal and just groove on the decor, including the bathrooms. Bonus points if you're a girl and you go in the men's.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you're a man and are wearing khaki pants, do not attempt to pee in the urinal that looks like a waterfall. You will get splatter all over your legs and a tourist may attempt to take a picture of the waterfall while you're using it.

The rooms are chintzy as poo poo, but getting one gives you pool access, so there's that. I'd rather just get breakfast there than stay there, but I live here, so my opinion shouldn't count much!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I grew up in SLO and so near the Madonna Inn. I don't think it's anything special but it and Cal Poly were most of the reason people passed through when I was growing up. The Madonna Inn has a number of "theme rooms" which is a big part of the draw, but apparently their cake shop is actually really good; my father and sister insist on a Madonna Inn cake every year for their birthdays.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

Sequoia National Park
Joshua Tree

I recommend Joshua Tree. When I went in Jan 2012, during the day the Mojave side of the park was in the 60s, the Colorado side in the 70s (The park spans the Mojave and Colorado deserts. Mojave is in the northern part and is higher in elevation than the lower, more southern Colorado portion. The Mojave part has all the joshua trees in it). Some cool places are the Lost Horse Mine (old gold mine operation), Ryan Mountain, the Fortynine Palms Oasis (desert oasis with native palm trees), and Keys lookout (you can look over the entire Coachella valley from here, from the Salton Sea to the mountain pass back to LA. Go at sunset).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Joshua tree also gets crazy cold at night. When I went I couldn't leave my tent at night because I was afraid I'd just freeze or never be warm again.

We also burned through all our firewood bushels in like an hour and went to sleep at 8pm.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Joshua tree also gets crazy cold at night. When I went I couldn't leave my tent at night because I was afraid I'd just freeze or never be warm again.

We also burned through all our firewood bushels in like an hour and went to sleep at 8pm.

The projected lows right now is ~50, not too bad. But if he doesn't want to camp, he can stay in one of the zillion hotels right outside the park in Twentynine Palms or Joshua Tree (the town, not the park), or in Desert Hot Springs or Palm Springs in the Coachella Valley (these last two are a bit farther from the park entrance, but nicer hotels)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So around 7 last night the sounds of helicopters started thumping around my neighborhood. It's been going most of the night and all morning and I finally dragged my sleep-deprived rear end out of bed to find out what the gently caress is going on.

oh. I live a 10 minute walk from Concord BART station. Kind of disconcerting.

But hey, remember when the BART workers were on strike, and were all like "hey maintenance is important, don't cut the amount of time we get every night to work on the tracks because that would be bad for safety" and the management was all "no gently caress you"?

Well nobody knows yet whether this derailment was caused by lack of maintenance, but I do know that trains use that track switch dozens of times a day, every day, so it sort of seems likely.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

So around 7 last night the sounds of helicopters started thumping around my neighborhood. It's been going most of the night and all morning and I finally dragged my sleep-deprived rear end out of bed to find out what the gently caress is going on.

oh. I live a 10 minute walk from Concord BART station. Kind of disconcerting.

But hey, remember when the BART workers were on strike, and were all like "hey maintenance is important, don't cut the amount of time we get every night to work on the tracks because that would be bad for safety" and the management was all "no gently caress you"?

Well nobody knows yet whether this derailment was caused by lack of maintenance, but I do know that trains use that track switch dozens of times a day, every day, so it sort of seems likely.

Remember that time BART management ran over a track worker?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

Remember that time BART management ran over a track worker?

Technically they ran over two track workers.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

OK we are in San Diego now. Can't say I love the place, but it's interesting and I like the people. :) How's this for a plan?

Saturday morning we drive to Anza-Borrego, take a walk there, afterwards go to LA to spend the night at my friend's. Optionally, Joshua Tree instead of A-B but A-B is closer and they look similar on pictures.

Sunday we drive to either Sequoia park or Death Valley and spend the night somewhere there. Monday we drive to either Zion or Grand Canyon. I'm pushing for Zion but gf is being indoctrinated by colleagues from work (also foreigners) that GC is a must-see. Two nights at either of those places.

Drive back to Las Vegas, two nights there and a flight to San Diego on Friday morning - flight back to Europe is Friday afternoon.

I don't like the long drive on Monday... I guess another option would be to fly from LA to Vegas and sacrifice Sequoia park / Death Valley for some comfort and an extra day on the later part of the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

OK we are in San Diego now. Can't say I love the place, but it's interesting and I like the people. :) How's this for a plan?

Saturday morning we drive to Anza-Borrego, take a walk there, afterwards go to LA to spend the night at my friend's. Optionally, Joshua Tree instead of A-B but A-B is closer and they look similar on pictures.

Sunday we drive to either Sequoia park or Death Valley and spend the night somewhere there. Monday we drive to either Zion or Grand Canyon. I'm pushing for Zion but gf is being indoctrinated by colleagues from work (also foreigners) that GC is a must-see. Two nights at either of those places.

Drive back to Las Vegas, two nights there and a flight to San Diego on Friday morning - flight back to Europe is Friday afternoon.

I don't like the long drive on Monday... I guess another option would be to fly from LA to Vegas and sacrifice Sequoia park / Death Valley for some comfort and an extra day on the later part of the trip.

I'd just fly. At this late a date if you were to book a flight the cost would be more than what you've got into the car. Then again, it's hard to argue with being comfortable.

• Locked thread