Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Fetucine posted:

Also consider Magic Archer, the only class which can light itself on fire so they deal damage to enemies while climbing.

I love doing that to griffons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Are there an penalties to keeping around lower level pawns? I heard somewhere once that if they are greatly higher than you you'll get less exp, but what If I'm in my mid 30's and the pawn I have is in the low 20's? (they are seriously that good I can't find a replacement)

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Getting Dark Arisen. I heard there are bonuses for having an old Dragons Dogma save. Does that count for the dragons dogma demo save file?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fetucine posted:

Also consider Magic Archer, the only class which can light itself on fire so they deal damage to enemies while climbing.

Ninefold Bolt and Explosive Volley may be what makes Magick Archer broken as hell, but Immolation/Flameshroud is what makes it fun.

As far as Assassin gear goes, I guess I used a shield fairly often because Showdown is handy for the damage boost and I'm terrible at aiming ranged weapons with a gamepad (MA gets around this with its homing arrows). I still keep a bow on me at all times though because there are lots of times when you would hate yourself for having no ranged options available.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Im_Special posted:

Are there an penalties to keeping around lower level pawns? I heard somewhere once that if they are greatly higher than you you'll get less exp, but what If I'm in my mid 30's and the pawn I have is in the low 20's? (they are seriously that good I can't find a replacement)

Lower than you is completely fine as far as I know, as long as their doing what you want them to might as well hang onto them as long as you can.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Thanks for the sweet gear, tunaism. Everything I could equip is now dragonforged. Suddenly me shooting something actually deals damage.

Edit: Except to the gorecyclops, it seems. I've emptied a king's ransom in arrows into his eye and it's taking forever. 1.5 bars to go and I've spent a bit reading forums while I wait for stamina to recharge in between tenfold spam.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 20, 2014

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

CowboyAndy posted:

Getting Dark Arisen. I heard there are bonuses for having an old Dragons Dogma save. Does that count for the dragons dogma demo save file?
No, it has to be from the full game.

On the PS3, it's not that difficult to download an existing save file from GameFAQs and make it your own. Not sure about the X360.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Crows Turn Off posted:

No, it has to be from the full game.

On the PS3, it's not that difficult to download an existing save file from GameFAQs and make it your own. Not sure about the X360.

Does this actually work? I tried looked into this before I started and I kept seeing that the saves were tied to your account and it couldn't be done like that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Im_Special posted:

Does this actually work? I tried looked into this before I started and I kept seeing that the saves were tied to your account and it couldn't be done like that.
I did it before I played Dark Arisen. Worked for me.

Basically, here are the steps (you can find more detailed steps elsewhere):
1) You download a Dragon's Dogma save from GameFAQs. Right now, this save is tied to someone else's account.
2) Copy a save from your own PS3 on a USB. Doesn't matter which game you use.
3) Download and open BruteForce, a program that will let you edit PS3 save data.
4) Open your personal save file in the program, and locate the PS3 system info and your user info. Copy this down.
5) Open the DD save file in the program. You'll edit the console and user information to match your personal save file.
6) Save it, and the DD save file now belongs to you. Use the USB to copy it to your PS3.
7) Start Dark Arisen. It should locate the DD save file and give you all the perks. Start a new game.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Crows Turn Off posted:

I did it before I played Dark Arisen. Worked for me.

Basically, here are the steps (you can find more detailed steps elsewhere):
1) You download a Dragon's Dogma save from GameFAQs. Right now, this save is tied to someone else's account.
2) Copy a save from your own PS3 on a USB. Doesn't matter which game you use.
3) Download and open BruteForce, a program that will let you edit PS3 save data.
4) Open your personal save file in the program, and locate the PS3 system info and your user info. Copy this down.
5) Open the DD save file in the program. You'll edit the console and user information to match your personal save file.
6) Save it, and the DD save file now belongs to you. Use the USB to copy it to your PS3.
7) Start Dark Arisen. It should locate the DD save file and give you all the perks. Start a new game.

