Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it would be fine if the person writing Nintendo's tweets were a funny person, it's just that they're not.

They could learn a thing or two from Paulo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Anyone know how the sales are doing relative to the Xbox One? I keep hearing how the Ps4 outsold the Xbox One 2 to 1, but no-one ever mentions the WiiU in a similar ratio.
6 weeks after launch each console had 4.2m sold, 3m sold, <2m sold. In January this year specifically the numbers were ~280k, 145k, <50k, Wii U was outsold by the PS3. Wii U has been outsold by the PS4 in America LTD and is marginally above the Xbone at best.

The Wii U doesn't get mentioned because it's just not competing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Macaluso posted:

The story of Donkey Kong is basically, they stole his bananas and he has to get them back. That's his entire motivation for everything and I love it. It's the same reason I love Kirby's "story" is because it's always like, someone stole his slice of cake or some poo poo and he wants it back!

Honestly, look at that Ape's tie. The Kong mafia has been going strong for years.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it would be fine if the person writing Nintendo's tweets were a funny person, it's just that they're not.

I don't know what you're talking about man...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/436545822461657088

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Oh dear lord this is awful

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
It's fun to watch, but I feel bad for the guy who's gotta deal with nonstop hate while he does this promotional thing for Nintendo. But I guess, no press is bad press.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ohhh noooo Nintendo stop, this is worse than I thought it would be

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This is like that really friendly gym teacher who cracks lame jokes and has no idea how lame he is.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Holy poo poo...I did not think there was anyone over the age of 12 who took memes "seriously", yet here we are.
https://twitter.com/DudeNdaEaseOnUp/status/436550560918278145

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The people getting so mad about this silly rear end promotion for their toy is pretty funny. I dunno why it makes people so mad. It's silly and dumb and inoffensive. It's not like the NOA twitter account was really doing much else :v:

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Fulchrum posted:

Anyone know how the sales are doing relative to the Xbox One? I keep hearing how the Ps4 outsold the Xbox One 2 to 1, but no-one ever mentions the WiiU in a similar ratio.

January NPD figures were 48k for WiiU and 143k for Xbox One. So pretty near a 3 to 1 ratio between Xbox One and Wii U.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Nintendo is just trying to kill the Wii U as fast as possible right now.

nonwearable

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jesus loving Christ. Nintendo needed to fire their marketing department and online manager YESTERDAY.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'd like to see the boardroom where they shook hands on this and went, this is a really good idea.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Austrian mook posted:

I'd like to see the boardroom where they shook hands on this and went, this is a really good idea.

No boardroom approved this.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Oh burn on us

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
How much did Nintendo pay IGN for that?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

zenintrude posted:

No boardroom approved this.

More like boredroom.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Astro7x posted:

Oh burn on us

Ok that was kind of funny.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Louisgod posted:

More like boredroom.
_________________/

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ok that was kind of funny.

If they could just go around insulting other games journalism sites and people who gave the game bad reviews that might be funny- see if anyone would get into a legit Twitterfight with a cartoon monkey.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

This is pretty entertaining both actually and in the meta sense. The anger over it is glorious as well as what Nintendo is posting.

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Oh burn on us

I would be surprised if NoA even knew Something Awful even existed. Much like how surprised I'd be if NoJ knew what a PC was.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zack_Gochuck posted:

This is like that really friendly gym teacher who cracks lame jokes and has no idea how lame he is.
The tweets read like the jokes that you find on popsicle sticks. :psyduck:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

melon cat posted:

The tweets read like the jokes that you find on popsicle sticks. :psyduck:

What do you call a donkey kong promotion that seems like it was made up by a bunch of meth-heads?

Cranky Kong :v:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kuuenbu posted:

I would be surprised if NoA even knew Something Awful even existed. Much like how surprised I'd be if NoJ knew what a PC was.

Of course they know what a PC is: it's where they get their Rapelay/Water Closet fix.

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Rudoku posted:

Of course they know what a PC is: it's where they get their Rapelay/Water Closet fix.

Everybody knows those aren't actually PCs. They're Nintendo Computer Machines, or NCMs, and they're powered by Star processors and fairy dust. :3:

surc posted:

What do you call a donkey kong promotion that seems like it was made up by a bunch of meth-heads?

I can't wait for them to come up with a "Crunk Kong" to keep up with the "kewl kidz" of today.

Kuuenbu fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 20, 2014

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zenintrude posted:

_________________/

They should get Norm MacDonald to take over Nintendo's twitter for a day.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

surc posted:

you misspelled crack-y kong

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

you misspelled crack-y kong

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine

:colbert: (This PSA brought to you by the foundation for not-getting-stabbed-by-bikers-during-a-drug-deal)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Is Cranky Kong a popular character? Why is Nintendo focusing on him?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Toady posted:

Is Cranky Kong a popular character? Why is Nintendo focusing on him?

Cause it's silly and he's a new character in a game that's literally coming out tomorrow

edit: The fact that you apparently can only play as him in co-op sucks though. I'm never playing Tropical Freeze with another person. I got mad enough at DKCR doing some of the harder levels on my own

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

Cause it's silly and he's a new character in a game that's literally coming out tomorrow

edit: The fact that you apparently can only play as him in co-op sucks though. I'm never playing Tropical Freeze with another person. I got mad enough at DKCR doing some of the harder levels on my own

Wait what? Seriously?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Austrian mook posted:

Wait what? Seriously?

You can only play as Cranky on his own in co-op. In single player you play as DK but you can have Diddy, Dixie, or Cranky as partners and use their powers.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kabanaw posted:

You can only play as Cranky on his own in co-op. In single player you play as DK but you can have Diddy, Dixie, or Cranky as partners and use their powers.

Oh okay, so same as it was in DKC Returns. Is the DK solo mode going to be avaliable from the beginning this time? :getin:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

That's comforting then. I wanted to Scrooge it up in single player

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

That's comforting then. I wanted to Scrooge it up in single player

They're kind of like powerups in single player mode, yeah.

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Macaluso posted:

You mean "newly playable character"; Cranky's been in DKC since the beginning in 1994 as the "animated" game guide guy and was an iconic part of the game and its promotional material even back then.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kuuenbu posted:

You mean "newly playable character"; Cranky's been in DKC since the beginning in 1994 as the "animated" game guide guy and was an iconic part of the game and its promotional material even back then.

Good lord you know what I meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Kuuenbu posted:

*Snort* get your facts straight, you could play as him in Donkey Kong Hockey in 1984 so I don't see what the big deal is

• Locked thread