Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Say Nothing posted:

So she just got naked and turned into a fish in front of her kid?

The fact that she did it in front of her child is the bit that bothers you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Ema Nymton posted:

Imagine what it would be like to be someone who's never heard of Holbrook looking at this strip for the very first time, with no context.

I don't have to imagine that. I'm amused and confused and not going to go back to read the context.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Valiantman posted:

I don't have to imagine that. I'm amused and confused and not going to go back to read the context.

Well, the gist of it is that trapeze guy is a time traveller come back from after world war 4 (when Australia successfully inverted the worlds' gravity to give us a strategic advantage) in order to stop the rise of his least favourite breakfast cereal.

His wife is the resurrected-daily clone of the best plate of fish and chips he ever had, whom he grew to love (after getting sick of having fish every night for 2 years in a row) and eventually paid off his geneticist friend to develop a DNA cocktail to turn her human every morning. Don't ask where the potato or lemon went into her genetic makeup.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Pidmon posted:

Well, the gist of it is that trapeze guy is a time traveller come back from after world war 4 (when Australia successfully inverted the worlds' gravity to give us a strategic advantage) in order to stop the rise of his least favourite breakfast cereal.

His wife is the resurrected-daily clone of the best plate of fish and chips he ever had, whom he grew to love (after getting sick of having fish every night for 2 years in a row) and eventually paid off his geneticist friend to develop a DNA cocktail to turn her human every morning. Don't ask where the potato or lemon went into her genetic makeup.

I genuinely can't tell if you're joking.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Uh, what? Is Steve Kelley loving with us?

How on earth did this strip confuse you? The call and response of his niceties with cashiers is all jumbled up, which is presumably the most he ever talks to anyone.

Momma]

Tom Gauld finally updated

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mr. Squishy posted:

How on earth did this strip confuse you? The call and response of his niceties with cashiers is all jumbled up, which is presumably the most he ever talks to anyone.
I'm confused as to how Ed is actually nice to the customer service clerks for a change. That's not the Ed I know.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

:golfclap:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

I'm dead curious how you managed that on a trapeze.

Ema Nymton posted:

Imagine what it would be like to be someone who's never heard of Holbrook looking at this strip for the very first time, with no context.

This. Exactly. I mean, if you look at the strip objectively, it makes no sense at all. Zero. There's not even a joke. And the "midnight feedings" comment seems a little creepy.

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

:ughh: Nope.

Heavenly Nostrils

"Moe" :v:

Kliban's Cats

:)

9 Chickweed Lane 2/20/2003

:ughh: Where did she come from? Was she hanging from a light fixture, or something?

Zits

Speaking of not making any sense.

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

Nemi

:v:

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac :catstare: the comic.

The Creeps shows how easily a day can be ruined and improved by the same action.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 2, 1926)

All well and good, but how the hell is that supposed to sell Christmas Seals?

Peanuts tells the story of my life. (February 23, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

So will the lawsuit be over ageism or that she was bumped off of TV with a limp pun?

Popeye, in which it still hasn't dawned on anybody that they're got a little kid locked up in grown-up jail.

Rip Haywire

Pogo, in which Mam'selle gets with the program. (February 23, 1956)

Out Our Way (June 25-26, 1924)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/20/2003

:ughh: Where did she come from? Was she hanging from a light fixture, or something?

Looks like somebody just earned a free trip to the emergency room! :toot:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Midnight Moth posted:

I'm confused as to how Ed is actually nice to the customer service clerks for a change. That's not the Ed I know.

Ah, fair dos. Maybe they've skipped the 20 minute pedantic argument.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There stands Extravagant Headgear Comix.

Pooch Café

Let's try this again.

Ballard Street

Come on, Stewart, that's not how we do thing on Ballard Street. Look to the pulley guy or the one that hands out Fish Facts from a table on his front lawn every weekend. Don't hide your light under a bushel!

