Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

thespaceinvader posted:

Nope, he's still being intensely amazing as guest host on Have I Got News For You, and guest guest on QI. If you can find them to watch, do, it's AWESOME.

Especially the QI where he unironically rambles on about how yetis definitely exist and Stephen Fry is too in awe of his beard and/or voice to bitch-slap him with some basic loving knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's climbed enough mountains that I'd trust him more than most.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My favourite was when he started talking about how you go to the toilet on Everest. No matter how you thought the story was going to go, you were wrong.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just learned (from a Cracked podcast) that Silence of the Lambs was NOT based on or inspired by Jeffery Dahmer. The movie/book came out before his arrest/all the gorey details of the case.

Also he did way worse poo poo than just snack on people. Dude was a loving monster.

E: I don't know if it's just me but remembering back to that time period the two seem inseparably linked.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yep, the inspiration was presumably Ed Gein.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Captain Trips posted:

I've never seen anyone use actual headphones with their phone. Earbuds or a bluetooth, sure. But not headphones.

I'm late to this one but earbuds are headphones, bluetooth is a protocol and "a bluetooth" is the thing that people in their sixties "need for my empy-three".

Sara Gilbert is pretty recognizable as both Leslie on Big Bang Theory and Darlene from Roseanne. But it took about a thousand years longer than it should have for me to figure out that Johnny Galecki, her ex on BBT, was also her boyfriend David on Roseanne. And it was only after googling to confirm that one that I learned Laurie Metcalf is also on both shows (Roseanne's sister Jackie and Sheldon's mother). The takeaway here is that I'm bad at recognizing actors.

I predict Roseanne will do a cameo in the last season of BBT just as the engine in Fonzie's motorcycle rumbles to a stop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roseanne would be a pretty great choice for the never shown, fat, loud mother.

Unless they've already shown her. I don't watch the show.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

They haven't, and you're right if she could get the voice just right.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jedit posted:

Too many words.

Blessed's ALIVE!

You can actually get Brian Blessed to be your GPS voice if you're into that.

I think some people only have the image of 1980's Roseanne in their heads. She's gotten a lot smaller if GIS can be trusted.

Actually, there's only one way to solve both problems. Have Brian Blessed play the fat mom on BBT.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

CzarChasm posted:

You can actually get Brian Blessed to be your GPS voice if you're into that.

I think some people only have the image of 1980's Roseanne in their heads. She's gotten a lot smaller if GIS can be trusted.

But she's 10x as shrill. Can't stand that woman.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

PhotoKirk posted:

But she's 10x as shrill. Can't stand that woman.

Where have you heard her voice in the last fifteen years. Sometimes she says something dumb on twitter, but I can't recall seeing her actually in the media for a long time.

I learned today that "poop" as slang for excrement and "poop deck" as part of a ship are likely unrelated etymologically. Poop deck comes from Latin via French for "rear" which I thought might have something to do with it but it seems excrement comes from a usage of the word as in "fart" which probably came from a word for a trumpet blast.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

I'm late to this one but earbuds are headphones, bluetooth is a protocol and "a bluetooth" is the thing that people in their sixties "need for my empy-three".

I've heard lots of not-old people use "a bluetooth" to refer to the kind of one-ear bluetooth headset douchebags wear constantly so you can never tell if they're talking to you or on the phone. Must be a regional thing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
She was in that snickers commercial recently.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I've heard lots of not-old people use "a bluetooth" to refer to the kind of one-ear bluetooth headset douchebags wear constantly so you can never tell if they're talking to you or on the phone. Must be a regional thing.

It's not regional, people are just idiots. It's like when people called mp3 players "mp3s."

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Oh, you're late to re-open a stupid derail, are you? Thank gently caress you're here at last!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Now look what you've done.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Elim Garak posted:

Where have you heard her voice in the last fifteen years. Sometimes she says something dumb on twitter, but I can't recall seeing her actually in the media for a long time.

Uh what? She has (had?) her own weird reality show for a while and ran for president of the United States in 2012.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Uh what? She has (had?) her own weird reality show for a while and ran for president of the United States in 2012.

I knew she ran, but even then I never heard her speak, and apparently her reality show ran for a few months several years ago, but I never heard of it until today.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hydrolith posted:

Oh, you're late to re-open a stupid derail, are you? Thank gently caress you're here at last!

Now look what you've done.

Cranial accessories.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hydrolith posted:

Today I figured out that you only have a day to reply to someone who replies to your post, because the pixels go stale and it makes the internet yell at you or something. But seriously, I had no idea that "bluetooth" had been nouned that way. I guess it makes sense since a headset is the bluetooth device most non-techy-type people are likely to have (or at least, to know they have).

Shifty Nipples posted:

Cranial accessories.

WEARABLE COMPUTING! No rear end in a top hat, you just took a circuit board and tied it to your arm. You aren't a cyborg. Go home and call us when your body is powering the apparatus somehow.

Fraps loves showing you your framerate in big obnoxious numbers because the app's full name is Frames Per Second.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Cranial accessories.

poo poo on your head.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

flakeloaf posted:

Sara Gilbert is pretty recognizable as both Leslie on Big Bang Theory and Darlene from Roseanne. But it took about a thousand years longer than it should have for me to figure out that Johnny Galecki, her ex on BBT, was also her boyfriend David on Roseanne. And it was only after googling to confirm that one that I learned Laurie Metcalf is also on both shows (Roseanne's sister Jackie and Sheldon's mother). The takeaway here is that I'm bad at recognizing actors.