Ugh, I wish I knew that before, I'm already 20+ hours in though so I don't think I'll be starting over even though unlimited ferrystones does sound nice.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've just started this game(original version, since I assumed Dark Arisen was an "ultimate edition" rather than a re-release with exclusive content). Got my heart eaten by a dragon, decided to be a Mage, explored the starting town and am about to leave to pick flowers in the forest. I guess I've got the standard newbie questions:

-any easy mistakes I should avoid making? Areas with extremely tough enemies, areas where you can accidentally skip chunks of the main quest a la Fallout 3 etc?
-any useful tips the game won't necessarily tell me about? I only discovered that the "grab" button lets you climb onto an enemy by accident (it was probably in the manual, but second-hand cheap copy)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

2house2fly posted:

I've just started this game(original version, since I assumed Dark Arisen was an "ultimate edition" rather than a re-release with exclusive content). Got my heart eaten by a dragon, decided to be a Mage, explored the starting town and am about to leave to pick flowers in the forest. I guess I've got the standard newbie questions:

-any easy mistakes I should avoid making? Areas with extremely tough enemies, areas where you can accidentally skip chunks of the main quest a la Fallout 3 etc?
-any useful tips the game won't necessarily tell me about? I only discovered that the "grab" button lets you climb onto an enemy by accident (it was probably in the manual, but second-hand cheap copy)

You can very easily miss a lot of Sidequests. I recommend looking at the DD wiki which has a very handy chart of the points of no return for all the Sidequests, mostly spoiler free too.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Especially if you're coming from Fallout and such, read up on the save system and learn to get used to it. For a game that encourages experimenting and risk-taking, there's not a lot of opportunity to go back and change your mind about a path of action.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is there a point to the Rusted Magic Shield? You can't attack anything with it directly, and it doesn't look like it is applying torpor/poison effects to my other attacks.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ack. Activated the final portal and whacked Daimon. I probably should have read about the consequences. It's not like NG+ is going to be slow with portcrystals in place, but free dragonforging and a ridiculous number of wakestones would have been handy.

Im_Special posted:

Ugh, I wish I knew that before, I'm already 20+ hours in though so I don't think I'll be starting over even though unlimited ferrystones does sound nice.

If you keep Fournival out of jail then while technically you have to pay a small amount for them, you'll never run out of Ferrystones. It's much less convenient but not really worth 20 hours. Doing the spoilered thing is also extremely important for endgame farming reasons, so you'll probably want to do that anyway.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mailer posted:

Ack. Activated the final portal and whacked Daimon. I probably should have read about the consequences. It's not like NG+ is going to be slow with portcrystals in place, but free dragonforging and a ridiculous number of wakestones would have been handy.

If you keep Fournival out of jail then while technically you have to pay a small amount for them, you'll never run out of Ferrystones. It's much less convenient but not really worth 20 hours. Doing the spoilered thing is also extremely important for endgame farming reasons, so you'll probably want to do that anyway.

The Black Cat sells them in Dark Arisen too for I think 1K more gold each?

They're still really cheap either way.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Thundarr posted:

Is there a point to the Rusted Magic Shield? You can't attack anything with it directly, and it doesn't look like it is applying torpor/poison effects to my other attacks.

Elemental block skills can probably trigger the debuffs.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

mirarant posted:

Elemental block skills can probably trigger the debuffs.

Also the shockwaves from abyssal anguish are based on your shield stats so you can use it to tape the torpor effect to your main weapon. I like combining them with an aneled beak, flame trance and a multihit sword skill like burst strike to tag everything with poison, torpor, blind and burning. As far as I know, the morbidity augment gives you 30% damage increase against poisoned, torpored or blinded targets and the magnitude augment gives a 50% damage increase against burning targets, so you can stack those to shore up the lack of damage from using worse weapons.

E: Also while I haven't tested it, I'd guess that a rusted holy furor would be a guaranteed torpor and poison on everyone around you, since that's what every other multihit aoe attack does when performed with a rusted weapon.

E2: Speaking of mystic knights, how's demonswrath? The wiki claims that it's really powerful when fully charged, but I suck at perfect blocking unless I completely focus on getting it right and give up on making normal attacks. So I've never managed to actually charge it fully, because killing the enemies normally is usually faster and if I focus entirely on blocking whatever I'm fighting usually gets killed by my pawns before demonswrath is charged.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 22, 2014

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Purification query: The wiki is kind of vague on random results. If I get a vocation-specific item (Hood of Shadow) can it never become a different item (Hood of Oblivion) within the same vocation color?

tunaism
Dec 24, 2011

Mailer posted:

Purification query: The wiki is kind of vague on random results. If I get a vocation-specific item (Hood of Shadow) can it never become a different item (Hood of Oblivion) within the same vocation color?

