Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Here's a post on Nishkriya by Holden:

Holden, on Nishkriya posted:

I think the system actually performs better in big multi-person brawls than in duels at this point, The tactical field is much deeper, and rewards group strategies. (Defend Other is important.)

Here's what I'm curious about : how dominant, as a strategy in group fights, is focus fire?

Because of how video games and RPGs tend to work, if A, B, and C rumble with 1, 2, and 3, it's generally optimal for A, B, and C to all shoot at 1, while 1, 2, and 3 all shoot at A. However, in like all action movies/stories/comics/whatever ever, what usually actually happens is the two teams pair off according to pre-existing vendettas or personal specialties or whatever.

Is the 3e combat system such that sequential focus fire isn't an overwhelmingly dominant strategy? It feels like it'd be possible to set it up so that's the case, i.e. if you don't attack someone to keep their combat momentum low they get way more dangerous...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Ferrinus posted:

White Wolf games aren't about moving sliders around, nerd! They're about jumping from rooftop to rooftop in such a way as to cause your cloak to swirl dramatically.

Obviously you were playing them wrong, then. We be 4x-ing like motherfuckers in my games.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I suppose the phrase "speak of the devil and he shall appear" is appropriate here because, only three days after thinking about getting into Exalted, my friend, who was unaware of my interest, decides to run a game of it. He's going to be running a 2e game. The powerlevel is still being decided upon because the players are interested in different types. The ideas thrown around, however, were Solar, Abyssal, and Alchemical.

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a little heads up on the game before I play it. I only know a little bit about the mechanics and a smidgen about the setting. Any pit falls to avoid or the such? Common mistakes?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Covok posted:

I suppose the phrase "speak of the devil and he shall appear" is appropriate here because, only three days after thinking about getting into Exalted, my friend, who was unaware of my interest, decides to run a game of it. He's going to be running a 2e game. The powerlevel is still being decided upon because the players are interested in different types. The ideas thrown around, however, were Solar, Abyssal, and Alchemical.

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a little heads up on the game before I play it. I only know a little bit about the mechanics and a smidgen about the setting. Any pit falls to avoid or the such? Common mistakes?

For your character, do not hold back on a concept, and reach for the stars. You are a true badass from character creation.

For your first character, either go Solar for a mixed party, or go with what everyone else is. Abyssals are very similar to Solars just undead and have to deal with their undead masters (I'm going to quote my Abyssal GM with the line "Your bosses are crazy, their bosses are crazier!"). Alchemicals are extremely weird.

Generally it's best if you stay away from Sorcery and that kind of stuff for your first time. Not that there's anything wrong with being a wizard in Exalted, just that they are (for once) a little underpowered and kind of take you away from the parts that make Exalted, well, Exalted. If you take Occult you can dabble into it later, but for now your Charms are going to be the bread and butter of everything you do.

Pick, Melee, Archery, or Throw. One of those three Abilities is a good foundation for your fighting style for when you inevitably get in combat. You can use it as much or as little as you want but you will at least want some so you aren't useless in a fight.

Also give this tutorial a play: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Covok posted:

Everything Krysm says is right. Be Warned: Exalted has errata that basically constitutes Edition #2.5. I would argue that this errata is kind of necessary in order to make Exalted 2e actually fun in practice. Fortunately, this errata is available freely in many places online, including Drivethru RPG.

In addition to that, I'll give some of the ups and downs of the various Exalt types:

Solars: Everything works out of the core book, so you don't need to look at anything besides that and the errata. Your characters do not need to have much knowledge of the setting. You are the default protagonists and can be extremely good at anything.

Abyssals: You will need to cross-reference the Abyssals book, the Core book (some of their charms reference an identical charm in the core book), and the errata. There are some mechanics that pressure you towards being a murderer with no friends, and mechanics that make you suck outside of the Underworld. The worst of the sucking outside of the Underworld was errataed, but not all of it. Some charms require you to have the voices of dead primordials in your head, and some people houserule this.

Alchemicals: Mechanics are odd and a bit complicated, but you can play them basically just using the Alchemicals book and they've needed almost no errata. You only need to reference the core book for core game mechanics and not to build your character. Typically are off in their own techno-world. Have a very different aesthetic from other splats. A few very creepy charms that may need discussion.

I can talk about other types if you want, but I think Solars or Dragonblooded are the best types to play with to begin the game. Dragonblooded are less powerful than Solars in a way that means there will typically be less of a power differential between the Kombat Karls and Well-Rounded Roosevelts at the start of the game. I learned on Dragonblooded, so I am biased in that way. A Solar is probably the best, though, if you are playing in a mixed group, because it is very easy for a Dragonblooded to end up the weakest of the group.

