Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Haiku posted:

Anyone have any Battle Maison teams I could look at to get some ideas? I only just realized how much grinding I'm going to need. :negative:

For Singles I swear by the strategy of M-Scizor, Water Type, and Dragon Type. Scizor - Greninja - Dragonite is a pretty solid squad, for example. Also decent is Scizor-Azumarill-Goodra. Scizor is a defensive juggernaut that overcomes just about anything but a fire-type in the Maison while setting up to +6 Atk and having a priority move. Your other two pokemon are there to remove fire types or can sometimes just sweep on their own too.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Okay, the Psychic Gym is cool as hell. We've come a long way since Sabrina's dull rooms with teleporters

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

mfcrocker posted:

Okay, the Psychic Gym is cool as hell. We've come a long way since Sabrina's dull rooms with teleporters

Too bad the Fairy lady just stole that idea instead :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Captain Pissweak posted:

Too bad the Fairy lady just stole that idea instead :v:

Haha yeah, gently caress that gym.

Man, even the battle field for the Psychic gym owns. It makes me a little sad because there's very little chance the E4 is going to be as sweet-looking as this

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would like to see a gym that is a wide open area, filled with trainers actually training their dudes and notably without some dumbass puzzle to waste the time of people entering.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mfcrocker posted:

Haha yeah, gently caress that gym.

Man, even the battle field for the Psychic gym owns. It makes me a little sad because there's very little chance the E4 is going to be as sweet-looking as this

The Elite 4 is so over the top in gen 6, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Elite 4 is so over the top in gen 6, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yay! :dance: Gotta say, I'm definitely enjoying this gen like it's 1998, despite having played every gen so far.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Is there a good way to trade for Pokebank stuff on gts? Usually I had an easy time finding trades for version exclusives a few months back, but most of the Pokebank Pokemon I looked at are all generic X legendary fodder.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

Anyone have any Battle Maison teams I could look at to get some ideas? I only just realized how much grinding I'm going to need. :negative:

I've found that when assembling a Maison team grinding isn't actually that much of an issue once you're at a high enough Chateau rank, and neither is EV training, really. The main annoyance is long breeding chains just to get a perfect set of egg moves and IVs.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Just got my first shiny post Shiny Charm. I assume it was a Masuda Method one, since I was breeding Mareep with Perfect Stud Ditto.

Unfortunately, it's got completely wrong IV's for it's nature, and I wouldn't use a shiny one as part of my Mega evo collection anyways. Into the box for eternity my little pink sheep goes.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Crawfish posted:

Unfortunately, it's got completely wrong IV's for it's nature, and I wouldn't use a shiny one as part of my Mega evo collection anyways. Into the box for eternity my little pink sheep goes.

Just wanted you to know you're an awful person. That sheep deserves better.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Filthy Haiku posted:

I've found that Drizzle teams still mess the Maison up pretty well. Politoed and Kingdra/Ludicolo don't share any weaknesses even though they're all water types. Throw in a Scizor to deal with special tanks/grass types and it's pretty solid.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 20, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I haven't played X/Y yet but just learned that apparently Mewtwo isn't one-of-a-kind anymore. Somebody explain this bullshit.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Esroc posted:

I haven't played X/Y yet but just learned that apparently Mewtwo isn't one-of-a-kind anymore. Somebody explain this bullshit.

It's a clone. They cloned more of them, duh.

I am Reverend posted:

I've found that Drizzle teams still mess the Maison up pretty well. Politoed and Kingdra/Ludicolo don't share any weaknesses even though they're all water types. Throw in a Scizor to deal with special tanks/grass types and it's pretty solid.

Scizor is really one of the best pokemon for Maison. It's basically immune to status and has the bulk to handle so many things. Having only one weakness is also really nice. Bullet Punch and X-Scissor (or another move) might not have a lot of punch but Swords Dance helps with that and there's almost always something you can set up on.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHBc6RtW9y0

This video is going around.

