Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because Deklein is a million miles away from anywhere hostiles might possibly consider living. Of course they're going to use ships that are exceptionally good at avoiding capture and out-running intel, that's what the redesigned interceptors are for.

The only coherent argument I've heard for them being broken in the first place is Smiling Vagrant's complaint that literally nothing a gatecamp can do can catch them; I agree that that's kind of dumb and have no problem with the agility changes.

That's me, and it's still a problem. I have a "Cargo Claw" that I now use to move high priced modules and implant clones around with. Istabs/ce's in the lows, no mids at all to discourage me from being adventurous and I keep a cyno in the high in case I need to burn an extra cyno somewhere quick. I used it to move a set of snake implants from delve to tenal, and then again from tenal to deklein all the while toting around spare deadspace mods for my blackops bs.

25 mil for that level of small high value cargo transport shouldn't be a thing. This isn't to say I don't enjoy flying the new interceptors... I do. But they weren't really in a bad place before they were bubble immune. I wouldn't mind seeing them with a speed buff and another agility nerf. Make them like a classic interceptor in the airplane sense. Sprints like mad but can't turn for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Vatek posted:

Interceptors are half or more of the traffic I see in a nullsec gatecamp these days. I really don't think bubble immunity is necessary to perform their role but CCP disagrees I guess.

I wouldn't give too much weight to this statistic. While I'm not questioning your statement, I would venture that a significant portion of that traffic is people who otherwise wouldn't have attempted to move through dangerous space if they didn't know they could do it safely.

Thurin
Jun 24, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Server ticks are 1 second, so all actions take at least 1 second to execute regardless of how long they actually take. So at best it takes 1 second to lock and another second to activate a module like a warp disruptor.

Does this apply even if I activate point/guns whatever before attempting to target? It always seems like it applies instantly to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thurin posted:

Does this apply even if I activate point/guns whatever before attempting to target? It always seems like it applies instantly to me.

Glory of Arioch has the right of it: "who the gently caress knows, there are too many variables to say with certainty and CCP probably isn't telling."

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
We're honestly not sure on that one, but it doesn't matter in the case of the interceptors on gates because gate cloak accounts for the first second of their alignment.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Thurin posted:

:iiam: . The other explanations are probably more correct, but the core point is that the server processes in 1 second steps. What it does each second isn't specifically known, but we do know it's impossible to catch a <2s align interceptor because of it.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How often do you get out of Deklein? If interceptors were dominant across the universe in many different venues that would be one thing, but it sounds more like people just don't like the idea of a ship that can get in to otherwise quiet, heavily-defended regions and present a small but viable threat.

edit: If you were one of the guys on the side of the angels during the Great AFK Cloaking Threadwar, I apologize for asking this question. :v:

Deklein is where I spend the majority of my time. Too busy training newbies, participating in homeland defense, and making ISK so that I can participate with Naglfar Doctrine. :shobon:

It's not exactly as if the whole of EVE pubbiedom decided "let's just send droves of interceptors only at goons in Deklein 24/7 because check out all the raging it causes in their SA mainthread!" I feel like the points made in the argument so far have been quite specifically centered around the game's mechanics and physics, which transcends regions. There are ratters everywhere in every alliance that I imagine are just as frustrated as we are for likely similar reasons. I'm not about to go on a Jack Hannah Space Safari and film a documentary of the wild interceptor herds just to win a thread argument. :v:

(...and at the risk of assassinating Archduke Franz Ferdinand and reigniting another Great Threadwar, my position on AFK cloakers is basically that you can't let fear cripple your actions in this game or else you won't ever get anything done. An AFK cloaker to me is just like a neutral next door. He might come into my system for a gank, and he might not. If it ever does become an actual problem, you adjust your fit and playstyle until it is not. A single warp core stabilizer on my Ishtar solved the AFK cloaker problem rather nicely for me!)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Yeah, I don't really get it, either. I personally view ratting as what you do when you are new and/or destitute, and that it is only a stepping stone to more elegant, less efforty money making. Not everyone sees it my way.

I can sympathize with the AFK thing, though -- PVE in this game is horrid and any shortcuts you can take on it is generally welcomed. I still feel like the AFK heavy drone ratting meta has a finite lifetime; CCP can't have failed to notice the 20,000+ NPCs killed in conquerable nullsec daily per system.

Its not easy to break into the less :effort: money making things; Aryth's guide did make it easier though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I rat because I can't scam. I don't freak out at other people who scam and tell them don't do it, and if a scam target shows up in space I help kill them, but I literally cannot do it myself. I just feel so bad doing it. v:shobon:v

Playing the market is boring for me. At least with ratting there are pretty-ish pictures and explosions.

I don't want to feel tied down to POS for manufacturing or whatever they do because I don't like making things. I forget I'm making something, or I just go :effort: and let production facilities sit idle... it's amazing I keep up on PI. Leaving an expensive thing floating in space is dangerous for me.

