Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Carter lookin' pretty good in season 4. Her hair has entered the 21st century. Funny how a little change like that can make you stop looking like a 5th grade teacher or something.

edit: Oh snap Odo is in this episode.

edit2: Ok, this episode has my favorite exchange so far in the whole series.

Daniel: We came here to help them!
Teal'c: Is that not what we are doing Daniel Jackson?
Daniel: No, their whole world is in flames and we're offering gasoline, how does that help?
Teal'c: We are in fact offering them water.
Daniel: I was speaking metaphorically.
O'neill: Well stop it! It's not fair to Teal'c!

edit: Just finished "Window of Opportunity". This might be my new favorite episode, so hilarious. I really like the lighthearted episodes. The cast has good chemistry for stuff like this, it works in the same way the comedic episodes of the X-Files do.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Finished SG-1. The finale was a bit of a let down. I liked the story but we didn't get any kind of closure. My buddy said Ark of Truth is a better finale, so I'm hopin' for that to be good.

Overall, I loved SG-1. I liked it a lot better than the Treks, and I've been a huge Star Trek fan for a long time. I think it was the character driven plot and the epic stories that really reward longtime viewers. It was mostly monster of the week but they always threw in things from old episodes to keep you entwined.

Anyway I felt like I really got to know the characters over 10 seasons a lot better than any of the Treks. When Fred Willard came on the show and hosed Vala over I even felt bad for her.

The effects were great and still look great upscaled on my small HDTV from DVD. Overall I'm super glad I watched and it was totally worth the 60 bux I paid for the DVDs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, you have to keep in mind that they totally expected a season 11, 12 and 13 for SG1. It was a total surprise when they were canceled.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

That's actually rather good, isn't it? Did you plan to say that when you walked in?

Or was it just off the top of your head?

I still can't believe that they brought back all the old system lords for that and none of them looked like they'd aged a day. That is some spooky sfx or makeup skills or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, you have to keep in mind that they totally expected a season 11, 12 and 13 for SG1. It was a total surprise when they were canceled.

Season 11, anyway. Every year from 7 through 9 they assumed they weren't going to be picked up and left closure on the series. Series 10 they assumed they'd be picked up, left it open and promptly got cancelled.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Also why didn't Carter just use some time to get the shields back up to 100% so they could take a few more hits and fire back :what:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

Also why didn't Carter just use some time to get the shields back up to 100% so they could take a few more hits and fire back :what:

The beam was only a few feet from the ship, that'd be like rolling up your bulletproof window after the bullet was inside the car.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They got the news halfway through filming 200 I think. And yeah, Ark of Truth is the finale to the Ori arc and Continuum is the finale to the Goa'uld arc.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Everyone posted:

...Unending Chat...

What always bugged me most about that episode was the ending:
So, they resolve the thing by sending Teal'c back in time, right? Ok-- but afterwards, there's only the one Teal'c. Where did the Teal'c from the time frame wh(ere/en) he arrives go? Did he cease to exist? And if so, when exactly did he cease to exist? And why? And what causality questions does that raise? Not to mention the ethical questions?

Teal'c arrives still aged from the whole ordeal, so it wasn't just passing the information backwards, like they do in a number of other places in both Stargate and Star Trek; he physically travels back. This doesn't gel with any other use of time travel anywhere in the series and they never discuss or clarify it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blasphemeral posted:

So, they resolve the thing by sending Teal'c back in time, right? Ok-- but afterwards, there's only the one Teal'c. Where did the Teal'c from the time frame wh(ere/en) he arrives go? Did he cease to exist? And if so, when exactly did he cease to exist? And why? And what causality questions does that raise? Not to mention the ethical questions?

Teal'c arrives still aged from the whole ordeal, so it wasn't just passing the information backwards, like they do in a number of other places in both Stargate and Star Trek; he physically travels back. This doesn't gel with any other use of time travel anywhere in the series and they never discuss or clarify it.

This is kind of counter intuitive, but they didn't actually send Teal'c back in time so much as reverse time around Teal'c. The way they slowed time down around themselves relative to the rest of the universe is the same way they sent Teal'c back. Which sounds ludicrous when you think about it but what they did was literally rewind all of the reality they had experienced in time dilation relative to Teal'c. So unlike when you shoot a wormhole through a solar flare and actually go back in time where it's possible to meet yourself, there was only ever one Teal'c. They changed the passage of time in within bubbles: The first bubble slowed down time inside the ship relative to the outside world. This essentially froze the Ori weapons fire in place. The second reversed time inside the bubble except for a smaller bubble around Teal'c.
It's actually a really cool way to avoid about half of time travel paradoxes (can't do anything about the other half).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blasphemeral posted:

Indeed

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...do you not agree with my explanation?

