Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I, Butthole posted:

Because worse comes to worse they're tailored for a market that has a history of being consistently able to flip old, discontinued things at a reasonably high margin?

The article mentioned that the shelves that are replacing the expedit series will also be good for holding LPs. Does anyone know anything about those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Oh poo poo. I was there last week and they had them on sale. No kind of "end of line" markings on them though (they had other stuff with those tags). Now I'm kinda tempted to go and buy a big one, just in case.

That article says Germany so I guess I'll email IKEA Australia and ask if they're discontinuing it too. Also, make sure you put your expedit together properly.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paper With Lines posted:

Erm, my packaging looked nothing like that. Perhaps you got strange packaging. I ordered three records and this is what my stuff looked like:

sorry for the bad phone cam.

Yeah, mine looked like a crushed brown paper bag. You could tear it open. The inner cardboard was one rectangle folded in half.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
it's a shame that was the only shelf ever made that can fit a 12" record

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

it's a shame that was the only shelf ever made that can fit a 12" record

For 70 buck a shelf they're pretty cool.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
So Sears sent me someone else's order. Did anyone here order MIA's Matangi, Azaelia Banks' 1991 and The Roots' Game Theory, and if so, do you have my order?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

BigFactory posted:

For 70 buck a shelf they're pretty cool.

I never understood the collector mentality of spending thousands on items then storing them in one of the cheapest ways possible.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

midge posted:

I never understood the collector mentality of spending thousands on items then storing them in one of the cheapest ways possible.

Sorry, Uncle pennybags

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

midge posted:

More money for records? This isn't the shelf collector's thread after all.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

midge posted:

I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on beer and I didn't drink any of them from the Holy Grail or whatever.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
/\/\ Do you plan to store the beer long term for future enjoyment?

Collector forums estimate a 5x5 expedit can hold about 2500 records. Lets say the average record costs about $5, which is pretty conservative. You are willing to store $12,500 worth of stuff in something worth 1% of your investment?

I guess they are functional, but you pay for what you get.

midge fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 20, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

midge posted:

Collector forums estimate a 5x5 expedit can hold about 2500 records. Lets say the average record costs about $5, which is pretty conservative. You are willing to store $12,500 worth of stuff in something worth 1% of your investment?

And all this time I've been storing my records in free milk crates and cardboard boxes. :ohdear:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

midge posted:

I don't want to think about how much money I've spent on these things. Not even slightly.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

CPL593H posted:

I don't want to think about how much money I've spent on these things. Not even slightly.

Why do you think I used the word investment? No one wants to think about it. If that $130 shelf fucks up it will cost far more than that to replace the damage. Maybe I'm a little over protective, I was always the kid that bought a carry case for consoles and poo poo. Buy cheap buy twice.

wa27 posted:

And all this time I've been storing my records in free milk crates

I'd argue those milk crates are worth more than an expedit. In Toronto they changed the milk crates a while ago and they no longer fit 12" records. The old style ones are pretty sought after!

$13 each. http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10000531&N=&Ntt=milk+. You'd need about 25 for the same storage as an expedit, costing twice as much for a solution!

midge fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 20, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

midge posted:

Why do you think I used the word investment? No one wants to think about it. If that $130 shelf fucks up it will cost far more than that to replace the damage. Maybe I'm a little over protective, I was always the kid that bought a carry case for consoles and poo poo. Buy cheap buy twice.

I'd argue those milk crates are worth more than an expedit. In Toronto they changed the milk crates a while ago and they no longer fit 12" records. The old style ones are pretty sought after!

$13 each. http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10000531&N=&Ntt=milk+. You'd need about 25 for the same storage as an expedit, costing twice as much for a solution!

Midge, this isn't the :retrogames: thread! These shelves are only holding records, not sega genesis games.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't pay more than 2 bucks for a record usually. And I paid $35 for my expedit cause it had a ding.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I bought a couple of 2x2 Expedits a couple months ago and they're great. Still have plenty of space for more records, and they feel pretty sturdy even with my ridiculously heavy receiver on top. Used to store my records in milk crates, but the cat loves to walk all over things that I don't want him walking on, and obviously that poo poo don't fly.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

memy posted:

So Sears sent me someone else's order. Did anyone here order MIA's Matangi, Azaelia Banks' 1991 and The Roots' Game Theory, and if so, do you have my order?

Same deal here. Got an order that looks like it was supposed to go to Germany, with two T-Rex albums, not the Modest Mouse, Kanye West, and Tool albums I was expecting. Good going, Sears...

Edit: Anyone else notice that the item numbers are all the same in the Sears order confirmation email? Sent an email to their customer service to see if it can be cleared up.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 21, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BigFactory posted:

I've only bought a few records from amazon but their packaging is way better. My order from sears basically came in a brown paper bag with a little cardboard sleeve inside.

This is the kind I got too. My stuff got here fine but I was a little worried when I saw that crappy wrapper.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Same deal here. Got an order that looks like it was supposed to go to Germany, with two T-Rex albums, not the Modest Mouse, Kanye West, and Tool albums I was expecting. Good going, Sears...

Edit: Anyone else notice that the item numbers are all the same in the Sears order confirmation email? Sent an email to their customer service to see if it can be cleared up.

they did you a huge favor

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

stay depressed posted:

they did you a huge favor

I'd actually be happy to keep them if I didn't already have both of them!