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (December 2, 1926)

You just try and tell me that first panel ain't one big euphemism.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Prettiest House

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

SubNat posted:

The Prettiest House

Ahhhhhhhhhh, look at those panel dividers in the last strip!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

:effort:

:yum:

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

The Flying McCoys is a joint effort between the guy who does The Duplex and his brother, Gary.

Foolish Mortals is another 'gag-a-day' single-panel strip, because you just can't get enough of those!

For Heaven's Sake follows the mad-cap, zany adventures of a Reverend with an attitude!
The art always makes me think of Shoe.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Callin' it. Tranny.
Please don't use that word, it's incredibly offensive and hurtful. You wouldn't say "Callin' it. human being." if they were hinting at a male character being gay, for example.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Woebin posted:

Please don't use that word, it's incredibly offensive and hurtful. You wouldn't say "Callin' it. human being." if they were hinting at a male character being gay, for example.

Yep, you're right, that was out of line. I apologize, and it's edited out.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

This was the story line I was expecting.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yep, you're right, that was out of line. I apologize, and it's edited out.
Besides, a strap-on is more likely.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Marmaduke circa 1968

Mike du Jour

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

SubNat posted:

The Prettiest House

I've finally caught up all the way after the longest time and I just want to say, with this and the last storyline I have gained a new appreciation for Moomin comics, they really are wonderful.

Darthemed posted:

The Flying McCoys is a joint effort between the guy who does The Duplex and his brother, Gary.

Aaaaand as usual Lester and the McCoys can go gently caress themselves. What I want to know is how the comic strips by two awful, shitheaded conservative political cartoonists (The Duplex and Mike Du Jour) can be so bizarrely similar, right down to an obsession with lame puns. They even both have "Du" in the title! Did they plan this? Are they a hive-mind?? Are they both uncreative morons whose "work" should never grace the comics page again???

(It's the last one, but I won't discount the other two as contributing factors.)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Darthemed posted:

Oh god, first Mike Lester and now the McCoys?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Bitchtits McGee posted:

You just try and tell me that first panel ain't one big euphemism.

Yeah, that first panel is pretty much "why don't you give me good deep-dickings any more, grandpa?"

"Woman, I just done hosed your pussy raw, what are you on about?"

Am I reading the rest right? Grandma is jealous of one of her husband's old friends and then uses that as emotional blackmail until he caves and gives her money to shut up?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Funnies (#7, January 2012)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #61, April 1961)

Thorn (April 9-11, 1984)

Lucky Cow (May 30, 2004)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Besides, a strap-on is more likely.
I don't see what you're trying to say here. What does the presence of a strap-on have to do with Ted being or not being trans?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bGVT4-1DBU

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Woebin posted:

I don't see what you're trying to say here. What does the presence of a strap-on have to do with Ted being or not being trans?

I believe that was what we in the naval profession call a "joke", Mansell.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Can we please shut up about Ted and any of the related social justice issues in the comic strip thread? It never ends well, and I just want to read about Garbage Ape and Iron Jonah.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Bitchtits McGee posted:

I believe that was what we in the naval profession call a "joke".

Could you explain the joke then? I didn't get it either :(

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Octatonic posted:

Could you explain the joke then? I didn't get it either :(

It's Alzheimer's.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It's Alzheimer's.

The third time will be when we laugh harder.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

You can tell that the artist had a hell of a lot more fun with a straightedge than she did with the crusty old ink pen she kind of swiped around in order to make cruel mockery of the human form.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Woebin posted:

I have no idea, but I just noticed that "strap-on" backwards is "no parts!" :ironicat:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Really Pants posted:

I have no idea, but I just noticed that "strap-on" backwards is "no parts!" :ironicat:

Oh Lord. :v:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Really Pants posted:

:drat: just taught me something I didn't know.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

:stare:

You just blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Really Pants posted:

And on that bombshell...

Johnny Hazard

Bet you :20bux: that photographer's not a "he". (Settle down, Woebin.)

Krazy Kat

...okay? Maybe this'll pay off tomorrow.

Classic Mandrake

Why is Gorilla giving Lothar a footrub?

• Locked thread