I predict Roseanne will do a cameo in the last season of BBT just as the engine in Fonzie's motorcycle rumbles to a stop.

What the gently caress is an empty three.

Nvm, I get it now.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

Was it the one about nuts with her bitching at that creepy guy in her horrible voice? I completely forgot that that existed even though I was probably the only person who enjoyed that terrible show.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I thought Jane Goodall died in the 90s for some reason. Surprised me to find out she's still alive.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I thought Jane Goodall died in the 90s for some reason. Surprised me to find out she's still alive.

Maybe you're thinking of Diane Fossey? I know I thought they were the same person for the longest time.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
It's DyAtlov, not DyLatov. Not that it matters, but Dyatlov definitely sounds more Russian, so I'm surprised it took me this long to notice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Jade Goody?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Aphrodite posted:

I've seen several discussions online about Howard's mom (I live in boring corners of the internet), and it's almost universal that
A) No one knows who Carol Ann Susie is
B) No one seems to think her appearance matches her voice

I've seen people say how Carol is not what they pictured, she doesn't look like she sounds, and so on. I knew instantly who Howard's mom was the first time I ever heard her voice on the show. I associate her voice with her appearance, and it seems to fit, perfectly, to me. I guess I'm the only person on the planet who still remembers her from Married... With Children.

They've built Howard's mom up into some sort of inhuman behemoth (another throwback to Married.. With Children), to the point where I don't think they can ever show her without disappointing the audience and ruining the fat mom mystique they've built up. On Married, when they finally decided to "show" Peg's mother, they just showed Peg's father sitting on a big, lumpy, blanket-covered piece of furniture, and pretended it was part of the mother's lap.

Content:

I just figured out/learned that potatoes do not cook better in the microwave if you cut them, first. I've been cooking for myself for decades, and I just learned this two days ago. I was crockpotting up a couple of weeks worth of home-made meals, and I decided to nuke some potatoes to go with them. Instead of my usual method, I cut them into wedges, first, then microwaved them for about sixteen hours until I was forced to acknowledge that they were never going to become the nice, soft potatoes I've come to know and love. Instead, they stayed almost as hard as they are when raw, and dried out to the point of uselessness.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

If you want to microwave potatoes (to par cook them, not to serve them directly), cut them, toss in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for about 5-7 minutes. Then, the important step, finish cooking them somewhere else.

Watch out for steam when you remove the plastic wrap.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, you can do some real time saving tricks with the microwave and veggies. I would use a turned over plate instead of plastic wrap though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Or, if you want to bake them, wrap them tightly and completely in plastic wrap and cook for 13-15 minutes in the microwave. Watch out though, they'll be bitchin hot under the wrapper.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was super high last night and heating some salsa con queso in the microwave when my brain went "con queso... con carne. Evil con Carne, heh. Evil con Carne, evil incarnate OH HOLKY gently caress"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Another good trick for microwave potatoes is:

1. cut them into cubes.
2. place them in a glass bowl and pour a mixture of 2 parts ketchup 1 part water over the entire thing covering the potatoes
3. DO NOT COVER THE BOWL (this will ruin them and create a steam hazard when removing the potatoes from the oven)
4. Microwave on "max" for 55 minutes.

Season as you like. Comes out perfect every time.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was super high last night and heating some salsa con queso in the microwave when my brain went "con queso... con carne. Evil con Carne, heh. Evil con Carne, evil incarnate OH HOLKY gently caress"

drat.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

drat, I took that to be 'evil with meat' when it should have been more like what you're saying 'evil in the flesh'.

Drugs and cartoons, man.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

syscall girl posted:

drat, I took that to be 'evil with meat' when it should have been more like what you're saying 'evil in the flesh'.

Drugs and cartoons, man.

I think I prefer the 'evil with meat' translation. Also if it was a full translation it probably would sound even cooler. I get 'la encarnación del mal' for 'evil incarnate' and 'mal en la carne' for 'evil in the flesh' and 'evil in meat' in Google translate.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MadMattH posted:

I think I prefer the 'evil with meat' translation. Also if it was a full translation it probably would sound even cooler. I get 'la encarnación del mal' for 'evil incarnate' and 'mal en la carne' for 'evil in the flesh' and 'evil in meat' in Google translate.

It's a pun on chili con carne...

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

The Stanley Steemer carpet cleaning company is a pun on the Stanley Motor Company's steam powered cars, also known as "Stanley Steamers."

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Another good trick for microwave potatoes is:

1. cut them into cubes.
2. place them in a glass bowl and pour a mixture of 2 parts ketchup 1 part water over the entire thing covering the potatoes
3. DO NOT COVER THE BOWL (this will ruin them and create a steam hazard when removing the potatoes from the oven)
4. Microwave on "max" for 55 minutes.

Season as you like. Comes out perfect every time.

55 minutes, holy gently caress

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Vidaeus posted:

55 minutes, holy gently caress

Yeah, that can't be right can it? Anything in my microwave for 55 minutes would be on fire briefly and then just a charcoal mess. Plus in that time you could have roasted them in your oven.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
It also roasts your very own potatoes unless you get out of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

kazil posted:

It's a pun on chili con carne...

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a pun on both "chili con carne" and "evil incarnate"

"Evil with meat" = a dopey way of saying "the personification of evil"

My brain might be slightly over 50% bong resin by now so this might all be super obvious, but it blew my god damned mind

EDIT: I just re-read this post, replace "might be" with "is"

• Locked thread