Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, this is where I started tonight:

this is where I am now:

Basically - Complete 2000 R1 with a bad transmission, complete 2001 R1 ex-trackbike in boxes, EVERYTHING from the 2001 into the 2000 frame.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I pulled the forks with GP cartridges and penske shock off of the R6 to get setup for the 675. Turns out I lost a shaft that goes in the lower pivot on the stock shock, so the R6 is hanging from the rafters until its delivered.

I got the power commander in, and ordered some clip-ons. Its getting closer to being a nicely setup track bike... It still looks like its been stolen and crashed a few times though.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Mayor Poopenmayer posted:

Replaced the indicator flasher, the old one was sticking
$11 for a generic one, $70 for an OEM Honda part...
Now I'm having trouble finding a universal headlight with an 18-20 cm distance between mounting points, because screw paying $100 for a chrome ring and another $100 for the plastic shell of the headlight
Being poor for the next few months sucks :(

I got a headlight from a GS550 for about $30 shipped on eBay. I will measure it and see how far apart the mounting points are. It's about an inch narrow for my mounts so I had to make spacers to fit it. One from a GSX750-1100 would have fit perfectly. It looks like the light from a late 70's-early 80's CB750 would work as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

I pulled the forks with GP cartridges and penske shock off of the R6 to get setup for the 675. Turns out I lost a shaft that goes in the lower pivot on the stock shock, so the R6 is hanging from the rafters until its delivered.

I got the power commander in, and ordered some clip-ons. Its getting closer to being a nicely setup track bike... It still looks like its been stolen and crashed a few times though.

Well it's already been stolen and crashed a few times so that means you dont need to have those things happen to it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Installed a mini tank bag on the mini gas tank on the WR250X. Wolfman Enduro Pocket and yes I have it farther forward than recommended.

Waiting on my Kriega backpack to show up and I'll be ready to commute full time (more comfortably) on it. Also need to pick a rear luggage rack at some point.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Does anyone make wrist/shoulder badge holders? I'm almost picturing like a quarterback playbook type thing but a bit smaller.

Going into work I need to pass through two security gates, it's a bit annoying to slow down, stop, neutral, get badge out of shoulder cell phone holder on backpack, show to guard, put badge back in holder x2. Both stops are on slight incline/decline so I have to keep one foot or hand on the brake.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Gillingham posted:

Does anyone make wrist/shoulder badge holders? I'm almost picturing like a quarterback playbook type thing but a bit smaller.

Going into work I need to pass through two security gates, it's a bit annoying to slow down, stop, neutral, get badge out of shoulder cell phone holder on backpack, show to guard, put badge back in holder x2. Both stops are on slight incline/decline so I have to keep one foot or hand on the brake.

I clip my badge holder onto my keyring so it's out when I go through the gate. I do have a badge holder that I can pull the badge out and put it back in with my gloves on, though.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Realized too late I totally put this in the wrong thread. Wonder how hard it would be to attach a janitors extending keychain thing to the bike and just have it on there during the commute in. Our badge holders are hard plastic things that I don't think I could get the badge itself out to show if it was directly attached to my keychain unfortunately.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Gillingham posted:

Realized too late I totally put this in the wrong thread. Wonder how hard it would be to attach a janitors extending keychain thing to the bike and just have it on there during the commute in. Our badge holders are hard plastic things that I don't think I could get the badge itself out to show if it was directly attached to my keychain unfortunately.

I'd glue a strong magnet to the back of your plastic ID protector, and slap it on the tank/etc for your ride in. Once you're inside your work secure OPSEC Solid Snake Nuclear Facility you could clip it back onto your lanyard or whatever. Note: if your badge is RFID for card-access doors, the magnet could gently caress with the chip. You might explain your situation to your Security department and see if they can issue you a second, plain-plastic ID with no RFID chip that you could use solely for presenting ID at the gates. The ID/access system at my work allows for multiple badges issued, and we can print the ID on either a pricey numbered RFID access card or a plain ten-cent plastic blank.