In addition to the combat abilities Krysm listed, I won't totally dissuade you from using Martial Arts as your combat ability, but will suggest that (if a Solar) you stick to the Solar Hero style from the core book, or, if a Dragonblooded, your associated Dragon Style. Other options can be fiddly and can easily leave you underpowered in fights despite spending a ton of XP on fighting stuff charms, and also will require you to cross reference even more books.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

bartkusa posted:

Or, hell, perverted dating sim.

Remember, Lyta's favorite day is Sunday, and her favorite gift is a thousand corpses of her enemies. More than a thousand is wasted; it's best to save up the extra for her next gift. She also responds favorably to daiklaives and stuffed teddy-bears.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Krysmphoenix posted:

For your character, do not hold back on a concept, and reach for the stars. You are a true badass from character creation.

For your first character, either go Solar for a mixed party, or go with what everyone else is. Abyssals are very similar to Solars just undead and have to deal with their undead masters (I'm going to quote my Abyssal GM with the line "Your bosses are crazy, their bosses are crazier!"). Alchemicals are extremely weird.

Generally it's best if you stay away from Sorcery and that kind of stuff for your first time. Not that there's anything wrong with being a wizard in Exalted, just that they are (for once) a little underpowered and kind of take you away from the parts that make Exalted, well, Exalted. If you take Occult you can dabble into it later, but for now your Charms are going to be the bread and butter of everything you do.

Pick, Melee, Archery, or Throw. One of those three Abilities is a good foundation for your fighting style for when you inevitably get in combat. You can use it as much or as little as you want but you will at least want some so you aren't useless in a fight.

Also give this tutorial a play: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Everything Krysm says is right. Be Warned: Exalted has errata that basically constitutes Edition #2.5. I would argue that this errata is kind of necessary in order to make Exalted 2e actually fun in practice. Fortunately, this errata is available freely in many places online, including Drivethru RPG.

In addition to that, I'll give some of the ups and downs of the various Exalt types:

Solars: Everything works out of the core book, so you don't need to look at anything besides that and the errata. Your characters do not need to have much knowledge of the setting. You are the default protagonists and can be extremely good at anything.

Abyssals: You will need to cross-reference the Abyssals book, the Core book (some of their charms reference an identical charm in the core book), and the errata. There are some mechanics that pressure you towards being a murderer with no friends, and mechanics that make you suck outside of the Underworld. The worst of the sucking outside of the Underworld was errataed, but not all of it. Some charms require you to have the voices of dead primordials in your head, and some people houserule this.

Alchemicals: Mechanics are odd and a bit complicated, but you can play them basically just using the Alchemicals book and they've needed almost no errata. You only need to reference the core book for core game mechanics and not to build your character. Typically are off in their own techno-world. Have a very different aesthetic from other splats. A few very creepy charms that may need discussion.

I can talk about other types if you want, but I think Solars or Dragonblooded are the best types to play with to begin the game. Dragonblooded are less powerful than Solars in a way that means there will typically be less of a power differential between the Kombat Karls and Well-Rounded Roosevelts at the start of the game. I learned on Dragonblooded, so I am biased in that way. A Solar is probably the best, though, if you are playing in a mixed group, because it is very easy for a Dragonblooded to end up the weakest of the group.

In addition to the combat abilities Krysm listed, I won't totally dissuade you from using Martial Arts as your combat ability, but will suggest that (if a Solar) you stick to the Solar Hero style from the core book, or, if a Dragonblooded, your associated Dragon Style. Other options can be fiddly and can easily leave you underpowered in fights despite spending a ton of XP on fighting stuff charms, and also will require you to cross reference even more books.

First off, I'd like to thank you both for your advice. That tutorial will likely be very helpful and its surprising to hear magic is underpowered.

For balance reasons, my friend plans on running everyone as the same exalt type. It's more that, since we haven't finished recruiting, we don't have a agreement. So I will be going with whatever the group picks. I was the one in favor of Solars because, to me, they seemed like the "good guys" when I scrolled through the book. My friend chuckled a bit when I said that, but didn't explain why. Do you guys know?

I am aware that the mechanics for this game are pretty wonky (it's the reason for why I was more interested in 1e which I heard was better), but is it really unfun without the errata? As in, is it a slog? I'm sure my friend will use the errata, but I am curious now that you brought that up.