Esroc posted:

Mewtwo is one of a kind in each video game. However, to keep the story alive, as far as the game world is concerned the trainer from the previous games only fainted the legendary Pokemon instead of catching them. The only exception being Black/White where it forced you to catch Reshiram/Zekrom.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Blhue posted:

I would like to see a gym that is a wide open area, filled with trainers actually training their dudes and notably without some dumbass puzzle to waste the time of people entering.

Cheren's Gym, B2W2, large battlefield in the back of a school, just fight two trainers, then the leader.

Esroc posted:

You probably shouldn't watch Movie 16 then. :v:

:eyepop:

Good that they're actually confirmed instead of being somewhat able to doubt. Shame they don't have anything new (just assign Pokemon a Levitate trait like some moves have a sound trait instead of slapping it on loads of others) and their design is... pretty bad, why do they look pretty much the same apart from the eyes? It looks kinda last minute, really.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 20, 2014

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Random question: Most online resources suggest Return as the penultimate physical Normal move because of it's high base power, but this only really works for simulators since you can just set the happiness value there. What's the best way to go for Return/Frustration on an actual in game mon that's going to be sitting in my box 99% of the time? Will it's happiness eventually rest at 1 making Frustration the better choice or is there some way to keep happiness from degrading in the box?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Pokémon maintain their happiness when put in a box so Return is what you should be using.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LanceKing2200 posted:

Random question: Most online resources suggest Return as the penultimate physical Normal move because of it's high base power, but this only really works for simulators since you can just set the happiness value there.

When you say penultimate, what normal type move are you suggesting that is better than Return?

Double-Edge is pretty good but most sweepers actually prefer Return, notable exceptions being anything Reckless (mostly Staraptor).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

LanceKing2200 posted:

Random question: Most online resources suggest Return as the penultimate physical Normal move because of it's high base power, but this only really works for simulators since you can just set the happiness value there. What's the best way to go for Return/Frustration on an actual in game mon that's going to be sitting in my box 99% of the time? Will it's happiness eventually rest at 1 making Frustration the better choice or is there some way to keep happiness from degrading in the box?

Happiness doesn't really decay ever and it's basically trivial to max out so don't ever run Frustration.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Ok, thanks. For some reason I remember happiness decaying down to a certain level when mons sit in the box.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LanceKing2200 posted:

Happiness won't degrade unless you let your Pokemon faint often, feed them herbal medicine or just do stuff they don't like. You cannot lose happiness through neglect. The easiest way I've found to raise happiness is to run the Pokemon once through Le Wow's rotation because you'll get a ton of levels and Pokemon get quite a bit of happiness from levels, and then after that just give the Pokemon a soothe bell and bike around the Eiffel Tower. This works a little better for hatched Pokemon because hatched Pokemon start with 40 more happiness than caught Pokemon, which is over 50% more than what they start with (normally, it's 70, hatched starts with 110).

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

LanceKing2200 posted:

Ok, thanks. For some reason I remember happiness decaying down to a certain level when mons sit in the box.

Pokemon's happiness value used to decrease every time you'd put it in a box, but that hasn't been the case since Gen 2. I know that because Pikachu was a bitch to keep happy :argh:

I'm super angry at how useless Ledian is. He's the cutest thing and I wanna use him so badly but he's offering me nothing. poo poo stats, inconsistent move pool and abilities (Iron Fist and none of the elemental punches?) and the only thing he has going is okay Speed and a bizarrely high Special Defense.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zoness posted:

When you say penultimate, what normal type move are you suggesting that is better than Return?

Double-Edge is pretty good but most sweepers actually prefer Return, notable exceptions being anything Reckless (mostly Staraptor).

The physical equivalent to Hyper Beam probably. I forget its name because who the gently caress uses it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blhue posted:

The physical equivalent to Hyper Beam probably. I forget its name because who the gently caress uses it.

GIGA IMPACTO is 100% the best move ever ever.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

horriblePencilist posted:

I'm super angry at how useless Ledian is. He's the cutest thing and I wanna use him so badly but he's offering me nothing. poo poo stats, inconsistent move pool and abilities (Iron Fist and none of the elemental punches?) and the only thing he has going is okay Speed and a bizarrely high Special Defense.

It's pretty amazing how terrible a lot of older Pokemon are.