From the sounds of your gate situation, I'd hazard a guess at you being military in which case they're probably going to be wary about issuing a second card. If that's the case, try the magnet thing and if it fucks up your accesses just feign ignorance and turn it in for a new one.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Something like this? http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/suit-accessories/aerostich-hd-sleeve-window-pocket.html

They've got one that's just velcro on the back too.

For super cheap option, maybe you could put it on a lanyard around your neck. I think that would be easy to pull out with your gloves still on.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I bought the worlds cutest babby oxy/propane torch set and celebrated by brazing a thing:

Stealth mode...

...engage!

Inspired by the vintage Snuff-or-Not:

Before anyone suggests it, yes, I'm working on one that can be operated from the handle bars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ReelBigLizard posted:

I bought the worlds cutest babby oxy/propane torch set and celebrated by brazing a thing:
Stealth mode...

...engage!

Oh that is great, should be relatively easy to throw a 90 elbow on there then run a push/pull cable back.

Gillingham posted:

I'm looking for the same thing at the moment. I was using a magnetic tank bag with a clear window on the SV but switching to a supermoto with a plastic tank is making things difficult.

If you have a 'stich suit you could use a leg mounted one - http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-left-leg-map-pocket.html
If you have a metal tank a small bag like this would work - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/saddlemen-e-pak-gps-tank-bag
A guy at work uses an arm band ID holder - https://www.amazon.com/Military-Armband-Holder-Black-Raine/dp/B004MG90KE
I remember seeing a clear badge holder that attached to the straps on a backpack but I haven't been able to track one down yet...you'd think they would be easy to find.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 21, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I give it all of 30 minutes before the ktm chews that up and blows it out.

But I think it's rad anyways.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
On the pass holder thing - if you have a military surplus store (or a more hardcore camping store) nearby you should be able to pick up a wrist-mounted map holder thing (I'm not sure what they're properly called) which sounds like it would suit your needs perfectly, it's a waterproof plastic pocket with two velcro straps. A friend has one he uses for his phone, I can probably find out brand name etc for you if you can't find one.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

nsaP posted:

Check out youtube for some videos of putting bikes on the center stand. 300 lbs or 800, it's not too much difference in effort. It's all about where you pull.

For me, I don't pull on the bars at all. I push down on the center stand till it touches then tip the bike to the right so both the feet are touching. Then put weight on the stand while pulling up on the rear on the bike. Up, not back.

nice tip, breh. that worked quite well.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I give it all of 30 minutes before the ktm chews that up and blows it out.

But I think it's rad anyways.
Yours chewed up and spit out the Leo Vince insert... Followed by the rest of the muffler.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Just for fun. 06 R6 calipers, EBC EPFA pads, speed bleeders, TWF spacers

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I need to order the same setup for my 675 - I have the calipers already, but I need the spacers...or to just buy a lathe...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
$35 shipped was cheap enough to throw some money at Zoran, in my mind. :)

I'm going to laugh when I go out next month and decide I should move down to a SV to improve more quickly.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 21, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

$35 shipped was cheap enough to throw some money at Zoran, in my mind. :)

I'm going to laugh when I go out next month and decide I should move down to a SV to improve more quickly.

Yeah they're cheap enough, I just don't know what variation in spacing I need. I just need to pull the calipers and measure things but I'm being lazy, plus I have the RS125 to play with :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Just for fun. 06 R6 calipers, EBC EPFA pads, speed bleeders, TWF spacers

Thrill me: what are speed bleeders?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Goddamned loving magic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

A little check valve that you screw into your brake system to help with bleeding the brakes. The valve closes under spring tension when there's no hydraulic pressure on it, but when there is, it pops open to let fluid out. So all you have to do to bleed the bubbles out of your lines is loosen a locknut on the speed bleeder, put a bucket underneath, pump the brake lever a bunch of times until the bubbles have all squirted out, close the locknut and clean up.