In my experience the "tier" and type (hat etc) are set in stone.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I guess the real question is whether or not it's completely set when it comes to purifying. I've been praying for a dagger, or even a shortbow, but I keep getting Revenant Wails. Now I have all three items from that set but I keep getting bows. If it's locked into a per-game/account seed then I might as well stop purifying level three weapons. Maybe I'm just super unlucky.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mailer posted:

I guess the real question is whether or not it's completely set when it comes to purifying. I've been praying for a dagger, or even a shortbow, but I keep getting Revenant Wails. Now I have all three items from that set but I keep getting bows. If it's locked into a per-game/account seed then I might as well stop purifying level three weapons. Maybe I'm just super unlucky.

Set your pawn and yourself to the vocation that uses the item in question that you want and save scum. If you want daggers, make yourselves Striders for example.* I can send you some more Level 3 Weapon rocks if you need more (and you're on PS3).

*Sorry if you already know that :v:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
When a bitterblack weapon/armour drops it sets three possible options for what it will purify to, and which of the three you get is determined by you and your main pawn's class when you purify. If one of you is in a yellow class (strider, ranger) you will have a chance to purify an item that can be used by a yellow class, for example. If both of you are a yellow class, it will always purify to something useable by a yellow class. Keep in mind that hybrid classes count for both colours, so if you're looking for a bow and your class is Assassin, you should swap to Strider to be sure to get a yellow class weapon. Hybrid class items (magick bows, magick sheilds) drop from whatever class uses something similar, iirc, so Magick Bows fall under the yellow category and magick shields under red.

That said you can still have poo poo luck and keep getting a billion longbows and magick bows instead of the shortbow or daggers you're looking for.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Anyone know offhand what this guys doing: I'm a sorcerer using the ice staff, and I got a mage for enchanting/support/etc. Normally my low attack is just those energy balls shooting out, but his enchantment is making the energy balls hover in the air, and then lock onto the closest enemy and blast them at once. It looks ridiculously awesome.

I guess I'll just check his skills next time. Sorcerer is really fun, this game keeps surprising me by making these classes I usually ignore, into something awesome to play.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Supreme Allah posted:

Anyone know offhand what this guys doing: I'm a sorcerer using the ice staff, and I got a mage for enchanting/support/etc. Normally my low attack is just those energy balls shooting out, but his enchantment is making the energy balls hover in the air, and then lock onto the closest enemy and blast them at once. It looks ridiculously awesome.

I guess I'll just check his skills next time. Sorcerer is really fun, this game keeps surprising me by making these classes I usually ignore, into something awesome to play.

Holy enchantment. Each enchantment type changes how your orbs work slightly.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I can send you some more Level 3 Weapon rocks if you need more (and you're on PS3).

Thanks for the offer, but I've got tons of rocks. Rocks are easy and fast. It's the RC to purify yet another stupid bow that's killing me. You're actually one of my psn buddies, which has reminded me that I really need to start taking other peoples' pawns out when farming instead of the two I had specifically because I needed their damage.

Captain Novolin posted:

That said you can still have poo poo luck and keep getting a billion longbows and magick bows instead of the shortbow or daggers you're looking for.

I was afraid of that. It doesn't even vary, it's the same goddamn bow every time. I wish I could gift these things out. It's like 10-15 minutes farming RC just to have Olra laugh at me.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Supreme Allah posted:

Hold the attack button until your staff flashes or makes a noise or whatever, then release to shoot. Both of the standard attacks for caster classes have a charge-up. I forget if the ones for Sorcerer are exactly the same as the ones for Mage.

If I remember right, the alternate effect for the palm strike attack is a bunch of glowing energy balls that float around you and help mitigate damage for a short period, while the alternate for the ranged attack is the magic missile shotgun blast thing that you're talking about.

E: You probably have to hold the button a little while longer than you might expect, they take a few seconds to charge.