In fact, that's the reason they can't send him back further in time, because they can only rewind to when they turned on the time dilation field

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

...do you not agree with my explanation?

In fact, that's the reason they can't send him back further in time, because they can only rewind to when they turned on the time dilation field

Yes, and its better to not think about time travel paradox since they never make 100% sense.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes, and its better to not think about time travel paradox since they never make 100% sense.

I actually think it's incredibly interesting which time-travel stories fall victim to which paradoxes, because they are often thematically relevant. There can't be time travel without paradoxes, this is just how causality works. BUT when you're creating a time-travel story, you can generally pick a few paradoxes that you hate and exclude them through the mechanics of your time travel. Or you can pick the paradoxes that you like and stick with them on purpose.

The Terminator franchise is a great example of this. Ever since Terminator 2: Judgement Day, the entire setting has become grandfather paradoxes all the way down. Both the heroes and the villains owe their existence to their future selves. The entire terminator setting becomes about fate and predestination, because no matter what Kyle Reese's message from future John to Sarah was, none of them can exist without Judgement Day coming to pass. Sequels and the TV series do something interesting with this, in that Judgement Day continues to be inevitable, but it is continuously delayed. The heroes are both literally and metaphorically staving off death.

This is totally different than say, Source Code, which is an absolutely fantastic movie that has it's own paradoxes that are very different both mechanically and thematically from Terminator 2's.

Looper has an entirely different system of causality, which, while ludicrous, is actually not unique to that film and is use in at least one other film (Frequency)

Now I don't think that you should obsess over the mechanics and implications of time travel at the expense of enjoyment, but that basically goes for things that happen in movies in general. I only really get annoyed when a movie uses one mechanism (storywise) that works in different and inconsistent ways within a single story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

I actually think it's incredibly interesting which time-travel stories fall victim to which paradoxes, because they are often thematically relevant. There can't be time travel without paradoxes, this is just how causality works. BUT when you're creating a time-travel story, you can generally pick a few paradoxes that you hate and exclude them through the mechanics of your time travel. Or you can pick the paradoxes that you like and stick with them on purpose.

The Terminator franchise is a great example of this. Ever since Terminator 2: Judgement Day, the entire setting has become grandfather paradoxes all the way down. Both the heroes and the villains owe their existence to their future selves. The entire terminator setting becomes about fate and predestination, because no matter what Kyle Reese's message from future John to Sarah was, none of them can exist without Judgement Day coming to pass. Sequels and the TV series do something interesting with this, in that Judgement Day continues to be inevitable, but it is continuously delayed. The heroes are both literally and metaphorically staving off death.

This is totally different than say, Source Code, which is an absolutely fantastic movie that has it's own paradoxes that are very different both mechanically and thematically from Terminator 2's.

Looper has an entirely different system of causality, which, while ludicrous, is actually not unique to that film and is use in at least one other film (Frequency)

Now I don't think that you should obsess over the mechanics and implications of time travel at the expense of enjoyment, but that basically goes for things that happen in movies in general. I only really get annoyed when a movie uses one mechanism (storywise) that works in different and inconsistent ways within a single story.

Ah you mean when you start off with a closed loop like Terminator and it suddenly follows Back to the Future?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Ah you mean when you start off with a closed loop like Terminator and it suddenly follows Back to the Future?

Yeah I don't care as much as long as it's separate movies. Terminator works differently than T2, T3 is :psyduck:, T4 has no time travel, and The Sarah Connor Chronicles continues the evolution between T1 and T2, by including flexible causality and predetermination. Each works thematically with the stories they are telling, so no I'm not mad that they don't all follow some meta-mechanics of time travel.

I'm trying to think of a really bad example, but I seem to purged most of them from my brain. I'm sure it will come to me...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've been watching Season 1 of SG-1 since it's currently running on TV here in the UK (on Pick if anyone's interested) I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far. I missed yesterday's episode, but since I bought the series on Itunes way back, I figured I could catch up that way.

Then I found out that episode was Emancipation. gently caress. That.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
another great Teal'c exchange from the otherwise forgetful episode "Prodigy"

Teal'c: Are you ready O'Neill?
O'Neill: No. Give me a warning.
(Teal'c raises Zat'Nik'Tel and points it at O'Neill)
Teal'c: I am going to shoot you.
O'Neill: I was thinking more along the lines of "on three".

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

bobkatt013 posted:

I love how that is an actual joke in the Stargate series.
Carter:Didn't you say there was no fish in your pond?
Oneil: Close enough.

