Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

article on runemaster, by SUSD veteran Paul Dean. That man has the most dreamy beard.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-20-runemaster-has-paradox-stepping-out-of-its-comfort-zone-and-out-of-this-world

quote:

...Depending on your allegiance, Runemaster will be the story of how you and an ever-growing band of allies prevent or bring about Ragnarök, the great upheaval of Norse legend that won't so much end all worlds as throw the reset switch, drowning them and bringing about a new beginning. Side with thundering good guy Thor and you'll want to stop this at all costs, while troublemaker Loki and his crowd aren't too keen on the status quo and are quite happy to submerge the current world to see what resurfaces.

Runemaster has been announced at a relatively early stage in its development and Paradox haven't been able to show every facet of the game yet, but initial descriptions point to something very much in the vein of the King's Bounty or Heroes of Might and Magic series. Taking control of a single character, players can amass piecemeal armies as they journey through six different Norse worlds, from Midgard to Svartalfheim to Yggdrasill and beyond, sacking cities and defeating legendary monsters.

While the developers had a working version of the overworld to show off at the recent annual Paradox Convention, with a protagonist stepping through portals between worlds to explore thick forests and complex cave systems, they're not yet ready to show off the combat. The plan is for it to be a turn-based, tactical affair set across a hex grid made up of different terrains, with a player's armies composed of troops recruited in a rather rag-tag fashion throughout their travels. These armies could become quite eclectic in nature, reflecting a combination of the cause they fight for, the race they've chosen and the choices they have made on their travels.

And here lies one of the most interesting propositions for Runemaster. While the overarching plot will remain the same, being the crusade to either protect or end existence as you know it, the rest of the game will be far less directed and rely heavily on emergent storytelling. Each of the six game worlds will be procedurally generated and packed with a multitude of quests that will gradually shape your character and guide your destiny, quests which producer Linda Kiby says will be much more significant than "just collect ten wolf ears." The choices you make in your adventures, as well as how you resolve them, will determine both how you develop and how the world(s) respond to you. "If you make a greedy choice at the end of a quest," says Kiby, "your character's going to become greedy too. From then on you'll get more greedy options, more greedy storylines, a greedy reputation."...

Go read the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
That's sounding great.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kanthulhu posted:

That's sounding great.

That does seem really nice! However, given Paradox' localization track record, I hope they contract a good English localization professional (like...me?) to go over their dialogue. This game is going to need very solid dialogue if it wants to succeed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DStecks posted:

Welp, there goes my standby "colonize as anybody but Portugal and Castille" plans. :suicide:

Conquer Iceland :black101:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of Runemaster, Skyrim had some procedurally generated quests. They were the worst quests in the game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If Paradox could create an RPG where you were just running around trying to survive and get ahead at the individual soldier level of CK2, that would be good enough for me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just hope this'll be their first chance to create an actual graphical comet sighting in-game!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

vyelkin posted:

If Paradox could create an RPG where you were just running around trying to survive and get ahead at the individual soldier level of CK2, that would be good enough for me.

My level 5 pettifogger was doing so well until I reached the dungeon boss who gave him a good tumble

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
There are few CBs that are as satisfying as the Dismantle empire CB in Vicky 2. My Prussia-turned-German Empire has fought Russia several times over the last decades but I've never managed to completely defeat them since their territory is so vast. But now, after the dismantle CB became available, me and China thoroughly trashed them and took them apart. They've been forced to release Ukraine, Belarus, Transcaucasia, Kazakhstan and a couple of other nations; after which they revolted into a fascist dictatorship. The next target is the UK, where I hope to take away all their colonial holdings.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gort posted:

Speaking of Runemaster, Skyrim had some procedurally generated quests. They were the worst quests in the game.

That's because there wasn't any real effort put into those, they always just boiled down to "here's a cave, go gently caress up some dudes".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DStecks posted:

That's because there wasn't any real effort put into those, they always just boiled down to "here's a cave, go gently caress up some dudes".

So, basically what the non-procedural quests were, minus some dialogue during the cave :v:.

(yes I'm being unfair to the game but I do recall giving up on the game at least a dozen times upon reading a guide for a quest and realizing it was a 10 minute horse ride into another loving cave)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DStecks posted:

The most fun I had in Skyrim was to just run around the world and check out every cave I came across.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What exactly does Mean time to happen mean? For the entire world? For the country?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Porkface posted:

What exactly does Mean time to happen mean? For the entire world? For the country?

The expected number of months before the event will happen, after the requirements are met. This is tracked separately per nation that meets the requirements.