E2: I think it's something you've got to unlock, I don't have a copy of the game any more to check.

titties fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 24, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mailer posted:

Thanks for the offer, but I've got tons of rocks. Rocks are easy and fast. It's the RC to purify yet another stupid bow that's killing me. You're actually one of my psn buddies, which has reminded me that I really need to start taking other peoples' pawns out when farming instead of the two I had specifically because I needed their damage.

I think I can take care of that too, since I have a GameGenie :)

If it pleases you, and you have the U.S version, send me your save and I'll magic up all the rift crystals in the void for your weapon needs!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently the game heard this and decided it'd just give me all the weapons I want. I also found a more fun place for lucrative crystal farming that isn't the stupid dark bishop. All good. :)

I'm also flush with crystals again since by frantically pushing a NG+ save, spending virtually everything I have, engaging in a horrible couple of hours and enduring a heartbreaker single pixel retreat, he's dead. gently caress you forever, online dickdragon. I got your stuff and I'm not coming back.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Dark Souls II is about to come out, should I still get this now or save it for when DS2 is too hard?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Oh son of a bitch. Did the whole start-of-game thing on Hard Mode and then didn't kill the cult leader. I wanted to do Madeleine's chain. Time to Hard->Normal->Hard to reset and watch that stupid slow cow again. :/

Roumba posted:

Dark Souls II is about to come out, should I still get this now or save it for when DS2 is too hard?

Get both. They're very different games and scratch very different itches, but they're both good. Dark Arisen was free on PS+ not too long ago so I can't imagine it would command a premium price.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Roumba posted:

This game is much more similar to Skyrim than Dark Souls. I think it's a much better game than Skyrim, but that's probably because I'm much more interested in action than in the game world/lore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Papercut posted:

This game is much more similar to Skyrim than Dark Souls. I think it's a much better game than Skyrim, but that's probably because I'm much more interested in action than in the game world/lore.

Yeah I'm not having the best time with this game so far, I'm going to end up playing more Demon's souls until Dark Souls 2 comes out, so YMMV.

That said, it is a cool game, and parts feel like darksouls, but as he says, its more Skyrim than dark souls. But I played tons of hours of skyrim and I can't quite get into this so I don't know.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Just wanted to thank TunaFish for helping pimp me and my pawn with gear and RC, also there was another who helped me out (sorry I forgot your name) who sent me some Meloirean Plate + Helm gear as well and a ton of RC, you have to be a goon because no one would hire her otherwise so thanks.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

But I played tons of hours of skyrim and I can't quite get into this so I don't know.

I didn't like Skyrim and put it on par with my original DD playthrough. Some good things but mostly just a lot of slow travel, boring loot and consumable munching. I never even did the DD postgame because I was so bored with it by that point. In retrospect, this was a dumb decision. Having goonfriends and rushing through the "normal" game is pretty much the only way I enjoyed it.

The postgame (and the entire Dark Arisen island) is where the game is actually fun. You'll have the money and portcrystals to fast travel everywhere. The gear ramps way up and there's tons of bosses. You go from picking up grass and conserving it to blowing millions of gold on damage buffs.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Hotwire posted:

Well she lived just fine this time. Gave her some armor, but didn't have any decent weapons after that, so I threw in a level 3 BB weapon. Hope it's something good!

The BB rocks you sent turned into a Devil's Nail and a Nether Helm. Now I have to get the whole armor set, because it looks pretty badass.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 27, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mailer posted:

The postgame (and the entire Dark Arisen island) is where the game is actually fun. You'll have the money and portcrystals to fast travel everywhere. The gear ramps way up and there's tons of bosses. You go from picking up grass and conserving it to blowing millions of gold on damage buffs.

Yeah as soon as I learned I'd have to beat the game to fight dragons that seemed like the case.

But that's loving retarded. That's terrible, terrible game design.

At least Skyrim has the sense to throw dragons at you in the beginning.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
There's a dragon in the forest near the shadow Fort before the end of the game. He'll probably wreck your poo poo before you're pretty much ready to fire the endgame, though. Dragons don't gently caress around in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

There's a dragon in the forest near the shadow Fort before the end of the game. He'll probably wreck your poo poo before you're pretty much ready to fire the endgame, though. Dragons don't gently caress around in this game

I keep getting killed by wolves and bandits so I'm definitely not ready :smith:

• Locked thread