I don't know why I know this since I don't have hydraulic brakes but if I did you can bet I'd have some of those installed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
There's not even a locknut, you loosen the whole bleed screw 1/4 turn and then you pump the brake until no bubbles come out, then close it. Done. I have speed bleeders on everything I own that has hydraulic brakes.

Edit: Ofc, KTM has their own original speed bleeder to accessorize your bike with. :v:

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 22, 2014

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
New battery, adjusted the clutch and fresh brake fluid. It was my first time doing brake fluid and eventually I just stopped pumping new though because there was no color difference, the 1.5 year old stuff still looked fine. So is there a ballpark figure on how much fluid the lines/calipers contain compared to the reservoir? I added about two reservoir-worths of new fluid.

Also other Buell owners, would you classify the throttle return as sluggish compared to other bikes? It returns fine but I've never managed to get it as snappy as some other bikes I've tried (various 80s Yamahas and a Sportster), it doesn't really have much pull resistance either. Maybe it just uses a weird spring, and the routing doesn't help either, contains a 90 degree bend near the throttle body and another 90 degree bend up in the throttle housing.

Edit: Also, of course I stripped my brake reservoir screws, drilled them out and replaced them with allen heads.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 22, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

New starter fixed the issues with the scoot, runs like a champ now. Also spent about 3 hours detailing it and cleaning it up :)

Before:

After:

:getin:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's a shiny goddamned scooter. Can it wheelie?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Armchair Calvinist posted:

That's a shiny goddamned scooter. Can it wheelie?

It went 12mph up the hill around the corner from my apartment :btroll:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, I have the new engine in the R1, the forks swapped, the wheels swapped, etc and I'm running the loving harness. Of course, it appears the ECU changed and the harness changed from 2000 to 2001 - I've got goddamn 3 ECUs and 5 wiring harnesses so I need to figure out what the gently caress works. I'm too tired for this poo poo.
4xv-82305-30 vs 5jj-82305-40
One lists as a 98-99 ECU and the other as a 00-01 ECU. I have no idea whats going on here since I have no parts from a 99. Whatever, it'll work.

I'm so... tired... ramble ramble

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 23, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Model year =/= production date. That's why.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Model year =/= production date. That's why.

Good point. :v: I guess I plan on using the 2001 ECU and harness. That comes tonight.

For my bike - OEM to R6 calipers with TWF spacers

to

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 23, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have (I think) the same factory tokico calipers on my ZX10. How big is the difference, really? Is it just feel or do they actually stop harder?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm a mere mortal :) Makes changing pads far easier since you pull two R clips and slap new pads in. Also bling. gently caress it. Definitely more wooden feel to the lever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bling, f'sho. So it's only got four brake pads instead of eight?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Four pads in the pair of GSXR Tokikos, same with the R6. :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just finished up doing valves, carb sync, plugs and coolant on my 500R. To do the carb sync I built a dirt-simple manometer out of a board, some clear tubing and some Sta-Bil, and it worked hilariously well.

The bike runs like a motherfucker now. I just need a new set of tires and it'll be all caught up.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Don't know if it counts, but I posted my scooter for sale today.

Let's just hope it will be bye bye scooter soon :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Four pads in the pair of GSXR Tokikos, same with the R6. :)

My bike has eight pads on the front end :smith: I guess they're only superficially similar to the gixxer brakes.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just finished up doing valves, carb sync, plugs and coolant on my 500R. To do the carb sync I built a dirt-simple manometer out of a board, some clear tubing and some Sta-Bil, and it worked hilariously well.

The bike runs like a motherfucker now. I just need a new set of tires and it'll be all caught up.

Like a raped ape :eng101:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Saturday was new chain and sprocket day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My first instinct was to be concerned about the amount of rust on that chain. The amount of very even, slightly off-color rust only on the side plates...