As I understand it, it's similar (but possibly not the same) as saying "percent chance per month for this event to trigger", except MTTH is the divisor because it's easier to visualize how many months before you want the event to happen rather than setting a percentage chance and working backwards to get to how many months 1%/month works out to.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
SOME of them are tracked per-province.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a range time to happen? Is a mean 50 event guaranteed to happen within 100 months? (my stats is kinda weak)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey Gorgo just a heads up that the SA Thread link in the OP for EU4 still points to my thread which now defunct in favor of this one.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

IIRC MTTH is just average time for the event to happen, but there's no guarantee of it ever happening.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a range time to happen? Is a mean 50 event guaranteed to happen within 100 months? (my stats is kinda weak)
Nope, any event with a MTTH might not happen at all, no matter how much time you give it. If we're talking about provinces, a MTTH of 50 months means half the provinces will on average have had the event happen within 50 months. Giving the event another 50 month to run, and half the remaining provinces will have it triggered for them as well, as well as half of the ones that it has already triggered for, for an average of 100% of the provinces. (Obviously the distribution is more complicated than that, since there's a check every 20 days, not every whatever interval the MTTH sets.)

Anyway, if you want an event to be random, but still very likely to be a sure thing eventually and on a timely basis, you could add modifiers to the MTTH as you approach the point you don't want to overshoot. Say you have an event that can be triggered between 1650 and 1700. The MTTH could be 120 months in 1650, then halved every decade. That would result in something like this:

50% chance between 1650-1660
75% chance between 1660-1670
88% chance between 1670-1680
94% chance between 1680-1690
97% chance between 1690-1700

Which would essentially make it a sure thing. (Needing on average over 300 games to not see it.) If you wanted to make it completely certain, you could even add an event at the start of it, which added a flag that would trigger the event in 1700, if the random event hadn't cleared the flag before that point.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If we're talking about provinces, a MTTH of 50 months means half the provinces will on average have had the event happen within 50 months.

But it's a binomial distribution.
chance of not triggering the event in 50 months: P_none = (49/50)^50
chance of triggering it at least once in 50 months: P_once = 1 - P_none
1-(49/50)^50 is roughly 63.6% so the expected value is actually above 50%

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So here's a HOI4 interview.

quote:

PS: Are there any plans to release a converter DLC along the lines of the CK2->EU4 converter?

DL: The logical converter would be Victoria 2 to Hearts of Iron IV, but the problem is that Victoria 2 is running a much older engine so making a converter is unfortunately nearly impossible. So I don’t think that will happen until there is a Victoria sequel. I did jokingly suggest a CK2->HoI4 converter last week, but it might be a tad nutty, and I’m pretty sure nobody took that seriously ;D

I'm a little baffled as to why it running on an 'older engine' would make the conversion 'impossible' or even more difficult. :confused: The basic design of Victoria and HoI is so different that it seems like it would be almost the same amount of work to write a converter from V1, V2, or a hypothetical V3. You're stripping a bunch of info from a Victoria save file (province ownership/industrial strength/infrastructure levels) and creating a data set, then that data set is extrapolated into a HOI4 scenario.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

So here's a HOI4 interview.

I'm a little baffled as to why it running on an 'older engine' would make the conversion 'impossible' or even more difficult. :confused: The basic design of Victoria and HoI is so different that it seems like it would be almost the same amount of work to write a converter from V1, V2, or a hypothetical V3. You're stripping a bunch of info from a Victoria save file (province ownership/industrial strength/infrastructure levels) and creating a data set, then that data set is extrapolated into a HOI4 scenario.

I think the greater challenge would be deciding which nations fight out WWII.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

But it's a binomial distribution.
chance of not triggering the event in 50 months: P_none = (49/50)^50
chance of triggering it at least once in 50 months: P_once = 1 - P_none
1-(49/50)^50 is roughly 63.6% so the expected value is actually above 50%
Doesn't this assume the name is actually representative of the function? Because I'm pretty sure the function is actually median time to happen, not mean time to happen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously the converter should be from HOI4 to East vs West CK2

Random unrelated question: Is Yugoslavia a formable nation in EU4?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Doesn't this assume the name is actually representative of the function? Because I'm pretty sure the function is actually median time to happen, not mean time to happen.

It seems you are correct.
The wiki said it's simply 1/MTTH chance but Johan apparently confirmed it otherwise. My bad.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

quote:

float daylyChance = float(1.0f - exp( log(0.5f) / MeanTimeToHappen ));
God bless.

Or is this Swedish?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

It seems you are correct.
The wiki said it's simply 1/MTTH chance but Johan apparently confirmed it otherwise. My bad.
That'll teach you to trust a name. :colbert:

:v:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Antinumeric posted:

God bless.

Or is this Swedish?

Nope.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can anyone tell me about Masters of the World, Geopolitical Simulator 3? I just got it, and I'd like to hear some goons opinions as to how it plays/if it was worth it.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

gradenko_2000 posted:

Obviously the converter should be from HOI4 to East vs West CK2

Random unrelated question: Is Yugoslavia a formable nation in EU4?