I enjoy hanging around in home defense fleets with other people. I might be up to doing exploring with an alt but I don't have an alt near there yet.

That basically leaves ratting, mining, or missions. The returns on the latter two are terrible for me. At least with ratting I can do it close to my home station to be able to reship and be ready for the parts of EVE I love, which is small gang combat.

So, I'd rather there not be interceptors cruising about, and I'd rather there'd be better ways of dealing with them. They're amazing scouts, and in groups are very deadly. Anything in groups can be deadly, but they can at least be caught or move slowly enough to react. With catching nullified T3s and bombers on gates you work at it and get better to catch them. Not so with interceptors. There is nothing you can do for even base-intelligence interceptor pilots. Now, dumb pilots are great fun and wiping half a 30 man interceptor gang because they decided to engage a group of RLML cruisers and auto canes is awesome. Better yet are those who armor plate their interceptors.

That's pretty much why I just finished training Interceptors :v:

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You could bubble them pre-Rubicon. You couldn't really stop them from crashing, though, so you'd need good sabre pilots on both sides of the gate to have a shot, and there was room for either of them or the interceptor to goof.

Yep. But then it's a game of skill against skill. Same with running camps with covops ships. You can probably make it through, but you have to know what you're doing and hope your opponent isn't an ace at decloaking. These mechanics are fun and engaging.

What we have now, not so much.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Behold a new use for auto targeting mods!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Glory of Arioch posted:

Yeah, I don't really get it, either. I personally view ratting as what you do when you are new and/or destitute, and that it is only a stepping stone to more elegant, less efforty money making. Not everyone sees it my way.

I can sympathize with the AFK thing, though -- PVE in this game is horrid and any shortcuts you can take on it is generally welcomed. I still feel like the AFK heavy drone ratting meta has a finite lifetime; CCP can't have failed to notice the 20,000+ NPCs killed in conquerable nullsec daily per system.

Yeah, you can definitely tell CCP wants to kill it dead (Isktars). Though before they did, I would like to see a proper justification comparison between nullsec income generated by ratting - vs. - highsec income generated by chinese mining bots - vs. - highsec income generated by nigh-ungankable level 4 missioning bots. :v:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
If only CCP would bring back blaster naga ratting :allears:

Edit: I would love to see stats on isk generated between nullsec ratting and highsec mission running though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So basically what I keep hearing is I really need to flush out my drone skills so I can run L4 missions AFK?

NavyBlue
Dec 22, 2013

Guess where this lollipop's going?
So I'm seriously considering resubbing, but I dont like my current ingame name. With the character being about a month old, what is the likelihood that I could talk CCP into changing it for me? A name change would strongly impact my decision to play again.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

BadLlama posted:

So basically what I keep hearing is I really need to flush out my drone skills so I can run L4 missions AFK?

You can't afk missions, they have much less consistent aggro rules plus acceleration gates and items that must be collected.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

NavyBlue posted:

So I'm seriously considering resubbing, but I dont like my current ingame name. With the character being about a month old, what is the likelihood that I could talk CCP into changing it for me? A name change would strongly impact my decision to play again.

Unfortunately name-changes are something that CCP won't touch with a 10,000 ft. pole because ~reasons~.

A month old character is not that much to lose. The good news is that per their redesigned new-character-experience, you now get a special "new accounts only" implant that gives you insanely high skill learning speeds for the first month. (Seriously look at that! +17 to all attributes! +17!) You could probably get back to where you where before (and even exceed it) in no time at all under the new system.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

NavyBlue posted:

I don't think they ever do name changes, nothing stops you from trying though.

One month ain't that bad. There's players that are years old that regret their name :P

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
They do name changes if your name is offensive and someone reports it. Is your ign offensive? If you answered yes report it. No, then SOL.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
CCP is really adamant about retaining a character's history, which means no paid name changes and no ability to mess with your employment history.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Vatek posted:

CCP is really adamant about retaining a character's history, which means no paid name changes and no ability to mess with your employment history.

Which is funny because they have in the past deleted a few people's employment history, and there are some that should have been deleted like citzno(some numbers here) whose history in 2006 took minutes to load.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

If you don't like your name, just claim you bought your dude. Plenty of us have characters with especially awful names that we bought from the Character Bazaar. It just doesn't matter that much.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
CCP should just rename "Employment History" to "Identity History", have it log name changes showing the old and new names, then sell name changes for a small fee. Everybody wins!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Speaking of employment history, I've always been in awe when it comes to how many corps the average pubbie manages to run through in relatively short periods.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Yeah, if the name change was marked on the history and as easily viewed as employment history today, I wouldn't mind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd like it if they allowed a one-time opportunity to rename any character you buy from someone else, but I guess it would be impossible to tell that apart from people just swapping their characters between their own accounts.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Could a possible solution to the "uncatchable" interceptors be to make hictor bubbles a special kind of bubble that makes all interdiction nullified ships unable to warp like other normal ships while in the hictor bubble? It would make gate camps more viable again and they would still be able to go through anchored bubbles. But this special hictor bubble would make things a little more interesting.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd like it if they allowed a one-time opportunity to rename any character you buy from someone else, but I guess it would be impossible to tell that apart from people just swapping their characters between their own accounts.

