Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it makes more sense for it to be Kadokawa then, I didn't know the series had finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nate RFB posted:

I think I'm actually going to throw my weight behind Patlabor, in that it's a Real Robot series that doesn't take itself too seriously (so closer to Macross than Gundam).

Votoms was a real robot series that we had a simulwatch of like Gun x Sword. I liked it more for the almost Blade Runner-like cyberpunk setting but the mecha portions were decent too.

E: I always forget we simulwatched Patlabor during Votoms as well. It kind of crashed and burned though because there's hardly any plot to discuss.
This is probably something I should already know, but somehow don't - What do you mean when you say Real Robot?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fenrir posted:

This is probably something I should already know, but somehow don't - What do you mean when you say Real Robot?

"Real Robot" generally means the mechs in question are treated like loving huge machines with a set of physics and engineering rather than MIGHTY HERO ROBOTU! You see stuff like an army of mechanics ripping them apart to fix stuff inside, that sort of thing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There's a lot of different Patlabor stuff to check out, but generally I really like the first OVA and the first movie, I haven't seen the TV series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

There's a lot of different Patlabor stuff to check out, but generally I really like the first OVA and the first movie, I haven't seen the TV series.

On the off chance you're in Australia or the surrounding countries, Madman Entertainment's releasing a DVD set with the first half the Patlabor TV series tomorrow.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Real Robot" generally means the mechs in question are treated like loving huge machines with a set of physics and engineering rather than MIGHTY HERO ROBOTU! You see stuff like an army of mechanics ripping them apart to fix stuff inside, that sort of thing.

Ahh, okay. So more Code Geass than, say, Evangelion/Escaflowne.

e: Also, just watched the first episode of Star Driver. Tell me the whole show is like this, and I'll wonder why I never watched it before. My bullshit meter is in the red and it's great.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 19, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The TV series has a sort of slice of life feel to it, which I think worked really well. One of my favorite episodes is the one where they keep having issues ordering lunch and end up going crazy because of starvation.

Fenrir posted:

More like GaoGaiGar vs. Macross.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 19, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fenrir posted:

Those all technically fall in the "real" category. it's more like code geass compared to rahxephon

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nate RFB posted:

MOre like GaoGaiGar vs. Macross.

muike posted:

Those all technically fall in the "real" category. it's more like code geass compared to rahxephon

Oh, I get it now. Basically "Real" meaning anything that isn't "Sentient Machine"/Magical Bullshit. The whole the Angels are "alive" and have flesh and poo poo aspect of Evangelion in particular had me a little confused as to where they'd fall in all that, but I guess it makes sense to call it "real" given those comparisons.

Where does Valvrave fall in that? :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah Kadokawa has the final say in if a new FMP will be made, and they aren't biting (presumably, since the novels have been finished for years they feel it's not worth spending money on what would essentially be an extended ad for them). In fact, an anime adaption of a new series by the FMP creator has been greenlit, so I really can't see any more FMP in the future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's the tone of the unadapted light novel releases? I disliked Second Raid's direction.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Redcrimson posted:

People were expecting Utena With Robots. Which it still kind of is, it's just more like the Nanami episodes and less like the Apocalypse Saga.

Actually it's more like a half-assed incoherent version of the Apocalypse Saga.

The best way to watch Star Driver is to only watch the first episode, because it's seriously one of the best first episodes ever made. Then pretend it was a pilot for a canceled show, or just make up your own story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rinkles posted:

What's the tone of the unadapted light novel releases? I disliked Second Raid's direction.
FMP! basically turned into Metal Gear Solid. Whether that's a good or bad thing I guess is up to you.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If we're going to get into "real vs super", I'd say the best "super" robot show you don't have listed is GaoGaiGar and the best "real" one is Votoms. Try checking those two shows out.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Nate RFB posted:

For example, Chihayafuru the anime didn't really do great but it boosted manga sales so much that it got greenlit for a second season.

It's a really great anime though, which surprised the hell out of me. The production and direction were fantastic.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
Just started watching this and playing EvE online at the same time. Did anyone else think the gore scenes suddenly get much worse halfway through? (as in they are bloody gory)

My bad (EDIT)

I recommend Golden Boy, It's a comical pervy anime. Short yet funny.

Lowkin fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 19, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Lowkin posted:

Just started watching this and playing EvE online at the same time. Did anyone else think the gore scenes suddenly get much worse halfway through? (as in they are bloody gory)

If you're looking for the LOGH thread it's over this way.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm looking for something similar to Yuushiba. Demon girl/lord shenanigans, not necessarily SoL or harem. I've seen Hataraku Maou-Sama and Maoyuu is on my to-watch list.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the only other thing that little fad generated that's been animated so far is Senyuu, which is a fairly meh 3 minute show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At the very least don't bother with the Maoyuu anime; read the Comp Ace manga instead.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

jonjonaug posted:

If we're going to get into "real vs super", I'd say the best "super" robot show you don't have listed is GaoGaiGar and the best "real" one is Votoms. Try checking those two shows out.