Ledian did not get a STAB move in Gen II, it wasn't until Gen III when it could learn Silver Wind... as an egg move.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dr Pepper posted:

Ledian did not get a STAB move in Gen II, it wasn't until Gen III when it could learn Silver Wind... as an egg move.

Look at Pinsir. It had toget pissed and practically hack the game to get a better STAB attack than "Scizor's leftover garbage".

E: G/S Gyarados was even worse, and don't get me started on Togepi and Marill...

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 20, 2014

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
For all the Pokebank users out there you can renew your subscription today! It asks you in game if you have 14 or less days remaining and it adds 365 days to your remaining total.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr Pepper posted:

The first couple of Gens were really experimental, which explains why so many of the pokemon from those eras were such garbage. Especially Bug pokemon who had to wait until Gen IV before Gamefreak started taking them seriously.

Ledian is one that really stands out because the little ladybug power ranger just seems so thoroughly screwed that you'd swear Gamefreak had a grudge against it despite its unique look.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Lots of pokemon are bad on purpose because they're meant to be used in the early part of the single player campaign, and frequently have niches in certain parts of those games. The early-game bugs and the late-game dragons are the most extreme examples of this. You're not really meant to use Butterfree or Ledian past the midgame or so, and you're not really meant to use Axew or Dratini at all, since by the time they're available your party will be in the 50s-60s, which happens to be when the dragons evolve. Of course, this means that a lot of cool pokemon from the first three generations like Kricketune and Beedrill are kind of competitive casualties, but it's pretty well-recorded that GF and TPC didn't care about competitive pokemon until well into generation 4. There's always the lower tiers on Smogon!

vvv Give it speed boost so it can baton pass in NU! :shepface:

Sade fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 20, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If you got into the Beta competition, it starts tonight (check the Global Link site to see if you got in). Players will be limited to no more than 20 battles in the competition per day. Pokemon will be set to level 30 in the battles, and it looks like all Pokemon can be used (whether they're from Kalos or not) except for the various title legendaries and Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect.

As for Ledian, how would you even fix it? Its stats are so fundamentally broken that no move or ability would save it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ Swap special def with speed, speed with attack, give him the elemental punches, power-up punch, megahorn for STAB and pursuit for options. Have him carry Iron Fist, a Focus Sash and Drain Punch and you have a glass cannon that can restore his health almost instantly.

Sade posted:

Lots of pokemon are bad on purpose because they're meant to be used in the early part of the single player campaign, and frequently have niches in certain parts of those games. The early-game bugs and the late-game dragons are the most extreme examples of this. You're not really meant to use Butterfree or Ledian past the midgame or so, and you're not really meant to use Axew or Dratini at all, since by the time they're available your party will be in the 50s-60s, which happens to be when the dragons evolve. Of course, this means that a lot of cool pokemon from the first three generations like Kricketune and Beedrill are kind of competitive casualties, but it's pretty well-recorded that GF and TPC didn't care about competitive pokemon until well into generation 4. There's always the lower tiers on Smogon!

The different purposes of types between single- and multiplayer have always bothered me. Giving Dragon resistance towards the starters and weak to only the 2 rarest types makes sense for the game but is absolutely dumb from a competitive standpoint.

Also I wish GF would fix Rock. Rock is supposed to be sturdy yet it's the worst defensive type next to Ice and extremely useful when used offensively. How did that happen?

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 20, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sade posted:

Lots of pokemon are bad on purpose because they're meant to be used in the early part of the single player campaign.

This argument has been made and it's a crap argument, especially with the availability of Hidden Abilities. Talonflame has unexciting stats without gale wings, and Gale Wings Talonflame isn't accessible until you've beaten the game.

The real reason is that they're bad because they're bad and TPCI / Game Freak / Nintendo simply don't care.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 20, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sade posted:

vvv Give it speed boost so it can baton pass in NU! :shepface:

Axew is available, readily, before the second gym on a required path in X/Y and Gible is right outside of Gym 4 while Goomy is right after gym 5. Gible was available right after the second gym in Platinum. Dratini was available from the game corner for a pittance in R/B and FR/LG etc. I don't buy that you aren't supposed to use them.