Well if the latter portion were to happen, and CCP charged for the name change as well, they'd be happy since they're making $20+ on each change (assuming the guy is moving characters between accounts etc.).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ashcans posted:

More serious than my previous answer; Geddons don't have any bonus to lasers, so there is no reason to fit them. Mine is fitted with 5 Cruise launchers and 2 heavy neuts. The neuts aren't for rats, they're for gankers. The Geddon gives them a 30km range, which lets you land them on on most things that are pointing you except (I think) a Keres.

Yes, there are better ships to use but I already had the skills to fly a Geddon with comparable ticks to a VNI and much better defense. I didn't want to sideline my training logi and fun ships for the sake of improving my ratting income. I wouldn't tell anyone to aim for a Geddon for ratting, but if you already have Amarr BS and drone/missile skills, its fine.

Edit: Haha, Glory beat me to basically everything in this post.

Stop making me want to come back, I have Amarr BS V and perfect subcap drone skills :(

Comedy option: fit only one or two guns in your highs and fill the rest with neuts and smartbombs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

Could a possible solution to the "uncatchable" interceptors be to make hictor bubbles a special kind of bubble that makes all interdiction nullified ships unable to warp like other normal ships while in the hictor bubble? It would make gate camps more viable again and they would still be able to go through anchored bubbles. But this special hictor bubble would make things a little more interesting.

Suddenly hictors would be useful again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

bonewitch posted:

Edit: I would love to see stats on isk generated between nullsec ratting and highsec mission running though.

If you collate a whole bunch of sources, you end up with ~700bn injected per day in the form of bounties from nullsec rats of all kinds (belts, anomalies, complexes) compared to ~4–500bn from highsec missions (completion rewards, bonuses, and bounties).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 20, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tippis posted:

If you collate a whole bunch of sources, you end up with ~700bn injected from nullsec rats of all kinds (belts, anomalies, complexes) compared to ~300bn from highsec (mainly missions).

Is that including incursions?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

Do incursion rats have a bounty?

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Suddenly hictors would be useful again.

And a glorious day it would be. :unsmigghh:

At last, a purpose for those skillpoints I put into Graviton Physics V.

Bagu
Mar 20, 2006

I'd personally like to see that buff to nullsec income that CCP has been promising for years now before any other changes. If they fixed the risk: reward balance, then all the increased risk wouldn't be so out of line. Though I suppose that still doesn't fix the risk: reward balance for running around hostile space.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rhymenoserous posted:

No, and I remembered the wrong numbers anyway — see edit.
Incursions sit at something in the region of 2–300bn, but it varies a lot month to month.

Also, if you want to include w-space into “null” (they're all at 0.0 security or less after all), there's another 3–400bn in the form of blue loot.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

deadtear posted:

Not rats themselves but each site gives 40people 31m each roughly every 25minutes. That's per fleet, and only one type. I'm not sure what assaults and vanguards give.
Edit: just a quick math job on one fleet running 24hours a day, for one month is close to 1.8trillion.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 20, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

deadtear posted:

The bounty pays at the completion of a site, and I already answered my own question with some quick calculator action. The answer is no.

Back when we were running lowsec incursions we were pulling about 100m/h x 10 pilots we were running 23 hours out of the day (most days), even allowing for general downward drift just 10 goons alone were probably injecting 500b~/mo of isk into the economy.

From what I'm hearing incursion runners in highsec are running 120m+ per hour right now, not factoring in at all whatever LP they get on top of it (Which doesn't really count for isk injection).

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 20, 2014

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I resubbed and had to redraw my face. I have 1.6 million unallocated skill points out of almost 21 million, but think I'll make a new character just to figure out things from scratch.

The intro movie that played showed ground combat. No mention of that in the thread, is that a thing now?

Hangar has a Drake, crow, kitsune, 39 boxed griffins, and a handful of other ships in my hanger and a crapload of t1 gear.

Open my mailbox and see letters from NPCs telling me they moved to some other moon, which I guess I should care about. Then some killmails, last one from a battle on 13 May 2006 in ZXIC-7 when I was with the ISS Navy, in a blackbird, a couple months before they folded. Apparently I resubbed in 2008 and joined another corp but I have absolutely no memory of doing that. Back in an NPC corp now, though.

Oh, and we can ... move around now? That's not really a walk -- a sort of a slow mince, over into a lounge area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Fix Lag posted:

And a glorious day it would be. :unsmigghh:

At last, a purpose for those skillpoints I put into Graviton Physics V.

Someday our time will come, my Graviton Physics V brother. :hfive:

• Locked thread