You mentioned "creepy charms." Could you elaborate? Since all the players know next to nothing about the game, the player whose interested in alchemicals might want to know that exists.

I wouldn't want you to go through all the exalt types, as that might be a bit of work, but, if you could explain lunars, that would be swell.

Also, how is throw a useful combat ability? Is it just throwing things? Seems a bit narrow.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Covok posted:

I was the one in favor of Solars because, to me, they seemed like the "good guys" when I scrolled through the book. My friend chuckled a bit when I said that, but didn't explain why. Do you guys know?

Solars are heroes, not necessarily "good guys". Like Hercules, who slew Hydras and Nemean Lions all the live-long day and was probably a huge help to the people who were no longer in danger of being eaten by those things, but he also killed his wife and children in a delusional rage.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
Given, it can be a lot easier to be a good person and a Solar than be a good person and a Dragonblooded, or an Abyssal. In the latter cases, you have institutions built up around you getting rewarded for being a terrible person. A slave who Exalts into a Solar can take up their chains and smash open the skulls of all slavers, not having to worry about some institution of their peers coming around and offering them cake and blowjobs if they enforce imperialistic dogma and/or kill the entire world.

At least until you limit break, but still.

Anyway, yeah, morality is more a function of the individual than any group, affiliation, or type of Exalt you are. Solars can be as nasty as anything, or as noble as anyone. Usually whenever people form up into groups, kingdoms, guilds, etc., Exalted tends to assume that they're going to be fuckers in one way or another. It's very cynical about the concept of rulership as a whole.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
The most important thing for having a good Exalted game is this: Everyone, GM and player alike, must have a solid understanding of what is expected out of the campaign, and must be willing to not exploit the system to 'win'.

More so than with other, cleaner, systems it is vital that everyone be on the same page. Doing the mechanically optimum thing at all times produces much less fun gameplay than being willing to take risks and this requires that NPCs do the same.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Covok posted:

I am aware that the mechanics for this game are pretty wonky (it's the reason for why I was more interested in 1e which I heard was better), but is it really unfun without the errata? As in, is it a slog? I'm sure my friend will use the errata, but I am curious now that you brought that up.

You mentioned "creepy charms." Could you elaborate? Since all the players know next to nothing about the game, the player whose interested in alchemicals might want to know that exists.

I wouldn't want you to go through all the exalt types, as that might be a bit of work, but, if you could explain lunars, that would be swell.

Also, how is throw a useful combat ability? Is it just throwing things? Seems a bit narrow.

Let me address these in order:

1. It CAN be fun without the errata, but combat, especially at Solar level and above, can be a boring slog or total bullshit. This is because you and your strongest adversaries can get charms that let you spend a tiny number of motes (roughly like MP in Final Fantasy) to make an attack do nothing. There are combinations of charms and effects that can render someone basically invincible, and the "optimal" strategy was often to use basic attacks over and over until someone ran out of motes. A good GM can avoid this with adversaries, but there is still the possibility of a player making a character who can be basically invincible. Sometimes by accident. Also, the Sorcerer-type Solars (Twilight) got an anima banner that was overpowered bullshit forcefields that made it really easy for them to become invincible archers. There were also other issues, like Artifact weapons making it too easy to one-shot anyone and render armor irrelevant, and also charms that let you manufacture overpowered weapons from your soul that could render other overpowered weapons obsolete, and just a lot of things.

2. I'm not a big fan of sex in games. Alchemicals have a charm that, among other benefits, makes them really good at sex and lets them influence people specially after sex. They also have a charm that lets them slip something in someone's drink and leaves them really pliable to suggestions afterwards, and a series of charms about paralyzing people and mentally torturing them. The charms are not unsalvageable and can certainly be reskinned for use in almost any game, but they're the sort of thing worth discussing beforehand if you are going to play Alchemicals.

3. Lunars are very cool in an all-Lunars game. You get BEAST MODE, get shapeshifting, and they have connections to the setting through Lunar organizations that Solars don't typically get. In a game where they are alongside Solars, though, they typically need at least some houserules to keep up. Otherwise, the Solars can end up better at everything. In an all-Lunars game, that isn't such a problem, but there are some complaints to be made about too many of their charms referencing animals (The Exalted of Zoo Tycoon) and Combat-oriented Lunars getting more options than Social or Intellectual/Magical ones.