Part of the problem with the last few gens is that you have a spread of pokemon like Beedrill, and pokemon like Absol (base 130 attack) or Axew (Haxorus has 147 base attack) available within a very short distance of each other.

And then you have poo poo like Houndour and Murkrow only existing in the postgame until the fourth generation. There isn't really a rhyme or reason to how they distribute poo poo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also I actually used a Haxorus in my playthrough of B/W :colbert:. Also keep in mind that you had access to 2 non-starter fire types in D/P (not Pt) before the E4, and that they're both crap.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Zore posted:

Axew is available, readily, before the second gym on a required path in X/Y and Gible is right outside of Gym 4 while Goomy is right after gym 5. Gible was available right after the second gym in Platinum. Dratini was available from the game corner for a pittance in R/B and FR/LG etc. I don't buy that you aren't supposed to use them.

Part of the problem with the last few gens is that you have a spread of pokemon like Beedrill, and pokemon like Absol (base 130 attack) or Axew (Haxorus has 147 base attack) available within a very short distance of each other.

And then you have poo poo like Houndour and Murkrow only existing in the postgame until the fourth generation. There isn't really a rhyme or reason to how they distribute poo poo.

Don't forget the Bagons right after Axew, Trapinchs alongside Gible and the Riolus before the first gym.

edit: I'd actually say late game mons are more of a liability early game. They level up slowly, their pre-evolutions have underwhelming stats and a lot of them don't learn good attacks at all until later. The early accessibility of dragons in X/Y really give the player scalable difficulty as they'll have a harder time training up a Bagon than a Scatterbug.

VV Also keep in mind almost all builds of every high tier pokemon has at least one move it would only learn through a tutor or egg move.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Everytime this argument comes up it never addresses the fact that the early game is balanced around every pokemon having poo poo stats and poo poo moves because they are all low levels. Even a fully evolved pokemon isn't going to accomplish much if all it has access to is tackle and sand attack. Your movepool matters more than your stats at low levels, so even if Beedrill and all the other crappy early bug pokemon had decent stats they still wouldn't be able to demolish* the early game without good moves to back them up.

*any more than other pokemon do at least. I mean all the starters are good stat wise so its not like they don't want you getting your hands on good pokemon early; they flat out give you one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

horriblePencilist posted:

Don't forget the Bagons right after Axew and the Riolus before the first gym.

Yeah, X/Y give you access to almost every dragon before the fourth gym

Dratini
Druddrigon
Alteria
Noibat
Deino

Are the only non-legendaries you can't get at that point and they're all around Victory road.

If anything X/Y seems to frontload the powerful ones and hold back the weaker poo poo. Which is kind of hilarious. And these aren't the mons weak at low levels either; Gible evolves at 24 and 48 and Gabite has roughly equivalent stats to Beedrill. And it gets really good moves via level up and can be taught a lot of early TMs. Ditto Axew who learns Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw and can learn Dig while having comparable stats to Gabite in his base form.

For comparison, Axew gets Dual Chop three levels before Beedrill gets Twineedle. One of those is pretty clearly superior.

The first time Beedrill gets a comparative value STAB move? Level 38. And its Poison Jab.

Butterfree doesn't get a good Bug move until level 42. Vivillon doesn't until level 35.

Better early moves or stats is pretty bullshit.

EDIT: Its not even like all Bugs uniformly suck. You can get Venipede early and he wipes the loving floor with Beedrill/Butterfree and the like because he has good stats and the ability to learn things like Megahorn, Earthquake, Rock Slide etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 20, 2014

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

A wizard hacker has posted footage of Mega Latios and Mega Latias.

They don't change type or ability, and their stat spreads are (Latias) 80\100\120\140\150\110 / (Latios) 80\130\100\160\120\110. A far cry from the fake leak, huh?

e: they're blocked from being traded, so he can't make good on his offer.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They've only blocked the Megastones. Someone's already managed to decrypt the Box data so that you can view the Egg shiny values and IVs again.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?37221-%28X-Y%29-KeySAV-Box-Data-Viewer

It's only going to be a matter of days before someone figures out editing.

• Locked thread