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
that is not the favor they did

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Sears won vinyl. All of this was roughly two hundred United States dollars.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I rock these, lined with cardboard

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I just use liquor store boxes. I'm a bad person yeah.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here's an interesting though probably unplayable release, a 17" record:

quote:

artist: Unholy Triforce
title: Transcryptions
format: one-sided 17" lathe cut record - polycarbonate - clear - mono
copies: 37 hand-numbered copies
music: For UNHOLY TRIFORCE, "normal" has never been an option. With every format choice comes a new, disappointment-filled realization that it's most likely unplayable in its delivered form. However, a solution is always possible. With Transcryptions, UNHOLY TRIFORCE have crafted one of the largest records ever available to the public, on a nearly imcomprehendable 17 INCH circle of clear polycarbonate. The sheer size of the record, while intimidating enough alone, is in reality only the first set of multiple playback hindrances. The concept & title is an homage to the classic 16" transcription record, often used in radio broadcasts for longer segments of uninterrupted playback - and notably unique in that they must be played on similarly oversized "transcription" turntables. So what does this mean for the listener?

Transcryptions has been created as a 17" circle, 1 inch too large for a transcription turntable to play. The audio content, which is to be played at 17 RPM for correct pitch and speed, has been cut at the mark where a 13" record would begin. With the knowledge & intention that a user can cut off the 2" of blank circumfrence around the outside of the record, the audio would still effectively be 1 inch too large for a normal turntable to play. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Notice: Due to the hand-made nature of lathe cut records, the fidelity & consistency of each copy will vary slightly. An assortment of audio ailments such as dropouts, warble, pitch-bending, static, crackle, hiss & extreme frequency shifting are to be expected, and all flaws which may arise are entirely condoned as adding cohesion to the release concept.
packaging: Circular 17" lathe cut record cut into 1/16" thick clear polycarbonate, housed inside custom white envelope with black hand-stamped printing.

Sold out.

http://aurisapothecary.org/AAX-037.html

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
So, I picked up a Technics SL-B300 the other day, what is a good pre-amp and such to go with it? Just an el cheapo one from amazon?

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Deargodalion posted:

So, I picked up a Technics SL-B300 the other day, what is a good pre-amp and such to go with it? Just an el cheapo one from amazon?

Most are around the same until you start buying poo poo with tubes and all that jazz.

IKEA (Australia) just emailed me back to confirm that the Expedit is indeed being replaced. :(

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Hopefully the new one comes in 3x2. It will be glorious if it does

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Not sure if I want to go down this well but does anyone use a tube preamp and if so, which one?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I've had multiple tube phonostages and am currently using a Bellari VP130 w/ a NOS Mullard and a Denon MC. The Bellari is pretty cheap for a decent pre but the stock powersupply sucks. Unless you're really happy with everything else there's probably a better part of your chain to spend cash as far as bang for your buck goes.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I saw Phantogram last night and got this:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

^^^ I've always wanted to get a certain album autographed I just don't know how I feel about asking for it

Sears order just arrived in some kind of recycled cardboard packaging. No damage at all, got the right LPs, stoked :)

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Let's say I get to pick between a Technics 1210 Mk2 in a reasonable state and a Rega RP1 with the 'performance pack', with the Technics being slightly more expensive - which of the two is my better option for hifi (but not quite :psyboom:-levels of audiophile) listening?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Badly Jester posted:

Let's say I get to pick between a Technics 1210 Mk2 in a reasonable state and a Rega RP1 with the 'performance pack', with the Technics being slightly more expensive - which of the two is my better option for hifi (but not quite :psyboom:-levels of audiophile) listening?

You can't go wrong with either. Rega's are sexy as all get out though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'd say Technics, but I do love me some direct drive.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My new fun way to use Discogs is to keep open a tab of "collection with statistics" and occasionally refresh to see how the market is treating my collection value. This is only for entertainment value, since they don't give you any info on which sales are affecting price estimates, but it's fun to see the fluctuations.

For example, yesterday I refreshed the tab and the minimum went up $70. I'd really like to know what sold to make it change that much, because that might mean it's a good time to sell certain records. Or maybe they are including records that previously didn't have enough sales for a price estimate. The collection management tools are pretty limited, so I'll have to settle for my stupid number watching. :smith:

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010
Received my five orders from Sears yesterday and was very satisfied. Everything was in great shape and exactly what I expected. The packaging was weird though. Two came in solid LP mailers, 2 came in flimsy paper cardboard wrap, and one was a bigger box, with a large LP mailer sitting inside and air cushions on top. Nothing I ordered was any bigger than a typical 2xLP gatefold, so I don't quite understand the difference in packaging. Here's what I got:

Tenacious D - Self-titled 12th anniv edition
Wilco - Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and A Ghost is Born
Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat 2xLP expanded Edition.
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape, Wasting Light
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Circulatory System - Signal Morning
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Elliott Smith - Either/Or, Figure 8
The Raconteurs - Counselors of the Lonely
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

All for under $250. Just the Wilco and Foo Fighters albums would have been at least half that at my local store. Thank you Chim for bringing attention to that site. It's crazy, and I'm very tempted to go look for more...

Handshake Drugs fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 22, 2014

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Got my Sears order too! It had a gash in the packaging, so I was worried, but the actual records were immaculate. So impressed with this!

And the Nilsson tribute (which is great, btw, and features his daughter on one of the songs) is yellow! A great surprise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If sears is anything like macys, they ship product from stores, which might be what's with the different packaging. When my wife orders nail polish she'll get things from surrounding cities, depending on where its in stock I guess.