Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yegor posted:

What matchups are the sideboard Rakdos Charms for?

Always let Ajani ultimate if you're holding the Charm. Always. It can also end the game pretty quick vs. Master of waves. It hits a lot of good Artifacts (Whip, Bow, et al.) and someone will eventually play a Reanimator deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Vengevine is going if anyone wants in.

Thanks I grabbed a world qualifier set hoping I can sell my normals as a wash.

Looking at my order history, I paid $100 for them during NPH and barely used them :ughh:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Yegor posted:

I put together and am going to be running MURDERHORSE at a local tournament this weekend and had a few questions for the deck veterans around here.

How necessary is it to have Tymaret/Purphoros in your opening hand/on curve? Can the deck function competently without the damage engines? I'm currently assuming you'd just chump block with tokens until you find the necessary cards.

Any other helpful strategies and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Something else completely unrelated, what's a good bot for buying singles from most sets? I'm gonna be building an EDH deck for MTGO.

If you don't have Purphoros by the time you can play him (turn 4) then the deck will struggle. You can play an entire game without Tymaret as long as you get your Young Pyromancer or your Token generators (Horse or Goats) which is why Tymaret was taken down to 3 and Young Peezy up to 4. I bring in Rakdos Charm when people I am playing have Pithing Needle to stop my Ratchet Bomb, Tymaret, or Trading Post...Usually I will drop a Doom Blade and Beckon Apparition to make room.

Remember that Pithing Needles stop Aetherlings...both bhs and I have forgotten this at least once. Either Pithing Needle them or Slaughter Games them. Also, remember the discard and bring back combos this deck has because they are a great source of health or damage if you do them right. The Tymaret to replace a Tymaret and sac to bring back a Tymaret from GY to hand and then playing Tymaret to replace a Tymaret (haha confusing as hell wording), along with the discarding Ratchet Bomb to Trading Post then saccing a creature to bring back Ratchet Bomb and repeating is also nice.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Vengevine is going if anyone wants in.

Snapped a grip of promos, here's to hoping I don't get burned.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Yegor posted:

I put together and am going to be running MURDERHORSE at a local tournament this weekend and had a few questions for the deck veterans around here.

How necessary is it to have Tymaret/Purphoros in your opening hand/on curve? Can the deck function competently without the damage engines? I'm currently assuming you'd just chump block with tokens until you find the necessary cards.

Tymaret and Purphoros are important, but you can hold out.

Rakdos charm kills weenie rush strategies dead and is hilarious against Master of Waves, takes out problematic artifacts (whip is the biggest offender), and if you run up against the b/g graveyard deck or a U/W control that's trying to grind you out with elixr of immortality you can reduce their options.

Other stuff: You're playing a control/toolbox deck that's exceptionally hard to play but incredibly fun. If you get out ahead of any deck you're generally going to crush them and grind them underfoot. You have to think creatively about what is and isn't worth removal. Trample and Flying creatures are the second worst next to Fiendslayer Paladin.

If you're running Slaughter Games in the sideboard, here's what you go for in some of the major matchups and some general matchup tips:
R/G: Stormbreath, planeswalkers. Try to whack their mana dorks if you can, Trample stuff is your major problem.
U/W: Win Conditions, especially Aetherling, DETENTION SPHERE and Sphinx's Rev to a lesser extent. My experience with control matchups is that you're better at out controlling them for the most part. Sweepers are largely useless against Murderfarm. Keep Dreadbore and Downfall in.
Mono U: Thassa, Master of Waves, Nightveil. Keep them off devotion and you'll have relatively few problems, Anger of the Gods/Drown in Sorrow shine here.
Mono B: Gary, Demon, Whip, Thoughtseize. You're gonna get Thoughtseized on turn one and probably the next two. It sounds crazy but DON'T keep an opening hand with only one Purphoros or Slaughter games (These two will win you the game). The rest of the stuff in the deck can be in the graveyard for all we care. You'll probably want Rakdos charm in as a two of to kill the whip if you can't slaughter it out.