I somehow forgot GaoGaiGar when I made that list, but I haven't seen Votoms. I'll have to check that out.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Can anyone recommend me some really well animated and visually impressive films? Stuff like this Ive seen and enjoyed so far: REDLINE, the Evangelion Rebuild films, all 3 Berserk movies, One Piece: Strong World and some Ghibli stuff as well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Try Sword of the Stranger.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Garden of Words: This is probably the most beautifully animated film I've ever seen, but it also doesn't have any action if you were more looking forward to that.

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door: Likely the best looking portion of a series that already was animated fantastically.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust: I can't remember much about its plot, but I do remember that it looked great.

Kara no Kyoukai: It's very unfortunate that the high definition versions of this series are upscales and thus don't show off the superb animation as well as it should, but I think it's good enough that it still is able to shine through and be visually impressive.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fenrir posted:

I remember when people were flat out panning this in ADTRW, but having it come up recommended I may actually have to check it out (yay crunchyroll).

Fenrir posted:

e: Also, just watched the first episode of Star Driver. Tell me the whole show is like this, and I'll wonder why I never watched it before. My bullshit meter is in the red and it's great.

Sorry dawg.

The first arc is amazing and intricate and makes it look like there's a classic in the making.

The second arc is a let down of the first but still pretty okay, though way less coherant and much more gimmicky.

The third arc is horse poo poo, the ending is wretched, and you have the sudden suspicion that the cool poo poo from the first arc was complete happenstance.

The fights are also super repetitive as you will soon see. You'll get very shortly why people were so let down.

Brasseye posted:

Can anyone recommend me some really well animated and visually impressive films? Stuff like this Ive seen and enjoyed so far: REDLINE, the Evangelion Rebuild films, all 3 Berserk movies, One Piece: Strong World and some Ghibli stuff as well.

Films... Dead Leaves is still pretty impressive, very FLCL / Redline.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Awesome, thanks. Ill try to get a few of these in for this sunday. Well apart from Cowboy Bebop, I probably need to watch that series before I can see the film.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Brasseye posted:

Awesome, thanks. Ill try to get a few of these in for this sunday. Well apart from Cowboy Bebop, I probably need to watch that series before I can see the film.

Yes you absolutely need to watch Cowboy Bebop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brasseye posted:

Well apart from Cowboy Bebop, I probably need to watch that series before I can see the film.

Absolutely, though it doesn't hurt to see it mid-way into the series because it takes place before the final parts of the show and is really just an extended episode (though in quality actually nowhere near the best episodes the show has to offer).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

Absolutely, though it doesn't hurt to see it mid-way into the series because it takes place before the final parts of the show and is really just an extended episode (though in quality actually nowhere near the best episodes the show has to offer).

If I remember rightly, the Cowboy Bebop movie's set between episodes 18 and 19. Or at least that's as good a place to watch it as any.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Rinkles posted:

No way, the bebop movie is easily the best episode

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

No way, the bebop movie is easily the best episode
The movie is awesome, but it doesn't have anywhere near the emotional impact of the end of Hard Luck Women or The Real Folk Blues.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Garden of Words: This is probably the most beautifully animated film I've ever seen, but it also doesn't have any action if you were more looking forward to that.

I just cannot bring myself to like this movie. It had some pretty impressive visuals at least, but boy did I hate it.

Brasseye posted:

I'd also throw in Ghost in the Shell. The original movie is a bit dated now, but it had some great animation for its time. More importantly, the rest of the franchise is also really well animated and much more recent. It's a pretty long list of titles.

Also, how has no one mentioned Akira yet?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

Yep, it's gorgeous and I love the mundanity of the story.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I'd also throw in Ghost in the Shell. The original movie is a bit dated now,

What do you mean?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

I just cannot bring myself to like this movie. It had some pretty impressive visuals at least, but boy did I hate it.
Oh it's probably my least favorite Shinkai film by a decent margin (though I haven't seen Children Who Chase Lost Voices). It's just really god drat pretty.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rinkles posted:

What do you mean?

Probably that it's been holy gently caress almost 20 years since it came out. When did that happen? :(

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

What do you mean?

It's almost 2 decades old now, and it shows in the style. The movies Brasseye mentioned are much newer.

Nate RFB posted:

Oh it's probably my least favorite Shinkai film by a decent margin (though I haven't seen Children Who Chase Lost Voices). It's just really god drat pretty.

I think I just don't like Shinkai's writing because the only thing of his I like is Voices of a Distant Star. I've also seen Place Promised and 5cm/s and, while I can respect how well made those are, I didn't like either. I haven't watched that Lost Voices one either though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost in the Shell definitely has that 90s aesthetic but if someone can't watch pre-2000's anime then I feel bad for them :colbert:

Movie still looks pretty dang good today.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How have people not mentioned Mamoru Hosoda yet? Wolf Children, Summer Wars, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Wolf Children is especially amazing, an epic parenting story that is basically my favorite movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I asked this in the Seinen thread but I thought I'd get more opinions by asking here: I'm looking for a series (manga preferred but I have no issues if its an anime) that has the main character sort of thrust into the villain/bad guys group and how that plays out. I recently binged what was out of Tokyo Ghoul which ended up being pretty neat. Shamo, Ikigami, and Akame ga kill were all recommended to me but I haven't gotten a chance to check any of them out yet. Don't care if it's supernatural or not, but modern setting is definitely a plus.

• Locked thread