Lunars are....the subject of many, many debates in the Exalted community, and while everyone agrees their 2e incarnation has issues, there are lots of disagreements about how to fix them. Debates about other things often become debates about how to fix Lunars. There is actually a complete fan rewrite of Lunars to make them less animalistic and more like primordial shapeshifting monsters. Some people like it very much, some people hate it, most people are in-between. It is called Terrifying Argent Witches, if you would like to Google it.

I would not suggest them for your very first game, because their mechanics are a little more complicated than Solars due to shapeshifting and mutations.

4. Just really briefly, I'll go over the rest of the Exalt types:

Infernals: rear end in a top hat Solars From Hell. Mostly solid mechanics, but they come with a mechanic that Urges you to be a gaping rear end in a top hat (unless you change it to something else) and their fluff exemplifies all of the worst things about Exalted 2e. As in, like, don't leave their book where people can find it.

Sidereals: Kung Fu CIA Agents From Heaven. Their mechanics are comparatively weird and complicated, and they are totally dysfunctional without errata. They are really good at kung fu and disguising themselves, and have lots of other strange abilities, often involving rewriting destiny. I do not suggest them for a first game, but I really like them.

Dragonblooded: Imperial Elemental Footsoldiers. The littlest Exalted, typically scions of the setting-defining imperial power. Some of their mechanics are a bit fiddly and they're the least powerful of the Exalt types, but overall solid and a Dragonblooded game is great for learning more about the setting.

There are also rules for playing as mortals and weird things besides Exalts, but those comprise probably fewer than 10% of Exalted games because those rules typically aren't quite as complete or fun as the ones for being Exalts.

5. Thrown is perhaps the narrowest of the combat abilities; Melee and Martial Arts can do double duty as both a defensive ability and an offensive ability, because they let you parry things. Archery often lets you stay out of range of enemies. Thrown typically requires you to be in medium range, so not as far away as Archery, but you can't normally parry poo poo with your throwing weapons, so you'll probably also need to invest in Dodge some. But, the Solar charms for it are really good and you can get badass returning thrown weapons, so I wouldn't say it's underpowered.

6. Minor thing everyone might want to know: Dexterity is the most important attribute in combat, because it affects your ability to hit (which, in turn, has secondary effects on how much damage you can deal) and your defense, whether you are focused on Parrying (Melee/Martial Arts) or dodging attacks (Dodge). It's better if everyone knows this going in. This issue is compounded by the fact that it's a huge pain in the rear end to raise Attributes after character generation because of the XP costs and training times (ignore training times, they're pointless), so many experienced players start their combat-focused Exalts at Dexterity 5.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Covok posted:

For balance reasons, my friend plans on running everyone as the same exalt type. It's more that, since we haven't finished recruiting, we don't have a agreement. So I will be going with whatever the group picks. I was the one in favor of Solars because, to me, they seemed like the "good guys" when I scrolled through the book. My friend chuckled a bit when I said that, but didn't explain why. Do you guys know?

He chuckled because Solars are heroes in the classical mythological sense, not in the modern sense of the word hero. Which is to say, hero in the classical mythological sense does not necessarily involve being selfless or good. It means being great. Gilgamesh and Hercules are great men, they do great and amazing things, not necessarily good things. That is what makes them heroes to the classical mind set. They are also, however, assholes.

Doesn't mean you have to be an rear end in a top hat but yeah, it's not uncommon for Solars to be terrible people or for their good deeds to be totally incidental to their quest for greatness.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 20, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Covok posted:

First off, I'd like to thank you both for your advice. That tutorial will likely be very helpful and its surprising to hear magic is underpowered.

Most of the other people explained things pretty well, so here's my take since I've made characters for both of these.

Actually my first character was a Sorcerer. Technically a Sorcerer/Necromancer since she was an Abyssal but the Sorcery has been used more. Sorcery has a charge up time, but when it goes off, it's big and powerful. However, the main reason it's so weak is that it doesn't benefit from Excellencies, which let you either roll more dice or get auto-successes for that Ability. A simple houserule for that is to let Excellencies (and pretty much only Excellencies, no other charms) work with Spell. Also spells are kind of underwhelming because they are individually cool, but you can't combo them with anything directly. Several charm trees have charms that work well with each other. If you are interested in this, big abilities are Occult (more powerful spell-attacks) and Awareness (after you cast a spell, you need to re-roll initiative in a weird way). All three Mental Attributes are helpful in ways, but Intelligence is slightly more useful. Also take high Conviction since spells eat up your Willpower and that gets you your willpower back.