Like Ossian said, you're going to be setting up a bunch of incredibly painful loops. Multiple Tymarets, multiple posts, recurring ratchet bombs. It gets nutty.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Going where? In what deck? $15 is a price worth jumping on? What?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Yegor posted:

Fire away, though I would recommend posting questions about the deck in the Brewhaus next time; it just fits better there and I don't want to swamp this thread with discussion about a Standard deck.

quote:

The best hand is 3 lands, 2 pieces of removal, and then Purphoros and Akroan Horse. Generally I always want a token-producer and a value-for-tokens card like Ty or Purph, but in a pinch having removal and a token-producer is a decent Plan B. Young Pyromancer and some tokens is not the worst Aggro if you're consistently dropping removal on their blockers and giving yourself more creatures in return.

quote:

It is mainly in the deck for the Mono-U matchup after the opponent has dropped a Master of Waves. Other than that, it can also destroy enemy Pithing Needles, godly weapons like the Bident, Spear, or Whip, and of course opposing copies of Akroan Horse in the mirror-match. :v: If that Golgari graveyard-based deck ever becomes a thing, it could also do work there as well.

quote:

If your opponent has a single durdly creature that needs blocking, remember that you can have Tymaret block, then sacrifice himself to return the copy in your graveyard to your hand, and play it next turn and start the fun all over again. This is especially great when you have Purphoros out.

Pithing Needle is generally used to deal with opposing Planeswalkers, but can also shut down Aetherling! Don't forget this!! Like I did!!!

Don't forget that Blood Baron of Vizkopa (your worst enemy next to FIENDSLAYER PALADIN! :arghfist::byodood:) has pro-white/black, but not red. This means he can be blocked by Molten Birth tokens, and if you sacrifice the token after blocking to Tymaret/Trading Post in response to prevent the Lifelink from occurring.

Uhhhhhh don't forget that Purphoros has the pump ability? Killing opponents with Flaming Goat tokens is a Thing in this deck.

Ratchet Bomb is your friend! Don't forget to add a charge counter at the end of the opponent's turn when priority revolves. Most people seem to forget that the card even exists, but otherwise it makes for a good bluff to have it out. It can even blow up enemy Heliod/Advent of the Wurm tokens!

Trample is the worst ability to face, with Hexproof coming in at a close second.

quote:

Something else completely unrelated, what's a good bot for buying singles from most sets? I'm gonna be building an EDH deck for MTGO.

No idea! :buddy:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 20, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kasonic posted:

It's going in the same deck that Primal Command went in!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yegor posted:

I just use MtGOTraders website, load up the cart, pay with Paypal, and get the cards off their flunkies.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Literally The Worst posted:

I just use MtGOTraders website, load up the cart, pay with Paypal, and get the cards off their flunkies.

This is generally what I do too. You can sometimes save a buck or two here and there if you shop around but they offer (10?%) off if you pay with paypal (google for the coupon) and so that pretty much does it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kasonic posted:

Dredge is back, its old and mythic. It'll be $30 most likely just based off the fact that when a hype train rolls in modern it never looses steam. Go look at Fist of the Suns or that dumb counterspell from Travis Woo's dumb deck. If it actually does well somewhere soon, much higher.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I want a set of prints of Unhinged lands because goddamn:

edit: Actually no I want prints of these

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

vOv posted:

I want a set of prints of Unhinged lands because goddamn:

edit: Actually no I want prints of these

My LGS has all of them. They're in a rennovated warehouse with taaaaaalll rooms, so they have a ton of pictures like that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I don't know what I was expecting. Probably something I didn't have to have the displeasure of dealing with on what seems like a weekly basis. :sigh:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I don't know what I was expecting. Probably something I didn't have to have the displeasure of dealing with on what seems like a weekly basis. :sigh:

Yeah, speaking of which, I have been looking for alternate art young pyromancer elemental tokens for MURDERGOATS but only found alters of anime women, I don't want to look like a loving creep, so does anyone have recommendations for an artist who I can commission to make some actual decent looking tokens?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Samael posted:

Yeah, speaking of which, I have been looking for alternate art young pyromancer elemental tokens for MURDERGOATS but only found alters of anime women, I don't want to look like a loving creep, so does anyone have recommendations for an artist who I can commission to make some actual decent looking tokens?

Rebecca Guay :getin:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Stained Glass-esque Elementals would be pretty rad.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Literally The Worst posted:

People have complained that MTGOTraders has a secondary, higher set of prices for users they perceive as 'speculators'. Take that how you will.

jassi007 posted:

Dredge is back, its old and mythic. It'll be $30 most likely just based off the fact that when a hype train rolls in modern it never looses steam. Go look at Fist of the Suns or that dumb counterspell from Travis Woo's dumb deck. If it actually does well somewhere soon, much higher.

Which one? There are so many.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Disrupting Shoal. It spiked stupidly hard for a while after LSV made a video playing the deck.

And of course, most of LSV's wins were off of chaining Cryptics.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Unless the dude is looking to drop thousands in the tens, that probably isn't happening but in the event that he is! Please share them :3

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Here's a question for you

Are foil cards capable of having the foil taken off, leaving that deliciously gray underfoil?