Nope. There's no union tag for South Slavic

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Culture

Also it would most likely be called Illirya or something anachronistic like that during the late EU4 period

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Waroduce posted:

Can anyone tell me about Masters of the World, Geopolitical Simulator 3? I just got it, and I'd like to hear some goons opinions as to how it plays/if it was worth it.

Ask this guy? He's the only one I know of who's actually played it.

(But why are you asking for opinions after you've already bought it...?)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
There's a mod in the workshop that adds it, plus some extra flavour for the balkan nations. Can't remember what it's called though, and I haven't played with it for a number of patches now so I dunno if it's still stable/good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Waroduce posted:

It's pretty opaque, and assumes you know about or are willing to research all sorts of organizations. I'd recommend playing it on easy for a while, because that turns on the indicator of how likely it is your law will get your party's vote (or you can play a totalitarian or hard-right country so it doesn't matter either way). Be sure to pick good cabinet members and so on. I guess you can think of it as Hidden Agenda crossed with a grand strategy game? I don't know if I would have paid fifty dollars for it (assuming it's still that much online) but it's strange enough to be entertaining.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I'm playing my first game of Victoria II, and while things are mostly going okay so far, how am I supposed to deal with supply issues? I've been unable to build land units of any sort for more than a decade because they're all stuck on the "gathering needed resources" phase - namely, each one requires 10 liquor and I don't seem to be getting enough of it. I've gotten Texas up to rank 9, so it's not like I'm at the back of the line in the world market, I've got more money than I know what to do with so there's no way I can't afford it, and I left trade on "automatic" so the AI should be handling these demands. Are the Great Powers really buying up so much of the liquor supply that the entire rest of the world is unable to supply their troops?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Yes, especially early in the game one or two powers can end up using everything, especially if they're at war. Your best bet would be to raise further in the rankings but that's kinda hard to do with no army.

One suggestion I've read about is not leaving supply trade to the AI, instead always stockpiling supplies manually. This has the double benefit of letting you stockpile for any future shortage while also preventing lower-ranked countries from getting supplies. It MIGHT end up screwing the world economy though.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Orv posted:

Hey Gorgo just a heads up that the SA Thread link in the OP for EU4 still points to my thread which now defunct in favor of this one.

Thanks; I'll take care of that now.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I love them declaring supercarriers NATO-only. Wouldn't want people having any ahistoric strategic options in East vs West. *Reforms Kingdom of Prussia*

Just saying, Prussia's not in the game at all and was someone's weird ahistorical minister idea which was, for some reason, popular with some folks internally and got enough votes to win an ahistorical minister contest. But that doesn't mean they're likely to be seen (that, I am sure of)! I've also made efforts to steer voting towards better options, though if y'all want to know how bad it can be... (None of that's in game. AT ALL.)

I wish I could address half these concerns. If it helps, I thought the straights dev diary was really WTF too. The AI one is a bit nitty gritty for public consumption too, but whatevs, I'm not in charge of these things. :smith:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

Just saying, Prussia's not in the game at all and was someone's weird ahistorical minister idea which was, for some reason, popular with some folks internally and got enough votes to win an ahistorical minister contest. But that doesn't mean they're likely to be seen (that, I am sure of)!

Who is in from the contest? Any of us? Anyone at all?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Bel Monte posted:

I wish I could address half these concerns. If it helps, I thought the straights dev diary was really WTF too.

Um...while that dev diary was pretty silly, the silliness factor wasn't my concern so much as the notion that Denmark could somehow try to revive the Sound Toll and cut the USSR off from the Atlantic by cutting off transit through the Danish straits. This just seems...wrong for the period. Or the notion that the Tartar Straits are important for the Soviets to hold in case they need to "reinforce Vladivostok by sea." By the time you're sending a fleet around Tsushima style to reinforce Vladivostok and keeping the passage between Sakhalin and the coast open is a strategic consideration, your USSR has bigger problems than strait transit.

EDIT to Kavak: My submission of Gorgo, our dear thread's OP, is in the game. Gorgo is a possible Maoist leader of Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Patter Song posted:

Um...while that dev diary was pretty silly, the silliness factor wasn't my concern so much as the notion that Denmark could somehow try to revive the Sound Toll and cut the USSR off from the Atlantic by cutting off transit through the Danish straits. This just seems...wrong for the period. Or the notion that the Tartar Straits are important for the Soviets to hold in case they need to "reinforce Vladivostok by sea." By the time you're sending a fleet around Tsushima style to reinforce Vladivostok and keeping the passage between Sakhalin and the coast open is a strategic consideration, your USSR has bigger problems than strait transit.

What, what the hell? I was mocking it for the length, turns out I should have buckled down and read the drat thing because goddamn :allears:

• Locked thread