And Throw is perfectly valid. Yes, it's a good midrange option so make sure you have some Dodge to go with it. On it's own it's not impressive but the charms are awesome. For example, there's a Dragonblooded charm that lets you throw a weapon, and for a pretty cheap cost the weapon will just stay in the air and keep attacking. Next turn, you can throw more weapons and keep doing this. It escalates pretty quickly, although combat might not last long enough to get the full benefit. Still, it's awesome. This is two charms in, right after the "return my weapons to me" charm. It only goes up from there. And I think there are a few occasional non-combat applications. I vaguely remember hearing about a Solar charm where you can perform any action provided you can throw the tools where the action takes place. This can include unlocking a door, doing calligraphy, or even performing surgery. Either way, you'll want very high Dexterity for Throw, and probably good Perception as well since a few Throw charms deal with it.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Krysmphoenix posted:

And Throw is perfectly valid. Yes, it's a good midrange option so make sure you have some Dodge to go with it. On it's own it's not impressive but the charms are awesome. For example, there's a Dragonblooded charm that lets you throw a weapon, and for a pretty cheap cost the weapon will just stay in the air and keep attacking. Next turn, you can throw more weapons and keep doing this. It escalates pretty quickly, although combat might not last long enough to get the full benefit. Still, it's awesome. This is two charms in, right after the "return my weapons to me" charm. It only goes up from there. And I think there are a few occasional non-combat applications. I vaguely remember hearing about a Solar charm where you can perform any action provided you can throw the tools where the action takes place. This can include unlocking a door, doing calligraphy, or even performing surgery. Either way, you'll want very high Dexterity for Throw, and probably good Perception as well since a few Throw charms deal with it.

I should also mention that Axes/Hatchets and Javelins/Some Spears are valid for Thrown and Melee. So instead of Dodge, you can get Thrown and Melee, using your weapons to parry, attack in melee, and attack from mid-range. Specifically for Solars, Thrown Charms let you do fun things like make attacks that people have trouble noticing came from you, explode people from stealth, silence people, and throw an arbitrarily high number of duplicates of your weapon (resolved mechanically as one undodgeable hyper-accurate attack). It has a lot of synergy with Stealth, actually.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doesn't mean you have to be an rear end in a top hat but yeah, it's not uncommon for Solars to be terrible people or for their good deeds to be totally incidental to their quest for greatness.

And just because a Solar is a good person doesn't mean that their being good isn't going to be massively destructive and disruptive of people's lives. A good Solar is a powerful force for good, but it's powerful like a nuclear bomb. They solve all their problems with Acts of God. Even when they're subtle, they're subtle like the wind- invisible, ever-present, all-encompassing, and capable of massive destructive power at any time with no warning. :black101:

Well, that's the theory, anyway. When the rubber meets the road, the power of a Solar can vary dramatically depending on how well the player spent their feats. You could have one Solar be the Green Arrow and another Solar be The Martian Manhunter on the same XP. :smith:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I like to think that the harm Solars cause is largely incidental to them being so powerful. Like, okay, let's say you have... I don't know, Radiant Apostrophe, Zenith Caste. RadApo thinks that slavery is bad. This is a normal thought that a good person would probably have. The trick is that RadApo can wake up one morning and just kind of... make everybody else also think it's bad. Is that okay? He's using (essentially) his force of personality to make an entire society give up their slaves. Then he runs into another guy of equal power doing the same thing to another society and... well, it compounds. This is ignoring that fact that occasionally our hero will run into a slaver and have a temper tantrum wherein he pulls the guy and his entire merchant company apart at the seams.

e: In other words Solars force us to ask the question, "What happens to our moral qualms when there is no barrier to us enforcing those qualms on literally everybody?" Don't get me wrong, slavery is badwrong and RadApo is right for thinking so, but the degree to which he can take that moral imperative to its logical conclusion (and wouldn't you, if you could?) makes us examine the consequences of doing that poo poo.

And that's also ignoring the fact that RadApo's only thesis is 'slavery is bad.' Most Solars have more nuanced motivations.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 20, 2014

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Covok posted:

While others have mentioned the drawbacks of Throw, I'll not some benefits. Throwing weapons are generally faster than archery weapons, capable of launching more attacks in a round and having less cooldown between actions. Those are both very important parts of how Exalted 2.5 combat rolls. Flurries, an action that lets you throw multiple less-accurate attacks instead of a single regular one, math out to being more effective than bigger single swings in most situations. Archery is for slow, methodical sniping with relatively heavy attacks. Throw is for getting in there and blitzing people with endless waves of knives, hatchets, needles, large rocks, pots of oil, lit fireworks, and whatever else manages to fall into your hands.