And if so, is that a legal alter of a card?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The foiling is underneath the art and gloss coat so removing it leaves a shiny foily blank.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The March Hare posted:

Unless the dude is looking to drop thousands in the tens, that probably isn't happening but in the event that he is! Please share them :3

I'm hoping he is because stain glass fire monsters would be so cool.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

Don't forget that Blood Baron of Vizkopa (your worst enemy next to FIENDSLAYER PALADIN! :arghfist::byodood:) has pro-white/black, but not red. This means he can be blocked by Molten Birth tokens, and if you sacrifice the token after blocking to Tymaret/Trading Post in response to prevent the Lifelink from occurring.

Also don't forget you can always Slaughter Games the Blood Baron and Fiendslayer too.

I like to think of Murdergoats as the Batman of Magic decks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

My LGS has all of them. They're in a rennovated warehouse with taaaaaalll rooms, so they have a ton of pictures like that.

All the grey forums look alike to me too.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Stinky Pit posted:

The foiling is underneath the art and gloss coat so removing it leaves a shiny foily blank.

That's a shame, I was really liking those grayscale cards someone made out of a bunch of Theros cards.

Grayscale Heliod :allears:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

That's a shame, I was really liking those grayscale cards someone made out of a bunch of Theros cards.

Grayscale Heliod :allears:

I think you misunderstood him, that's exactly how those were done, I have a set for myself. You use acetone to de-foil a foil(anything shards or newer, some sets de-ink to white), then use a window decal or a transparency and put it over the foil. It's really pretty easy to do, and you can make some amazing looking cards like those black on black Theros gods.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

^ ^ Cinara we are now enemies. I am planeswalking away from you

Count Bleck posted:

Here's a question for you

Are foil cards capable of having the foil taken off, leaving that deliciously gray underfoil?

And if so, is that a legal alter of a card?

SOP is to use nail polish remover to take the art off the card leaving just the foil behind, then print out a new card on transparency. This destroys the card, but makes your cube look awesome :getin:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cinara posted:

I think you misunderstood him, that's exactly how those were done, I have a set for myself. You use acetone to de-foil a foil(anything shards or newer, some sets de-ink to white), then use a window decal or a transparency and put it over the foil. It's really pretty easy to do, and you can make some amazing looking cards like those black on black Theros gods.

Do you have a link to these? I'm curious what they look like.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

vOv posted:

Do you have a link to these? I'm curious what they look like.

Step by step

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 20, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I meant the grayscale/black on black Theros gods (but having a video is useful too!)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

People have complained that MTGOTraders has a secondary, higher set of prices for users they perceive as 'speculators'. Take that how you will.

The blue one, dumb name, bad deck, the most overhyped piece of poo poo he ever stole an idea from someone else and claimed as his own, and it made the shoal go crazy in price for no good reason

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
He called it Ninja-Bear-Delver...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ScarletBrother posted:

He called it Ninja-Bear-Delver...

Yup. Let me name my deck after 3 cards in it. I play Thopter-Champion-Ravager. Affinity? Bah how stupid! I also enjoy playing Bitterblossom-Spellstutter-Thoughtseize. Although one of my favorite decks is Blighted Agent-Mutagenic Growth-Might of Old Krosa. I R GUD AT NAMINING DECKS HURF DURF.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
To be fair, Melira-Pod and Splinter Twin or Twin Exarch are also named after cards in the deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ScarletBrother posted:

To be fair, Melira-Pod and Splinter Twin or Twin Exarch are also named after cards in the deck.

The difference is that those sound less stupid than "Ninja-Bear-Delver"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Goblins tends to be named after the tribal theme it has in it.

IIRC Ninja-Bear-Delver looked like it had little way to capitalize on an advantageous game state besides swinging with 2/2s and hoping you could use Ninja of the Deep Hours enough times you never ran out of removal to lose your position.

Interesting idea, at least.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ponder Preordain Island

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Count Bleck posted:

The difference is that those sound less stupid than "Ninja-Bear-Delver"

Also, they're the names of the win conditions of the combo, like "turbofog" or "maze's end". There are plenty of stupid names in Modern and Legacy, but Melira Pod is not one of them. Go bitch at Tin Fins or Nic Fit instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ScarletBrother posted:

ITS A BAD DECK WITH A BAD NAME. He couldn't call it something logical like mono-U delver or Delver Tempo or mono-u tempo. I mean honestly, how key is phantasmal bear to the loving deck anyway? It isn't. Judge's familiar is a way better 1 drop for that deck, and even if you made that change, it is still a lovely deck.

• Locked thread