Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

aka crackerspace

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Use the enamelled cast iron one for sure, that grill pan is gonna be weak

i have a cast iron grill pan from when i didn't know poo poo about cooking and now i never use it - is there any reason to keep it around in addition to my regular cast iron?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Leck posted:

i have a cast iron grill pan from when i didn't know poo poo about cooking and now i never use it - is there any reason to keep it around in addition to my regular cast iron?

grilling vegetables owns so yeh keep it

i mean as long as its physically better on the grill than the other cast iron you have

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

transfatphobic posted:

grilling vegetables owns so yeh keep it

i mean as long as its physically better on the grill than the other cast iron you have

he means a cast iron pan with ridges

they suck

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Enter Char posted:

they suck

oh

yeh gently caress that then

i just thought it was a long flat pan

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

okay i'm trying this again tonight and having people over so i really cant gently caress this up. can i get a list of all the cuts of meat that are ideal so that i can ask the butcher for them??

right now i want to ask for a

hangar steak

because i had one once and it was good. but if they dont have that what do i do??

i hae autism + asperger's and talking to butchers is one of my anxiety triggers

If you want to cook a beef, get short ribs (if you can cook for ~ 24-48h), skirt or hanger if you want something tasty that doesn't take a ton of time, or ribeye if you want something that turns out super awesome (since all of the collagen in the ribeye will have time to turn to gelatine).

The sirloin you used was actually a decent cut to sous-vide, it's just a bit expensive when something cheaper will give equivalent results.

Lean cuts turn out great, but they're kind of a waste of money since the only benefits you really get from sous-vide are 1) you don't have to pay any attention beyond making sure you don't kill yourself by setting the temperature wrong, 2) you can't overcook it unless you're a big dumb idiot, and 3) cheaper cuts that normally need to be braised to not suck can just have the collagen rendered at any temperature over 55C, so that you can eat a rare meat that normally would have to be cooked forever.

The Leck posted:

You could use it to put grill marks on stuff, but there's really no reason to. I threw mine out after moving it with me like 4 times and finally realizing that I hadn't used it in 5-6 years.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ETER whats the best extremely cheap cut for SV? the kind of crap i can find at any super market?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

butcher here

ribeye and ny strip are the best cuts for grilling

the top sirloin/ny shell sirloin is good and a lot cheaper

skirt steak or flap for stir fry, fajitas, etc

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

transfatphobic posted:

ETER whats the best extremely cheap cut for SV? the kind of crap i can find at any super market?

top sirloin or some call shell sirloin is usually really cheap and really good imo

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

any other names it might be called? not sure ive seen that around here really.

besides americans calling it chateaubriand

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

transfatphobic posted:

any other names it might be called? not sure ive seen that around here really.

besides americans calling it chateaubriand

top sirloin, ny shell sirloin, top butt steak are the only ones i know

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
top butt. you can be my wingbutt.. anytime *man clench*

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

Beef shortrib, pork loin, lamb shoulder, turkey, and basically anything with lots of intramuscular fat turn out awesome sous-vide.

Basically whatever the cheapest thing you can find it will turn out good unless you gently caress it up like a big dumb baby.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Enter Char posted:

they suck

yeah after learning more it seems like a pretty dumb idea - minimizing the contact with the hot surface is pretty counterproductive. one more thing to clean out of the cabinet then :tipshat:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

thanks guys

bummed ill have to wait 4 days to use my excessively loud water warmer

gonna enjoy it tho

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

thanks guys

bummed ill have to wait 4 days to use my excessively loud water warmer

Use it to keep your bathtub at a good temperature while you relax and listen to some tunes.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Use it to keep your bathtub at a good temperature while you relax and listen to some tunes.

cook urself slowly but make sure to leave a note for your loved ones

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Could I sous-vide frozen chicken nuggets? Or thawed?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NY sirloin for life, black angus beef

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
OKAY EVERYONE!!!! Time to create some statistics!!!!!!!!

I just created this one: http://statpedia.com/index.php/search/?title=Supercomputer+Share+by+Countries&source=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500&id=MzY3&type=table

<3

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wb Ian

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Thanks! Anyone is encouraged to email me at ian@statpedia.com to get involved. I could use some serious help on this thing. The backlog of specifications and bug fixes is so long and complex it makes my head spin.

I want to make the code open, but I think it would be a good idea to establish some rules first such as maintaining a centralized structure as well as securing user login data and such.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

Thanks! Anyone is encouraged to email me at ian@statpedia.com to get involved. I could use some serious help on this thing. The backlog of specifications and bug fixes is so long and complex it makes my head spin.

I want to make the code open, but I think it would be a good idea to establish some rules first such as maintaining a centralized structure as well as securing user login data and such.

First file is bitcoin / src / main.cpp. Feel free to correct me and guide me during this process. I know pretty much poo poo about coding. Yes, this might be completely inane but I am going to take that risk.

Let's start with these #includes:

#include "alert.h"
#include "checkpoints.h"
#include "db.h"
#include "net.h"
#include "init.h"
#include "ui_interface.h"
#include <boost/algorithm/string/replace.hpp>
#include <boost/filesystem.hpp>
#include <boost/filesystem/fstream.hpp>

What do each of these files do and refer to? What is the function of #include?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

First file is bitcoin / src / main.cpp. Feel free to correct me and guide me during this process. I know pretty much poo poo about coding. Yes, this might be completely inane but I am going to take that risk.

Let's start with these #includes:

#include "alert.h"
#include "checkpoints.h"
#include "db.h"
#include "net.h"
#include "init.h"
#include "ui_interface.h"
#include <boost/algorithm/string/replace.hpp>
#include <boost/filesystem.hpp>
#include <boost/filesystem/fstream.hpp>

What do each of these files do and refer to? What is the function of #include?

Are you going to compile statpedia into C for me??

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:unsmith:

we were so worried about you...

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

oh my god ians back

its like christmas

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Ian McLean posted:

welcome back ian

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ian you can't put restrictions on free code, that would make you worse than hitler.

Release the code Ian.

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
got my jerkcity book so i can can delete my kickstarter account now

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

stats make you fats

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Ian you can't put restrictions on free code, that would make you worse than hitler.

Release the code Ian.

Can't I be like a benevolent dictator or something? Somebody has to be in charge, otherwise I feel like these open source projects have nobody commanding the ship to push things to the extreme of excellence!

Seriously though... there is code to prevent people from obtaining people's wikipedia user information... what is the solution to this with open code?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ian McLean posted:

Can't I be like a benevolent dictator or something? Somebody has to be in charge, otherwise I feel like these open source projects have nobody commanding the ship to push things to the extreme of excellence!

Seriously though... there is code to prevent people from obtaining people's wikipedia user information... what is the solution to this with open code?

security through obscurity?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Round 2

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
So... then if I get this application management system going, a group still has to manage it! Is it just one of those things where I select die hard trustworthy individuals??? Who will be in charge of pushing things to the AWS server and what if there are errors and such with rollbacks needed? What will be managing all of this?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ian McLean posted:

So... then if I get this application management system going, a group still has to manage it! Is it just one of those things where I select die hard trustworthy individuals??? Who will be in charge of pushing things to the AWS server and what if there are errors and such with rollbacks needed? What will be managing all of this?

not gonna lie, you ask some hard questions but,

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

gently caress you with this poo poo ian is back

anyway ian did wd ever contact you?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Proteus4994 posted:

gently caress you with this poo poo ian is back

anyway ian did wd ever contact you?

No. I work for Wolfram Research now in Champaign Illinois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

that meat looks terrible

• Locked thread