On that note, I'll highly recommend the book Scroll of Kings as an addon to any new game. The lore half of it is about the militaries of various parts of the setting and how they get things done, while the mechanics half is a sizable list of additional nonmagic weapons that add a lot of variety to your equipment options without piling new complexity onto the rules. It also provides stats for vehicles like chariots, battlewagons, and boats in case your party wants a party van and someone wants to try the Sail or Ride skills.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Throw an arbitrarily high number of duplicates of your weapon (resolved mechanically as one undodgeable hyper-accurate attack).

Even better, there's nothing stopping you using this charm with improvised throwing weapons. Which in one game I was in led to the beautiful one million Camel Rain attack.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

And when in doubt, just carry Tons Of Knives and pin people to walls using their clothes, because you can do that.

I do recommend Solars or Dragonblooded to start. DBs are the weakest but I find them very solid mechanically. Solars are super-awesome at anything they set to do, but likely the reason your ST laughed was because Solars are also more prone than other Exalted to fall to their curse, which is often Bad. And, like others have pointed out, being a Hero doesn't mean you are a good or bad person... rather, your actions are capable of changing the world.

Think big. Think ridiculous. Think awesome. Mechanics may trip you up, but you are totally the guy that can throw a dart and hit a fly on top of a cliff several miles away in the middle of the eyes.

I recommend against Lunars mostly because just trying to select their charms is a goddamned mess.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
So I'm working on Limit Break for my Exalted hack and I'd like some feedback. Under my system, everyone has a Limit Track - Raksha, Exalts, mortals and so on. Limit Break isn't the result of an ancient curse, it's just what happens when people are pushed to their limit. Here's what I've got so far:

Limit and Limit Break posted:

• While in Limit Break, one Intimacy - most often Major or Core - dominates the character’s actions. As a Hard Compulsion effect, every action they take must in some way express or make progress towards expressing that Intimacy.
  • For instance, a character indulging their love of drink might leap over a bar counter, grab a bottle of wine and smash it over the head of anyone who tries to stop them.
  • Characters acting under the influence of Limit Break are, as you may imagine, completely irrational in pursuit of fulfilling their Intimacy.
  • For instance, any character driven by an Intimacy of hatred towards something is likely to lash out at anything which reminds them of the object of their hatred in the absence of the object itself.
  • By default, Limit Break lasts until the character has exhausted all avenues of action or until they're no longer able to act.
  • For instance, the character may have drunken themselves unconscious in an alleyway, murdered the man they believe has slept with their husband, severed ties with their friends, burnt down their house, been imprisoned or simply fallen asleep.
  • The Intimacy should in some way relate to whatever pushed them over the edge, or it should be an Intimacy the character could indulge to relax themselves.
  • The average person’s Limit Track holds 10 Limit.

Given all that, I'm wondering how I can make Solar Limit Break bigger and crazier, or even if I need to. Naturally the threshold for exhausting all avenues of action is much higher if you're a Solar, and it's also much harder to stop Solars from acting. I'm also wondering whether I should limit Solars to a single Cursed Intimacy, but I'm leaning away from that because it feels too narrow. I might even get rid of the Great Curse entirely and just say "this is what happens when demigods lose control of themselves."

Kerzoro posted:

I recommend against Lunars mostly because just trying to select their charms is a goddamned mess.

If you want a cool take on Lunars with functioning mechanics, take a look at the Terrifying Argent Witches rewrite. It's fantastic!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Archery is for slow, methodical sniping with relatively heavy attacks. Throw is for getting in there and blitzing people with endless waves of knives, hatchets, needles, large rocks, pots of oil, lit fireworks, and whatever else manages to fall into your hands.

So Thrown is to Brawl as Archery is to Melee?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Bigup DJ posted:

So Thrown is to Brawl as Archery is to Melee?

And of course, all of that breaks down the moment charms come into play.