Damo posted:

edit: Just finished "Window of Opportunity". This might be my new favorite episode, so hilarious. I really like the lighthearted episodes. The cast has good chemistry for stuff like this, it works in the same way the comedic episodes of the X-Files do.
I think Stargate has some of the best comedic sci-fi episodes I can think of. My favorite one being The Game.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 9, 2014

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And that actual joke within Stargate was based on one from The Simpsons, mentioned many times because RDA loved his Simpsons.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm not a Weir fan at all but just leaving her behind on the replicator planet was pretty fuckin' cold.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

alg posted:

I'm not a Weir fan at all but just leaving her behind on the replicator planet was pretty fuckin' cold.

I haven't seen that episode in awhile, but they didn't have much of a choice did they? John wanted to immediately go back too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

And that actual joke within Stargate was based on one from The Simpsons, mentioned many times because RDA loved his Simpsons.

And the Simpsons loves RDA well Selma and Patty do

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

bobkatt013 posted:

And the Simpsons loves RDA well Selma and Patty do

OH YEAH! I almost forgot about that! Their MacGyver obsession! That was hilarious as a kid!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wow that episode where Tayla takes Kaylee to the Athosian planet and treats her like a bitch child then fights Danny Trejo sure was somethin. Tayla is some kind of trader by day. What does Ronan do? Sparring partner?

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
Ronan is there to act like a total badass and that's about it

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

I love how that is an actual joke in the Stargate series.
Carter:Didn't you say there was no fish in your pond?
Oneil: Close enough.

Since that episode also works as a finale to that era of SG-1, I really like the idea that the fish thing is the ultimate point of the better part of a decade of the show.

"And that kids, is the story of how I met your mother got fish in my pond"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Greenllama posted:

Ronan is there to act like a total badass and that's about it

He's pretty good at it

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Senor Tron posted:

Since that episode also works as a finale to that era of SG-1, I really like the idea that the fish thing is the ultimate point of the better part of a decade of the show.

I pretty much consider this fact in my head. I wasn't a big fan of seasons nine and ten so the series ending with the pond joke is my personal canon; and I love it.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Season 1 of Atlantis is currently airing on SPACE, and I didn't realize how much of a dick Zalenka was (and annoying; now I kinda understand why Rodney gave him such a hard time) and how much of whiny baby Carson was. Zalenka kinda remained a dick to John, as he was super condescending to him even in the last season.

edit: added a spoiler tag in case people who haven't watched the series don't want to know who is still alive.

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 17, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

vandelay industries posted:

Season 1 of Atlantis is currently airing on SPACE, and I didn't realize how much of a dick Zalenka was and how much of whiny baby Carson was. Zalenka kinda remained a dick to John, as he was super condescending to him even in the last season.

I was hoping for something horrible to happen to him.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bobkatt013 posted:

I was hoping for something horrible to happen to him.

He was always second fiddle to Rodney no matter how brilliant he was. That's ego crushing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I always liked Zalenka as a character. He was a much needed "regular" expert in his field who wasn't super quirky and and given a blank check to do whatever he wanted. Maybe he's not a great guy but he works really, hard, he's really smart, and he seemed like a very human character, flaws and all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Funny you mention Zalenka for I've been catching up on Arrow and look who appears.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah I always liked Zalenka as a character. He was a much needed "regular" expert in his field who wasn't super quirky and and given a blank check to do whatever he wanted. Maybe he's not a great guy but he works really, hard, he's really smart, and he seemed like a very human character, flaws and all.

Zelenka supremacy. The episode where Rodney realizes the people on Atlantis are fake because Zelenka makes a bad mistake was :3:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

alg posted:

Zelenka supremacy. The episode where Rodney realizes the people on Atlantis are fake because Zelenka makes a bad mistake was :3:

The best thing about him is he was allowed to speak Czech, and since no one understood what he was saying was able to get past the censors.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just watched the Repli-Carter episode. I can't remember if that arc was terrible or interesting.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I just watched the Repli-Carter episode. I can't remember if that arc was terrible or interesting.

Terrible. Very, very, terrible.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Watching MacGyver on Netflix and Don S Davis (two different characters) and Christopher Judge have already appeared in episodes. One of them was trying to kill Macgyver in a pine forest and the other is a high school student who is about to learn some important life lessons from MacGyver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hank Morgan posted:

Watching MacGyver on Netflix and Don S Davis (two different characters) and Christopher Judge have already appeared in episodes. One of them was trying to kill Macgyver in a pine forest and the other is a high school student who is about to learn some important life lessons from MacGyver.

God dammit, I'm gonna have to start watching MacGyver after I finish Stargate, won't I?

(heh, might make sense, I guess? He's had enough of all the fighting, etc. from his earlier days, and has decided to become a pacifist?)