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Bigup DJ posted:

So I'm working on Limit Break for my Exalted hack and I'd like some feedback. Under my system, everyone has a Limit Track - Raksha, Exalts, mortals and so on. Limit Break isn't the result of an ancient curse, it's just what happens when people are pushed to their limit. Here's what I've got so far:

Given all that, I'm wondering how I can make Solar Limit Break bigger and crazier, or even if I need to. Naturally the threshold for exhausting all avenues of action is much higher if you're a Solar, and it's also much harder to stop Solars from acting. I'm also wondering whether I should limit Solars to a single Cursed Intimacy, but I'm leaning away from that because it feels too narrow. I might even get rid of the Great Curse entirely and just say "this is what happens when demigods lose control of themselves."
You're going overboard with this. The main reason that Limit Breaks were included in the game was to coerce players into having and acting on character flaws to emulate things like the Odysseus' Achilles' Great Sulk or Herakles' Big Rage. Direct player coercion seldom works well, and of all the Limit Breaks I've seen in my group only one was legitimately interesting—players will game the Limit track like they will anything else, and often the triggered Break will have no bearing on the scene in which it happens. It's simpler, more effective and more fun for everyone involved if you implement something like FATE's Aspects, which reward you for getting in trouble.

quote:

If you want a cool take on Lunars with functioning mechanics, take a look at the Terrifying Argent Witches rewrite. It's fantastic!

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Lunars to any starting player. The mechanical problems in their base mechanics are hard to grasp when you're unfamiliar with the system, and the stuff in TAW is both more complex than core Solar or Dragon-Blooded Charms and also different from anything the player might have read about Lunars in the Core or MoEP: Lunars book. You will never regret making a Solar as your starting character, and they will likely be the best introduction you could have for the game. That's more than you can say for any other Exalt type.

Lymond fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 21, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lymond posted:

You're going overboard with this. The main reason that Limit Breaks were included in the game was to coerce players into having and acting on character flaws to emulate things like the Odysseus' Great Sulk or Herakles' Big Rage. Direct player coercion seldom works well, and of all the Limit Breaks I've seen in my group only one was legitimately interesting—players will game the Limit track like they will anything else, and often the triggered Break will have no bearing on the scene in which it happens. It's simpler, more effective and more fun for everyone involved if you implement something like FATE's Aspects, which reward you for getting in trouble.

Thanks! These are all good points. I don't have time to respond to them right now but it'd be great if you could tell me about the Limit Break which was legitimately interesting.

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Bigup DJ posted:

Thanks! These are all good points. I don't have time to respond to them right now but it'd be great if you could tell me about the one which was legitimately interesting.

Sure. We had a Dawn Caste who had Reckless Endangerment as his Virtue Flaw. He and his Circle were rescuing the crew of a downed airship out in the jungle, and he Broke after killing a swarm of beastmen that were attacking the wreck. Upon learning of where the beastmen were coming from he just left without talking to anyone and charged their main army, commanded by two Half-Caste Lunar beastmen, on his own. He was a well-built Essence 3 character with Resistance and Melee Charms so he did fairly decently. By when the rest of his Circle arrived his essence reserves were depleted and he was heavily wounded, and a good chunk of the enemy army had panicked and fled due to rout checks. It was a really tense and cool moment.

But like I said, that was the one time. No other Limit Break in a 4 year+ game registered. Since we switched to using FATE as our engine we've had several such moments, including a beautiful one in which an Abyssal PC broke several of the Resonance rules in close succession. When the Storyteller judged it to be full according to MoEP: Abyssals guidelines he leaned forward with three tokens held up in his hand.
"I'm invoking your Dark Fate aspect. I'll give you three Fate Points if it kills your mortal lover in a burst of Resonance."
The player struggled with the decision but eventually agreed. That was an amazing moment, and it wouldn't have gone that way if we had been using standard Exalted mechanics.

Lymond fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 21, 2014

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Bigup DJ posted:

Echoing the"this is too complicated" sentiment. You're doing a *World hack, yeah? If I were you I'd take a look at Monsterhearts and its Darkest Self mechanic. It's pretty much Limit Break done perfectly in the *World system.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lymond posted:

You're going overboard with this. The main reason that Limit Breaks were included in the game was to coerce players into having and acting on character flaws to emulate things like the Odysseus' Achilles' Great Sulk or Herakles' Big Rage. Direct player coercion seldom works well, and of all the Limit Breaks I've seen in my group only one was legitimately interesting—players will game the Limit track like they will anything else, and often the triggered Break will have no bearing on the scene in which it happens. It's simpler, more effective and more fun for everyone involved if you implement something like FATE's Aspects, which reward you for getting in trouble.

GimpInBlack posted:

Echoing the"this is too complicated" sentiment. You're doing a *World hack, yeah? If I were you I'd take a look at Monsterhearts and its Darkest Self mechanic. It's pretty much Limit Break done perfectly in the *World system.

I've just read Monsterhearts over and the Darkest Self is exactly what I'm going for. Limit Break looks the same as the Darkest Self in my head, but I can see I've done a bad job explaining it. This is also very interesting when you compare it to what Lymond said about granting rewards for getting in trouble - most of the Darkest Selves don't give you any mechanical reward, but I feel like a cool story is reward enough.

If I'm getting rid of the Great Curse I may as well get rid of Limit too - it doesn't serve much purpose anyway. I'll draft up a replacement move.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The original use of the Limit track was as a way of helping insulate Exalted from Primordial attacks that caused soul incineration. (Dragon Kings had no Limit track.) If you don't have a soul burning mechanic in your game, and Exalted itself barely does for PCs, you can probably get away with chunking it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Gearhead posted:

The original use of the Limit track was as a way of helping insulate Exalted from Primordial attacks that caused soul incineration. (Dragon Kings had no Limit track.) If you don't have a soul burning mechanic in your game, and Exalted itself barely does for PCs, you can probably get away with chunking it.

Well, that's the fictional origin. That justification itself is pretty recent, though (last few years or so), and it's perfectly feasible to come up with another method of resisting soul burning.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It's like an appendix that causes insanity!

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Gearhead posted:

It's also a shining example of dumb, overexplained and over-mechanized 2e lore in action.

In anticipation of threats to your chosen warrior's essential being, The Great Maker has imbued them LimitTrack(tm) Psychological Crumple Zones(tm) which mitigate spiritual impacts by redirecting the thaumo-kinetic forces into their capacity for high reason. In Nine-in-ten high-yeild meditative crash tests, LimitTrack(tm) protection resulted in temporary insanity when subjected to stresses which caused total existential failure in standard rigid-spirited beings.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
On the other hand, imagine the crash test dummy.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Gearhead posted:

On the other hand, imagine the crash test dummy.

Thus, the first Alchemical was born!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Thus, the first Alchemical was born!

I could totally see this...

groovetastic
May 15, 2013

Stephenls posted:

We'll answer those concerns eventually in a definitive way; it may, or may not, be a definitive answer you like or can accept. But further information is not available here.

Measure once, cut twice, Spanner.

I'd prefer to Crash Free!

groovetastic
May 15, 2013

Bigup DJ posted:

A man can dream. :(

It's just so awful watching people put out all these really clear critiques of what's wrong with development and then having StephenLS ignore them completely and respond to stuff which just isn't that important in the scheme of things - minor quibbles over the setting and so on. I mean it's just a game and in the end I don't really mind how it turns out, but like I said, it's awful watching someone ignore all these glaring problems.

This is the reason why I will most likely not back another Exalted product, ever again. This is a customer service, marketing and production failure.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

groovetastic posted:

Measure once, cut twice, Spanner.

I'd prefer to Crash Free!

I get it now. Exalted fandom is the Swarm.

groovetastic
May 15, 2013

Ego Trip posted:

I get it now. Exalted fandom is the Swarm.

All the Exalted hacks out there are Crasher attempts to Crash Free beyond Storyteller, aka Swarm Prime.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

quote:

I'm going to make this thread and I don't even care what some people will say in defending Exalted.

I've been a sort of fan of Exalted for a few years now, but I have never, ever been able to truly get into it. The fluff is top notch, really. It's very similar to a lot of MK's written works for TES. The system is great; playing an Exalted (from what I've seen) is quite a refreshing experience juxtaposed to the traditional RPG character.

I only have one big issue with it- it's so Eastern influenced that I can barely get into any of it at all. Especially with the art style and presentation of the different cultures (so many of the seem to be variations on Chinese or Japanese culture).

quote:

This is where I kind of want to argue a bit. Exalted also takes a generic and light-weight image of Asian culture. It's inspired by it, not an accurate representation. Actually, the individualism, upheaval and pure personal potential an Exalt embodies is something I personally find highly at odds with the Asian idea of obligation and family honour (disclaimer, I know very little of Asian culture).

The white wolf forums are truly a magical place.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Will somebody please think of the guy who doesn't 'get' nonwhite people? They're a consumer critically underserved by modern fantasy gaming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Attorney at Funk posted:

Will somebody please think of the guy who doesn't 'get' nonwhite people? They're a consumer critically underserved by modern fantasy gaming!

Actually you'll find, if you read his thread, that modern fantasy gaming falls critically short of the True Representative Beauty of Merrie Englande, except for High Rock in the elder scrolls games. Don't YOU look a fool!

• Locked thread